PDA

View Full Version : Seth Curry to the Warriors?

Gthoma2a
08-23-2013, 07:57 AM
http://goldengatesports.com/2013/08/22/report-golden-state-warriors-to-sign-seth-curry-brother-of-stephen-curry/

This could be good in a way. I don't think there is any bigger motivation than to go out there and outplay your all-star brother every night. That is not to mention that there is nobody who would be able to teach Seth to use his particular skills better than his brother, and it is a good team.

So, all in all, congratulations go to Seth! Hopefully it is the start of a long and successful career for a guy who played through the pain through his entire senior season to make a fun and exciting Duke team.

pfrduke
08-23-2013, 08:56 AM
http://goldengatesports.com/2013/08/22/report-golden-state-warriors-to-sign-seth-curry-brother-of-stephen-curry/

This could be good in a way. I don't think there is any bigger motivation than to go out there and outplay your all-star brother every night. That is not to mention that there is nobody who would be able to teach Seth to use his particular skills better than his brother, and it is a good team.

So, all in all, congratulations go to Seth! Hopefully it is the start of a long and successful career for a guy who played through the pain through his entire senior season to make a fun and exciting Duke team.

Seth merely getting signed (even to a non-guaranteed contract) is a big accomplishment for him. Great news.

SupaDave
08-23-2013, 09:18 AM
The Golden State Warriors - now known as the team to not make everyone else's mistake - TWICE.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Can't hurt in contract negotiations with Steph either.

Dev11
08-23-2013, 11:48 AM
The Golden State Warriors - now known as the team to not make everyone else's mistake - TWICE.

The Golden State Warriors: not run by Seth Greenberg

brevity
08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Can't hurt in contract negotiations with Steph either.

An early draft of that contract shows the following stipulations:

1. Stephen Curry automatically receives "shotgun" status on any team bus or plane. Seth is responsible for finding his own seat, and it must be somewhere in the last four (4) rows.

2. Should Stephen have to sit next to Seth on the bench before or during any preseason, regular season, or postseason game, a member of the training staff must affix a piece of tape between them, forming a line of demarcation, and Seth cannot cross that line at any time.

3. Upon the conclusion of any game, Stephen shall leave the court first and shall have complete access to the showers and locker room. Stephen is allowed to use all of the hot water.

4. For any game attended by Dell and Sonya Curry, Stephen shall have the right to hug each parent first, and Seth shall wait until both hugs are completed before going in. Furthermore, Stephen shall have the right of first refusal in showing affection toward any other family members. In such case, Seth is obligated to show affection to those family members, which shall include (but is not limited to) hugs, handshakes, and having his cheeks pinched.

5. In hotel rooms during road games, Stephen stakes a permanent claim to the top bunk.

Gthoma2a
08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
An early draft of that contract shows the following stipulations:

1. Stephen Curry automatically receives "shotgun" status on any team bus or plane. Seth is responsible for finding his own seat, and it must be somewhere in the last four (4) rows.

2. Should Stephen have to sit next to Seth on the bench before or during any preseason, regular season, or postseason game, a member of the training staff must affix a piece of tape between them, forming a line of demarcation, and Seth cannot cross that line at any time.

3. Upon the conclusion of any game, Stephen shall leave the court first and shall have complete access to the showers and locker room. Stephen is allowed to use all of the hot water.

4. For any game attended by Dell and Sonya Curry, Stephen shall have the right to hug each parent first, and Seth shall wait until both hugs are completed before going in. Furthermore, Stephen shall have the right of first refusal in showing affection toward any other family members. In such case, Seth is obligated to show affection to those family members, which shall include (but is not limited to) hugs, handshakes, and having his cheeks pinched.

5. In hotel rooms during road games, Stephen stakes a permanent claim to the top bunk.

Steph already had all of those things with all of the other players, so that is boilerplate, really. He's their biggest asset by far.

NM Duke Fan
08-23-2013, 06:53 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/23282255/report-warriors-to-sign-seth-curry

Here is another, better article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1747886-golden-state-warriors-will-reportedly-sign-stephen-currys-little-brother-seth

BD80
08-23-2013, 07:07 PM

So much Curry on one squad? Spicy!!!

DevilFalcon
08-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Go Seth! I think he is going to impress. Maybe he'll get to back up the older of the duo.

Edouble
08-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Seth went to Duke. He's not dumb.

Billy Dat
08-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I want to be excited, but this just seems like a fancy training camp invite. Granted, it's a sign of seriousness by the team, maybe it guarantees he'll attend their training camp, but it's not going to be easy to make the team. It seems weird, unless the Warriors are planning to sign him once they see definitive on-court proof that his injury is healed. What incentive does Seth have to sign this non-guaranteed contract?

sagegrouse
08-25-2013, 01:50 PM
I want to be excited, but this just seems like a fancy training camp invite. Granted, it's a sign of seriousness by the team, maybe it guarantees he'll attend their training camp, but it's not going to be easy to make the team. It seems weird, unless the Warriors are planning to sign him once they see definitive on-court proof that his injury is healed. What incentive does Seth have to sign this non-guaranteed contract?

It was his best offer? This is nothing but a necessary first step to playing in the league -- but deserves celebration as that. Let's hope there are more steps on Seth's journey.

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
08-25-2013, 02:36 PM
It was his best offer? This is nothing but a necessary first step to playing in the league -- but deserves celebration as that. Let's hope there are more steps on Seth's journey.

Agree, but it reminded me of when Mr. Burns made an offer to Homer Simpson, a big zero written on a piece of paper, and Homer's lawyer, the esteemed Lionel Hutz said, "I suggest you take it!"

SupaDave
08-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Incentive? How about getting healthy enough to prove himself. They just signed a guy coming off surgery. Sounds like a patient and hopeful signing to me - and a safer bet than signing Greg Oden for 3 cheeseburgers.

Billy Dat
08-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Incentive? How about getting healthy enough to prove himself. They just signed a guy coming off surgery. Sounds like a patient and hopeful signing to me - and a safer bet than signing Greg Oden for 3 cheeseburgers.

I guess he thinks its the best situation for him, but it seems like the pundits think its a long shot that he'll make the team. My point was that maybe a better offer was out there, either in the NBA or overseas. He may never make one dollar from this "contract" considering that rookies don't get paid until games start.

SupaDave
08-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I guess he thinks its the best situation for him, but it seems like the pundits think its a long shot that he'll make the team. My point was that maybe a better offer was out there, either in the NBA or overseas. He may never make one dollar from this "contract" considering that rookies don't get paid until games start.

He won't have to pay rent either...

(or live in a hotel b/c that's when it gets real)

sagegrouse
08-25-2013, 09:53 PM

He won't have to pay rent either...

Yeah, Billy, you may be right. But Seth has his brother, his Dad, a bunch of family friends in the NBA, Coach K and his network, plus an agent or three. I am assuming that he signed with the Warriors after considering a whole bunch of alternatives. If he messes around in the US and the NBDL for a year, I doubt that he will be in financial distress.

sagegrouse

Billy Dat
08-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, Billy, you may be right. But Seth has his brother, his Dad, a bunch of family friends in the NBA, Coach K and his network, plus an agent or three. I am assuming that he signed with the Warriors after considering a whole bunch of alternatives. If he messes around in the US and the NBDL for a year, I doubt that he will be in financial distress.

It's funny, I never think of kids like Gerald, Austin and Seth as having trust funds...even though, in one way or another, they clearly do. I agree with you guys that this decision wouldn't have been made without considerable thought and research, it's just the first time I have heard of this type of contract in this type of scenario.

I did a little more research and dug up a blurb that completes the picture a little more:
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2013/08/23/stephen-currys-brother-to-join-warriors-for-training-camp/
"Duke star Seth Curry will sign a non-guaranteed contract with Golden State on Friday. He chose the Warriors over playing in Barcelona because he has a good bead on a roster spot in Golden State’s backcourt. If not, the younger Curry is intrigued by the Warriors’ D-League team, which has built a reputation for developing players and getting them into the league. Playing with his brother was previously thought to be a long shot. Seth Curry, who went undrafted, had talks with San Antonio, Chicago and Charlotte – places that seemed to have better opportunity available. But those talks never panned out."

Take homes:
-He's been given indications that he has a fair shot to make "the varsity"
-He had a contract offer with Barcelona. He probably had a long talk with Scheyer about how hard it is to break into the rotation of a traditional European power. Plus, uprooting and moving to another continent is no small decision.
-The Golden State D-League team has a great reputation for getting players to the show. Per SupaDave, its not like he has to worry about living on a D-League salary.
-Talks with various other NBA teams broke down.

JasonEvans
08-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Just so we are clear, and there does appear to be some confusion, Seth had to sign some kind of contract to attend the Warriors camp as a player. It is not like he could just show up and work out with the team without a piece of paper outlining the relationship while Seth is trying out and what happens if he makes the team. The NBA simply does not work that way. As with pretty much all undrafted free agents, the contract is not guaranteed. You have to either be an established veteran with lots of other options or a highly regarded draft pick (first rounders plus guys in the early second round) to get a guaranteed deal.

Clearly, Golden State thinks enough of Seth to see what he can do in training camp. There is a small salary and expenses associated with every guy in training camp so this is a sign of genuine interest from the team. Believe me, there are plenty of very good basketball players who would LOVE to get an unguaranteed training camp contract for a shot at proving themselves. Also, it is not like NBA teams invite 25 players to training camp. Currently, the Warriors have 14 guys on their roster (http://www.nba.com/warriors/roster/2013) and Seth is one of them. Typically, the Warriors have 19-20 players in training camp, several of whom really won't have a chance to make the roster but the Warriors will want to know more about them in case they want to call someone up from the D-League during the season.

-Jason "keeping my fingers crossed for Seth" Evans

Dev11
08-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Does training camp invite mean he also gets to play in the preseason? I'm not sure when the rosters get cut.

WillJ
08-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Great opportunity for Seth and I hope he makes it. I think Seth can cut it in the NBA on offense - there aren't that many guys who are both crafty and can shoot like him - but I think the main challenge to his success will be his defense.

Billy Dat
08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Just so we are clear, and there does appear to be some confusion, Seth had to sign some kind of contract to attend the Warriors camp as a player. It is not like he could just show up and work out with the team without a piece of paper outlining the relationship while Seth is trying out and what happens if he makes the team. The NBA simply does not work that way. As with pretty much all undrafted free agents, the contract is not guaranteed. You have to either be an established veteran with lots of other options or a highly regarded draft pick (first rounders plus guys in the early second round) to get a guaranteed deal.

Thanks, this is more good info that I didn't previously know...that any training camp attendee has to sign some form of a contract. A big disconnect for me was why this non-guaranteed contract signing made national news tickers. I guess the answer is that August is probably the slowest sports month of the year and Seth Curry is Steph's brother, Dell's son, and he went to Duke. There have likely been dozens of other similar contracts signed in the past few weeks that didn't warrant any attention.

All that being said, go Seth!

SupaDave
08-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks, this is more good info that I didn't previously know...that any training camp attendee has to sign some form of a contract. A big disconnect for me was why this non-guaranteed contract signing made national news tickers. I guess the answer is that August is probably the slowest sports month of the year and Seth Curry is Steph's brother, Dell's son, and he went to Duke. There have likely been dozens of other similar contracts signed in the past few weeks that didn't warrant any attention.

We champion them all if it's a Duke player. Shavlik has signed about a 1000 of them and it's precisely how Lance got his foot in the door...