PDA

View Full Version : Good Luke Winn article on transfer facts

FerryFor50
08-01-2013, 09:12 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130801/college-basketball-transfer-study/?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp

Helps debunk some of the myths about transfers and analyzes who transfers more.

Most interesting to me:

4. That 34.3 percent transfer rate shouldn't be considered abnormal ...

... because a recent study by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center showed that 32.6 percent of all full-time college students transfer. Are college students as a whole transferring too much for their own good? Maybe. But are basketball players transferring far more than non-athletes? That's a definite no.

subzero02
08-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I thought this factoid was very interesting... Volatility is success's kryptonite

the average annual rate of turnover in the Division I coaching ranks was 13.5 percent

pfrduke
08-02-2013, 12:37 PM
There was an article about ACC transfers not too long ago showing that over the last 4 seasons (I believe - has to be post-Elliott Williams) Duke has the fewest transfers of any ACC school with 2 (Czyz, Gbinije). During the same period, Wake and one of the Virginia schools (I think UVA) leads the pack with 9.

Olympic Fan
08-02-2013, 01:02 PM
There was an article about ACC transfers not too long ago showing that over the last 4 seasons (I believe - has to be post-Elliott Williams) Duke has the fewest transfers of any ACC school with 2 (Czyz, Gbinije). During the same period, Wake and one of the Virginia schools (I think UVA) leads the pack with 9.

The article was in the ACC Sports Journal about a month ago and you are right about the findings -- Duke was last in the ACC with just two transfers over the last four years ... Wake and Virginia led the pack (as opposed to the Pack, which was in the middle of the pack).

I will admit that the four-year timetable was favorable to Duke. Do it slightly longer and I think Duke moves up the list -- not anywhere near the top, but not the least transfers.

loran16
08-02-2013, 02:38 PM
The article was in the ACC Sports Journal about a month ago and you are right about the findings -- Duke was last in the ACC with just two transfers over the last four years ... Wake and Virginia led the pack (as opposed to the Pack, which was in the middle of the pack).

I will admit that the four-year timetable was favorable to Duke. Do it slightly longer and I think Duke moves up the list -- not anywhere near the top, but not the least transfers.

We think of ourselves as having 1 transfer a year. But for a lot of schools, that's really not that much. And we don't have 1 per year.

Granted, it depends upon recruiting class. Some have 0 (Scheyer, Henderson, Zoubek, Lance Thomas), while others have more (Boateng and Boykins from the year prior)