PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff Time for First Game

devildeac
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Did anyone notice in their ticket packages that arrived today that the kickoff time is 4 PM (or 1600 hours for you Naval folks;))? Wonder what time the True Blue 'Cue Crew will arrive...

Bob Green
08-20-2013, 04:56 AM
Games 1, 2 and 3 have mid-afternoon kickoffs:

NCCU - 1600
@ Memphis - 1630
Georgia Tech - 1600

Memphis game will be televised on ESPNU.

jjasper0729
08-20-2013, 07:36 AM

NCCU - 1600
@ Memphis - 1630
Georgia Tech - 1600

Havent' received my tickets yet. Hoping that's today or tomorrow. According to the schedule, the GT game is on the U though:

Sat, Aug 31 N.C. Central Durham, N.C. 4:00 p.m. ESPN3
Sat, Sep 07 Memphis Memphis, Tenn. 4:30 p.m. ESPN3
Sat, Sep 14 Georgia Tech * Durham, N.C. 3:30 p.m. ESPNU

Bob Green
08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
According to the schedule, the GT game is on the U though:

Sat, Aug 31 N.C. Central Durham, N.C. 4:00 p.m. ESPN3
Sat, Sep 07 Memphis Memphis, Tenn. 4:30 p.m. ESPN3
Sat, Sep 14 Georgia Tech * Durham, N.C. 3:30 p.m. ESPNU

Thanks for the correction! I looked at the schedule prior to posting, but it appears I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was actually there. :o

CameronBornAndBred
08-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Ahhh...4PM in Wallace Wade on an August afternoon. HotHotHotHotHotHot

DownEastDevil
08-20-2013, 02:08 PM
The Belk Bowl is being shown on ESPNU right now and at 3pm they will show this years spring game.

TruBlu
08-20-2013, 03:29 PM

NCCU - 1600
@ Memphis - 1630
Georgia Tech - 1600

Once upon a time, I knew what those numbers meant, but then I rediscovered how to be a civilian.:)

August 31 can't get here soon enough!

Newton_14
08-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Did anyone notice in their ticket packages that arrived today that the kickoff time is 4 PM (or 1600 hours for you Naval folks;))? Wonder what time the True Blue 'Cue Crew will arrive...

Yes and it sucks. I love the 7pm starts in these early season games. Shocked they set that game at 4pm kickoff. Now thankfully we have had a very odd rainy and cool summer but I expect it will be too hot for a 4pm start for the Bull City Classic. I will be there anyway of course but would be so much better with the normal 7pm start.

jjasper0729
08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the correction! I looked at the schedule prior to posting, but it appears I saw what I wanted to see rather than what was actually there. :o

Not a problem at all. It happens to me all the time.

I'll be in the parking lot behind Gross Chem around Noon. If anyone wants to stop by I should have plenty of eastern style barbecue (the only barbecue, but I won't get into that here).

allenmurray
08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes and it sucks. I love the 7pm starts in these early season games. Shocked they set that game at 4pm kickoff. Now thankfully we have had a very odd rainy and cool summer but I expect it will be too hot for a 4pm start for the Bull City Classic. I will be there anyway of course but would be so much better with the normal 7pm start.

It is not uncommon for the temperature to be in the mid to upper 90s. Wallace Wade is a bowl made of concrete that holds heat very well. A 4:00 start on August 31 borders on dangerous. It is not a smart thing to do.

matt1
08-21-2013, 02:16 PM
It is not uncommon for the temperature to be in the mid to upper 90s. Wallace Wade is a bowl made of concrete that holds heat very well. A 4:00 start on August 31 borders on dangerous. It is not a smart thing to do.

Yeah, I remember going to a game in late October when the temperature was only about 65 degrees, but thinking that it was hot out during the game.

They should play August / September games in the South at night. Also, the long range forecasts are calling for way above normal temperatures next weekend, perhaps 95, sunny, and humid.

killerleft
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM

And Duke officials know very well just how dangerous it is. Just a few years ago there were a couple of games that resulted in health issues for quite a number of folks. I'm surprised they have "unlearned" the lesson so quickly.

PDDuke85
08-21-2013, 03:10 PM
And Duke officials know very well just how dangerous it is. Just a few years ago there were a couple of games that resulted in health issues for quite a number of folks. I'm surprised they have "unlearned" the lesson so quickly.

Aren't start times dictated by ESPN? In this instance, the game is on ESPN3. A really silly if not dangerous start time in order to share this opening game with fans out in computer land. I agree national exposure is great, but a 4:00 PM start is dumb. I presume the administration of Duke have no recourse...correct me if I'm wrong.

uh_no
08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
Aren't start times dictated by ESPN? In this instance, the game is on ESPN3. A really silly if not dangerous start time in order to share this opening game with fans out in computer land. I agree national exposure is great, but a 4:00 PM start is dumb. I presume the administration of Duke have no recourse...correct me if I'm wrong.

they could always forfeit....but yeah, they're under contract to play when ESPN says they do

allenmurray
08-21-2013, 08:42 PM
they could always forfeit....but yeah, they're under contract to play when ESPN says they do

Most university sports teams are controlled by ESPN and Nike. They sold out to them long ago, they just try not to talk about it. They'll wear whatever ugly uniforms Nike wants to market, They'll play whenever ESPN says to play. Duke is no different in that regard.

killerleft
08-21-2013, 08:46 PM

My bad. Well, let's just hope the weather is tolerable, I guess. Didn't we lose somebody at one of those games? Not to mention the hustling around by the medical personnel to check on people. I remember lots of folks finding shade, sitting down and not looking so good. Those free bottles of water at the next heat game really helped, I think.

Dev11
08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Most university sports teams are controlled by ESPN and Nike. They sold out to them long ago, they just try not to talk about it. They'll wear whatever ugly uniforms Nike wants to market, They'll play whenever ESPN says to play. Duke is no different in that regard.

That's not fair. Some teams are controlled by CBS or B1G Network or Under Armour.

flyingdutchdevil
08-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Actually, given Duke's stature, wouldn't you agree that Duke is under the thumb of Nike and ESPN even more?

Also, we have different definitions of selling out. What Duke did with ESPN and Nike is just good business. Want to retain the best coach in the country? Gotta pay him. Want to develop our players in the off-season? Gotta have the best facilities. Wanna get more publicity for recruits, which helps to sustain the successful Duke model? Gotta buy into ESPN and Nike.

devildeac
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
From The Weather Channel:

Sat
Aug 31
Mostly Sunny 87°
72°

airowe
08-22-2013, 09:45 PM
From The Weather Channel:

Sat
Aug 31
Mostly Sunny 87°
72°

It's gonna suck for NC Central to be on that sideline...

devildeac
08-22-2013, 10:49 PM
It's gonna suck for NC Central to be on that sideline...

I'm guessing they'll be in their white unis and we'll be in our home black and blue ones;). That might help them stay a bit cooler as that afternoon sun blazes down:D.

-bdbd
08-23-2013, 12:37 AM
it's gonna suck for nc central to be on that sideline...

Sure hope so!!!!

;)

Jarhead
08-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm guessing they'll be in their white unis and we'll be in our home black and blue ones;). That might help them stay a bit cooler as that afternoon sun blazes down:D.

Maybe I am confused, but who will "stay a bit cooler as that afternoon sun blazes down?" If it were my choice, I'd pick the all-in-white uni. I'm just sayin'.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/7.gif

PDDuke85
08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Maybe I am confused, but who will "stay a bit cooler as that afternoon sun blazes down?" If it were my choice, I'd pick the all-in-white uni. I'm just sayin'.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/7.gif

I'm thinking the team with the hottest offense will remain the coolest.

alteran
08-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Agreed, the heat will be oppressive.

But-- glass half-full-- the fact that TV wants to dictate a time to us AT ALL is a good sign. Pre-Cut, we could have played any time we wanted to.

Newton_14
08-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Agreed, the heat will be oppressive.

But-- glass half-full-- the fact that TV wants to dictate a time to us AT ALL is a good sign. Pre-Cut, we could have played any time we wanted to.

Yeah that is a sign of progress for sure. Still ESPN should figure out a way to make the schedule work where teams in the Southern portion of the US get night games if at all possible, but maybe they did and we drew the short straw in that pool of games.

devildeac
08-24-2013, 01:35 AM

My memory may be failing but I think the visitors wear white unis (or perhaps at least get their choice) in FB and the the home team dresses out in their school colors, or variations thereof.

CameronBornAndBred
08-24-2013, 12:53 PM
My memory may be failing but I think the visitors wear white unis (or perhaps at least get their choice) in FB and the the home team dresses out in their school colors, or variations thereof.
Lately..it's been black for the opener. I think the Duke staff might wisely skip that choice this year.

Reilly
08-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Let's go all white ... including white helmets and white shoes (it's still pre-Labor Day).

Kimist
08-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I've been around long enough to remember when there were NO lights in Wallace Wade, so many (most) of the September games were played in a southern sauna. For my first couple of seasons, I got ("better") seats on the visitors side. Did not take me long to learn that lesson, and I've been on the press box side ever since. I cannot imagine how hot it was on the field!

Once the (permanent) lights arrived, and then evening games became possible, football life was much more tolerable for those in the seats.

I should have learned my lesson when I attended the USA/USSR track meet (late 70's ?) and the best seats, close to the finish line for track/field, were near the President's Box and in the direct (July??) sun. Since that was a full-day event (multiple days), it took me a long time to recover.

But TV and $$$ govern many game decisions. Since this is primarily a basketball board, I assume you have already noted the starting time for the Duke/Syracuse game in the Carrier Dome is 6:30 pm EST, and then the Duke/Syracuse game in Cameron is at 6:00 pm EST? I foresee many Duke fans "leaving work early." :rolleyes:

k

tbyers11
08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
But TV and $$$ govern many game decisions. Since this is primarily a basketball board, I assume you have already noted the starting time for the Duke/Syracuse game in the Carrier Dome is 6:30 pm EST, and then the Duke/Syracuse game in Cameron is at 6:00 pm EST? I foresee many Duke fans "leaving work early." :rolleyes:

k

TV does determine many tipoff times, often to the detriment of common sense. However, both of the Duke-Syracuse games this year are on Saturdays so I don't think many people will have to leave work early ;)

devildeac
08-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Weather update for 8/31 in Durham:

Sat Aug 31
Partly Cloudy

86°

68°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
10%

Kimist
08-25-2013, 02:10 PM
TV does determine many tipoff times, often to the detriment of common sense. However, both of the Duke-Syracuse games this year are on Saturdays so I don't think many people will have to leave work early ;)

I still think it's a screwy time for a ball game, regardless of the day of the week. (And many people DO work on Saturdays! :p )

While the sports bars might enjoy a dinner-time boost, the "regular" restaurants likely will not see too many rabid Duke/'Cuse fans present on those dates.

k