PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Heisman Trophy

Bob Green
08-15-2013, 03:50 PM
This is an enjoyable article on Roger Staubach and the 1963 Navy Midshipmen:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview13/story/_/id/9569964/roger-staubach-heisman-trophy-compliment-teammates-college-football

Of course, there is a Duke connection as the Midshipmen defeated Duke 38-25 on 11/16/63 in Duke Stadium. The article does contain a historical inaccuracy:

The Army-Navy game was being played later than normal that season, following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It was already an emotional time for the Midshipmen. Kennedy was a U.S. Naval Academy graduate and had planned on being at the game.

President Kennedy did not graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy but rather from Harvard in 1940. I believe everyone knows about his heroics while in command of PT 109 during World War II.

orrnot
08-15-2013, 10:25 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-football/preview13/story/_/id/9569964/roger-staubach-heisman-trophy-compliment-teammates-college-football

Of course, there is a Duke connection as the Midshipmen defeated Duke 38-25 on 11/16/63 in Duke Stadium.

Thanks for posting that.

Two more Duke-Staubach connections! Staubach's son Jeff played baseball for Duke. Also, Roger Staubach hit a three-pointer while playing as a ringer in the old-timers' game which used to precede the annual Men's Basketball Blue-White Scrimmage. I can't recall the year, but it must have been while Jeff was in school here. I wonder if there's a box score for that somewhere.

sagegrouse
08-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Of course, there is a Duke connection as the Midshipmen defeated Duke 38-25 on 11/16/63 in Duke Stadium.

I'll never forget that game. Duke, trailing 31-25, had Navy backed up on the seven-yard line, which in those days was usually fatal fo rthe offense. Two-way stud Mike Curtis of NFL fame was sitting on the bench rather than manning the middle linebacker position. Navy speedster Johnny Sai broke up the middle and outran everyone for a 93-yard TD.

It was one of only four home games we lost in my four years at Duke.

sagegrouse

Olympic Fan
08-16-2013, 10:53 AM
I'll never forget that game. Duke, trailing 31-25, had Navy backed up on the seven-yard line, which in those days was usually fatal fo rthe offense. Two-way stud Mike Curtis of NFL fame was sitting on the bench rather than manning the middle linebacker position. Navy speedster Johnny Sai broke up the middle and outran everyone for a 93-yard TD.

It was one of only four home games we lost in my four years at Duke.

sagegrouse

I was also at that game ... it was crazy in a lot of ways. The first half was an offense show. Staubach was dominant for the Middies, but Duke QB Scotty Glacken and All-American RB Jay Wilkinson were outstanding for Duke. At halftime, Navy led 31-25.

The second half was a totally different game. Duke dominated but couldn't score. Navy couldn't move at all -- Staubach was stymied. As I remember, the entire third quarter was played in Navy territory. The play sage mentioned was fairly early in the fourth quarter. I remember how it felt like a kick in the gut. Up until then, I was sure Duke was going to win.

I should mention that Navy was No. 2 in the nation that day.

Oh well, I was also there in 1960 when Duke upset No. 4 Navy and stopped their Heisman winner, RB Joe Bellino,

sagegrouse
08-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Oh well, I was also there in 1960 when Duke upset No. 4 Navy and stopped their Heisman winner, RB Joe Bellino,

Me, too. In fact, I got to personally return the Navy goat that we stole. -- sage