PDA

View Full Version : I Hope Maryland Doesn't Hear of This Legal Theory

BD80
07-18-2013, 05:53 PM
As part of the trend, ever growing in popularity, of NCAA members to battle it out IN court instead of ON the court, I present:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22794453/kent-state-wins-12-million-lawsuit-against-former-coach-geno-ford

Kent State wins a decision enforcing the coach's buy-out clause ($300k/yr).

The killer, and this is a quote from the article, is that Kent is suing Bradley for coach-poaching:

Kent State is reported to be going after Bradley for "torturous interference with Kent State's contractual relationship" with Ford.

Not "tortious" interference with contract, a civil law no-no for which the aggrieved party can recover damages, but "torturous!"

Did they waterboard him? Strap him to Count Rugen's device and suck out years of his life? Make him watch Grown-Ups 2?

Merlindevildog91
07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
As part of the trend, ever growing in popularity, of NCAA members to battle it out IN court instead of ON the court, I present:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22794453/kent-state-wins-12-million-lawsuit-against-former-coach-geno-ford

The killer, and this is a quote from the article, is that Kent is suing Bradley for coach-poaching:

Kent State is reported to be going after Bradley for "torturous interference with Kent State's contractual relationship" with Ford.

Not "tortious" interference with contract, a civil law no-no for which the aggrieved party can recover damages, but "torturous!"

Did they waterboard him? Strap him to Count Rugen's device and suck out years of his life? Make him watch Grown-Ups 2?

I found torts to be torturous, which is why I ended up in criminal law.

But I would also like to know what form of torture the plaintiff alleges.

Henderson
07-18-2013, 08:04 PM
It's Kent State. For me, they forever lost their claim to the moral high ground on 5/4/70.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2013, 08:17 PM
It's Kent State. For me, they forever lost their claim to the moral high ground on 5/4/70.

Damn, I tried to spork Hendu twice today but still gotta spead the love first. En fuego.

I am afraid to say that if you want torturous, go to see CSN these days. Y is of course better than ever.

devildeac
07-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Damn, I tried to spork Hendu twice today but still gotta spead the love first. En fuego.

I am afraid to say that if you want torturous, go to see CSN these days. Y is of course better than ever.

I covered him for you;). We saw some concert film of them at the Rock and Roll HoF when we visited last year. Painful.

burnspbesq
07-18-2013, 10:22 PM

Stills and Young's voices are both shot. When we saw Buffalo Springfield two years ago, Furay did 80 percent of the lead vocals.

brevity
07-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Did they waterboard him? Strap him to Count Rugen's device and suck out years of his life?

"Not to 50!"

If we're talking about this as it could apply to Maryland, then it must be pointed out: College Park IS the Pit of Despair.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
"Not to 50!"

If we're talking about this as it could apply to Maryland, then it must be pointed out: College Park IS the Pit of Despair.

I'll tell you a secret, Lefty Driesell was not really left-handed. But he did have six fingers on one hand.

Thurber Whyte
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM

As an appellate lawyer, I used to get trial transcripts where, via the stenographer, a witness's reputation for "truth and voracity" was at issue.

Merlindevildog91
07-19-2013, 04:15 PM
As an appellate lawyer, I used to get trial transcripts where, via the stenographer, a witness's reputation for "truth and voracity" was at issue.

Do you get the "mute" points as well?

I would like it very much if the large majority of Twerp fans would go mute, although I was told by a State fan last year who was in College Park the weekend we played the sheep in football that the bar where he was watching the game went entirely insane when Jamison Crowder made his catch in the end zone. Of course, the bar could have been filled with our friends from Raleigh....

OldPhiKap
07-19-2013, 04:34 PM

I spent several years grading bar exam essays. Anyone who wrote about the "parole evidence rule" put themselves in a big hole.

allenmurray
07-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Stills and Young's voices are both shot. When we saw Buffalo Springfield two years ago, Furay did 80 percent of the lead vocals.

Young never had much of a voice - it is his intensity and musicianship that makes him great. So as his voice fades he is able to still make great music.

Stills on the other hand heavily relied on his voice (and let others carry him as far as musicianship). So as his voice goes so does his appeal.