PDA

View Full Version : Featherston: Duke Football Preview

Bob Green
08-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I know there are already multiple active football threads on the first page, but I absolutely had to start another one after reading Al Featherston's preview because it is quality journalism that deserves to standout:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=48166

After providing an optimistic outlook, Mr. Featherston provides fans three reasons for pessimism in 2013.

Are there tangible reasons to be pessimistic? I can suggest a few:

– The transition from Renfree to Boone at quarterback.

– The youth of the secondary.

– Does Duke have the linebackers to be effective defensively?

He then proceeds to refute all three reasons leaving the reader more optimistic than he/she was after reading the optimistic section of the preview.

Another great Al Featherston article well worth the read so I encourage everyone to read it, link it, discuss it and live it. It's a little less than 70 hours to kick-off according to my clock.

duke09hms
08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
After providing an optimistic outlook, Mr. Featherston provides fans three reasons for pessimism in 2013.

He then proceeds to refute all three reasons leaving the reader more optimistic than he/she was after reading the optimistic section of the preview.

I agree he does a great job of refuting the first reason (Boone at QB), but he really doesn't refute the inexperienced secondary or the weak linebacking corps nor do I think he's trying to. He's presenting our weaknesses quite fairly. We have a lot of question marks in the secondary and at linebacker.

OldPhiKap
08-28-2013, 07:18 PM
I agree he does a great job of refuting the first reason (Boone at QB), but he really doesn't refute the inexperienced secondary or the weak linebacking corps nor do I think he's trying to. He's presenting our weaknesses quite fairly. We have a lot of question marks in the secondary and at linebacker.

I think this is right.

I wouldn't say I am pessimistic about those things -- I am not -- but I would say that they are big questions that someone has the opportu it's to step up and answer.