PDA

View Full Version : Elysium

accfanfrom1970
08-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Jason,

Your opinion of Elysium? Worth seeing, worth paying for Imax? Visually the previews make Imax look like a worthwhile investment. Trying to decide between 2 Guns and Elysium.....

JasonEvans
08-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Jason,

Your opinion of Elysium? Worth seeing, worth paying for Imax? Visually the previews make Imax look like a worthwhile investment. Trying to decide between 2 Guns and Elysium.....

I liked it... but.

Neil Blomkamp has so many interesting ideas, I think it pollutes this movie a bit too much. He would introduce something and then it would just become a small part of the plot. I felt like he had enough thought-provoking notions in this film to fill 3 quality sci-fi flicks. Instead, he crams them all into this movie and it sorta makes this one not all it could be.

I was bothered by the shaky camera action shooting. There were a number of times I simply could not tell what was going on because there was so much shaky camera stuff going on. That kind of thing is distracting and "took me out of the film." In a great sci-fi film, we get so immersed in the world, we don't really think about the fact that we are watching a movie. Blomkamp's shaky camera was so bad, I could never really immerse myself in the film. It also hurt that the second half of the film contains so much action that it felt like his cool plot had sorta been abandoned in favor of an action movie. It was almost like he started out making something like Prometheus with big ideas and then mid-way through he decided to make Riddick or The Expendables instead. Know what I mean? Plus, when the action really heats up, the plot sorta stops making sense. Everyone is pursuing this computer program but it is never entirely clear how some of the people would benefit from having the program. It is hard to explain if you have not seen the film.

Oh, and Jody Foster's accent is so bad I almost laughed out loud every time she spoke.

Still, he is a director with real statements to make and bunches of clever ideas. This is an ok sci-fi flick and I look forward to what Blomkamp comes up with next. There was talk about having him make a Star Trek film, though he has said he does not want the burden of a franchise. I tend to agree with that. Let him play in his own sandbox and see what he can create there.

-Jason "certainly not worth paying for IMAX, in my opinion" Evans

Tommac
08-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I saw Elysium today and enjoyed it. There were some holes for sure, but the story and the action kept my interest. Thought Matt Damon did a good job and didn't think Jody Foster was as bad as some say. Also found it interesting that the "bounty hunter" was the main character from District 9 from a few years ago, can't remember his name.

bjornolf
08-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I saw Elysium today and enjoyed it. There were some holes for sure, but the story and the action kept my interest. Thought Matt Damon did a good job and didn't think Jody Foster was as bad as some say. Also found it interesting that the "bounty hunter" was the main character from District 9 from a few years ago, can't remember his name.

Sharlto Copley or something like that?

cf-62
09-01-2013, 02:21 PM
I liked it... but.

Neil Blomkamp has so many interesting ideas, I think it pollutes this movie a bit too much. He would introduce something and then it would just become a small part of the plot. I felt like he had enough thought-provoking notions in this film to fill 3 quality sci-fi flicks. Instead, he crams them all into this movie and it sorta makes this one not all it could be.

I was bothered by the shaky camera action shooting. There were a number of times I simply could not tell what was going on because there was so much shaky camera stuff going on. That kind of thing is distracting and "took me out of the film." In a great sci-fi film, we get so immersed in the world, we don't really think about the fact that we are watching a movie. Blomkamp's shaky camera was so bad, I could never really immerse myself in the film. It also hurt that the second half of the film contains so much action that it felt like his cool plot had sorta been abandoned in favor of an action movie. It was almost like he started out making something like Prometheus with big ideas and then mid-way through he decided to make Riddick or The Expendables instead. Know what I mean? Plus, when the action really heats up, the plot sorta stops making sense. Everyone is pursuing this computer program but it is never entirely clear how some of the people would benefit from having the program. It is hard to explain if you have not seen the film.

Oh, and Jody Foster's accent is so bad I almost laughed out loud every time she spoke.

Still, he is a director with real statements to make and bunches of clever ideas. This is an ok sci-fi flick and I look forward to what Blomkamp comes up with next. There was talk about having him make a Star Trek film, though he has said he does not want the burden of a franchise. I tend to agree with that. Let him play in his own sandbox and see what he can create there.

-Jason "certainly not worth paying for IMAX, in my opinion" Evans

As Jason knows, I've never walked out of a movie, and it doesn't take much for me to enjoy it. With hindsight, I wish I had left the first time I thought the movie was going sideways, 2 minutes in. This thing just never got -- any -- better. It was a trainwreck from the start, and it didn't get better as the action heated up. I honestly feel like asking for a refund, it was that bad. How can you take 2 incredible actors, another that deserves the accolades he received for District Nine, put them together and get a complete waste of time? Well, that would be Elysium.

Blech blech blech!!

I wouldn't even waste the hour and a half to watch this on HBO when it gets there.