PDA

View Full Version : Double Trouble - too much Jordan for the BobCats

BD80
07-17-2013, 09:06 AM
This is REALLY funny, and could have been posted in numerous threads:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22786459/report-michael-jordan-promotes-brother-in-bobcats-front-office

As if the BobCats weren't bad enough with MJ calling the personnel shots, he has hired his brother Larry to be team DIRECTOR of player personnel.

PAUSE for effect.

Really? Larry, who played high school ball and was in the World Basketball league briefly in 1988? Larry, who has been in charge of "special projects" for the BobCats?

Of course, the position has been VACANT for the last three years, so does it really matter?

Even funnier, MJ also has his son, Jeffrey, and daughter, Jasmine, on the Cats payroll. Golly, why do the Cats suck so bad?

SupaDave
07-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Even funnier, MJ also has his son, Jeffrey, and daughter, Jasmine, on the Cats payroll. Golly, why do the Cats suck so bad?

Shouldn't be funny at all. I'm sure they have to make appearances, attend meetings and what not. Think of them as family "cheerleaders."

sagegrouse
07-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Shouldn't be funny at all. I'm sure they have to make appearances, attend meetings and what not. Think of them as family "cheerleaders."

Jordan never learns, does he? Having non-performing family members in supposedly key jobs is a cancer in any organization: it shows a lack of respect for the professionals in the organization and sends the message that connections matter more than performance.

Also, as Bobby Bowden once said, "If your son is your offensive coordinator, you better win every game, or fans will say that he's the reason you lost."

Of course, the Bobcats have won fewer games the last couple of years than almost any team in NBA history, so how much more criticism could MJ get?

sagegrouse

SmartDevil
07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Forget about "salaries" and titles.

Jordan should just pay his relatives a generous allowance to sit at home watching tv all day. Keep them away from the team and team operations.

Duvall
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Jordan never learns, does he? Having non-performing family members in supposedly key jobs is a cancer in any organization: it shows a lack of respect for the professionals in the organization and sends the message that connections matter more than performance.

How do we know that Jordan's family members are not performing?

It's not unusual for sports franchises to have members of the owner's family in various roles around the organization. But a struggling franchise like the Bobcats should be looking outside for new ideas that can turn things around. It's the wasted opportunity that's the problem here.

SupaDave
07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
How do we know that Jordan's family members are not performing?

It's not unusual for sports franchises to have members of the owner's family in various roles around the organization. But a struggling franchise like the Bobcats should be looking outside for new ideas that can turn things around. It's the wasted opportunity that's the problem here.

Well, I'd say as of now they aren't even on par with the Bengals' bumbling Brown family - but they are a much younger program with much to learn. And yes, they are quite a few families running professional teams. The Lakers, The Pats, The Yankees, Playboy - oh wait, but you get the picture. Nepotism - don't hate the game.

BD80
07-19-2013, 11:59 AM
He'll be screwing up the Hornets:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22813712/nba-board-of-governors-approves-charlotte-name-change-back-to-hornets

davekay1971
07-19-2013, 12:29 PM
so how much more criticism could MJ get?

sagegrouse

MJ gets no criticism in the state of North Carolina. About the worst I've ever heard from locals is that he maybe should get someone to help him with the draft.

Since I could care less about the Bobcats/Hornets, keep MJ around for my own personal amusement. The more the various deities of UNC embarrass that sanctimonious, hypocritical, self-important institution, the happier I am.

Henderson
07-19-2013, 01:30 PM
A super-rich guy like MJ has to do something when it's not golf season, so why not own and run a major sports franchise? Remember Donald Trump and the USFL? Same thing. It's a way of keeping in the limelight, keeping the adoration coming, and pretending you are still relevant. Bummer for MJ and the Bobcats that he's so bad at it. Padding the payroll with family members just confirms this isn't about successfully managing a basketball franchise. It's a toy, and he's not the first owner of a major sports franchise to have the hubris to say to himself, "Hey, I got the money; any idiot could do this."

greybeard
07-19-2013, 09:07 PM
A super-rich guy like MJ has to do something when it's not golf season, so why not own and run a major sports franchise? Remember Donald Trump and the USFL? Same thing. It's a way of keeping in the limelight, keeping the adoration coming, and pretending you are still relevant. Bummer for MJ and the Bobcats that he's so bad at it. Padding the payroll with family members just confirms this isn't about successfully managing a basketball franchise. It's a toy, and he's not the first owner of a major sports franchise to have the hubris to say to himself, "Hey, I got the money; any idiot could do this."

For my money, this sounds pretty sound.

Acymetric
07-20-2013, 03:03 PM
MJ gets no criticism in the state of North Carolina. About the worst I've ever heard from locals is that he maybe should get someone to help him with the draft.

Since I could care less about the Bobcats/Hornets, keep MJ around for my own personal amusement. The more the various deities of UNC embarrass that sanctimonious, hypocritical, self-important institution, the happier I am.

Even Carolina fans I know think he sucks with the Bobcats...he gets plenty of criticism here, rest assured :cool: