PDA

View Full Version : Guard Workout with Wojo

Native
08-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Great video from DBP. Is it just me or does Thornton look way trimmer for this season?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqE9M3b4TQ

CLW
08-16-2013, 08:15 PM
He definitely looks to be in MUCH better shape. Who's blurred out?

TruBlu
08-17-2013, 06:00 AM

Someone in the Witness Protection Program? Based on body type, my guess is that it is not someone aka "Fats".

Billy Dat
08-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Lots of interesting stuff here...

-Even players at the highest level, and non big men, do the Mikan drill (alternating left and right handed layups under the hoop). It's great for conditioning and making the lay-up a muscle memory, non thinking shot. When you get in that close, it needs to be automatic.
-I loved watching them work on attacking a moving defense in a pick and roll situation. They used a garbage can and Wojo - the garbage can was the screener and Wojo was the defender and depending on how Wojo defended, they did different stuff - split the D, re-use the screener, etc. Kyrie could open up a school on how to attack defenses off of pick and roll.
-They were practing the "Euro-step" herky jerky finishing technique made most famous by Manu Ginobili. Lebron calls this the "crab step". It is a great move, but an automatic travel if not executed properly.
-Tyler does look lean, props to Coach Wojo who also looks lean.
-Nolan is rocking a bit of a fade.
-I love that the coaches now have more hours to work with these guys in the summer

gus
08-19-2013, 12:47 PM

Someone who didn't sign a release. My guess is a kid under 18.

roywhite
08-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Someone who didn't sign a release. My guess is a kid under 18.

Yeah, according to a poster on TDD, that's the high school son of Coach Will Stephens, who is on the Duke staff for Strength & Conditioning.

Dev11
08-19-2013, 01:44 PM
They were practicing the "Euro-step" herky jerky finishing technique made most famous by Manu Ginobili. Lebron calls this the "crab step". It is a great move, but an automatic travel if not executed properly.

Lebron's 'crab dribble' is a little different than the Euro step, but either way, it's just a travel (or at least, it should be a travel).

JNort
08-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Lebron's 'crab dribble' is a little different than the Euro step, but either way, it's just a travel (or at least, it should be a travel).

Why should the eurostep layup be a travel? It's two steps and shoot

Kedsy
08-20-2013, 01:59 AM

I think sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It often looks like guys doing the eurostep have already used their pivot before they take their two steps, and that would be a travel. If they haven't already used their pivot then it probably isn't a travel. Also, I have read quotes from scouts who believe that what is now accepted as a eurostep would have been called for a travel every time 20 years ago, for whatever that's worth.

Dev11
08-20-2013, 08:48 AM

No, I think that the proper Euro step is fine. I was referring only to Lebron's move, the crab travel.

Mcluhan
08-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Nice music on this one too.

*Really* hope Nolan solidifies his standing in the league this next year.

timmy c
08-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Nice music on this one too.

*Really* hope Nolan solidifies his standing in the league this next year.

Nolan will be working on his euro step in Croatia.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/former-duke-star-nolan-smith-to-play-in-croatia

I hope he dazzles and lands back in the league.

Mcluhan
08-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Nolan will be working on his euro step in Croatia.
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/former-duke-star-nolan-smith-to-play-in-croatia

I hope he dazzles and lands back in the league.

Yeah, and if not, I hope he loves Europe.

Somebody needs to make a good movie about an American playing ball in Europe.

Billy Dat
08-21-2013, 07:55 PM

"Love and Basketball"? There is a 10 minute sequence, of course, it's a female player.

Edouble
08-21-2013, 10:51 PM
"Love and Basketball"? There is a 10 minute sequence, of course, it's a female player.

He said a good movie.

SupaDave
08-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Yeah, and if not, I hope he loves Europe.

He said a good movie.

They did - it was called Dominique Wilkins' career. Or someone could always do a doc on Trajan.

Billy Dat
08-22-2013, 09:02 AM
He said a good movie.

Ouch! I agree that the movie was chock full of cliches, but I thought it was a net positive as Sanaa Lathan's performance was really good, and I liked that it depicted a player's growth from high school, to college, to European pro ball and, finally, to the WNBA.

There is a good documentary about Seb Telfair's jump from high school to the NBA called "Through the Fire"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Fire_(film)

At one point, he goes to visit his brother, Jamel Thomas (bad memories - 97 NCAA loss to Providence) who is playing in Greece. In an arena where cigarette smoke is seen collected at ceiling, Thomas banters with the opposing coach to, seriously, offer him a contract....a good indication of the survival instinct necessary to make it as a pro.