PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Champions Classic

ChicagoCrazy84
08-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I know we're still 3 months out and we have football to still gear up for, but is anybody else as pumped about the beginning of the year and the Champions Classic as I am? It is very conceivable that it will be a preview of the Final Four...

We'll have Parker vs. Wiggins and then Appling, Harris, and Payne vs. The Kentucky Freshmen. There's quite a few storylines already for it and to start the season with it is pretty cool. As a Chicagoan myself, I'm pretty excited to have it going on at the United Center.

Does anyone know if you can get tickets for it through Iron Dukes or something?

matt1
08-04-2013, 01:07 PM
The Champions Classic will be great this year. I really hope that the four schools renew it for another three-year cycle. By the way, we have clinched the "title", as even a loss to KU would put us 2-1 along with the winner of MSU/UK, two teams we beat (and would have the "tiebreaker" over).

I wish that they would have brought it to Philadelphia one of these three years!

Newton_14
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I know we're still 3 months out and we have football to still gear up for, but is anybody else as pumped about the beginning of the year and the Champions Classic as I am? It is very conceivable that it will be a preview of the Final Four...

We'll have Parker vs. Wiggins and then Appling, Harris, and Payne vs. The Kentucky Freshmen. There's quite a few storylines already for it and to start the season with it is pretty cool. As a Chicagoan myself, I'm pretty excited to have it going on at the United Center.

Does anyone know if you can get tickets for it through Iron Dukes or something?

The Iron Dukes will offer tickets. Last year they were $90 each for the Duke Section. If I remember correctly they went on sale sometime in Sept or Oct.

Olympic Fan
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
The Champions Classic will be great this year. I really hope that the four schools renew it for another three-year cycle. By the way, we have clinched the "title", as even a loss to KU would put us 2-1 along with the winner of MSU/UK, two teams we beat (and would have the "tiebreaker" over).

I wish that they would have brought it to Philadelphia one of these three years!

Is that possible? My understanding is that when this three-year cycle is over, they will sign up four new teams and do another cycle.

I have some UNC friends who are convinced they will replace Duke in the next Champions Classic.

Duvall
08-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Is that possible? My understanding is that when this three-year cycle is over, they will sign up four new teams and do another cycle.

I have some UNC friends who are convinced they will replace Duke in the next Champions Classic.

Shouldn't UNC have won some championships during the last three years to qualify for this event? Why them and not, say, Louisville?

ChicagoCrazy84
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM

Yeah, 2013 is the end of the 3 year cycle for these teams. Who knows who will be next, but both Louisville and UNC would be pretty good guesses honestly. Ohio State, Michigan, and Arizona come to mind as well.

It should be a pretty good ending to the first 3 year cycle. Both games should be phenomenal...

subzero02
08-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Shouldn't UNC have won some championships during the last three years to qualify for this event? Why them and not, say, Louisville?

A lack of recent national championships didn't keep michigan state out of the current group...

Duvall
08-04-2013, 04:24 PM
A lack of recent national championships didn't keep michigan state out of the current group...

Yes, but Michigan State had won Big Ten championships and gone to the Final Four in two seasons before that group was named. UNC hasn't won a conference, regional or national championship since 2009.

TruBlu
08-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes, but Michigan State had won Big Ten championships and gone to the Final Four in two seasons before that group was named. UNC hasn't won a conference, regional or national championship since 2009.

Thanks for reminding me of the above fact.

Let's hope we can say that about UNC next year . . . and the next year . . . and the next year . . . etc.

Duvall
08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah, 2013 is the end of the 3 year cycle for these teams. Who knows who will be next, but both Louisville and UNC would be pretty good guesses honestly. Ohio State, Michigan, and Arizona come to mind as well.

It should be a pretty good ending to the first 3 year cycle. Both games should be phenomenal...

If this event keeps going (and I hope it does), Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, UCLA and Florida seem like a possible longlist for future cycles. I assume that they wouldn't ever want two teams from the same league.

subzero02
08-04-2013, 06:44 PM

I'm sure they've won multiple Helms championships in that time period though. ;-)

flyingdutchdevil
08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
If this event keeps going (and I hope it does), Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, UCLA and Florida seem like a possible longlist for future cycles. I assume that they wouldn't ever want two teams from the same league.

Wow. If you compare the list of teams you listed with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Mich St, it's a little depressing. The current four teams (Mich St can be debated) are so much better than the other teams. Those four teams did basketball a great service by signing on first (and I assume that they were approached first as well).

Dev11
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
If I recall, four of the major Indiana teams (IU, Purdue, ND, and Butler - boy did they get lucky with the timing of this) have their own version of the Champions Classic, so if that contract continues on, I doubt any of them would sign up for this.

Cameron
08-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else here, but it appears that the Champions Classic has been renewed with its current four-team roster for another three years, with a possible new location for the event during its second cycle being Indianapolis. Great for Midwesterners like me.

Here's a very basic link -- without much detail -- from a Kansas site at least confirming unofficially the renewal.

http://www.teamleaks.com/Kansas-Jayhawks/ku-staying-in-soontoberenewed-champions-classic/

Sorry, UNC. Maybe if you had worked a little harder.

gumbomoop
08-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else here, but it appears that the Champions Classic has been renewed with its current four-team roster for another three years, with a possible new location for the event during its second cycle being Indianapolis. Great for Midwesterners like me.

Here's a very basic link -- without much detail -- from a Kansas site at least confirming unofficially the renewal.

http://www.teamleaks.com/Kansas-Jayhawks/ku-staying-in-soontoberenewed-champions-classic/

Sorry, UNC. Maybe if you had worked a little harder.

I'm very surprised by this, assuming it's accurate. I guess the organizers' rationale must include the assumption that these 4 programs will continue to be preseason top 10, and even likely top 5-6, for next 3 years. That assumption further assumes that these programs will continue to recruit very well.

Seems Heels would come close to fitting those criteria, too, but not close enough. Or maybe there just aren't three other programs with which the almost-but-not-quite-there Heels could be paired to get the same punch as from the current "Champions."

I'm still surprised, close to shocked. But pleased, no end.

Cameron
08-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Agreed, gumbomoop. I was pleasantly surprised also.

In case it's not obvious -- it wasn't to me at first glance -- there is link within my original link with more detailed information regarding the apparent renewal. Tom Izzo is quoted in the article, so it sounds as if the deal is a done one.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/aug/11/ku-staying-soon-be-renewed-champions-classic/

gumbomoop
08-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Just nosing around re the Classic, and ran across this ironically lovely little bit of old business. First post. You'll enjoy it, I promise.

As to "Who's in?" - well, not everybody, and especially not the most important guy.

http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/MSU-vs-Kentucky-2013-Champions-Classic-in-Chicago--13985964/1

Dukehky
08-13-2013, 06:23 PM
I get the Carolina hate about the CC, and perpetuate most of the it, but come on, they're a better program than Michigan State by a substantial margin IMO. Of course they can't play in it with Duke in it, and because of the UNC/UK home and home series it didn't make sense to invite UNC to the original Classic groupings. Carolina has just as much of a national following as any of the other schools.

I agree that there aren't 3 other schools that fit the profile of KU, UK, Duke, and MSU, so it'd be a real step back to bring in another four schools, unfortunately for the Heels that probably keeps them out. I'd definitely say that the premiere programs in the country are Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC and Michigan State is as good a school to throw in there as any. No off the court issues like most of the big east schools in the running for that classification like UCONN (Cuse and GTOWN are solid but what have you done for me lately). UL is making a strong case though, that Pitino dude can coach.

Note: UCLA isn't in the discussion anymore as far as I'm concerned for top programs. They draw little national attention and haven't won a ship since 95, granted that run of final fours was really solid.

Duvall
08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I get the Carolina hate about the CC, and perpetuate most of the it, but come on, they're a better program than Michigan State by a substantial margin IMO. Of course they can't play in it with Duke in it, and because of the UNC/UK home and home series it didn't make sense to invite UNC to the original Classic groupings. Carolina has just as much of a national following as any of the other schools.

I agree that there aren't 3 other schools that fit the profile of KU, UK, Duke, and MSU, so it'd be a real step back to bring in another four schools, unfortunately for the Heels that probably keeps them out. I'd definitely say that the premiere programs in the country are Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UNC and Michigan State is as good a school to throw in there as any. No off the court issues like most of the big east schools.

What's the argument for UNC over Louisville, based on recent on-court performance?

Dukehky
08-13-2013, 08:37 PM
What's the argument for UNC over Louisville, based on recent on-court performance?

Louisville hit the same hot spot that carolina did twice in 05 and 09. A team full of dynamic upper classmen with very talented freshmen and sophomores. You're going to tell me that because of a 3 year separation that Louisville is a better program since 08? Carolina made two straight final fours and won a national championship too. Also, if it weren't for numerous key injuries UNC last year (Strickland, LMAC, Strickland, even Henson wasn't healthy), we're probably talking about a whole new dynamic in college basketball as a whole. Carolina typically recruits better than Louisville, Carolina guys have more success in the NBA and they have more national championships in the past decade. They're a better program. But if you want to say that Louisville is a better program than Carolina because they won a chip this past year then fine. Carolina was a better team than Louisville in 2012 as well.

I kinda want to go throw up after that Carolina love fest listed above, but I like the ACC and building Carolina up makes it all the better when Duke beats them. They are a top 4 college basketball program with Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke. Those four schools rotating as the best during given stretches of time. As far as I'm concerned those 4 programs are pretty far ahead of every body else since since the UCLA dynasty.