PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dennis Farina

NashvilleDevil
07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
With many people (no one on here of course) on royal baby watch thought I would start a thread about one of the great character actors of the last 30 years. Always enjoyed Dennis Farina when he was on the screen. Been watching a lot of his Get Shorty and Midnight Run clips today. I would post those but this is a family website.

bjornolf
07-22-2013, 05:21 PM
With many people (no one on here of course) on royal baby watch thought I would start a thread about one of the great character actors of the last 30 years. Always enjoyed Dennis Farina when he was on the screen. Been watching a lot of his Get Shorty and Midnight Run clips today. I would post those but this is a family website.

Oh, man. I am a HUGE Farina fan. He was so great in all his roles.

Indoor66
07-22-2013, 05:23 PM
A fine actor - he made his roles believable. He did not overplay a character. He died too young. RIP

Blue KevIL
07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Gone way too soon. Down to earth Chicago guy.
Served on the Chicago Police Department for nearly 19 years. Was a partner of my uncle for a period of time.

I'll most remember him from his movie roles in Thief, Code of Silence, Midnight Run, Striking Distance, Get Shorty and Out of Sight & from his TV roles on Crime Story, Law & Order, Luck and Unsolved Mysteries. I have to catch up on some that I have not seen yet.

This afternoon, I watched a clip of him on Jon Favreau's old show Dinner for Five. Dennis was asked what movies or TV shows best portrayed the police business. He said The French Connection was the best movie and Barney Miller was the best TV show (primarily because of the on-the-job humor).

I'll always get a kick out of a line he has in Out of Sight.
He plays the father of Karen Sisco (Jennifer Lopez) and is introduced to her boyfriend Ray, an FBI agent portrayed by Michael Keaton.
Ray is on-duty and stops by to visit Karen and her father. Ray can be seen wearing a white t-shirt that says "FBI" on the front in huge blue letters.
The line? "Tell me Ray, do you ever wear one that says 'Undercover'?" Just perfect and delivered in just his own Farina style.

RIP