PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

johnb
08-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Schadenfreude is a great term (pleasure in the misfortune of others). When we go after Hairston or Johnny Football or whoever, we should be prepared for days like today when two adults with links to Duke get arrested (not necessarily convicted) for crimes that transcend NCAA violations. Yeah, neither of them had active ties to Duke, but one of them played for us and the other sent us his stepson. Just saying that we aren't immune to any of the mistakes that land people on both Sportscenter and in jail...

oldnavy
08-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Schadenfreude is a great term (pleasure in the misfortune of others). When we go after Hairston or Johnny Football or whoever, we should be prepared for days like today when two adults with links to Duke get arrested (not necessarily convicted) for crimes that transcend NCAA violations. Yeah, neither of them had active ties to Duke, but one of them played for us and the other sent us his stepson. Just saying that we aren't immune to any of the mistakes that land people on both Sportscenter and in jail...

I acutally find nothing pleasurable about PJ Hairston's actions. It is sad in many ways and I hope he can staighten himself out and live a very full and productive life.

I find nothing pleasurable about a public institution that cheats and betrays the public trust. I hope they are brought to justice.

Some may take pleasure in these events, but not me. And I would bet that most on this board realize that Duke is not immune to human error.

I do find it interesting to see the UNC nation duck, dodge and try to maintain that the "Carolina Way" is still intact.

alteran
08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I do find it interesting to see the UNC nation duck, dodge and try to maintain that the "Carolina Way" is still intact.

I'm surprised at how many have conceded the point, and moved on to "everybody does it."

oldnavy
08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm surprised at how many have conceded the point, and moved on to "everybody does it."

Yep, and those are the "rational" ones! They were so proud of how UNC was different, until they weren't... then it wasn't that big of a deal to begin with!

Tappan Zee Devil
08-13-2013, 08:03 PM
I acutally find nothing pleasurable about PJ Hairston's actions. It is sad in many ways and I hope he can staighten himself out and live a very full and productive life.

I find nothing pleasurable about a public institution that cheats and betrays the public trust. I hope they are brought to justice.

Some may take pleasure in these events, but not me. And I would bet that most on this board realize that Duke is not immune to human error.

What he said. It is nothing but sad.

Newton_14
08-13-2013, 09:43 PM

I hear what you are saying, but for me, this arrest is no reflection on Nolan Smith at all. Nolan has more than proved himself as a person on and off the court. I also don't believe Nolan's mom had any involvement in this either. She seems to have much higher character and morals than does Malone. I feel for Nolan, his mom, and his sister. What Malone did is awful, and I hope those three don't end up suffering for Malone's stupidity but that's unlikely.

Fish80
08-13-2013, 09:45 PM
With Steve Gray I remember a couple of strange plays. One play, he was in the backcourt, tried to pass across court, and hit the rim. Another play was a half court ally-oop that accidentally went in. Strange things. Funny what one remembers.