PDA

View Full Version : Shabazz kicked out from the Rookie Transition Program

FerryFor50
08-07-2013, 03:17 PM
http://nba.si.com/2013/08/07/shabazz-muhammad-sent-home-rookie-transition-program-minnesota-timberwolves/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

Not exactly Michael Beasley territory (who was kicked out for weed), but still, if you're the Wolves GM, you have to be a little concerned, considering the character baggage he had in college.

uh_no
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
http://nba.si.com/2013/08/07/shabazz-muhammad-sent-home-rookie-transition-program-minnesota-timberwolves/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

Not exactly Michael Beasley territory (who was kicked out for weed), but still, if you're the Wolves GM, you have to be a little concerned, considering the character baggage he had in college.

he had a girl in his room? what is this? high school?

wow, bad on him for not following the rules, but is this a boy scout camping trip or something? The guy is in his 20's....

FerryFor50
08-07-2013, 03:28 PM
he had a girl in his room? what is this? high school?

wow, bad on him for not following the rules, but is this a boy scout camping trip or something? The guy is in his 20's....

Yea, silly rule. But still a rule. I mean, you can't hold off on the girls for a week?

Edouble
08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Yea, silly rule. But still a rule. I mean, you can't hold off on the girls for a week?

Depends on the girl.

Billy Dat
08-07-2013, 03:56 PM

I think it's silly on the surface, but if the rule didn't exist, the place would be crawling with groupies which would sort of send the wrong message as a big part of the curriculum is trying to school them to avoid groupies taking advantage of them.

As for Shabazz, it's just another piece of evidence that he is immature. He's told to not have women in his room, and he gets caught, hours later, with a woman in his room. PJ Hairston gets into well documented trouble, and then gets caught driving 90+ mph. These incidents say a lot about the people involved, not the least of which is that they don't seem to consider how their actions reflect a lack of respect for their craft and a lack of self control.

To me, the best part is that the send him home and make him come back for the same program the next year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Depends on the girl.

/snicker snicker...

Truly though, it's not dissimilar to PJ Hairston's issues. Not a major transgression, obviously... but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me over and over again, and I start to wonder why you are on my team.

Reilly
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
I think it's silly on the surface, but if the rule didn't exist, the place would be crawling with groupies which would sort of send the wrong message as a big part of the curriculum is trying to school them to avoid groupies taking advantage of them. ...

Coach Cut says you need to practice at game speed. So, there should be groupies everywhere, folks offering to sell them jewelry, and bring in all their cousins and distant relatives asking for cash.

Billy Dat
08-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Coach Cut says you need to practice at game speed. So, there should be groupies everywhere, folks offering to sell them jewelry, and bring in all their cousins and distant relatives asking for cash.

Reilly, you've got the right idea here....let's keep it going...

Once the groupies have descended, the players' steady ladies should be brought into town, unexpectedly, to see how well they can juggle the potentially incendiary situation. There should also be dozens of swindlers pitching record label, nightclub and film/tv production investments.

subzero02
08-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Reilly, you've got the right idea here....let's keep it going...

Once the groupies have descended, the players' steady ladies should be brought into town, unexpectedly, to see how well they can juggle the potentially incendiary situation. There should also be dozens of swindlers pitching record label, nightclub and film/tv production investments.

I heard the third day of the symposium includes a workshop titled " How to form a music label in 5 easy steps".

OldPhiKap
08-07-2013, 07:38 PM
1. Collect underpants.

2. ????????

3. Make money.

lotusland
08-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Coach Cut says you need to practice at game speed. So, there should be groupies everywhere, folks offering to sell them jewelry, and bring in all their cousins and distant relatives asking for cash. I don't know about groupies but when I lived in Charlotte the Hornet players needed a lot of stamina in order to play the day after closing down the "Gentlemen's Clubs" the night before. I heard that second hand of course as I did not frequent those establishments. The Panthers, on the other hand, had to dodge bullets and eliminate their pregnant "girlfriends" to avoid child support payments. There's a lot for a rookie to earn. They should hire some wise former players like Anthony Mason and Derrick Coleman to show them the ropes.

ncexnyc
08-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Maybe it’s just me being a grumpy old man, but what’s with this trend where everyone says, “These rules are dumb”, or , “It’s no big deal, nobody got hurt,” when someone breaks a rule.

Rules exist for a reason and when you sign on for something whether it be a scholarship, job, or whatever you know the rules prior to accepting the perks that come with said position.

If you don’t like the rules, don’t accept the position.

TruBlu
08-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Maybe it’s just me being a grumpy old man, but what’s with this trend where everyone says, “These rules are dumb”, or , “It’s no big deal, nobody got hurt,” when someone breaks a rule.

Rules exist for a reason and when you sign on for something whether it be a scholarship, job, or whatever you know the rules prior to accepting the perks that come with said position.

Did you mean for this to have a double meaning, or do I just have a sick, sick mind?

Never mind. I'm afraid I know the answer.

Newton_14
08-07-2013, 08:49 PM

I going to agree with you on this one. Get off our lawn kids!!

Seriously though, ncexnyc is right. Does not matter if the rule seems silly or if the act seems benign. The camp has a rule of no women in the room. So follow the dang rule. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's one week. Show some freaking self control. It's not summer camp at 15 yrs of age. It's the NBA and a camp designed to help you learn about the many things in NBA life that can derail your career. If you can't man up for one week, show that you are mature enough to navigate the week like a responsible adult, then maybe you are not ready to play an 82 game schedule in multiple cities and manage the amount of money that will be going into your bank account.

Maybe you needed another year or two in college to mature and learn how to conduct yourself as a grown man.

Reilly
08-07-2013, 09:03 PM
1. Collect underpants.

2. ????????

3. Make money.

????? = work on cross-over(?) ... or maybe get a tattoo(?)

FerryFor50
08-07-2013, 10:19 PM
????? = work on cross-over(?) ... or maybe get a tattoo(?)

4. Get paid for signing autographs without worrying about getting in trouble.

gep
08-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Seriously though, ncexnyc is right. Does not matter if the rule seems silly or if the act seems benign. The camp has a rule of no women in the room. So follow the dang rule. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's one week. Show some freaking self control. It's not summer camp at 15 yrs of age. It's the NBA and a camp designed to help you learn about the many things in NBA life that can derail your career. If you can't man up for one week, show that you are mature enough to navigate the week like a responsible adult, then maybe you are not ready to play an 82 game schedule in multiple cities and manage the amount of money that will be going into your bank account.

Maybe you needed another year or two in college to mature and learn how to conduct yourself as a grown man.

Ironic... isn't the camp supposed to stress that rules are rules? And proper behavior is proper behavior? These guys need life lessons first...

superdave
08-08-2013, 01:17 PM
The guy is in his 20's....

Do we know his age for sure? He could be in his 30s. Only his father truly knows.

Super "Remember when we wished Bazz would come to Duke?" Dave

CrazyNotCrazie
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
After spending a year on the UCLA campus, I'm sure the women of Florham Park, NJ were too much for him to resist...

OldPhiKap
08-08-2013, 01:34 PM
After spending a year on the UCLA campus, I'm sure the women of Florham Park, NJ were too much for him to resist...

Well, it DOES also include the greater Morris County statistical area.

BD80
08-08-2013, 02:02 PM

Well, he could have been thinking these were his last days of civilization, before heading up to Minnysoda don't ja know.

CrazyNotCrazie
08-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, it DOES also include the greater Morris County statistical area.

I hope he at least took her to the best roller skating rink in northern NJ, unless he was worried that the Jets would be hanging out there too...

FerryFor50
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/10/timberwolves-flip-saunders-shabazz-muhammad-developmental-league/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

heh.

BD80
08-10-2013, 05:10 PM
http://tracking.si.com/2013/08/10/timberwolves-flip-saunders-shabazz-muhammad-developmental-league/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

heh.

"... he’s either gonna learn the rules and learn to abide by things with the big boys or he’s gonna really quick learn a geography class: where Des Moines is in the NBDL down in Iowa.”

And he still has yet to learn where Minnesota is!

Those bright lights of New Jersey are but a distant memory ...

subzero02
08-10-2013, 05:15 PM
For some reason I think the NBDL is a hollow threat... I can't recall a player being sent down for disciplinary reasons but I am sure it has happened before

Henderson
08-10-2013, 06:37 PM
An NBA beat writer friend of mine was talking with a star NBA player about women on the road, many of whom stake out players' hotels. The NBA player said this:

"Imagine you're in your 20s, are thousands of miles from home and just landed in a city you don't know. An attractive young woman approaches you in the lobby or elevator and says, 'Let's go upstairs. What would YOU do?"

Part of the NBA rookie program is helping rookies prepare themselves for that, after which they can make their own decisions. Shabazz wasn't ready to listen. So see ya. It's like texting the devil to hook up, but doing it from a confessional.

SupaDave
08-10-2013, 08:43 PM
An NBA beat writer friend of mine was talking with a star NBA player about women on the road, many of whom stake out players' hotels. The NBA player said this:

"Imagine you're in your 20s, are thousands of miles from home and just landed in a city you don't know. An attractive young woman approaches you in the lobby or elevator and says, 'Let's go upstairs. What would YOU do?"

I've been in a very well known NBA player's house just chilling in the kitchen - minding my damn business making a sandwich, only to have the beejezzus scared out of me by a stripper who we had just seen at the strip club walk into the house (past the security guard, past the home alarm). I seriously couldn't believe my eyes. She knew where she was. Walked right to his room. I ate my sandwich and went back to crushing chumps on the NBA video game on the full wall TV - but I was still like - WTF just happened?

It's coming at you from all directions man - and it's crafty.