PDA

View Full Version : Streelman at Muirfield

sagegrouse
07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Finished his first round at the British Open with four straight pars and posted a +3 74, which will be about in the middle of the field. The first 14 holes were adventurous -- three pars, four birdies and seven bogies.

Although not everyone is having a tough time -- looks like Zach Johnson will come in at -5 -- Tiger had an unplayable on his opening tee shot.

sagegrouse

jv001
07-18-2013, 03:38 PM
First time I've seen the fairways as fast as the greens. And the greens were very quick. Streelman's round was a good one as the course played tough. Go Kevin and Go Duke!

rsvman
07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
A better day today. He is doing well.

And I hope he keeps it up, too. I entered an Open Championship contest on a golf forum I frequent; the players were divided into 5 groups and I had to pick one player from each group. At the end of the tournament, they add up the scores of all the guys each person picked, and whoever has the lowest score wins.

I picked Streelman over a bunch of other very talented players from group 5 (Kuchar, McDowell, Cabrera [whoops, maybe], Geoff Ogilvy, for example). Right now I think I'm leading the pack. My guys are a total of two over, which is pretty darned good given the scoring.

So, go Duke! Go Kevin! Go me! (winner gets a free driver; I could use a new driver)

nmduke2001
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
A better day today. He is doing well.

And I hope he keeps it up, too. I entered an Open Championship contest on a golf forum I frequent; the players were divided into 5 groups and I had to pick one player from each group. At the end of the tournament, they add up the scores of all the guys each person picked, and whoever has the lowest score wins.

I picked Streelman over a bunch of other very talented players from group 5 (Kuchar, McDowell, Cabrera [whoops, maybe], Geoff Ogilvy, for example). Right now I think I'm leading the pack. My guys are a total of two over, which is pretty darned good given the scoring.

So, go Duke! Go Kevin! Go me! (winner gets a free driver; I could use a new driver)

Just curious. How is it counted if your player misses the cut? Just doubling the score might not work because Saturday and Sunday might produce really high scores that are higher than double the score of someone missing the cut.

sagegrouse
07-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Kevin had a very good even par 71 today, where only 24 of the 150+ golfers matched or bettered par. He is tied for 24th and trails Miguel Angel Jimenzx by six shots. Kevin played in the afternoon under dried-out conditions where the greens became much faster -- and he did well!

Way to go Streels!!

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
07-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Kevin recorded a +7 43 on the first nine today, including a 6 on the par 3 seventh hole. He stands at +10.

sage

jimsumner
07-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Kevin recorded a +7 43 on the first nine today, including a 6 on the par 3 seventh hole. He stands at +10.

sage

Ended with an 82. Ouch.

sagegrouse
07-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Streels finished the tournament with a more than respectable 73 (ahead of both Tiger and Lee Westwood). Let's hope this is a good base for future success by the Blue Devil.

While not normally a Phil Mickleson fan, I am really impressed with his 66 today at Muirfield. Phil is a "high ball" player that uses height on both long shots and around the green. This is not a good approach in the windy conditions in the (British) Open, where keeping the ball low is essential. He was able to make a few changes, win last week at Aberdeen and take the Claret Cup this week by three shots.

sagegrouse

Newton_14
07-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Streels finished the tournament with a more than respectable 73 (ahead of both Tiger and Lee Westwood). Let's hope this is a good base for future success by the Blue Devil.

While not normally a Phil Mickleson fan, I am really impressed with his 66 today at Muirfield. Phil is a "high ball" player that uses height on both long shots and around the green. This is not a good approach in the windy conditions in the (British) Open, where keeping the ball low is essential. He was able to make a few changes, win last week at Aberdeen and take the Claret Cup this week by three shots.

sagegrouse

Congrats to Kevin and major props to Phil Mickelson. It was far and away the best round of his career in the clutch, and his best win ever. Pulling for him to break through and finally win a US Open soon. That back nine today was a thing of beauty.

As for those that fell short, two interesting and opposite quotes below.

Lee Westwood- "I just did not play well enough today"
Tiger Woods- "The greens were different today. Much softer and slower than previous days. They got slower each day, and I could not adjust to the different speeds"

Listen, I am no Tiger Woods hater. Never have been. I did lose all respect for him when his private life came into full view, but prior to that would pull for him against most all of the non-USA guys, or USA guys that I was not a fan of. Watching that level of greatness is fun to me no matter who it is unless the person is just an absolute jerk.

Duvall, Mickelson, and Couples have always been my favorites. The thing with Tiger these days is the constant excuses if he does not win. It's either injuries or the course/conditions. Just wish he would stop all that and just say "Didn't have it today" or "You know I played really well, but Player X just played better than me so congrats to him". Not sure if he has it in him though. Maybe one day...

uh_no
07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Just wish he would stop all that and just say "Didn't have it today" or "You know I played really well, but Player X just played better than me so congrats to him".

I'm of the opposite opinions, I think those are completely meaningless BS reasons. If you say what you suggested, or the one to top them all "cam out flat today" it means you either don't know what went wrong, or you're not being honest about what went wrong.

Tiger pointed out the thing that he thought most cost him today, and he was completely honest that he thought it was his inability to read the greens. It wasn't some abstract "didn't have it today" or blaming the course (as certain people had done eariler in the week.....)

we know tiger and phil hate eachother, but at least he is honest about the state of his game. He always views his round as "what could I have done better today" and to some degree, I find that admirable. I know people here tend to hate when people criticize the duke team after a good game, saying that any suggestions for how to improve is "nit picking" but I can't stand that. You compete, and regardless of the outcome, you look at how you can get better. Tiger does that, and I'm sure that's how the duke team does it. I'm glad tiger at least gives some concrete reason rather than some PC cliche that most people in the sports world spew.

"didn't have it today"......if someone says that, why even have the interview? I'd rather watch reruns of the star wars holiday special than to have to sit through an interview where someone gave that as their analysis....says to me "I'm incapable of figuring out exactly what went wrong, so I'm going to say something meaningless"

Newton_14
07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm of the opposite opinions, I think those are completely meaningless BS reasons. If you say what you suggested, or the one to top them all "cam out flat today" it means you either don't know what went wrong, or you're not being honest about what went wrong.

Tiger pointed out the thing that he thought most cost him today, and he was completely honest that he thought it was his inability to read the greens. It wasn't some abstract "didn't have it today" or blaming the course (as certain people had done eariler in the week.....)

we know tiger and phil hate eachother, but at least he is honest about the state of his game. He always views his round as "what could I have done better today" and to some degree, I find that admirable. I know people here tend to hate when people criticize the duke team after a good game, saying that any suggestions for how to improve is "nit picking" but I can't stand that. You compete, and regardless of the outcome, you look at how you can get better. Tiger does that, and I'm sure that's how the duke team does it. I'm glad tiger at least gives some concrete reason rather than some PC cliche that most people in the sports world spew.

"didn't have it today"......if someone says that, why even have the interview? I'd rather watch reruns of the star wars holiday special than to have to sit through an interview where someone gave that as their analysis....says to me "I'm incapable of figuring out exactly what went wrong, so I'm going to say something meaningless"

We can agree to disagree on this one.

sagegrouse
07-22-2013, 11:19 AM
We can agree to disagree on this one.

I am more with Uh No on this one. I thought Tiger's comments were informative, and FWIW he wasn't watching the other players. And he did express a degree of amazement at Phil's score. Of course, given Tiger's history of secretiveness, I have set a low bar in evaluating his comments and interviews.

I think part of the "problem" between Tiger and other members of the tour is that he didn't come up through the ranks, as it were, spending a couple of years on the lesser tours and struggling to make and stay on the main tour. As a result of his immediate success, Tiger never had to (or got to) hang out with other players going through the same stuff. I mean, our man Streelman spent six years or so after Duke before making the PGA Tour.

For the record, Tiger turned pro in August 1996 and immediately signed record-breaking endorsement deals with Nike and Titleist. He was SI's Sportsman of the Year in 1996. Eight months after turning pro he won the Masters by ten shots or so, and within a year he was #1 in the world. And, of course, he was surrounded (somewhat against his wishes) by an entourage.

sagegrouse

BD80
07-22-2013, 01:57 PM
... For the record, Tiger turned pro in August 1996 and immediately ... he was surrounded (somewhat against his wishes) by an entourage.

sagegrouse

which were against his wishes, the strippers or the parents?

sagegrouse
07-22-2013, 03:34 PM
For the record, Tiger turned pro in August 1996 and immediately signed record-breaking endorsement deals with Nike and Titleist. He was SI's Sportsman of the Year in 1996. Eight months after turning pro he won the Masters by ten shots or so, and within a year he was #1 in the world. And, of course, he was surrounded (somewhat against his wishes) by an entourage.

sagegrouse

which were against his wishes, the strippers or the parents?

Not an inappropriate zing -- although I am willing to cut the 21YO Woods some slack. His father picked his key reps and he arrived on tour surrounded by handlers and staff. And he succeeded despite the pressure. A few years later, some other redhot prospect -- Ty Tryon, I think -- tried the same approach but crashed and burned.

sage

Papa John
07-23-2013, 08:05 AM
I think part of the "problem" between Tiger and other members of the tour is that he didn't come up through the ranks, as it were, spending a couple of years on the lesser tours and struggling to make and stay on the main tour. As a result of his immediate success, Tiger never had to (or got to) hang out with other players going through the same stuff. I mean, our man Streelman spent six years or so after Duke before making the PGA Tour.

Is there a similar "problem" perceived between Lefty and other members of the tour? Because he never had to come up through the ranks or go to Q school, either, really...

Totally agree with you and Uh No on Tiger's comments... Had he said something to the effect of "I didn't card a good score because the course was like a goat pasture out there," that would be making an excuse. As it was, his comments clearly echoed everything that Azinger was saying during the weekend rounds, that Woods was simply finding it difficult to read the speed of the greens. But a lot of the golfers were. Woods was simply acknowledging his failure to do so in his comments. His ball striking throughout the tournament was pretty impeccable, with very few exceptions. The guy continues to put himself in position to win in the majors... Eventually, he's going to break through a notch number 15... Question is, given how much confidence the other guys on tour have built during these lean years for Woods, will he be able to make it to 18 or 19? That remains to be seen. In the meantime, as a fan of PGA golf, I ain't complaining... This dynamic has created some great drama on weekends and brought out some spectacular rounds in guys, like Mickelson's back nine magic on Sunday...

rsvman
07-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Kevin killed me in my pool with his round on Saturday. I was glad to see that be bounced back on Sunday, for his sake. I was already toast.

If a player you choose misses the cut, he is assigned a final score that is one I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. worse than the worst score of the players who made the cut. For all practical purposes, you're out if one of your picks misses the cut.

killerleft
07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Kevin killed me in my pool with his round on Saturday. I was glad to see that be bounced back on Sunday, for his sake. I was already toast.

If a player you choose misses the cut, he is assigned a final score that is one I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. worse than the worst score of the players who made the cut. For all practical purposes, you're out if one of your picks misses the cut.

I learned my lesson years and years ago. Since I could not bring myself to gamble with my head instead of my heart, I quit gambling. I get into some low-rent betting pools for the fun of it, but I still pick Duke to win the basketball Natty every single year. That's a tough handicap to give oneself. Was Streelman a high-payout pick?