PDA

View Full Version : Moving up the Duke-UNC Football Game

DukeHLM'13
07-24-2013, 06:37 AM
Just saw the article on the DBR front page that Coach Cut would like to move the Duke-UNC football game up from the traditional Thanksgiving break. I think that this is a fantastic idea, especially when the game is played at Duke. Most UNC students live in state and can still go to the game when it is at their place and over the break, but with ~80% of Duke students being from outside of North/South Carolina, it all but guarantees that there will be hardly any students at the game if it is over break.

They moved the game up last year, and I would challenge anyone to come up with a Duke football game from the last 10 years that was more well attended by the students. Sure there were other factors that played into that attendance than just the date, but if it that game had been over thanksgiving with the exact same lead-up, the attendance would have been maybe 25% of what it was from the student body.

The game will sell tickets no matter the date, but its nice to see Cut emphasizing the importance of having the student body at the game. I just graduated this spring and I live and breath Duke Basketball, but that football game tops all but a very select few basketball moments of my 4 years at Duke. The students want to be at the game, and, unfortunately, it becomes a lot more difficult for them to get there if the game continues to by played over Thanksgiving. So move it, it makes sense!

OldPhiKap
07-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Just saw the article on the DBR front page that Coach Cut would like to move the Duke-UNC football game up from the traditional Thanksgiving break. I think that this is a fantastic idea, especially when the game is played at Duke. Most UNC students live in state and can still go to the game when it is at their place and over the break, but with ~80% of Duke students being from outside of North/South Carolina, it all but guarantees that there will be hardly any students at the game if it is over break.

They moved the game up last year, and I would challenge anyone to come up with a Duke football game from the last 10 years that was more well attended by the students. Sure there were other factors that played into that attendance than just the date, but if it that game had been over thanksgiving with the exact same lead-up, the attendance would have been maybe 25% of what it was from the student body.

The game will sell tickets no matter the date, but its nice to see Cut emphasizing the importance of having the student body at the game. I just graduated this spring and I live and breath Duke Basketball, but that football game tops all but a very select few basketball moments of my 4 years at Duke. The students want to be at the game, and, unfortunately, it becomes a lot more difficult for them to get there if the game continues to by played over Thanksgiving. So move it, it makes sense!

Agreed. I love tradition and all, but having as many Duke fannies in the seats as possible is paramount.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Agreed. I love tradition and all, but having as many Duke fannies in the seats as possible is paramount.
The weather was better in October than at the end of the season, making for a superb game day experience.... at least for us Dukies!:cool:

blazindw
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
The weather was better in October than at the end of the season, making for a superb game day experience.... at least for us Dukies!:cool:

I've always been a fan of making that the game they play during the midseason rivalry week - the same as Texas/OU, Miami/FSU, Michigan/MSU and other big-time rivalries. Having as many students fill Wally Wade as possible helps create the bigtime game atmosphere this game deserves. I think Wake could be our end-of-season rivalry game.

uh_no
07-24-2013, 11:12 AM

He's been pushing it since he got here, and i think he has about 50% success rate. It was early last year, and I think it was early 3 years ago for the game at UNC.

I'm all for it, but i'm sure there's pushback from the tarholes.