PDA

View Full Version : NCAA docks Montana St. player his entire senior season for NOTHING

tommy
08-22-2013, 04:46 PM
I think it was Jason Evans the other day who said something about how it seems like the NCAA Enforcement people are determined to make the absurdly wrong call just about every single time, no matter what. Here is yet another egregious example of these people having their heads up their you-know-whats, to the extreme detriment of one of the student-athletes they pretend to be "protecting."

This Montana State player named Mohamed Fall is being docked his senior season because he played in two off-season "quasi-exhibition" games, which are basically glorified pickup games, FOUR YEARS AGO. Costing him an entire season now. Of course, neither he nor anyone at Montana State had any idea that what he was doing was not permitted. Doesn't matter to the NCAA. His D-1 career is over.

This is somehow distinguishable in the NCAA's mind from the Tim Abromaitis situation, where the Notre Dame forward was docked only four games last year for . . . wait for it . . . having played in exhibition games three years prior. The NCAA's "reasoning" for the differential treatment is full of nonsensical mumbo-jumbo.

And the worst part of this story is that now, because the kid really wants to play ball, he has to transfer to D-2 or lower, and he'll have to change his major away from the Agricultural Business program he had been in, and which was the reason he chose Montana State in the first place, all of which will result in his INability to graduate on time -- which he would have done had he been able to stay on at Montana State.

This whole thing just smacks, again, of injustice, myopia, and hypocrisy. Here's the link (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/18842012/montana-state-forward-loses-senior-year-over-mindless-ncaa-decision)to the story.

OldPhiKap
08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
I think it was Jason Evans the other day who said something about how it seems like the NCAA Enforcement people are determined to make the absurdly wrong call just about every single time, no matter what. Here is yet another egregious example of these people having their heads up their you-know-whats, to the extreme detriment of one of the student-athletes they pretend to be "protecting."

This Montana State player named Mohamed Fall is being docked his senior season because he played in two off-season "quasi-exhibition" games, which are basically glorified pickup games, FOUR YEARS AGO. Costing him an entire season now. Of course, neither he nor anyone at Montana State had any idea that what he was doing was not permitted. Doesn't matter to the NCAA. His D-1 career is over.

This is somehow distinguishable in the NCAA's mind from the Tim Abromaitis situation, where the Notre Dame forward was docked only four games last year for . . . wait for it . . . having played in exhibition games three years prior. The NCAA's "reasoning" for the differential treatment is full of nonsensical mumbo-jumbo.

And the worst part of this story is that now, because the kid really wants to play ball, he has to transfer to D-2 or lower, and he'll have to change his major away from the Agricultural Business program he had been in, and which was the reason he chose Montana State in the first place, all of which will result in his INability to graduate on time -- which he would have done had he been able to stay on at Montana State.

This whole thing just smacks, again, of injustice, myopia, and hypocrisy. Here's the link (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/18842012/montana-state-forward-loses-senior-year-over-mindless-ncaa-decision)to the story.

"Montana State must pay for John Calipai's sins"

Turtleboy
08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I agree that his treatment is extremely unfair; however, he is choosing to play ball rather than complete his major. You get hard choices in life. Few things are guaranteed.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-22-2013, 07:50 PM
I agree that his treatment is extremely unfair; however, he is choosing to play ball rather than complete his major. You get hard choices in life. Few things are guaranteed.
Yeah but I assume without eligibility he doesn't have a scholarship. If so, it may not be about tough choices. He may have no choice if he can't afford to pay for school himself. I don't know the answer but may not be fair to be so dismissive of this as something that he can control. Besides, the whole thing is ludicrous.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Guess I should have read the article. My bad. He was offered the chance to keep his scholarship. Still, doesn't excuse the lunacy of the NCAA.