PDA

View Full Version : For DBR old-timers: a sweet Duke sequel to a sad Duke story

WillJ
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
DBR old-timers may recall a thread about the death of my nine-year old daughter Maria back in 2002. She was a huge Duke fan and our shared enjoyment of Duke basketball was the subject of that thread, and I was, and still am, most appreciative of folks' response to my post back then. It helped me through a difficult period. Maria died suddenly while sharing a bed with her little sister Maddie, and we just moved Maddie, now 18, into her dorm at Duke as a freshman. It was a sweet moment, tinged with some sadness, but I wanted to share our good fortune with those who previously sat on the mourning bench with me. This board is full of mensches:).

wncgrad
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
DBR old-timers may recall a thread about the death of my nine-year old daughter Maria back in 2002. She was a huge Duke fan and our shared enjoyment of Duke basketball was the subject of that thread, and I was, and still am, most appreciative of folks' response to my post back then. It helped me through a difficult period. Maria died suddenly while sharing a bed with her little sister Maddie, and we just moved Maddie, now 18, into her dorm at Duke as a freshman. It was a sweet moment, tinged with some sadness, but I wanted to share our good fortune with those who previously sat on the mourning bench with me. This board is full of mensches:).

Enjoy Duke and Epworth. It is the oldest building on campus as you probably have discovered but it has CHARACTER.

Billy Dat
08-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Amazing....thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Tom B.
08-22-2013, 01:25 PM

I remember that thread vividly. Has it really been over a decade?

Thanks for sharing this moment from your family's journey, and best wishes to Maddie as her Duke adventure begins.

OldPhiKap
08-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Very sorry for your loss, and very happy for Maddie's new adventure.

I loved East Campus, although it was not very freshman-heavy when I was there. Epworth was a non-fraternity living group.

Best of luck to all in the future. OPK

ForkFondler
08-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Uncle Fork says hi. Maybe I'll get a chance to help you embarass her this fall. I'm thinking either Pitt or NC State.

duke79
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Great ending to a sad story. Congrats on your daughter at Duke and sorry for your loss.

tommy
08-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Beautiful and uplifting coda to a tragic story. Congratulations to Maddie and your whole family.

moonpie23
08-22-2013, 06:05 PM
like very much......

ricks68
08-22-2013, 11:37 PM
All the best to you, Maddie, and the rest of your family. You must also be very, very proud of Maddie. Duke is not any easy school to get into. Maddie must be quite a young lady to have pulled that off. Kudos to all of you.

I am quite sure that many of us in the DBR "family" are looking forward to hearing from you again in the future. I know that I am. Please don't wait so long to get back to us.:)

ricks

cspan37421
08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
WillJ -

Thanks for sharing your story (I was not on DBR then), and hearty congrats to your daughter. I wish my daughter - who left to start college today - could meet yours; she did get in Duke, but UVA wooed her (wahooed her?) away. She does hope to return next summer as a Duke TIP counselor, though. Anyway I am glad that you found emotional support among your Duke family, and I hope she enjoys her time at Duke.

I wonder what vibe Epworth has now? Since it's all freshman, it may vary from year to year. I missed you by a couple years - I was T'89 - but my freshman (& senior) roommate spent his Soph and Jr. years in Epworth. In the late 80s, it had a reputation for creativity, nerdiness, and the general sense of marching to the beat of a different tuba. One had to apply to get in; part of his was that he wrote a little program to generate a printout of the Mandelbrot Set. I didn't appreciate it then, but looking back, I can't think of any other living group or place at Duke so welcoming of the intensely curious, the true intellectuals, than Epworth. It's also nice in that it is a rambling house of sorts - I don't recall much in the way of symmetry, there's no central long hall like just about every other place on campus. As a Duke dorm, it's unique - there's nothing remotely like it, as I recall. When I was a young student I never considered living there, even for a moment, but if I could go back as a more mature adult, it would probably top my list.

My freshman year was spent in Jarvis - I believe (tied) for second-oldest dorm, behind Epworth. I recall our first all-dorm meeting, being lectured that the place was an old, wooden tinderbox, and we had better not even THINK about using a candle, hotplate, etc. It was a sobering message, esp. for a 3rd-floor, middle resident!

My best wishes to Maddie as a fellow Dukie and a (former) freshman from East. Best to your family as well - thanks for sharing the family snapshot!

jv001
08-24-2013, 10:20 AM

God bless you and your family. Best wishes to Maddie.GoDuke!

weezie
08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Handsome family with a very special guardian angel looking over all of you.
Congratulations to the newest Blue Devil!

Son of Jarhead
08-25-2013, 12:16 AM
What a wonderful story! A family overcoming a tragic loss with such grace... it sounds like it would make a very uplifting novel or movie.

You have a beautiful family... Congrats to Maddie and best wishes to you and yours. And don't let it be so long before you return to these pages again.

roywhite
08-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Really nice story, and thanks for posting.

Is that a younger son in the picture? Someone else who can join you in watching Duke games and looking for Maddie in the crowd?

WillJ
08-25-2013, 01:12 PM
A few follow-up thoughts, too:

Epworth seems great.

That is our 10-year old son, born three months after our older daughter died. We were very lucky he came around when he did.

I was very impressed with Convocation, and any student who listened would have been inspired to open themselves up to the experience and to humbly appreciate the opportunities that Duke will place before them. I think my daughter was listening, but I couldn't help but recall that I was drunk and asleep during our own convocation in 1980 - beer on points was really not a good idea. I did get a nice spouse out of Duke, though...if only my wife had been so lucky:).

sagegrouse
08-25-2013, 01:21 PM
A few follow-up thoughts, too:

Epworth seems great.

That is our 10-year old son, born three months after our older daughter died. We were very lucky he came around when he did.

I was very impressed with Convocation, and any student who listened would have been inspired to open themselves up to the experience and to humbly appreciate the opportunities that Duke will place before them. I think my daughter was listening, but I couldn't help but recall that I was drunk and asleep during our own convocation in 1980 - beer on points was really not a good idea. I did get a nice spouse out of Duke, though...if only my wife had been so lucky:).

Thank for your posts. The poignancy is almost beyond measure. All the best to your family. Your daughter will have a wonderful experience at Duke.

sagegrouse

77devil
08-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I wonder what vibe Epworth has now? Since it's all freshman, it may vary from year to year. I missed you by a couple years - I was T'89 - but my freshman (& senior) roommate spent his Soph and Jr. years in Epworth. In the late 80s, it had a reputation for creativity, nerdiness, and the general sense of marching to the beat of a different tuba. One had to apply to get in; part of his was that he wrote a little program to generate a printout of the Mandelbrot Set. I didn't appreciate it then, but looking back, I can't think of any other living group or place at Duke so welcoming of the intensely curious, the true intellectuals, than Epworth. It's also nice in that it is a rambling house of sorts - I don't recall much in the way of symmetry, there's no central long hall like just about every other place on campus. As a Duke dorm, it's unique - there's nothing remotely like it, as I recall. When I was a young student I never considered living there, even for a moment, but if I could go back as a more mature adult, it would probably top my list.

My freshman year was spent in Jarvis - I believe (tied) for second-oldest dorm, behind Epworth. I recall our first all-dorm meeting, being lectured that the place was an old, wooden tinderbox, and we had better not even THINK about using a candle, hotplate, etc. It was a sobering message, esp. for a 3rd-floor, middle resident!

I think you had to apply to Epworth back in my era too. And it had the same reputation. I can't remember if it was coed when I started. East was still dominantly women as Duke only became fully coed beginning in the early 70's. And the biggest palmetto bug I've ever seen-and I've seen more than a few living in South Florida- flew out of a hole in the ceiling in the Jarvis first floor commons room. A tennis racket was required to swat that sucker.

Now back to the topic at hand. Thanks for sharing an update to your story WillJ. The picture brings back a rush of memories of dropping off our son at Epworth as a freshman in 2002. Best wishes to Maddie and all of you as a new chapter begins.

Indoor66
08-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I well remember the thread about your daughter and the pain I (we) felt as we shared your tragedy. I truly appreciate receiving the rest of the story - through the present - that is so positive for you and your family. I hope that Maddie has a wonderful Duke experience. It has to be thrilling for you all.