PDA

View Full Version : Big Blow to the Noles

tommy
08-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Star freshman Xavier Rathan-Mayes has been ruled ineligible to play for FSU this season for academic reasons. The kid is a Canadian who played at Huntington Prep last year with Andrew Wiggins, and was expected to be a major factor for the Noles on the wing.

Barr8
08-26-2013, 04:47 PM
He should of gone to UNC, never would of happened there. ;)

BlueDevilBrowns
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Link to the story:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/26/florida-states-xavier-rathan-mayes-no-30-recruit-ruled-ineligible/

TruBlu
08-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Rumor has it that he already has a degree from UNC, since he drove through Chapel Hill once.

jv001
08-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Rumor has it that he already has a degree from UNC, since he drove through Chapel Hill once.

In one of Fat's cars/suvs. GoDuke!

Indoor66
08-26-2013, 07:36 PM

You guys fail to recognize the rigors of the degree process over at the dump on the hump. What actually happened was that he was in chapel hell and had breakfast at Hector's, a BLT at Merritt's and then had dinner at Top Of The Hill. The aggregate of these experiences entitled him to the degree in Orange County History.

CDu
08-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Oh the irony: at least two grammar errors in a one-sentence post making fun of UNC's academics...

Barr8
08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh the irony: at least two grammar errors in a one-sentence post making fun of UNC's academics...

I forgot this was a grammatically correct board 100% of the time. So sorry professor. I do have a degree from UW... Just not in English.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I forgot this was a grammatically correct board 100% of the time. So sorry professor. I do have a degree from UW... Just not in English.

Do you know what your errors were?
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
"Would you say I have a plethora of piņatas?"

As to the point, I hope the kid gets it together and regains eligibility next year.

moonpie23
08-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Love, Ima

the smiley face and hitting "submit reply"??
:cool:

CameronBlue
08-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Love, Ima

It's these trifling points of scholarship that critics use in an attempt to forever cast Duke in the role of the "haves" versus the "have nots".

Barr8
08-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Love, Ima

Suggesting someone should go to UNC?

In all seriousness, no not really. English is by far my worst subject.. Math my best(I suppose that's why I'm a mechanical engineer).

Edouble
08-26-2013, 11:39 PM
It's these trifling points of scholarship that critics use in an attempt to forever cast Duke in the role of the "haves" versus the "have nots".

Hmmm... you care what other people think about you? Work on that.

I love that people on this board point out bad grammar. This is one of the few places on the internet where I still see that happen.

Also, watch that split infinitive!

johnb
08-27-2013, 12:16 AM
I know people are joking, but this kid's mother apparently sold her house in Canada to pay the tuition at the North Carolina school that she thought would best further her son's future. So she was naive, picked a school that was a shell of an institution and which then lost its accreditation, lost her money, and her son --a #30 recruit--won't get to practice or play for a year, which presumably hurts his chances to reach the next level in addition to costing him a year of hoops. I just think we should be careful when mocking an 18 year old kid who didn't go out of his way to hurt anyone.

But if you lump this teenager's error with, say, Carolina's multi-year abuse of one of the great state university systems so that dozens of its own students could get college credit without having to get distracted from the Business of Sport, then you should be prepared for criticism if your own comments are sloppily written. Nobody here ever critiques friendly writing. Hmmm, though the above isn't very friendly either.... long day.

brevity
08-27-2013, 02:42 AM

Ordinarily I would let grammar errors slide on a message board, but grammar has become the primary issue in this thread. For the record:

1. "should of" needs to be "should have"
2. "would of" needs to be "would have"
3. It's a run-on sentence.*

*If the second clause cannot form its own sentence, is it still a run-on? Are there commas after "Oh" and "Ordinarily"? I don't know anymore. Grammar is a dying art and a dying corner of my mind. I blame Frasier Crane and Nelly.

Dev11
08-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Ordinarily I would let grammar errors slide on a message board, but grammar has become the primary issue in this thread. For the record:

*If the second clause cannot form its own sentence, is it still a run-on? Are there commas after "Oh" and "Ordinarily"? I don't know anymore. Grammar is a dying art and a dying corner of my mind. I blame Frasier Crane and Nelly.

Yes, stick a comma after "Oh," and with "Ordinarily," you can use a comma or move it after "would" and forget these silly punctuation marks.

Board grammar. Just do it. *Nike swoosh*

sagegrouse
08-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Two independent clauses separated by a comma -- comma splice! Because the second clause did not have a subject, it is not truly a "comma splice." I suppose it requires a dash or a colon, however, instead of a comma.

Sage
'The basketball season cannot arrive fast soon enough'

MCFinARL
08-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Two independent clauses separated by a comma -- comma splice! Because the second clause did not have a subject, it is not truly a "comma splice." I suppose it requires a dash or a colon, however, instead of a comma.

Sage

Good analysis--and I think the dash might work better here than the colon.

In defense of the original poster, it can be pretty hard to figure out how to punctuate what is essentially transcribed spoken English, rather than formal written English. I suspect if he/she had gone completely in this direction and used "shoulda" and "woulda," the post might have gone by without a comment.

On another note, Sage, are you raising an issue about whether "fast" or "soon" is correct in your tag line? Or is that just a way to express double the desire? Either way, I agree completely.

ChillinDuke
08-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Are we still talking about this?

- Chillin

MCFinARL
08-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Sage

Are we still talking about this?

- Chillin

Don't worry, August will be over very soon.