PDA

View Full Version : A tough break for JD and Stanford

JasonEvans
07-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Senior F Andy Brown has torn his ACL (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22888335/stanford-senior-andy-browns-career-ends-due-to-fourth-acl-tear)... for the 4th time. His career is over.

-Jason "the Cardinal still have a TON of senior leadership, but it is sad for a kid to have his career be derailed by injury like this" Evans

JohnGalt
07-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Senior F Andy Brown has torn his ACL (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22888335/stanford-senior-andy-browns-career-ends-due-to-fourth-acl-tear)... for the 4th time. His career is over.

-Jason "the Cardinal still have a TON of senior leadership, but it is sad for a kid to have his career be derailed by injury like this" Evans

That's awful...feel terrible for the kid.

I remember my athletic trainer in college telling me that the sophistication of modern medicine has made reconstructive ACL surgeries relatively routine and that assuming the individual rehabs aggressively the knee should end up being 110% of the original...she also mentioned that if it's torn again, especially relatively soon after the procedure that it's generally indicative of a less than par operation. Obviously there are exceptions and Andy Brown appears to be one.

I'm far from a doctor and curious to know if anyone has any opinions on that. Some people are just physiologically put together poorly I suppose.

Either way, wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. A Stanford degree should help with that.

JasonEvans
07-28-2013, 04:32 PM
This whole story reminds me a bit of Robbie Hummel, though obviously Hummel was/is a far better player. I always felt sorry for Hummel that he never earned big NBA bucks, though I guess it was never assured that he would even before his crippling ACL injuries.

-Jason "Hummel played in Spain last season and is trying to get back into the NBA this year" Evans

-bdbd
07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
This truly is a "make or break" year for JD at Stanford. It wasn't 100% certain that he'd even be back again immediately following their final game this past Sping. I sure hope he doesn't face many more "tough breaks" like this one. He does have a lot of upper-classman experience on this squad, and one would think things should go well for the Cardinal this year. But if it doesn't, Johnny is probably looking for another gig. Best of luck to him - one of the really GOOD guys in CBB.

JasonEvans
07-29-2013, 06:18 PM
This truly is a "make or break" year for JD at Stanford. It wasn't 100% certain that he'd even be back again immediately following their final game this past Sping. I sure hope he doesn't face many more "tough breaks" like this one. He does have a lot of upper-classman experience on this squad, and one would think things should go well for the Cardinal this year. But if it doesn't, Johnny is probably looking for another gig. Best of luck to him - one of the really GOOD guys in CBB.

I agree that this is his season to prove he can do it. But, I worry a bit that his squad is so loaded with seniors that even if he does well this year (he almost certainly needs to make the NCAA tourney and perhaps even win a game there), he is set up for another down season next year when he loses so many talented players. He needs to turn it around in recruiting to really make his tenure last at Stanford.

-Jason "no one is rooting harder for JD than I am!" Evans