PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Excited about the Upcoming Football Season?!

peloton
08-11-2013, 08:54 PM
First, let me say that aside from the fact that we lost a very winnable game, I thoroughly enjoyed this past season's Belk Bowl in Charlotte. That was the first bowl game for both my 2 sons and I. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the fact that Duke was competitive pretty much right up until the end. Cincy played better in the waning mins when the game's outcome was still in doubt...they certainly earned the victory. Although it was a great experience, it goes without saying that we left the Queen City disappointed. But it was a huge step in the right direction for the program albeit a (bittersweet) taste of progress. But now that I've had a tantalizing morsel of progress I'm hungry...I'm ready for a bigger portion. I'm not being greedy as I realize that Duke football still has a long ways to go. But at the same time, I am truly Ozziemistic about the future of the program under one David Cutcliffe. By virtue of this post, it should be obvious that I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season and specifically, the home opener against our Bull City neighbors the NCCU Eagles. With the non conference schedule we have this year and considering who we play in the ACC, I'll be disappointed if we don't win at least 6 or 7 games. Although we lost Vernon, Renfree, Scott, and others to graduation, I'm of the opinion that we have some guys who should be able to step in and fill their shoes admirably. That remains to be seen but again, I'm pretty Ozziemistic in regard to the upcoming season (and seasons further down the road for that matter). I sure wish we could land some solid DL recruits though. Here's hoping that we have a large season opener crowd in Wallace Wade come Aug 31st...Duke football needs your support!

OldPhiKap
08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Time to start a preseason thread. Heck yeah, I am excited. With some good health and a good bounce or two, this could be a real breakthrough year. Go Cut, Go Duke!

DevilFalcon
08-12-2013, 12:54 AM
I think we are about to have an incredible season. I think we win 2 more games than last year, including a bowl.
Duke isn't all that far off from really competing in the ACC. A few more seasons and watch out!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-12-2013, 05:35 AM
I love your Ozziemistic attitude, peloton! Very much looking forward to August 31st! Let's go DUKE! GTHc! 9F!

brevity
08-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Anyone Else Excited about the Upcoming Football Season?!

I suppose there are other ways you could have made this statement...

Am I alone in anticipating the fall slate of gridiron action?
Have the rest of you prepared for the organized throwing of the pigskin?
Do others share my enthusiasm in witnessing the game between goalposts?
Will everyone look forward to the thrill of the Saturday autumnal sport on campuses nationwide?
Can the tackling rituals performed by opposing institutions induce goosebumps generally, or is my physiological reaction unique?

...or you could avoid paraphrasing altogether:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LLKO0-PAE

mkline09
08-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Its an exciting time to be a Duke Football fan. The program has grown leaps and bounds in Cutcliffe's tenure, and it still has a long ways to go but I think it is safe to say that the program is beyond futility and the days of winless season's appear to be a distant memory or rather nightmare.

Dev11
08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
I think it is safe to say that the program is beyond futility

Well, we could have said the same thing 6 years ago, but with a slightly different meaning of 'beyond.'

wilko
08-12-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm cautiously non-pessimistic..

Bob Green
08-12-2013, 06:20 PM
I've been excited since the Spring Game! Here are links to articles on Ross Cockrell and Kelby Brown:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/11/4229550/charlotte-latins-cockrell-leads.html

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x807785882/Dukes-Brown-feeling-good-again-on-the-field

The team's first scrimmage is tonight.

PDDuke85
08-13-2013, 11:05 AM
First, let me say that aside from the fact that we lost a very winnable game, I thoroughly enjoyed this past season's Belk Bowl in Charlotte. That was the first bowl game for both my 2 sons and I. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and the fact that Duke was competitive pretty much right up until the end. Cincy played better in the waning mins when the game's outcome was still in doubt...they certainly earned the victory. Although it was a great experience, it goes without saying that we left the Queen City disappointed. But it was a huge step in the right direction for the program albeit a (bittersweet) taste of progress. But now that I've had a tantalizing morsel of progress I'm hungry...I'm ready for a bigger portion. I'm not being greedy as I realize that Duke football still has a long ways to go. But at the same time, I am truly Ozziemistic about the future of the program under one David Cutcliffe. By virtue of this post, it should be obvious that I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season and specifically, the home opener against our Bull City neighbors the NCCU Eagles. With the non conference schedule we have this year and considering who we play in the ACC, I'll be disappointed if we don't win at least 6 or 7 games. Although we lost Vernon, Renfree, Scott, and others to graduation, I'm of the opinion that we have some guys who should be able to step in and fill their shoes admirably. That remains to be seen but again, I'm pretty Ozziemistic in regard to the upcoming season (and seasons further down the road for that matter). I sure wish we could land some solid DL recruits though. Here's hoping that we have a large season opener crowd in Wallace Wade come Aug 31st...Duke football needs your support!

Sort of related, kind of not....
Anyone receive their season tixs in the mail? (football)
Anxiously waiting for mine.

CameronBornAndBred
08-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Very much forward to both the games and the tailgates! I predict that we will have an overall winning season with at least 8 victories.
And I also predict that we will have some amazing menus produced on our new grill. :D

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Sort of related, kind of not....
Anyone receive their season tixs in the mail? (football)
Anxiously waiting for mine.
As of this morning, parking passes have not been delivered by the vendor. Last year parking passes went out with the tickets. There may be other factors contributing to the delay.

With the arrival of IMG to manage the Duke brand including tickets, the process of producing and delivering tickets has become more complex and delivery later.

peloton
08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Gameday is now upon us. While I certainly respect our crosstown opponent Duke needs to win this in convincing fashion to make a statement and set the tone for the rest of this new season. There's a very interesting side note and human interest story regarding the Eagles' kicker. If you haven't read the story that was in the N & O a couple of days or so ago, do yourself a favor and read it...fascinating story and great to see that the young man's life took a turn for the better several years ago. I wish the young man the best but in a few hours the Eagles and our Blue Devils will be battling for good old fashioned bragging rights. Let's go Duke!

matt1
08-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Gameday is now upon us. While I certainly respect our crosstown opponent Duke needs to win this in convincing fashion to make a statement and set the tone for the rest of this new season. There's a very interesting side note and human interest story regarding the Eagles' kicker. If you haven't read the story that was in the N & O a couple of days or so ago, do yourself a favor and read it...fascinating story and great to see that the young man's life took a turn for the better several years ago. I wish the young man the best but in a few hours the Eagles and our Blue Devils will be battling for good old fashioned bragging rights. Let's go Duke!

Letdowns can happen. Just look at Kansas St. tonight, but I am confident that Coach Cutcliffe will have us ready to play. Just over 15 hours to kickoff!

Reilly
08-31-2013, 06:17 AM
Happy Gameday Saturday!

moonpie23
08-31-2013, 09:52 AM
as a gamecock-devil-panther-broncos-wolfpack fan, i kinda am......

DevilWearsPrada
08-31-2013, 02:06 PM
Game Day, Game Face! Let's Go Duke!!!!!

Very excited about Duke Football! We have a great coach and staff! May our Team stay healthy this season!

It's a beautiful day for Duke Football!!!

OldPhiKap
08-31-2013, 03:35 PM

vick
08-31-2013, 11:52 PM
In describing Clemson's schedule, beyond the obvious games against FSU and South Carolina, Kirk Herbstreit said they will need to "look out for Duke." What a welcome change this is (ETA--of course they aren't on the schedule, so clearly he's penciling us into the championship game)!

OldPhiKap
08-31-2013, 11:59 PM
In describing Clemson's schedule, beyond the obvious games against FSU and South Carolina, Kirk Herbstreit said they will need to "look out for Duke." What a welcome change this is (ETA--of course they aren't on the schedule, so clearly he's penciling us into the championship game)!

Not sure that's how he meant it, but I'll take it!

Clemson looked pretty damn good.

devildeac
09-01-2013, 12:12 AM

You got a sweater on that dawg? In Georgia? In the summertime? Looking pretty darned good but I hope you rewarded him/her with a nice cool bowl of water and some doggie treats after that;).

OldPhiKap
09-01-2013, 12:16 AM
You got a sweater on that dawg? In Georgia? In the summertime? Looking pretty darned good but I hope you rewarded him/her with a nice cool bowl of water and some doggie treats after that;).

That was after she had been swimming in the pool (true). She was conflicted in the UGa/Clemson game, but ultimately decided to just lick herself clean and take a nap. A very principled resolution, I thought.

matt1
09-01-2013, 01:16 AM

I thought I heard him say that, but I was only paying 3/4 attention and knew that Clemson is not on our schedule, so I assumed that I misheard him.

Anyway, it is good to be getting more respect!

uh_no
09-01-2013, 01:48 AM
I thought I heard him say that, but I was only paying 3/4 attention and knew that Clemson is not on our schedule, so I assumed that I misheard him.

Anyway, it is good to be getting more respect!

they probably have no idea who in the ACC actually plays who else....heck they even got the rules wrong earlier in the game....

Indoor66
09-01-2013, 08:11 AM

You know that down there they all say "How 'bout them Dawgs!"

OldPhiKap
09-01-2013, 08:27 AM

Not this morning, I expect a lot of hanging heads and grumbling in church this morning.

devildeac
09-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Yep, we learned that when we lived in Augusta for 5 year and attended a home FB game in Athens. Quite the experience and atmosphere.

devildeac
09-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Not this morning, I expect a lot of hanging heads and grumbling in church this morning.

All our children have dawgs and we are frequently hired, err, volunteered as dogsitters so when the hounds are tired and missing their rightful owners/masters, we refer to it as doggie depression or despondency. I'll bet your description fits quite well for the Georgia fans this AM.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Yep, we learned that when we lived in Augusta for 5 year and attended a home FB game in Athens. Quite the experience and atmosphere.

All our children have dawgs and we are frequently hired, err, volunteered as dogsitters so when the hounds are tired and missing their rightful owners/masters, we refer to it as doggie depression or despondency. I'll bet your description fits quite well for the Georgia fans this AM.

Athens is a great place to see a game, as is Columbia/USC.

Is "dogspondency" a clinical condition, best treated with Scooby Snacks?

devildeac
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Athens is a great place to see a game, as is Columbia/USC.

Is "dogspondency" a clinical condition, best treated with Scooby Snacks?

Scooby Snacks or Pupperoni usually work well for doggie depression. What works even better is returning the canines to their rightful owners;). Never been to a game in Columbia, SC.