PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Blood vs. Water

matt1
08-21-2013, 01:45 PM
CBS just announced the cast for the 27th season of Survivor, Survivor: Blood vs. Water.

Tyson (Tocantins, HvV) & his girlfriend, Rachel
Aras (Panama) & his brother, Vytas
Rupert (Pearl Islands, All-Stars, HvV) & his wife, Laura
Candice (Cook Islands, HvV) & her husband, John
Monica (One World) & her husband, Brad (a former NFL player)
Colton (One World) & his fiancee Caleb
Kat (One World) & her boyfriend Hayden (winner of Big Brother 12)
Laura (Samoa) & her daughter Cierra
Gervase (Borneo) & his niece Marissa
Tina (Australia, All-Stars) & her daughter Katie

Also, there are several twists:

1. The game will last 39.5 days, starting with each pair stranded alone to give them the allusion that they will be working together.
2. Two castaways will be voted off on Day 1 and go to Redemption Island, which is coming back.
3. There will be one tribe of all-stars and one of their family members.
4. On Redemption Island, should a competitor's family member still be in the game, he or she can choose (at any point) to compete in the challenge for his or her family member and allow that person back into the main game.
5. Should Twist 4 be used, the family member would join the tribe of his/her family member, rather than his/her initial tribe.
6. Each duel will have three people. The top two will stay on RI, but the first-place finisher has the power to give one person still in the game a clue for a hidden immunity idol.

This season is either going to be great or terrible, and only time will tell.

DU82
08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
CBS just announced the cast for the 27th season of Survivor, Survivor: Blood vs. Water.

Tyson (Tocantins, HvV) & his girlfriend, Rachel
Aras (Panama) & his brother, Vytas
Rupert (Pearl Islands, All-Stars, HvV) & his wife, Laura
Candice (Cook Islands, HvV) & her husband, John
Monica (One World) & her husband, Brad (a former NFL player)
Colton (One World) & his fiancee Caleb
Kat (One World) & her boyfriend Hayden (winner of Big Brother 12)
Laura (Samoa) & her daughter Cierra
Gervase (Borneo) & his niece Marissa
Tina (Australia, All-Stars) & her daughter Katie

Also, there are several twists:

1. The game will last 39.5 days, starting with each pair stranded alone to give them the allusion that they will be working together.
2. Two castaways will be voted off on Day 1 and go to Redemption Island, which is coming back.
3. There will be one tribe of all-stars and one of their family members.
4. On Redemption Island, should a competitor's family member still be in the game, he or she can choose (at any point) to compete in the challenge for his or her family member and allow that person back into the main game.
5. Should Twist 4 be used, the family member would join the tribe of his/her family member, rather than his/her initial tribe.
6. Each duel will have three people. The top two will stay on RI, but the first-place finisher has the power to give one person still in the game a clue for a hidden immunity idol.

Colton (and to a lesser extent Rupert) will make it a terrible season. I guess since they're hopefully done with the Hantzes, they have to move back to him.

Some of the twists sound interesting, we'll see how they go. Redemption Island sounded like a decent idea at first, but the execution has been poor.

YmoBeThere
08-21-2013, 10:49 PM
One of my cubemates married the winner of one of the Survivor seasons. I never saw an episode...

PumpkinFunk
08-23-2013, 10:09 AM

I agree completely. There are so many twists that it could either go spectacularly or blow up spectacularly. My only hope is that Rupert is gone early. I loved him in Pearl Islands (and still do when I rewatch it) but he's become a complete and utter blowhard, to the point where he's a caricature. Colton... he's probably an early boot because of his reputation, but at the very least, he'll be a good character and game-player. He's a super-fan and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, he just has the problem of a huge mouth and verbal diarrhea.

The switching with a loved one twist actually adds a lot to the RI dynamic, because people will have to strategize and figure out if they really have a shot at surviving by switching with their loved ones. Whether it actually works out well? I'm not sure. The Day 1 vote-off seems like an easy way to get rid of Tina, as the oldest woman and a former winner, which is unfortunate because she's one of my favorite players of all-time and someone who could really make it far if she gets a few days in the tribe. I'd expect Laura (Rupert's wife) gets kicked out because she's the oldest woman on the family side.

Also, since this is a Duke board, I should note that we have one UNC alum (Candice) and one current UNC student (Marissa)

The people who I am most excited to see back:

Tina - One of my favorites
Aras - An underrated winner... I think he's a target because of that, but he got so overshadowed by the crazies the first time out that I think he'll be a bigger character now
Tyson - Because he's hilarious
Hayden - Having watched Big Brother, I just can't wait to see how he does. He's way more interesting than Kat, because he's somewhat intelligent and understands strategy and social game. Kat could surprise me this season, but Hayden's the much more interesting member of that duo from the outset.

JasonEvans
08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
The key way this changes the game is the massive shakeup that happens with a merge. Usually, Survivor follows a dull and predictable pattern: tribes compete; merge happens; tribe with more members votes off tribe with fewer members; surviving tribe eats itself. But, this season will almost certainly be different because the merge is going to bring family members together. Those family bonds are certain to destroy existing tribal alliances.

Let me give you a scenario to show what I mean: Tyson, Aras, and Gervace have a solid alliance while Rupert and Kat are on the outs with their group. When they merge with the other tribe, they figure they will bring in Tyson, Aras, and Gervace's family members to form a dominant 6-person alliance that can go to the end together. But, they find out that Aras' brother and Gervace's niece are bitter enemies and want nothing to do with each other. Additionally, Tyson's girlfriend has been voted out and the group cannot form a dominant alliance without the help of Rupert and his wife, and it only works if they agree to kick Aras out of the alliance.

That may have been hard to follow, but you can see what I mean. I see this as totally shaking up the middle of the game, which is a good thing.

That said, I think it will really complicate things down the stretch. What if you have Rupert and his wife as two of the final 3 competitors left in the game? A vote for either of them is a vote for the same thing. It essentially removes an option. I suppose the players will try to take care of this, breaking up family alliances as things get close to the end to prevent someone from having too much power, but it could get messy. Of course, the really smart family connection will realize that it is good to have one member of the family on the jury and one in the finals as your family member is a certain vote and can also try to influence the jury to vote for you.

I think it will be an interesting season, but I am not sure I would want to see it again. Family is just too strong a bond. I think a Survivor would be fun where you paired up co-workers or friends, but family is a bond no one is willing to violate.

-Jason "after the way Brandon went insane last time, I am glad there are no Hanz family members on this show!" Evans

matt1
08-23-2013, 09:46 PM
One of my cubemates married the winner of one of the Survivor seasons. I never saw an episode...

Whom did (s)he marry?

I will have my cast analysis on Sunday or Monday.

Mabdul Doobakus
08-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I think the family thing is a great idea, but I wish they had tried it without all the other "twists". Redemption Island is and always will be a terrible component of the game. I fast forward through most of those challenges, and I hate that it takes time away from the rest of the game.

There were a few cast spoilers being thrown around at the conclusion of last season, and while I distinctly remember Colton's team being tossed around, the last few spoilers seemed to indicate that he was not going to be participating, so I'm very disappointed to see that he's back. I love Survivor villains, but Colton is so over-the-top nasty, that he's in a group of maybe 3-4 past contestants that I truly just do not enjoy watching. I hope he's voted out early. Also disappointed that Rob Cesternino is not coming back, as his name had popped up on most of those earlier spoilers. I know they always have a couple alternates, just in case something happens at the last minute, so I wonder if maybe he was an alternate, or perhaps swapped out at the last minute. Who knows...

Mabdul Doobakus
08-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Curiosity got the best of me, trying to figure out why this cast list looks different from what I was seeing previously. I ended up running into a few spoilers from the early part of the season, which I certainly won't share here. Apparently, Rob C's wife got pregnant, which is why they didn't go. And Candice was a late substitution for RC, whose father was in the hospital. Not sure if she was supposed to be playing with her father or what.

matt1
08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Curiosity got the best of me, trying to figure out why this cast list looks different from what I was seeing previously. I ended up running into a few spoilers from the early part of the season, which I certainly won't share here. Apparently, Rob C's wife got pregnant, which is why they didn't go. And Candice was a late substitution for RC, whose father was in the hospital. Not sure if she was supposed to be playing with her father or what.

RC was supposed to play with her father.

Blue in the Face
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Colton's a dick, and ratings or not, he shouldn't have been given another opportunity in the game.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Colton's a dick, and ratings or not, he shouldn't have been given another opportunity in the game.
This passed the moderators' filters?

DU82
08-26-2013, 07:14 PM

OK, he's a Richard.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2013, 08:04 PM

OK, he's a Richard.

Like the other wienie! :cool:

Who remembers the Crazie's cheer for Richard Paparo, until K stopped it? :D http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

DU82
08-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Like the other wienie! :cool:

Who remembers the Crazie's cheer for Richard Paparo, until K stopped it?

Our esteemed moderator, -jk, started that switch of a cheer.

matt1
08-27-2013, 12:29 AM
It is time to make first impressions of the cast for the upcoming 27th season of Survivor. Here are mine, keeping in mind that these are not spoilers, but first impressions and predictions:

GALANG TRIBE (ALL-STARS):

Tyson- Tyson has always been a big character, and I feel that he will be a very strategic player this season. If a mastermind ultimately does win the game, it could very well be Tyson. I also think that he will not roll over to save his girlfriend, though I will discuss her more later.

Aras- As a former Survivor winner, Aras will have an initial target on his back. However, he will possibly be able to advance if an alliance of the physically strong castaways forms.

Rupert- Rupert is the second person to play Survivor for a fourth time. Nothing has changed for him; he will still be a big personality and be fairly likable. As Boston Rob won on his fourth try, there could be a target on Rupert, a big name. Ultimately, if he gets to the merge, he may be less trusting due to his wife being there.

Candice- Yes, Candice is a competitive person by nature, but I am really not expecting much from her this season. I think that she will be this season's blond girl with no edit that we see every time, which is really disappointing for a third-timer. Hopefully, she can prove me wrong.

Monica- Really, Monica was not particularly memorable on Survivor: One World, and was probably just brought back so that her husband, a former NFL player, could be on the show. What could be interesting is seeing her interactions with Colton, as he played a large hand in her elimination three seasons ago.

Colton- What really needs to be said about one of Survivor's most notorious players? Even if he can avoid getting into a racist altercation this time around, there is already such a target on his back as a result of his actions on Survivor: One World. Maybe, his partner will help him stay calm, but he is an easy early target.

Kat- First of all, you need to understand that Kat is not particularly intelligent. Her only way that she will make it far is if she rides coattails, as she did in Survivor: One World (what is with all these people from One World?).

Laura- She was a very promising player on Survivor: Samoa who was unable to win as a result of Russell Hantz. This time around, she does not need to worry about a Hantz. She is very smart and decent in challenges. If she can align with the right people, she has a good shot to do very well this time around. As a side note, she may be the most attractive 43-year old I have ever seen!

Gervase- It is tough to know what to expect from someone who has not played Survivor in 13 years, but he is strong and should still be good in challenges. I worry a little bit that he could fall victim to players from more recent seasons ganging up on some of the earlier contestants, but he could very well make it to the jury.

Tina- Like Gervase, Tina has not played Survivor in a long time, since Survivor: All-Stars (season 8), where she was the first boot. At this point, she is not physically strong, and her status as winner of Survivor: Australia could make her an easy target.

TADHANA TRIBE (FAMILY MEMBERS):

Rachel- TYSON'S GIRLFRIEND: She is going to struggle mightily in the elements. If there is a quitter this season, it very well may be she, but, if she can cope with the conditions, she very well may ride Tyson's coattails far. She is also the best looking girl this season in my mind. Most like (to me): Purple Kelly (Nicaragua)

Vytas- ARAS'S BROTHER: Vytas is actually in a better position than his brother is in, as he does not have the stigma of being a former winner. He may find himself in an alliance of the stronger men, much like the Three Amigos in Caramoan. I do worry about two things. Firstly, he may fall to hard for a girl, hurting his game. Secondly, his temper may get the best of him. Most like (to me): Eddie Fox (Caramoan)

Laura- RUPERT'S WIFE: People are going to get along with Laura, just as they do with Rupert. However, I think that she may become a liability in challenges and, thus, be voted off. She likely will be able to survive a couple of Tribal Councils due to her likability, but eventually be sent packing. Most like (to me): Sandy Burgin (Tocantins)

John- CANDICE'S HUSBAND: He will be in a very loyal alliance with his wife and likely be enough of an asset to his tribe to be kept for a little while at least. However, I could see him deciding to go to Redemption Island should Candice be sent there at some point. Ultimately, he will be a background character this season. Most like (to me): His wife when she played in Heroes vs. Villains

Brad- MONICA'S HUSBAND: Brad could be an initial target for being a former NFL player. He seems as if he has what it takes to be a good Survivor player, but will have to overcome the stigma of being a professional athlete. Most like (to me): Gary Hogeboom (Guatemala)

Caleb- COLTON'S FIANCEE: He will have to overcome association with Colton, given his actions in One World. The interviews just focused on Colton, so I have yet to be able to form an opinion of his game, but he may have to overcome things in the same way that Brandon Hantz did in South Pacific.

Hayden- KAT'S BOYFRIEND: We know how Hayden will play this game by virtue of what he did on Big Brother 12, where he formed a powerful four-man alliance called the Brigade on Day 1 that would last to the end. His strategy worked on Big Brother, as he won, but will it be able to work again now that people know how he plays. Also, he kept women out of his alliance on Big Brother, but will presumably have his girlfriend in his alliance (though, he did have some feelings for Kristen, a girl on Big Brother 12). Finally, one has to wonder if he will be a target for having won Big Brother.

Cierra- LAURA'S DAUGHTER: She is going to be a very emotional player who will not be the leader of her alliance. She has a couple of young children at home and will miss her family greatly. She will likely align with some strategic players, including her mother if they are ever on the same tribe. Ultimately, she will be in the background and only shown occasionally for a few scenes with her wearing a bikini. Most like (to me): Dawn Meehan (South Pacific and Caramoan)

Marissa- GERVASE'S NIECE: First of all, I hate her already, as she appears to be a student at Carolina. Setting that aside, I think that she will be a very good player. She seems to have a competitive spirit and know how the game is played. She has lived Survivor since her uncle was on it when she was 8. Finally, it will help her that she is only in an uncle / niece relationship, as the more closely related people may shy away from making big moves, while she and Gervase will not be so timid. Most like (to me): Kim Spradlin (One World)

Katie- TINA'S DAUGHTER: I really do not have much of a read on her at this point. She says that she identifies herself with Whitney Duncan from Survivor: South Pacific due to their both being Southern, music-playing, females. That may wind up being accurate and meaning that she will not get that much of an edit throughout the season.

wavedukefan70s
09-02-2013, 08:06 AM
We may not watch this season.my wife is a big brother aficionado to put it lightly.she swears the big brother cast was talking about who on survivor had gotten how far.i won't elaborate in detail as to not spoil the show.but if its correct its a shame for both shows.how did they find out they are supposed to be be away from the outside world and who talked from survivor.could it have been a producer.very interesting situation.

Mabdul Doobakus
09-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Strangely, until just now I always though Monica Culpepper was the wife of Daunte Culpepper. I've never heard of Brad Culpepper. That's much less interesting.

DU82
09-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Strangely, until just now I always though Monica Culpepper was the wife of Daunte Culpepper. I've never heard of Brad Culpepper. That's much less interesting.

I'm with you on that one. I looked at the picture of the cast and thought "that's not what I thought Daunte looks like!)

JasonEvans
09-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I have not seen tonight's episode yet... but, wanted to point out that tonight is the 400th episode of Survivor. And I have seen all 399 before this. If CBS were to replay every episode of Survivor non-stop in prime time, it would take the network 5 months to re-broadcast all of them. If you played every episode of Survivor back-to-back in a continuous loop, it would take more than 18 days before you were finished.

Many people forget, but when Survivor first aired in the summer of 2000, there was really no such thing as reality TV in the US. The top shows on TV were things like Dharma and Greg, Friends, Touched By An Angel, The Practice. Sure, there had been game shows before, but this was a contest totally different from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. When Survivor arrived on the scene, it altered the TV landscape. It was a ratings juggernaut and immediately sparked the reality craze with Temptation Island, Fear Factor, The Bachelor, The Amazing Race, and American Idol arriving on the scene over the next two years. But Survivor was the first... unless you count Cops ;)

-Jason "Tonight is an historic moment in TV. 400 episodes. Here's to 400 more!" Evans

cf-62
09-19-2013, 12:34 AM
I have not seen tonight's episode yet... but, wanted to point out that tonight is the 400th episode of Survivor. And I have seen all 399 before this. If CBS were to replay every episode of Survivor non-stop in prime time, it would take the network 5 months to re-broadcast all of them. If you played every episode of Survivor back-to-back in a continuous loop, it would take more than 18 days before you were finished.

Many people forget, but when Survivor first aired in the summer of 2000, there was really no such thing as reality TV in the US. The top shows on TV were things like Dharma and Greg, Friends, Touched By An Angel, The Practice. Sure, there had been game shows before, but this was a contest totally different from Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. When Survivor arrived on the scene, it altered the TV landscape. It was a ratings juggernaut and immediately sparked the reality craze with Temptation Island, Fear Factor, The Bachelor, The Amazing Race, and American Idol arriving on the scene over the next two years. But Survivor was the first... unless you count Cops ;)

-Jason "Tonight is an historic moment in TV. 400 episodes. Here's to 400 more!" Evans

I was one of 6 sponsors of season 1 (I donated the world phone whose use was won by Gervase in an individual reward challenge late in the game). I remember the first pitch - it seemed so amazing at first, and we really didn't even know how the play would go. All the Challenges are so elaborate now - back then, it was a bucket of water and a rope, or nasty food.

I watched season 1 twice, and every episode since. Now, this season will be fairly pedestrian UNTIL the merge *(unlike previous seasons).

Mabdul Doobakus
09-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Well, the family angle has definitely added some new layers to the game. Much of the episode was devoted to players taking about how this season is different from all the other seasons, and they're right. Marissa got voted off tonight seemingly entirely because of something a player on the other tribe did. I'm pretty sure that's never happened before. I didn't watch the first season--it was a summer show, and I was in a different country--but I've watched every season except one since then. Is Gervase known to be a clown? Gloating after that sorry performance is beyond ridiculous. Kind of like Geno Smith gloating after the Jets win in week one.

I continue to hate Redemption Island. They decided it was so necessary to fill their stupid Redemption Island that they had two people voted off before the game even began. Laura was voted off because she was the oldest woman by far on her tribe. She never had a chance. Candace was voted off because she's Candace. People just don't seem to like her that much. And she should have taken that decision out of her husband's hands. She's already played twice before. It's his turn.

I thought the tribe of loved ones was more interesting than the returnees for most of the episode. I know I complained earlier about Monica marrying the wrong Culpepper, but this Brad guy is Survivor gold...he's a complete moron but he's got some charisma, and I forget who called him out on his attempt to recreate the locker room dynamics from his previous life, but that was spot on.

Blue in the Face
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
So I was wrong, it was fantastically worth it that they gave him another shot. Has Jeff ever gone off on a player like that before? (And Caleb, you seem like a decent enough guy. Hard to believe you can't do better. Waaay better).

JasonEvans
10-07-2013, 02:45 PM
So I was wrong, it was fantastically worth it that they gave him another shot. Has Jeff ever gone off on a player like that before? (And Caleb, you seem like a decent enough guy. Hard to believe you can't do better. Waaay better).

That was sad to watch and I really felt for the poor soul enduring so much pain on national TV...

At least that would have been how I would have reacted if a normal human being had been involved. Instead, it was slimy, evil, pathetic Colton suffering so I loved it! I too have no idea what Caleb is doing with him. A piece of me thinks that Colton and Caleb are pulling a stunt on Survivor (audience and producers) and that Caleb isn't really Colton's one true love because there is just no way a regular person like Caleb could find anything to love in Colton's heart.

Though I was sad to see him taken out, I found John's play in the game really poor. When his wife made a show of giving him the immunity clue twice, he needed to make sure he was not a threat by sharing those clues with all the other guys in the group. He was smart to include Brad (who is a control freak) but he should have extended his influence elsewhere. He put too much trust in Brad, always a bad idea with someone who is clearly a schemer.

There are still 14 players left (plus the three on Redemption Isle), so we are still a few episodes away from a merge. I wonder if we may see a tribal shuffle and/or a double elimination episode in the next couple weeks as the pace of eliminations must increase for the show to fit into the standard 14 episode season.

I cannot even tell you how eager I am for the merge because it opens up some amazingly complex coalition possibilities with the loved ones. Here's something I wonder... might sibling rivalry keep Aras and Vytas from forming an alliance? Could we see folks like Laura, Gervace, Tyson, Caleb (and others TDB) bond over having lost their loved ones and in opposition to the loved ones tandems that are still standing when the merge happens?

-Jason "I really think the loved ones twist is a strong one that has energized the game this season -- though the ratings are not great" Evans

cf-62
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
That was sad to watch and I really felt for the poor soul enduring so much pain on national TV...

At least that would have been how I would have reacted if a normal human being had been involved. Instead, it was slimy, evil, pathetic Colton suffering so I loved it! I too have no idea what Caleb is doing with him. A piece of me thinks that Colton and Caleb are pulling a stunt on Survivor (audience and producers) and that Caleb isn't really Colton's one true love because there is just no way a regular person like Caleb could find anything to love in Colton's heart.

Though I was sad to see him taken out, I found John's play in the game really poor. When his wife made a show of giving him the immunity clue twice, he needed to make sure he was not a threat by sharing those clues with all the other guys in the group. He was smart to include Brad (who is a control freak) but he should have extended his influence elsewhere. He put too much trust in Brad, always a bad idea with someone who is clearly a schemer.

There are still 14 players left (plus the three on Redemption Isle), so we are still a few episodes away from a merge. I wonder if we may see a tribal shuffle and/or a double elimination episode in the next couple weeks as the pace of eliminations must increase for the show to fit into the standard 14 episode season.

I cannot even tell you how eager I am for the merge because it opens up some amazingly complex coalition possibilities with the loved ones. Here's something I wonder... might sibling rivalry keep Aras and Vytas from forming an alliance? Could we see folks like Laura, Gervace, Tyson, Caleb (and others TDB) bond over having lost their loved ones and in opposition to the loved ones tandems that are still standing when the merge happens?

-Jason "I really think the loved ones twist is a strong one that has energized the game this season -- though the ratings are not great" Evans

I think the family angle makes for a great twist to the game -- FOR THE PLAYERS. As we've discussed, it adds so many layers (getting penalized because of your loved one's behavior, voting out someone to try to get their loved one onto Redemption Island, etc.). The ratings are down because unless you're a Surivor freak (like all of us), then all those layers are transparent to the camera. Sure, the one or two that end up in some action can end up on camera, but most of it is going to be in strategy moves (or non-moves). Average Joe America won't be trying to figure out all the different ways a strategy might go. Instead, they're upset because Rupert is gone on Week 2, instead of being in the Final 3.

To them, it's a depressing turn of events. To us, it's a "oh no, that move backfired."

matt1
10-07-2013, 09:19 PM
I think the family angle makes for a great twist to the game -- FOR THE PLAYERS. As we've discussed, it adds so many layers (getting penalized because of your loved one's behavior, voting out someone to try to get their loved one onto Redemption Island, etc.). The ratings are down because unless you're a Surivor freak (like all of us), then all those layers are transparent to the camera. Sure, the one or two that end up in some action can end up on camera, but most of it is going to be in strategy moves (or non-moves). Average Joe America won't be trying to figure out all the different ways a strategy might go. Instead, they're upset because Rupert is gone on Week 2, instead of being in the Final 3.

To them, it's a depressing turn of events. To us, it's a "oh no, that move backfired."

The ratings are actually recovering. Last week had a season high, and I am hopeful that they can continue to go up. One way or the other, Survivor is in no danger of cancellation. I love the Blood vs. Water twist, as it adds so many layers to the game. Never before have people had to consider potentially weakening the other tribe with their vote. I am not a huge fan of RI, but I think that it works better in conjunction with this twist than it did alone.

matt1
10-09-2013, 09:50 PM
That was one of the best episodes in a long time if not one of the best ever. Brad lost the game when he accidentally said too much about his plan (which was not even a smart one to begin with) during tribal council. It was something to see everyone's votes shifting right up to the vote. Furthermore, we came so close to seeing the reintroduction of the purple rock after 23 seasons without seeing it.

JasonEvans
10-10-2013, 01:34 AM
I agree that was one of the all-time awesome tribal councils. Sadly, it was sorta telegraphed. After only a short period of discussion and maneuvers, we saw the tribe head to tribal council. I looked at the clock and it was on 8:47pm. 13 minutes until the show was over. I turned to my wife and said, "we are about to see one crazy tribal council and probably a tie vote."

Still, even seeing it coming, it was so much fun to enjoy. Was there anything better than Hayden writing "C-i-e" and then scratching it out and then starting to write something else and scratching that out. The total anguish on his face was too much! And I love that, in the end, he did not abandon Brad but, without a hint he was wavering, Vytas went ahead and voted Brad out.

I suspect they told the players that another tie would bring out the purple stone of death, even though they did not let the audience in on that. Facing the purple stone, EVERYONE still voting makes sure there won't be any more tie votes.

Props to Caleb for taking control and engineering a backstab while at TC. I don't think we have ever seen that before. Of course, the previews for next week show him doing more than a little gloating and we all know how Survivor treats anyone who thinks they are in charge of the game -- see ya!

The loved ones twist is truly altering the game in unexpected ways. Brad is already plotting about connecting with people on the other tribe who have loved ones he is allied with. This is pretty savvy forward thinking (though he has been waay too bold and open about his scheming). As I have been saying from the start, the loved ones twist makes the merge a far less predictable part of the game. Outstanding!

-Jason "turning into one of the best seasons in a while -- I am really liking where Aras and Vytas seem to be in the game right now" Evans

cf-62
11-07-2013, 06:55 AM
We always have discussions about dumb players, but after catching up on some back episodes last night, I'm right back in the Kat has to be the absolute dumbest player in the history of Survivor. I really don't understand how this woman can even put together coherent sentences.

And the fact that she KNOWS she that dumb just makes it hilarious. The breakdowns just make me laugh. I wonder if the producers mean for them to be comedic, or if they think those are actually emotional scenes.

matt1
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
We always have discussions about dumb players, but after catching up on some back episodes last night, I'm right back in the Kat has to be the absolute dumbest player in the history of Survivor. I really don't understand how this woman can even put together coherent sentences.

And the fact that she KNOWS she that dumb just makes it hilarious. The breakdowns just make me laugh. I wonder if the producers mean for them to be comedic, or if they think those are actually emotional scenes.

She can't. Just look at her attempted prayer at the beginning of her elimination episode.

JasonEvans
11-08-2013, 08:10 AM
The moment Aras and Vytas started talking about how much they were in control of the game, you knew one of them was heading home. So predictable. I was intrigued though that they seemed to acknowledge that everyone knew they were a big threat to go all the way but the brothers appeared to think no one would even try to stop them. Ummm, really?!?! With a bunch of experienced players around?!?! I think not.

I also cannot believe that Tina was so dumb as to tell Monica that she was #5 in the alliance. Come on!??! How stupid do you have to be?!?!

I like that it feels unpredictable at this point. I am not even sure that Vytas is the next logical boot. I think it may be Laura M. So far, the blood thing has made for a very compelling season!

-Jason "been a good season" Evans

mkirsh
12-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Not sure if anyone is still watching this, but what a great tribal last night! Only second time in history they had to resort to drawing rocks.

World class scrambling by Hayden last night to save himself. Not sure he has enough to get to the end (more on that later), but I think he's played a great game so far. He laid low early on, not drawing attention to himself as an obvious threat - he's strong, and though I've never seen Big Brother I have to assume he is smart, social, and strategic to have won it, but he did a good job staying under the radar early. I thought his ploy to try to blindside Tyson was the right move last week, and his figuring out that Ciera had flipped and trying to move blame to her was the right move as well. All that said, he's on the wrong side of the numbers right now, with the big exception being if someone (especially Laura) comes back from Redemption to move the numbers back to 3-3.

I think Tyson could have tried a little harder to avoid drawing rocks last night. He could have said "Ciera, even if you believe you are #4 here, your new alliance has a 67% chance of drawing the white rock, so you will be on the outs. If you side with us now I can guarantee you that Hayden goes before you and you are final 4, and once we are at final 4 anything can happen, but if you make us pick rocks and you lose you will be voted out next"

Tyson still is in control of this game with an idol in his pocket. The best idol plays usually get two weeks out of, so if he can do that he has an easy path to the final 4. I think the biggest question for him will be who we wants to sit next to? I think he's played a great game so may be in position to take Gervais and Monica and say he stayed true to his alliance, but if he wants to sit next to less worthy folks he would be best to take whomever comes back from Redemption and maybe Sierra. I would expect him to go the former believe he can beat anyone at final tribal

Monica might also be a dark horse to win - she has been a challenge monster! I get the feeling that she isn't well liked by the jury (not disliked, but get the sense that she annoys some people), but if there is a negative backlash against Tyson she might be the alternative that the jury turns to.

Hate it that they wasted the house of cards challenge at redemption island (and time limited it), I love that one for regular immunity at this stage of the game. Also thought it odd that the reward winners weren't taken to a different location - that usually happens and creates larger cracks in the alliances (but in this case might have made for less dramatic tribal council).

Anyway, enjoying the season so far.

mr. synellinden
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Not sure if anyone is still watching this, but what a great tribal last night! Only second time in history they had to resort to drawing rocks.

World class scrambling by Hayden last night to save himself. Not sure he has enough to get to the end (more on that later), but I think he's played a great game so far. He laid low early on, not drawing attention to himself as an obvious threat - he's strong, and though I've never seen Big Brother I have to assume he is smart, social, and strategic to have won it, but he did a good job staying under the radar early. I thought his ploy to try to blindside Tyson was the right move last week, and his figuring out that Ciera had flipped and trying to move blame to her was the right move as well. All that said, he's on the wrong side of the numbers right now, with the big exception being if someone (especially Laura) comes back from Redemption to move the numbers back to 3-3.

I think Tyson could have tried a little harder to avoid drawing rocks last night. He could have said "Ciera, even if you believe you are #4 here, your new alliance has a 67% chance of drawing the white rock, so you will be on the outs. If you side with us now I can guarantee you that Hayden goes before you and you are final 4, and once we are at final 4 anything can happen, but if you make us pick rocks and you lose you will be voted out next"

Tyson still is in control of this game with an idol in his pocket. The best idol plays usually get two weeks out of, so if he can do that he has an easy path to the final 4. I think the biggest question for him will be who we wants to sit next to? I think he's played a great game so may be in position to take Gervais and Monica and say he stayed true to his alliance, but if he wants to sit next to less worthy folks he would be best to take whomever comes back from Redemption and maybe Sierra. I would expect him to go the former believe he can beat anyone at final tribal

Monica might also be a dark horse to win - she has been a challenge monster! I get the feeling that she isn't well liked by the jury (not disliked, but get the sense that she annoys some people), but if there is a negative backlash against Tyson she might be the alternative that the jury turns to.

Hate it that they wasted the house of cards challenge at redemption island (and time limited it), I love that one for regular immunity at this stage of the game. Also thought it odd that the reward winners weren't taken to a different location - that usually happens and creates larger cracks in the alliances (but in this case might have made for less dramatic tribal council).

Anyway, enjoying the season so far.

Yep, still watching. It's been a really fun season even though I really hate the Redemption Island part of the game. Last night was a defining episode that will help make this season memorable. I love what Hayden did to turn Ciera around. At camp she was saying there is no way I'm even considering flipping with Hayden. And then in front of the whole tribe and jury, Hayden made the compelling case about as well as he could - it was essentially an offer Ciera couldn't refuse, and it was great that the jury got to see it. There is no way Ciera can beat Tyson, Gervase or Monica if she even makes it to the final 3. And the chances of her winning the final four immunity and getting to the final 3 are remote, unless Tyson decides he has to cut bait with Gervase and sit next to a weaker player at the final tribal council. I'm glad Ciera was smart enough to make the move that she did, I just wish she had done it last week and flipped with Katie, Hayden and Caleb. That was her path to winning.

Now the question is whether they put someone from Redemption back in the game now, or next week. If it's this week, then we'll most likely see a tie vote again this week because Katie, Laura or Tina are going to side with Ciera and Hayden if they make it back. So, it could be rocks again, unless Monica and Gervase are smart enough to flip on Tyson (in which case, will Tyson be smart enough to play his idol?). I find it interesting that if you think a tie vote is inevitable, you'd rather be the one getting votes since you will be immune from the rock picking.

DukeCrow
12-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I thought Ciera was a smart player... until this week. If she was going to flip, she should have done it last week with all the newbies. Doesn't make sense to side with the vets last week and then flip this week. Everything Hayden said to her was just as true last week as this week, so she ended up playing by the seat of her pants this week instead of being thoughtful and strategic. Her move makes even less sense after sharing with the vets the clue to the hidden immunity idol. That immunity idol would have been much more useful to her if she had shared it with the newbs in secret but acted like she was still in an alliance with Tyson. They could have used the idol to get rid of Tyson, and then they would have been in control of the game. Now she's lost her place with the vets and is on the wrong side of the numbers (unless they reinsert the Redemption winner next week). This week really exposed how weak her strategic thinking is. Maybe her strategy is to keep forcing rocks every week and hope luck is on her side :confused:

gurufrisbee
12-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I thought Ciera was a smart player... :

Really? I've never seen anything from her to make me believe that.

Redemption Island sucks in general. And every season where they combine SOME returning players and SOME new players has been a total disaster. But at least this season they finally found a way of doing both of these things in a decent way.

JasonEvans
12-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I found Ciera's move totally confusing. I am convinced she thought of it on a whim after listening to Hayden talk at tribal, which is almost always a bad idea. Her flip gave her just a 1-in-3 chance of seizing control of the game as it only works if Tyson is the one who draws the rock. What's more, it also gave her a 1-in-3 chance of being sent to redemption! She put herself in major danger and I can't figure out why she did it.

Even if Monica is the favored final 3 companion of Tyson and Gerv, there is still time and opportunity for Ciera to convince that trio to flip on one of their own. She has actually shown a propensity for convincing people in the game that they should do as she wants. I think she had a good shot at this if she had not flipped. Now, her trust and that chance are gone. While I suppose there is a shot she can still be in good shape if the game returns someone from Redemption this week and again sets up a 3-on-3 vote which likely ends with a rock draw, I think her odds were better under other scenarios.

By the way, I really love the way the blood vs Water season has gone. The family/loved one allegiance has added a fun degree of uncertainty to everyone's motivations. I am usually not a fan of Redemption Island but the family angle has made that part of it much more interesting.

-Jason "I bet Tina lays down in the challenge this week to ensure that her daughter stays alive (once she knows that Laura is not going to come in third)" Evans

Udaman
12-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Last night was one of those maddeningly frustrating episodes. Three reasons:

1) The Redemption Island challenge. We had seen the challenge before, and it's kind of boring. Laura M dominated (again), and Tina's daughter was so brutally inept that she literally forced Tina to have to win the challenge. Then we had the tears over the mom beating the daughter, even though if one of them wins the million, they both really win.

2) The terrible Immunity Challenge. I'm sorry, but if you have a challenge where during the first portion of it one of the contestants is laughably awful, there is NO WAY that person should have a chance to eventually come back and win. If they can (as Ciera did), then the first part of the challenge doesn't even matter, so why have it at all. And then her little dance afterwards - blech! And picking Hayden made no sense at all. She should have picked Monica.

3) Ciera telling Monica what Tyson said. Maddening. For more than one reason. First - why in hell would Tyson and Gervais ever let Monica go and talk with Ciera. Boston Rob showed how you do it. Pull your alliance together and say "you aren't talking to them. Period. Not a word. If you have a word with them it must be with all of us present." I'm guessing that maybe, just maybe Survivor said you can't do that anymore, that if a contestant from the other team asks you to go talk with them in private you have to do so. It's the only thing that makes sense. Secondly, that Monica seemed to believe part of what she was saying to her. I mean, come on. She's desperate. She'll lie, steal, cheat, kick, scratch, do anything to get to the next vote. You can't believe anything she's saying. Lastly, that it made it seem like there was even a chance that Monica would flip. I guess they have to do that for suspense, but there was NO WAY. Why? Because if Monica flips, then she's automatically out of the Final 3 because a) if Laura M or Tina win the last Redemption Island challenge, they side with Hayden and Ciera and Monica doesn't make the final three and b) even if Gervais wins the last Redemption Challenge, he and Tyson don't trust Monica anymore, and likely cut a deal with Ciera to kick her out, and she knows Tyson has the immunity idol. So there was no way that she would flip.

Now, the next vote is a different story. If Monica wants to make a move this is the time to do it. Align with Ciera and the winner of Redemption Island and flip on Tyson and Gervais. The real problem in doing that is that she then loses their votes, and she's going up against Ciera and Hayden/Laura/Tina in the finals, and they will beat her with their former alliance members. I still think it's more than likely that Tyson, Gervais and Monica make the final three. I hope they do, because they've played the best, other than Laura M who's dominated at Redemption Island (which is impressive, but is different than living through Tribal Council).

DukeCrow
12-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Secondly, that Monica seemed to believe part of what she was saying to her. I mean, come on. She's desperate. She'll lie, steal, cheat, kick, scratch, do anything to get to the next vote. You can't believe anything she's saying.

But Ciera told her those things "woman to woman" so they had to be true...right? :rolleyes:

DevilBen02
12-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Secondly, that Monica seemed to believe part of what she was saying to her. I mean, come on. She's desperate. She'll lie, steal, cheat, kick, scratch, do anything to get to the next vote. You can't believe anything she's saying. Lastly, that it made it seem like there was even a chance that Monica would flip. I guess they have to do that for suspense, but there was NO WAY. Why? Because if Monica flips, then she's automatically out of the Final 3 because a) if Laura M or Tina win the last Redemption Island challenge, they side with Hayden and Ciera and Monica doesn't make the final three and b) even if Gervais wins the last Redemption Challenge, he and Tyson don't trust Monica anymore, and likely cut a deal with Ciera to kick her out, and she knows Tyson has the immunity idol. So there was no way that she would flip.

CBS's youtube channel actually has an unaired confessional from Monica that pretty much says this. She knows that Ciera was speaking from a position of desperation, she didn't believe (or didn't care) that her stories about Tyson and Gervaise were genuine, and she never considered flipping. Of course, they couldn't show this interview because it would ruin the drama of Tribal Council that episode.

JasonEvans
12-14-2013, 10:28 AM
CBS's youtube channel actually has an unaired confessional from Monica that pretty much says this. She knows that Ciera was speaking from a position of desperation, she didn't believe (or didn't care) that her stories about Tyson and Gervaise were genuine, and she never considered flipping. Of course, they couldn't show this interview because it would ruin the drama of Tribal Council that episode.

Like all the rest of you, I had done the math and knew there was no way Monica would flip last week. What's more, the moment Tyson did not play his idol, it told you that he was 100% confident that Monica was still on his side.

Now, I don't think Monica would be smart to flip on Tyson and Gerv this coming week at the final 5, but if she does there is a way Tyson could ensure that he and his buddy make it to the end. First, he tells everyone that he has the idol and he plans to play it this week. This will lead the rivals to want to vote for Gervase instead. Then, after the votes have been cast, he hands the idol to Gerv ensuring they both are safe. Viola -- Gervace and Tyson automatically make the final 4.

-Jason "been a good season - will be interesting to see if Laura's challenge dominance on Redemption island can keep her alive when she comes back into the real game... if she does come back" Evans

Udaman
12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Congrats to Tyson, who certainly deserved the win. Odd that the last few Survivor's have been pretty much blowouts when it comes to the final vote (unanimous or all but 1). Guess that's part of the problem of how you get there. You need to be a leader, who is smart enough to bring people with you that look like they just came for the ride. Tyson played that perfectly.

Final tribal council was pretty soft. There just weren't very many villains this year, and nobody on the jury could really, truly hate anyone in the Final 3. The tears were a bit much, I have to admit. I would have voted for Gervais just because he never cried.

I will say next year's theme seems exceedingly lame. Brains, Brawn and Beauty? Um.....isn't that pretty much every season?

Still waiting for Survivor: Champions with all former returning winners, plus a few more absolute beasts. Imagine a season with Boston Rob, Ethan, Ozzie, Cochran, Fabio, Coach, Russell, Yul Kwon, JT and Rupert as the men and Sandra, Jenna, Amber, Parvati, Tina, Denise, Kim Spradlin, Jerri, Amanda and Monica in the other. That's a show I would watch. Give the winner $5M.