PDA

View Full Version : Final Four Tickets

nmduke2001
07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
My brother is a Dallas Cowboys season ticket holder. He just got an email offering tickets to the 2014 Final Four. The tickets are on the fourth deck at Cowboys stadium. I've been to the stadium and I'm not sure that watching a game from that distance is worth the $190 price even if Duke happens to get there. Anyone go to one of these games in a huge stadium? How was it?

I have never been to a Final Four, so that may be the deciding factor for me.

I appreciate any feedback.

Bluedog
07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
My brother is a Dallas Cowboys season ticket holder. He just got an email offering tickets to the 2014 Final Four. The tickets are on the fourth deck at Cowboys stadium. I've been to the stadium and I'm not sure that watching a game from that distance is worth the $190 price even if Duke happens to get there. Anyone go to one of these games in a huge stadium? How was it?

I went to the Final Four in the highest level, mid-court at Lucas Oil in Indy in 2010. Watched a lot of the championship game through binoculars, which provided a great closeup of the action. Overall, it was a great experience and atmosphere; I am extremely glad I went. I could see some not being so fond of being so far away, though - it's not a game in Cameron, that's for sure. Cowboys stadium might be even bigger too. If it's like the Michigan Elite 8 game this year with 75% of the stadium empty and the game being a blowout, I could see people not wanting to go back. But it's obviously worth it if Duke wins!

hurleyfor3
07-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I sat in Duke's allocation in 2010. I got to walk around the stadium before the Butler game, and anything above the 200 level was FAR away. Wouldn't have been worth it. That said, I'm somewhat of a snob when it comes to attending sporting events.

If they're sending out emails offering tickets for an event that is typically way oversubscribed, that should tell you something about the attractiveness and expected demand for those seats.

mdj
07-24-2013, 12:38 PM

Sat upper level in Tampa in '99 and Minneapolis in '01. '01 was great '99 I remember thinking the far off seats made it not worth it. If you're within driving distance and can make last minute travel plans definitely get the tix if Duke isn't there you'll most likely be able to sell them for face and if they are there you should go. Based on my experience you'll have a lot more fun if Duke wins. If Duke is able to come back from 22 down to knock off Maryland in the semis i can almost guarantee you'll enjoy the experience regardless of where your seats are.

ricks68
07-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Go. I have been to a number of FF's. The experience of just being there is worth the cost---especially if Duke is there. The hardest thing is the travel and room procurement. Sounds like you will have that under control, so do it. Don't even hesitate.

Now, if you are concerned about location and ticket cost, just show up and wait for the end of the first game and catch the losing fans coming out the gate. Some will just give you their tickets for the finals. That's a guaranteed can't miss. Then you can still participate in most of the atmosphere surrounding the FF, although the anticipation of all the fans and the atmosphere of the semi-finals and those actual games are very exciting, and also shouldn't be missed.

ricks

rasputin
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
I was in the very top row of the Metrodome in '01. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

brevity
07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Regardless of sight lines, distance, or price, you may just want to go to a Final Four while they still exist. If big conferences secede from the NCAA, then the college basketball postseason will never be the same. Duke should and will be in a national semifinal, but it probably won't be called the Final Four.

nmduke2001
07-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to order them.

If Duke makes it, I'll hop in the car Saturday morning to get there in time for the Saturday evening game. It's about an eight hour drive for me. Maybe southwest will have a last minute $100 flight I can take.

I've seen many games in Cameron, my fair share in the Pit (including some great NCAA games), even seen Duke in Maui; but this could be my first basketball game in a huge stadium. Should be interesting.

btw, if you ever have the chance to see the Maui invite, do it. The access to players and the tiny gym makes for an incredible experience.

Kedsy
07-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Go. I have been to a number of FF's. The experience of just being there is worth the cost---especially if Duke is there. The hardest thing is the travel and room procurement. Sounds like you will have that under control, so do it. Don't even hesitate.

I agree. I've been to 20+ FFs, including several in the upper level of big stadiums. If you've never been, the atmosphere and hoopla are lots of fun.

Now, if you are concerned about location and ticket cost, just show up and wait for the end of the first game and catch the losing fans coming out the gate. Some will just give you their tickets for the finals. That's a guaranteed can't miss.

I don't think this works quite the same way any more. Based on the last several NCAA events I've attended, if fans get their tix from the schools, they probably can't sell/give away their tickets if their team loses. It might still work for people who get their tickets from the NCAA lottery, but those people are much less likely to go home after the Saturday games.

That said, if you're there it's usually pretty easy to scalp upper level tickets at reasonable prices, probably less than face value. The closer to game time you wait, the lower the ticket prices. Lower level tickets are still going to cost you, though, no matter when you buy them.

77devil
07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Now, if you are concerned about location and ticket cost, just show up and wait for the end of the first game and catch the losing fans coming out the gate. Some will just give you their tickets for the finals. That's a guaranteed can't miss. Then you can still participate in most of the atmosphere surrounding the FF, although the anticipation of all the fans and the atmosphere of the semi-finals and those actual games are very exciting, and also shouldn't be missed.
ricks

I don't think this works quite the same way any more. Based on the last several NCAA events I've attended, if fans get their tix from the schools, they probably can't sell/give away their tickets if their team loses. It might still work for people who get their tickets from the NCAA lottery, but those people are much less likely to go home after the Saturday games.

It worked just fine in Indianapolis. I picked up two very good lower lever seats for other family members. The key is approaching fans of the losing teams before they leave the arena; and be discreet.

Kedsy
07-24-2013, 10:57 PM
It worked just fine in Indianapolis. I picked up two very good lower lever seats for other family members. The key is approaching fans of the losing teams before they leave the arena; and be discreet.

You mean in 2010? They hadn't changed it yet. I believe the way they give out tickets changed in 2012.

Bluedog
07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
You mean in 2010? They hadn't changed it yet. I believe the way they give out tickets changed in 2012.

Interesting, what is the new method? I got an MSU booster's ticket for the Elite 8 game this year after they lost (definitely in their allotted section), but maybe it's different in the Final Four.

Kedsy
07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Interesting, what is the new method? I got an MSU booster's ticket for the Elite 8 game this year after they lost (definitely in their allotted section), but maybe it's different in the Final Four.

I haven't been to a basketball Final Four since the new policy came into force, but for both the first weekend NCAAT games this season AND the Lacrosse Final Four, the tickets from the schools had to be picked up at Will Call both days. If your team lost in the early part of the round, you were not entitled to a ticket in the later part of the round (e.g., if you lose on Saturday, you don't have a ticket for Monday). I assume this was done for at least two reasons: (a) this way the NCAA has more tickets to sell in the later game; and (b) it reduces the scalping market by eliminating the fans of the losing teams as sellers. If your ticket came from MSU, I'm surprised it worked for the game after they lost. That clearly was not the case for, e.g., Georgetown tickets at the first/second round games in Philadelphia, and it wasn't the case for, e.g., people holding Cornell tickets at the Lacrosse Final Four.

As I said earlier, I don't know how they're working it for FF tix sold in the lottery. Presumably you get a full book for both days, but I'd also guess most people who buy tickets nine months in advance are planning to attend both days no matter who wins.

ricks68
07-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I haven't been to a basketball Final Four since the new policy came into force, but for both the first weekend NCAAT games this season AND the Lacrosse Final Four, the tickets from the schools had to be picked up at Will Call both days. If your team lost in the early part of the round, you were not entitled to a ticket in the later part of the round (e.g., if you lose on Saturday, you don't have a ticket for Monday). I assume this was done for at least two reasons: (a) this way the NCAA has more tickets to sell in the later game; and (b) it reduces the scalping market by eliminating the fans of the losing teams as sellers. If your ticket came from MSU, I'm surprised it worked for the game after they lost. That clearly was not the case for, e.g., Georgetown tickets at the first/second round games in Philadelphia, and it wasn't the case for, e.g., people holding Cornell tickets at the Lacrosse Final Four.

As I said earlier, I don't know how they're working it for FF tix sold in the lottery. Presumably you get a full book for both days, but I'd also guess most people who buy tickets nine months in advance are planning to attend both days no matter who wins.

You mean to tell me that if I go to a FF purchasing my tickets through the Iron Dukes, I can't go to the final game on those tickets if we lose? Are you sure about this? That doesn't sound right. Methinks someone should call the Iron Dukes office tomorrow and find out for sure. :confused:

ricks

Kedsy
07-25-2013, 01:12 AM
You mean to tell me that if I go to a FF purchasing my tickets through the Iron Dukes, I can't go to the final game on those tickets if we lose? Are you sure about this? That doesn't sound right. Methinks someone should call the Iron Dukes office tomorrow and find out for sure. :confused:

ricks

No, I'm not sure. I only know that's the way it was at the first/second round NCAAT this year and also at the Lacrosse Final Four this year, I attended both events so I'm sure about that.

I heard rumors that something similar went on at the 2012 basketball Final Four, but they may not have been reliable rumors. The fact that the 2013 NCAA events I attended were consistent with the rumors lent credibility in my mind, but that could be just me. So maybe it's different at the basketball Final Four, or maybe it isn't.

77devil
07-25-2013, 07:41 AM

The NCAA doesn't have more tickets to sell in the later game. You can't sell the same ticket twice. They simply have more to allocate to the winning teams or the general public.

As a practical matter, this new process may produce less revenue. Under the old system, you bought the book for both games from the school in advance. The revenue was earned whether you stayed for game 2 or not. Now the NCAA has to make a market in less than 48 hours for game 2. Is there really enough demand? I doubt many additional SDSU fans travelled across country for game 2 in Philly, and on reflection, there were a lot of empty seats in the WF Center on Sunday.

But you're right that the process has changed. I had forgotten that the Iron Duke tickets for round 2 had to be purchased separately after Duke beat Albany.

sagegrouse
07-25-2013, 08:20 AM

ricks

I agree. This would be total lunacy. Each Final Four team puts together travel and ticket packages that last from Friday to Tuesday, including air and ground transport, hotels, special events, and tickets to the Saturday and Monday games. Now, someone is alleging, each member school would be only able to put together a three-day package. Then, if the team wins, there would have to be another tour package put together on 12 hours notice.

I don't believe a word of this rumor.

sagegrouse

-jk
07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
I agree. This would be total lunacy. Each Final Four team puts together travel and ticket packages that last from Friday to Tuesday, including air and ground transport, hotels, special events, and tickets to the Saturday and Monday games. Now, someone is alleging, each member school would be only able to put together a three-day package. Then, if the team wins, there would have to be another tour package put together on 12 hours notice.

I don't believe a word of this rumor.

sagegrouse

Alas, I can't speak to the final four last year, but in the Indy regional we got a book for both sessions through the Iron Dukes.

They do allocate tickets to schools by session in the sub-regionals, albeit many fewer than in regionals. The main difference is that the subs have three double-headers in two days, and they still have just four "school" sections. In the thu/fri sessions one set of four schools has the afternoon tickets, the other set of schools has the evening tickets. The four winners get the sat/sun tickets. Annoying, but tickets are usually plentiful at the sub regionals - especially the thu/fri sessions.

I can't speak for any other sport's ticket allotment policies.

-jk

Kedsy
07-25-2013, 11:58 AM
The NCAA doesn't have more tickets to sell in the later game. You can't sell the same ticket twice. They simply have more to allocate to the winning teams or the general public.

Well, as -jk notes below, you can sell the same ticket twice in the sub-regional. I guess you're right about the regional and FF, though.

Alas, I can't speak to the final four last year, but in the Indy regional we got a book for both sessions through the Iron Dukes.

They do allocate tickets to schools by session in the sub-regionals, albeit many fewer than in regionals. The main difference is that the subs have three double-headers in two days, and they still have just four "school" sections. In the thu/fri sessions one set of four schools has the afternoon tickets, the other set of schools has the evening tickets. The four winners get the sat/sun tickets. Annoying, but tickets are usually plentiful at the sub regionals - especially the thu/fri sessions.

-jk

If they gave you a full book at the regional, then it would make sense that they'll give a full book for the Final Four. Hopefully, that's the case.

ricks68
07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks to all of you on this. Very enlightening. The DBR posters come through again. I'm sure that very shortly you will have it completely sorted out------and it will be accurate.:)

ricks

sagegrouse
07-25-2013, 05:52 PM

-jk

The sub-regionals have eight teams, don't they, and neatly divide into two four-team pods? Thus, the NCAA can give more tickets to the schools by dividing it into day and night sessions.

The regionals and the FF are just four teams. different case. Do you or anyone foresee the NCAA giving out tickets only for the semis and requiring ten thousand people (each school gets about 5,000) to wait in a will-call line? And a lot of these are big donors and university officials.

sagegrouse

77devil
07-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, as -jk notes below, you can sell the same ticket twice in the sub-regional. I guess you're right about the regional and FF, though.

That's only on day 1 when the there are separate day and evening sessions. Your original post and my response was about day 2 when no such situation exists.

Kedsy
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
That's only on day 1 when the there are separate day and evening sessions. Your original post and my response was about day 2 when no such situation exists.

Well, I don't think that was what my original post was about, but it's not worth arguing now.

luman50
07-25-2013, 10:32 PM
I went to the 2012 Final Four in New Orleans and had really bad seats. The Superdome isn't a great basketball venue. However, the experience and the events surrounding made it all worth it (despite UK winning)!

Turk
07-26-2013, 04:43 PM
NMDuke, glad to hear you're going. Enjoy it - but be prepared to spend all night watching the Jerry Jones Jumbotron instead of the court itself. You'll be glad to cross it off your bucket list, and you can make up your own mind about whether it's worth the hassle down the road.

I've been twice (Superdome 1993 - "timeout, what timeout?", Georgia Dome 2002 - "Maryland's Juan Shining Moment"). No desire to do it again, unless Duke is in it and it's at a fun city for the weekend, or unless somehow I bought or lucked my way into good lower level seats. Watching any game in a dome is horrid - I've always recorded them to watch "up close" when I get home. (Nawlins and Hotlanta definitely qualify as fun cities; not so sure about Dallas).

At the Georgia Dome, I was lucky to be invited to a mid-level corporate suite, behind one of the baskets. The sightlines were OK, and I was on my best behavior and tried to be a good guest and have fun. This was easy to do, as I didn't really have a dog in the fight. However, during the Final, I was trying to WATCH THE GAME from an out-of-the way corner. Two tech geeks right behind me spent the whole game yammering in my ear about routers, network packet switching schemes, TCP/IP layers, dumb clients with deep pockets and no brains, and how late they thought they could show up at work the next day.

It's a good thing I never learned Mama Turk's "We're-in-CHURCH-you-better-CUT-THAT-OUT-before-I-SMACK-you" Death Stare (Lord knows I received more than my share). I don't think those two clowns even knew there was a game on, let alone who was playing...

Anyway, I much prefer the first-second rounds and the regionals. However, the moneychangers at the NCAA are even ruining those. For example, when Duke was at Philly for the 1st-2nd rounds, you'll recall it was a Friday - Sunday split. If memory serves, the Duke-Creighton tipoff was right about 10PM on Sunday night, and the game was over well after midnight. I didn't get home until about 1:30 AM. Yes, I know I'm a geezer now, but that's just insane.

On the plus side, and apologies for humblebragging, but Duke is 18-0 in the NCAAT when I've watched them play in person. If you ever happen to have extras, hook me up!! (On the other hand, Duke is 0-1 in the ACCT when I've been in the building.... Gotta improve that somehow...)