PDA

View Full Version : Thad Lewis to Buffalo, Renfree in ATL, Vernon in Oakland

vick
08-25-2013, 07:48 PM
NBC reports (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/lions-send-thad-lewis-to-the-bills/) Lewis to Buffalo, who also recently picked up Matt Leinart.

matt1
08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Is there any word as to if he has made the team?

sagegrouse
08-25-2013, 08:36 PM
NBC reports (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/25/lions-send-thad-lewis-to-the-bills/) Lewis to Buffalo, who also recently picked up Matt Leinart.

Money quote:

Though Leinart has the better pedigree, Lewis has a leg up in one key area — Lewis started a game in 2012, generating an 83.3 passer rating in a 24-10 loss to the Steelers. Leinart generated a 44.4 passer rating in a pair of appearances for Oakland last season.

Ha-ha-ha! Go Thad!

sagegrouse

FerryFor50
08-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Is there any word as to if he has made the team?

If they traded for him, he has a good shot.

Plus, he only has Matt Leinart to worry about.

DukeUsul
08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Here's the reason, in case you missed it. Kevin Kolb took a knee to the head and has what is being phrased a "possibly career ending" concussion (his third). I certainly hope he's ok.

http://deadspin.com/kolbs-possibly-career-ending-concussion-is-the-nfls-1200600624

Good luck to Thad in the competition for the starting spot!

kexman
08-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Here's the reason, in case you missed it. Kevin Kolb took a knee to the head and has what is being phrased a "possibly career ending" concussion (his third). I certainly hope he's ok.

http://deadspin.com/kolbs-possibly-career-ending-concussion-is-the-nfls-1200600624

Good luck to Thad in the competition for the starting spot!

Also our rookie 1st round pick EJ Manuel had a procedure on his knee last week so it is doubtful he will be ready for week1. Maybe physically ready, but a rookie probably needs a full preseason to prepare. There was only 1 healthy QB on roster before these signings. It would be cool if Thad won the job...the only silver lining for a long suffering bills fan.

wilson
08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Also our rookie 1st round pick EJ Manuel had a procedure on his knee last week so it is doubtful he will be ready for week1. Maybe physically ready, but a rookie probably needs a full preseason to prepare. There was only 1 healthy QB on roster before these signings. It would be cool if Thad won the job...the only silver lining for a long suffering bills fan.I'm confused. Around here, " our" guy is Thad, right?

Acymetric
08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm confused. Around here, " our" guy is Thad, right?

I think Kex is a Bills fan, so kind of all of the above I think.

-bdbd
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Watched PTI last night - I hung around when I saw on their "teaser" board that they were going to discuss the Buffalo QB situation.

However, all they said was that Buffalo had acquired Leinart "and some others" and we'll see how it shakes out... It was more an excuse to talk about concussions and the effect on the NFL (and how the league handles the issue).

This does seem like a great opportunity for Thad though.

A-Tex Devil
08-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Watched PTI last night - I hung around when I saw on their "teaser" board that they were going to discuss the Buffalo QB situation.

However, all they said was that Buffalo had acquired Leinart "and some others" and we'll see how it shakes out... It was more an excuse to talk about concussions and the effect on the NFL (and how the league handles the issue).

This does seem like a great opportunity for Thad though.

Looking like Bills will make Tuel from Wazzu the first free agent rookie opening day starter since the merger, unless Manuel can recover in time.

Considering where Wazzu has been as a program the last 5 years (hint -- worse than Duke), this is pretty remarkable.

JasonEvans
08-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Looking like Bills will make Tuel from Wazzu the first free agent rookie opening day starter since the merger, unless Manuel can recover in time.

Considering where Wazzu has been as a program the last 5 years (hint -- worse than Duke), this is pretty remarkable.

Look, Jeff Tuel may be really nice and may have the talent to have been a legit draft pick, but he ain't being named the starter because he beat out other legit NFL starting QBs for the job. He got it by process of elimination when the other guys went down. There isn't enough time for Thad or Leinart to learn the playbook enough for the regular season opener.

Still, it would seem to be a good chance for Thad to make the team, which is great for him.

-Jason "meanwhile, in Atlanta, I think Renfree has no shot at the #2 job but should make at least the practice squad as the third QB" Evans

wilson
08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
...meanwhile, in Atlanta, I think Renfree has no shot at the #2 job but should make at least the practice squad as the third QB...The Falcons are pretty baldly pursuing a go-for-broke, eggs-in-one-basket approach this season. If Renfree doesn't make the squad as a #2, it'll be because the Birds essentially have no #2 this season...it's Matt Ryan and a handful of #3's. Does anyone believe that Dominique Davis has a prayer for competency if Ryan should get hurt? Not only has he never thrown an NFL regular-season pass, he has never even been on the active roster for a regular season game. Furthermore, this is only his second season in the league. Clearly, the Falcons intend for Matt Ryan to take every meaningful snap this year, and clearly they have decided to formulate no substantive Plan B.
I am with you in hoping optimistically that Renfree makes at least the practice squad, and FWIW, the team currently has him listed at #3 on the depth chart, so that would seem to bode well.

sagegrouse
08-29-2013, 10:01 PM
In tonight's preseason finale against Detroit, all the playing time at QB has gone to Leinart and Thad. Thad has done far better so far -- 7-16, 132 yds, and one long TD (79 yds). His passer rating is 93.8. Matt Leinart's passer rating is 0.00000 (two ints.).

Maybe thad will get the nod for the regular season ...

Sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
08-29-2013, 10:32 PM
In tonight's preseason finale against Detroit, all the playing time at QB has gone to Leinart and Thad. Thad has done far better so far -- 7-16, 132 yds, and one long TD (79 yds). His passer rating is 93.8. Matt Leinart's passer rating is 0.00000 (two ints.).

Sagegrouse

Add in that he was also the leading rusher, 50+ yards with 7 carries. :)

1999ballboy
08-29-2013, 11:53 PM
It's looking good for Thad to make the roster to start the season, but it's unclear whether he'll be able to stay on once Manuel becomes healthy again. I'd think he has a better chance than he did before tonight's game, though. Leinart performed poorly, but he's still more of a name and more of a veteran than Thad.

Thad previously beat out Keith Null for a roster spot in St. Louis. Null had NFL experience, however dubious, and yet Thad's superior preseason performance got him the nod. Leinart has similarly dubious NFL experience, but now he's got the whole "clubhouse veteran" thing going for him as well. E.J. Manuel could be a good NFL QB, but if he's not, or if he can't stay healthy, then this year's Bills could be last year's Cardinals-- which, frankly, would be good for Thad. Thad ain't no dime-a-dozen Ryan Lindley-type. I'm sure of it.

killerleft
08-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Go Thad! One of the toughest Blue Devils ever. How sweet it would be if he got the chance to lead an NFL team long enough to show his stuff.

Farlan
08-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Performance last night looks good for Thad!

http://fansided.com/2013/08/30/buffalo-bills-to-cut-qb-matt-leinart/

HK Dukie
08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23397162/qb-matt-leinart-tweets-that-hes-been-cut-by-bills

Leinart cut after 5 days with the Bills. So our guy beat our the USC heisman trophy winner by a longshot.

Unless the Bills sign a potentially soon to be cut Tebow!

CDu
08-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Sagegrouse

To be fair, the expected starters don't usually play in the last preseason game. And if they do play, it's very briefly (like a series or two). The last game is a chance for fringe roster guys to earn their spots and/or audition for other teams, while the starters just try to stay healthy.

Now, Buffalo is in a tricky spot with injuries. With Kolb out possibly for good and with Manuel about a 50/50 proposition for the season opener, they may have to play somebody.

That being said, I do expect that Lewis will make the team.

Blue in the Face
08-30-2013, 04:34 PM
If they add someone, I think Trent Edwards is more likely than Tebow.

tommy
08-30-2013, 04:58 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23397162/qb-matt-leinart-tweets-that-hes-been-cut-by-bills

Leinart cut after 5 days with the Bills. So our guy beat our the USC heisman trophy winner by a longshot.

Off topic, I know, but I just can't help but think about that epic 2006 Rose Bowl game which featured the matchup of two fantastic college QB's, Vince Young and Matt Leinart, as well as Heisman Trophy winner-to-be Reggie Bush, and how poorly they have all fared as professionals in the seven years since that game. Bush is the best of the lot, but he's been a middling pro, while Young and Leinart have been gigantic busts. The fourth most recognizable player on the field that day was Trojan RB LenDale White, who after a decent start, basically ate himself out of the league.

cato
08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Off topic, I know, but I just can't help but think about that epic 2006 Rose Bowl game which featured the matchup of two fantastic college QB's, Vince Young and Matt Leinart, as well as Heisman Trophy winner-to-be Reggie Bush, and how poorly they have all fared as professionals in the seven years since that game. Bush is the best of the lot, but he's been a middling pro, while Young and Leinart have been gigantic busts. The fourth most recognizable player on the field that day was Trojan RB LenDale White, who after a decent start, basically ate himself out of the league.

What an entertaining game, though.

Acymetric
08-30-2013, 06:19 PM

Sagegrouse

Unfortunately the Bills coach said before the game that Tuel was their starter for week 1 (although I suppose he could always change his mind). Presumably they didn't play him because they didn't want their starting QB to get injured (again).

Bob Green
08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
-Jason "meanwhile, in Atlanta, I think Renfree has no shot at the #2 job but should make at least the practice squad as the third QB" Evans

The Falcons have placed Sean Renfree on Injured Reserve list:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/8/30/4677112/nfl-roster-cuts-falcons-cut-11

Sean Renfree hurt his shoulder in the last preseason game just last night. There are two possibilities here: Either Renfree hurt that shoulder badly, or the Falcons are using the injury as a pretext to stash a promising young quarterback without having to expose him on the practice squad.

NFL Rosters must be cut to 53 by tomorrow so we will know soon whether or not Conner Vernon makes the Raiders.

throatybeard
08-30-2013, 09:29 PM
I am watching the Cardinals-Pirates game on Fox MW, and they just ran a crawl that says EJ Manuel is done for the year. I don't know if that is accurate.

I feel sorry for people who drafted EJ in fantasy for 2 QB leagues. Wait, not I don't. Fantasy is an insane crapshoot.

subzero02
08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Bush had already won the Heisman when that game was played. After Vince Young's spectacular performance in the championship game many thought he should've won the trophy.

OldPhiKap
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
The Falcons have placed Sean Renfree on Injured Reserve list:

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/8/30/4677112/nfl-roster-cuts-falcons-cut-11

NFL Rosters must be cut to 53 by tomorrow so we will know soon whether or not Conner Vernon makes the Raiders.

I watched the Falcons last night, Sean was set for real minutes but got hurt and had to come out. I think it was a real injury, AND that the Falcons see that he has real game.

Jim3k
08-31-2013, 07:55 PM
The Bills released Thad (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/qb-lewis-among-5-players-205709560--nfl.html) despite his positive numbers in the Lions game.

Hopefully this is not the end.

cspan37421
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
That's pretty stunning, considering their needs and the way he played. I guess their offense isn't going to require a mobile quarterback. And thus ends my brief Bills fandom.

CDu
08-31-2013, 08:12 PM
I am watching the Cardinals-Pirates game on Fox MW, and they just ran a crawl that says EJ Manuel is done for the year. I don't know if that is accurate.

I feel sorry for people who drafted EJ in fantasy for 2 QB leagues. Wait, not I don't. Fantasy is an insane crapshoot.

Last I heard, Manuel was still a possible game 1 starter. Kolb has been put on IR and is thus done for the season, but Manuel is not.

JasonEvans
08-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Conner Vernon was waived by the Raiders too.

I think it is still possible that Thad and Connor get signed back to practice squads. Today's cuts happen and then guys get re-signed, after they clear waivers, to the practice squad. It is quite common for teams to not carry 3 QBs on their 53-man roster but to stash a QB on the practice squad. I suspect Thad will be able to find a home in that role.

-Jason "I may be wrong about some of the above -- my knowledge of NFL roster moves is not perfect" Evans

throatybeard
08-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Speaking of the Bills messing up on the regular, I am a huge CJ Spiller fan. Maybe this is the year they finally stop wasting him. The fantasy magazines think so.

vick
08-31-2013, 11:16 PM
In better Duke news, Matt Daniels made the Rams 53-man team.

Farlan
09-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Relatively good news for Thad......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/01/bills-will-add-thad-lewis-to-practice-squad/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

sagegrouse
09-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Relatively good news for Thad......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/01/bills-will-add-thad-lewis-to-practice-squad/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Posts don't really have to be so mysterious. Here's the money quote:

Yes, the Bills have only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. But they’ll have a third quarterback on the team, via the practice squad.

Per a league source, Thad Lewis will join the Bills’ eight-man crew of players who aren’t officially on the team but who will join the other players for practice.

sage

subzero02
09-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Posts don't really have to be so mysterious.

sage

Exactly...

budwom
09-02-2013, 08:52 AM
That's pretty stunning, considering their needs and the way he played. I guess their offense isn't going to require a mobile quarterback. And thus ends my brief Bills fandom.

I like Thad a whole lot, but would not call him a particularly "mobile" QB by NFL standards.

PDDuke85
09-02-2013, 10:24 AM
To be fair, the expected starters don't usually play in the last preseason game. And if they do play, it's very briefly (like a series or two). The last game is a chance for fringe roster guys to earn their spots and/or audition for other teams, while the starters just try to stay healthy.

Now, Buffalo is in a tricky spot with injuries. With Kolb out possibly for good and with Manuel about a 50/50 proposition for the season opener, they may have to play somebody.

That being said, I do expect that Lewis will make the team.

Thad was named to their practice squad yesterday.

Class of '94
09-02-2013, 11:41 AM
I like Thad a whole lot, but would not call him a particularly "mobile" QB by NFL standards.

You're entitled to your opinion and I mean no disrespect; but I saw Thad play in the preseason for the Lions (although he played very little) and the Bills and he looked mobile imo. He moved around better than Shaun Hill and Kellen Winslow (the Lions backup QBs); and Thad looked more mobile and a better overall quarterback than Leinart. I'm not saying Thad is RGIII or Mike Vick in terms of mobility; but I think he's shown that is he is mobile enough to scramble and make plays outside of the pocket when he has to against good defenses (although it was one game, he looked effective as a mobile quarterback against the Steelers as the Browns starter last year). Again, jmo.

Des Esseintes
09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
You're entitled to your opinion and I mean no disrespect; but I saw Thad play in the preseason for the Lions (although he played very little) and the Bills and he looked mobile imo. He moved around better than Shaun Hill and Kellen Winslow (the Lions backup QBs); and Thad looked more mobile and a better overall quarterback than Leinart. I'm not saying Thad is RGIII or Mike Vick in terms of mobility; but I think he's shown that is he is mobile enough to scramble and make plays outside of the pocket when he has to against good defenses (although it was one game, he looked effective as a mobile quarterback against the Steelers as the Browns starter last year). Again, jmo.

I think you might have some blue-tinted lenses. Which is fine. But Thad (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/24904/thaddeus-lewis) is probably not significantly more mobile than Kellen Clemens (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/9824/kellen-clemens). (You meant Kellen Clemens, right? Kellen Winslow is a tight end, not remotely as good as his dad, but much more athletic than Thad.) In their combine results, Clemens ran .1 second faster. Moreover, Thad came in dead last among QBs in the vertical jump, and was below average in the broad jump. He's many things, but a possessor of above-average NFL quickness and athleticism he is not. As for Thad being faster than Shaun Hill, well, he better be. Shaun Hill is 33 years old, and if he has ever in his life traveled at great speed, it was probably only while riding a European bullet train during his time with the Amsterdam Admirals.

cspan37421
09-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Well he sure scrambled well against the Lions. Discount of course for an exhibition game, granted. Not sure how to judge his "rushing" numbers at Duke to see if my memory of him being fairly mobile is faulty. Many of those were not designed runs, and he was not infrequently stuck in a collapsed pocket, and not usually because he held onto the ball too long. Sometimes he was still dropping back! Fortunately things have improved.

JasonEvans
09-02-2013, 04:44 PM
From an Oakland Raiders blogger (http://justblogbaby.com/2013/09/02/terrelle-pryor-practices-with-the-first-team-monday-as-the-oakland-raiders-quarterback-drama-continues/)...

The last spot on the Raiders practice squad is reportedly down to Connor Vernon or Tyler Wilson. The team will release their practice squad later in the afternoon.

-Jason "practice squad players make a minimum of $6k/week, though some teams pay more" Evans

Merlindevildog91
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Cooper Helfet made the Seahawks practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237146/article/practice-squads-for-all-32-nfl-teams?campaign=Twitter_news

The article says nothing about what the Raiders are doing, but it lists 7 practice squad players and teams can have 8.

buddy
09-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Cooper Helfet made the Seahawks practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237146/article/practice-squads-for-all-32-nfl-teams?campaign=Twitter_news

The article says nothing about what the Raiders are doing, but it lists 7 practice squad players and teams can have 8.

Actually it shows the Raiders with 8, but not with Connor.

Merlindevildog91
09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Actually it shows the Raiders with 8, but not with Connor.

Yes, it updated when the Raiders added Tyler Wilson to the practice squad.

Class of '94
09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I think you might have some blue-tinted lenses. Which is fine. But Thad (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/24904/thaddeus-lewis) is probably not significantly more mobile than Kellen Clemens (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/combine/_/id/9824/kellen-clemens). (You meant Kellen Clemens, right? Kellen Winslow is a tight end, not remotely as good as his dad, but much more athletic than Thad.) In their combine results, Clemens ran .1 second faster. Moreover, Thad came in dead last among QBs in the vertical jump, and was below average in the broad jump. He's many things, but a possessor of above-average NFL quickness and athleticism he is not. As for Thad being faster than Shaun Hill, well, he better be. Shaun Hill is 33 years old, and if he has ever in his life traveled at great speed, it was probably only while riding a European bullet train during his time with the Amsterdam Admirals.

You're right.....I actually meant Kellen Moore (former Boise St QB) who was the 3rd string backup QB for Detroit last season and in the preseason this year; and not Kellen Winslow (I must've had Miami on the brain) or Kellen Clemens. I don't know Moore's combine numbers but I can tell you from watching both with Detroit and Thad's game with the Browns and the Bills, he's more mobile than Moore and has a stronger arm. Even the Detroit play by play announcers acknowledged that. And you're right about Shaun Hill. My point in mentioning Hill is that he isn't very mobile but still an effective quarterback. IMO and it may be blue-tainted is that I think Thad has the tools to at least be a serviceable back-up QB on an NFL team; and I hope he continues to get opportunities to prove it.

juise
09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
For whatever a 40-yd dash time at the combine is worth, Thad ran 4.84 and Kellen Moore ran 4.94.

Des Esseintes
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM
You're right.....I actually meant Kellen Moore (former Boise St QB) who was the 3rd string backup QB for Detroit last season and in the preseason this year; and not Kellen Winslow (I must've had Miami on the brain) or Kellen Clemens. I don't know Moore's combine numbers but I can tell you from watching both with Detroit and Thad's game with the Browns and the Bills, he's more mobile than Moore and has a stronger arm. Even the Detroit play by play announcers acknowledged that. And you're right about Shaun Hill. My point in mentioning Hill is that he isn't very mobile but still an effective quarterback. IMO and it may be blue-tainted is that I think Thad has the tools to at least be a serviceable back-up QB on an NFL team; and I hope he continues to get opportunities to prove it.

Oh, I agree that Thad can be a decent NFL backup. I just doubt swiftness of foot is ever likely to be a selling point for him. There are too many Kellens in professional football.