PDA

View Full Version : What radio show/station talks a lot of Duke basketball?

AAA1980
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Im not from the North Carolina area i was wondering what radio shows/stations to stream that talks a decent amount of Duke ball..

BlueDevilBrowns
07-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Im not from the North Carolina area i was wondering what radio shows/stations to stream that talks a decent amount of Duke ball..

To me, the most informative and insightful is the Dave Glenn Show, which is syndicated in the triangle, triad, and charlotte markets. Try 99.9 the fan in Raleigh and 1320 am in Greensboro. I believe the station in Charlotte is WFNZ 610 am.

For laughs, try "The Drive" with Taylor Zarzour(spelling?) and some dude named Marc James who knows as much about sports as my daughter. She's 3. They're on the same stations after Dave Glenn.

roywhite
07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
To me, the most informative and insightful is the Dave Glenn Show, which is syndicated in the triangle, triad, and charlotte markets. Try 99.9 the fan in Raleigh and 1320 am in Greensboro. I believe the station in Charlotte is WFNZ 610 am.

For laughs, try "The Drive" with Taylor Zarzour(spelling?) and some dude named Marc James who knows as much about sports as my daughter. She's 3. They're on the same stations after Dave Glenn.

Yeah, Adam Gold on 99.9 is pretty knowledgeable; some of his colleagues are a bit grudging in giving Duke full respect. Not a huge David Glenn fan.

Zarzour and James are awful, and like to take shots at Duke besides. I miss Mark Packer (yeah, the son of you know who); he was the previous host of the slot that Zarzour and James have, a program syndicated in North and South Carolina. In addition to a good knowledge of basketball himself, Packer often had Mike Gminski on to talk college hoops in general and Duke hoops particularly....very good.

On the national scene, there are a few good commentators and Jay Bilas is probably the best.

wilko
07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
While there are local hosts that talk Duke as part of the rotation of topics...
Unfortunately, there is no one station or radio personality that is the Fox News equivalent of being what I would term a "Pro Duke" outlet exclusively.

It just doesn't exist. I wish it did.

Duke_92
07-20-2013, 10:06 PM
During the season a group of Duke and UNC alumni put together a podcast that covers both teams. They only release a new one about every two weeks but I find them to be balanced and enjoyable. The website is here: http://www.bluevsblue.com/. It is also on iTunes.

I don't find the articles on the site as engaging or balanced so I mainly wait for the podcasts. I'd be interested to know if anyone else can recommend Duke oriented podcast.

Newton_14
07-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Yeah, Adam Gold on 99.9 is pretty knowledgeable; some of his colleagues are a bit grudging in giving Duke full respect. Not a huge David Glenn fan.

Zarzour and James are awful, and like to take shots at Duke besides. I miss Mark Packer (yeah, the son of you know who); he was the previous host of the slot that Zarzour and James have, a program syndicated in North and South Carolina. In addition to a good knowledge of basketball himself, Packer often had Mike Gminski on to talk college hoops in general and Duke hoops particularly....very good.

On the national scene, there are a few good commentators and Jay Bilas is probably the best.

I actually like Taylor Zarzour and he is really not a Duke hater. He was great during our 2010 title run when his show The Drive was in Raleigh (pre-the replacement of Packman). Totally agree on Marc James though. He is horrible and absolutely kills that show. I think he is holding Taylor back to be honest. Keep hoping he gets canned as Taylor does not need a partner.

Dave Glenn is good but a UNC homer bigtime. It really on comes out loudly though during the "difficult" situations like the Patrick Davidson/Chris Paul game, the Lance jewelry purchase, and the ongoing PJ/UNC Scandal mess. He called out Coach K on the Lance purchase but has been very soft on all the UNC Scandals, violations, PJ, McDonald, etc.

Adam Gold is pretty good most of the time and not a Maryland homer despite being a Maryland grad. He makes a good attempt to be fair to all 3 Triangle Schools in my opinion...