PDA

View Full Version : Kroger buying Harris-Teeter

duketaylor
07-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Thoughts? I've been with Kroger for several years and would like to hear feelings about this announcement, especially being that it will be of interest to those in NC and other mid-Atlantic states. I completely understand why our company went this direction and I've always thought Harris-Teeter to be an excellent operator.

throatybeard
07-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Thoughts? I've been with Kroger for several years and would like to hear feelings about this announcement, especially being that it will be of interest to those in NC and other mid-Atlantic states. I completely understand why our company went this direction and I've always thought Harris-Teeter to be an excellent operator.

I seen it.

That is to say, I was in Boone, and there was a Charlotte Observer, and I saw it. This is somewhat odd, especially when you consider the Kroger-HT store swap of a few years ago.

devil84
07-11-2013, 09:22 AM
It sounds positive, I think. I'm more of a Kroger fan than a H-T fan. Does this mean that H-T prices could go down a bit? Or will Kroger's go up? Does this mean that between the many H-T and Kroger stores around me, that some will go out? (They said "no," but...)

And most importantly, since Kroger is based in Cincinnati, will I eventually be able to get Skyline Chili at most any Harris-Teeter??!!

CameronBornAndBred
07-11-2013, 10:27 AM
It sounds positive, I think. I'm more of a Kroger fan than a H-T fan. Does this mean that H-T prices could go down a bit? Or will Kroger's go up? Does this mean that between the many H-T and Kroger stores around me, that some will go out? (They said "no," but...)

And most importantly, since Kroger is based in Cincinnati, will I eventually be able to get Skyline Chili at most any Harris-Teeter??!!
When I was a kid in Durham, the store we shopped at was Kroger. Then they disappeared. Then tons of years later, HT moved into the Triangle. (And Kroger is there too.)
Kroger says they don't plan on changing much, that the HT brand is a great one and they will continue it. That makes sense. I just hope they convince the people at HT that when they put ribs on "sale" for buy one get one free, it is still a crappy deal when the original price is over $6/lb. Who the hell pays $20 for a rack of ribs? I could buy them cooked in restaurant for cheaper.

killerleft
07-11-2013, 10:38 AM
When I was a kid in Durham, the store we shopped at was Kroger. Then they disappeared. Then tons of years later, HT moved into the Triangle. (And Kroger is there too.)
Kroger says they don't plan on changing much, that the HT brand is a great one and they will continue it. That makes sense. I just hope they convince the people at HT that when they put ribs on "sale" for buy one get one free, it is still a crappy deal when the original price is over $6/lb. Who the hell pays $20 for a rack of ribs? I could buy them cooked in restaurant for cheaper.

Great point! I just hope HT continues to carry Boar's Head deli products. I much prefer their stuff to the usual brands at other Triad N.C. grocery stores.

fuse
07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
I prefer Harris Teeter. Likely means we'll go back to Lowe's once this goes through.

Kroger is not as bad as Food Lion, but is as generic a grocery store can come.
I guess character is not a necessity for a grocery store, but Kroger is just white box soulless.

DukeUsul
07-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Harris Teeter has a better coupon policy. Making use of that policy, we found we could often get things cheaper at H-T than at Kroger, though both stores were typically nice places to shop. I'm curious if the policy will change.

For example, H-T will double manuf. coupons with up to a face value of $0.99. So if you present a coupon for $0.99, you will get $1.98 off of your purchase (or up to the retail price of the item). Kroger will fully double manuf. coupons with face values up to $0.50. So a $0.50 coupon gets you $1.00 off. Coupons between $0.50 and $0.99 will be "doubled" up to a maximum discount of $1.00. So a $0.75 coupon at Kroger will only get you $1.00 off your purchase.

If you hit H-T during their super-doubles or triple coupon times, you can save a ton of money. More so than at Kroger.

budwom
07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Kroger has stated that they pretty much plan on leaving the Heater Tweeters alone...they like their profit margins and the way they sell produce.

We enjoy The Tweeter on our seasonal visits, the only option being Food Lyin', they of the bleached meat and fish fame. OK for staples, but for meat and
produce The Tweeter is vastly better...

aimo
07-11-2013, 01:54 PM
I hate Kroger. The ones here in Durham seem to only be able to hire the rudest, laziest, most ignorant people on earth to staff their stores. Plus the store are dirty and the produce section makes no sense to me. They spray down vegetables every few minutes, ones that should be kept dry - potatoes! Then wonder why they're rotting in the bins. Their dairy products are dated less than a week from purchase. Their carts are in crappy shape ALWAYS, and that's only when you can find one.

HT is clean, the customer service desk is only staffed with managers that are almost always very friendly. And if you have to go to customer service, you don't have to wait in a long line of folks waiting to buy lottery tickets! Their evic specials are great, love the coupon deals. Love the evic coupon deals that you can access online. I can buy milk and eggs that aren't about to expire. Even the shopping carts are always reliable. Yes, some of their prices, especially produce, are higher, but I would rather spend a little more than deal with the crap that is Kroger. I have heard more negative responses about this than positive, so I hope Kroger folks are reading our fears.

cbarry
07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
After shopping at both Kroger and Harris Teeter today, I figured out the #1 reason I like HT better. No, it's not the better sales, customer service, coupon policies, or cleanliness, though those are all true. At Harris Teeter, you DON'T HAVE TO UNLOAD YOUR CART at the register! At Kroger, I have to put each item on a conveyor belt, which the cashier then rings up, bags, and puts in my cart. At HT, they streamline the process by scanning directly out of my cart, eliminating the need for me to remove my entire cart's contents. It also makes it easier to swap lines if needed. I always seem to get behind somebody who takes extra time, but if I have already unloaded my cart onto the conveyor belt, I'm STUCK!

allenmurray
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I hate Kroger. The ones here in Durham seem to only be able to hire the rudest, laziest, most ignorant people on earth to staff their stores. Plus the store are dirty and the produce section makes no sense to me. They spray down vegetables every few minutes, ones that should be kept dry - potatoes! Then wonder why they're rotting in the bins. Their dairy products are dated less than a week from purchase. Their carts are in crappy shape ALWAYS, and that's only when you can find one.

HT is clean, the customer service desk is only staffed with managers that are almost always very friendly. And if you have to go to customer service, you don't have to wait in a long line of folks waiting to buy lottery tickets! Their evic specials are great, love the coupon deals. Love the evic coupon deals that you can access online. I can buy milk and eggs that aren't about to expire. Even the shopping carts are always reliable. Yes, some of their prices, especially produce, are higher, but I would rather spend a little more than deal with the crap that is Kroger. I have heard more negative responses about this than positive, so I hope Kroger folks are reading our fears.

Exactly! I avoid Kroger. On the rare occasion that I stop in (perhaps it is more on my route and I need one item) i am always reminded of why I avoid it. On the other hand HT is always clean, well organized and well lit. The customer service is outstanding.

Since I recently moved from Durham to Mebane, where there is no HT, is is a bit of a moot point for me. I now shop at Lowes Foods, which almost equals HT for service and quality.

cbarry
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I hate Kroger also. The people never seem to give a darn, and the stores are dirty.

Lowe's Foods is all riiiiight... but not the level of service of HT. I don't like their meat too much at Lowe's Foods. They sold me some bad meat once, so I won't buy meat from them again. They also cut their Boston Butts rather than leave them in a vacuum pack.

Exactly! I avoid Kroger. On the rare occasion that I stop in (perhaps it is more on my route and I need one item) i am always reminded of why I avoid it. On the other hand HT is always clean, well organized and well lit. The customer service is outstanding.

Since I recently moved from Durham to Mebane, where there is no HT, is is a bit of a moot point for me. I now shop at Lowes Foods, which almost equals HT for service and quality.

allenmurray
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I hate Kroger also. The people never seem to give a darn, and the stores are dirty.

Lowe's Foods is all riiiiight... but not the level of service of HT. I don't like their meat too much at Lowe's Foods. They sold me some bad meat once, so I won't buy meat from them again. They also cut their Boston Butts rather than leave them in a vacuum pack.

Mebane = small town life, which has many benefits, but some drawbacks, one of which is few choices. Lowes or Food Lion. Easy call.

DU82
07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I expect that the Kroger branded stores will either close or be rebranded HT within North Carolina. I didn't realize that there were only 14 Krogers in NC, almost all in the Triangle (I hope I'm remembering the numbers from an N&O story correctly.) Harris Teeter is around 150 or so. There's not a lot of overlap in other states, either, other than I think TENN.

HT swapped stores with Lowes in the Charlotte area last year, basically giving Lowes their rural stores while getting back the (sub)urban ones. I think it was a good swap for both. Publix is moving into Charlotte, and that pushed HT to wanting a deal to solidify their position in their home territory. (Having recently been in a Publix in Florida, I don't get the big deal about them. Looked generic, really a lot like a Kroger store. It's not like Wegman's was moving in.)

Reilly
07-11-2013, 08:18 PM
How's the parking at the respective stores? As bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU

hurleyfor3
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Kroger has a long history of keeping the names of whom they buy. (Colorado has King Soopers [stupidest name ever] and City Market, and New Mexico has Smith's, all of which are Krogers.) Kinda the opposite of Macy's. I suspect the first change you'll see is the introduction of Kroger house brands at HT's.

The King Soopers around Denver are hit or miss. There are some very nice ones, and some where you go in and it feels like 1973. I get the impression Kroger doesn't prioritize updating older stores but would rather build new ones, even cannibalizing the territory of an existing older store. Not really an issue with HT's as they're generally nice.

Lid
07-11-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm in the camp of being somewhat afraid that this will mean my neighborhood HT will start to sink in quality. I agree with many upthread comments about the cleanliness, effficiency, friendliness and quality of HT compared to Kroger (in Durham). Fingers crossed that those characteristics remain strong.

Now, if Ukrop's or Wegman's moved in, I'd have to reconsider my loyalty to the Teet.

JBDuke
07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm in the camp of being somewhat afraid that this will mean my neighborhood HT will start to sink in quality. I agree with many upthread comments about the cleanliness, effficiency, friendliness and quality of HT compared to Kroger (in Durham). Fingers crossed that those characteristics remain strong.

Now, if Ukrop's or Wegman's moved in, I'd have to reconsider my loyalty to the Teet.

Unfortunately, Ukrop's is no more. They sold their stores to Martin's a while back. Wegman's on the other hand, has moved into Northern Virginia and seems to be doing well.

msdukie
07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Once Publix moves forward with its invasion of North Carolina, this thread will be moot. (And no, there is nothing generic about Publix).

cbarry
07-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Once Publix moves forward with its invasion of North Carolina, this thread will be moot. (And no, there is nothing generic about Publix).
I can't WAIT! Their strategy is perplexing, however. 1 new store in Charlotte and 1 in Cary within the next 1-2 years. It hardly seems cost effective to have such a small presence. I had hoped Publix would put in a competing offer for HT, but it doesn't look like that will happen. I shopped Publix when I lived in GA, and they would be an acceptable alternative to HT.

nocilla
07-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I just have to go against the grain a little bit. I like Kroger. But then again I don't have Kroger or HT in my town so my experience is limited. My choices are Food Lion or Lowes. In Roxboro, Food Lion is better. Although for meats you can't beat IGA. I do stop at Kroger every once in a while on the way home from Durham and I like it a lot. They have so much more variety to choose from and a far greater selection of organic produce. I have only been to a Harris Teeter a couple times in my lifetime and my impression has been that they were expensive. They were nice and clean from what I remember but I have never felt unclean in Kroger either. I don't even know where the nearest Harris Teeter is to me. Kroger is also the only store that I know of that has tried to find a way to eliminate BPA from all their canned goods. They haven't been successful yet, but I like the effort.

Indoor66
07-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Nor is anything inexpensive at Publix.

cbarry
07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Just like with HT and Kroger, it's all about shopping the sales at Publix. HT and Kroger have very high prices on most things, but time the sale and coupons, and you will do well.
Nor is anything inexpensive at Publix.

aimo
07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
I vacation in Florida every year, so I am very familiar with Publix, though I imagine prices may be a bit higher on the beach. They don't have a card membership system, probably b/c so many of their customers are tourists, and when they have buy get one free, they don't let you buy just one at half price, which sucks. Publix's bakery rocks, though. Too much, in fact.

I did not realize that Kroger's NC stores were mostly just in this area. Aren't we fortunate? Actually, rumor has it that the one on MLK/Roxboro St in Durham may be on the way out. My neighbor was there on Super Bowl Sunday, and a manager-type person wanted her to do a survey. When she asked what all the questions were about, she was told that they were considering closing that location, which isn't very old, b/c the Walmart across the street was kicking their butts. An interesting situation there . . the whole reason it's not a Super Walmart is b/c Kroger protested. So, it's a smaller one, but half the store is grocery that has great prices. So, Kroger was hurt anyway. I would not go to either store after dark, however.

I wish we had a closer Lowe's Foods. Have not yet been to the new Carlie C's IGA, it's across town, but I hear they are nice. I haven't been to an IGA around here since Shield's Grocery in Parkwood closed many moons ago. For fresh, local produce, I go to King's Red and White on Club/Roxboro.

DukeUsul
07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I just remembered another thing I love about H-T that I hope they keep. The return policy on fish and meat is wonderful. I recall buying a piece of mahi mahi one day, getting home to cook it, and found on unwrapping it that it had clearly started to turn. I brought it right back to the H-T customer service counter, where they gave a 2x refund, no questions asked (i.e., the fish cost something like $12 and I got back $24). I don't think Kroger has a policy like that.

budwom
07-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Publix could still make a bid for the Heeter Tweeter which would mix things up a bit.
The WalMart is hurting everyone with its very low prices: they have huge market share (biggest in the country), they beat their competitors (primarily with price)
and customers rate their stores as among the worst in the country. That's just how it is.

throatybeard
07-12-2013, 02:45 PM
You folks have really strong opinions about chain grocery stores.

cbarry
07-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Grocery shopping is serious business!!

DU82
07-12-2013, 11:32 PM
I vacation in Florida every year, so I am very familiar with Publix, though I imagine prices may be a bit higher on the beach. They don't have a card membership system, probably b/c so many of their customers are tourists, and when they have buy get one free, they don't let you buy just one at half price, which sucks. Publix's bakery rocks, though. Too much, in fact.

I did not realize that Kroger's NC stores were mostly just in this area. Aren't we fortunate? Actually, rumor has it that the one on MLK/Roxboro St in Durham may be on the way out. My neighbor was there on Super Bowl Sunday, and a manager-type person wanted her to do a survey. When she asked what all the questions were about, she was told that they were considering closing that location, which isn't very old, b/c the Walmart across the street was kicking their butts. An interesting situation there . . the whole reason it's not a Super Walmart is b/c Kroger protested. So, it's a smaller one, but half the store is grocery that has great prices. So, Kroger was hurt anyway. I would not go to either store after dark, however.

I wish we had a closer Lowe's Foods. Have not yet been to the new Carlie C's IGA, it's across town, but I hear they are nice. I haven't been to an IGA around here since Shield's Grocery in Parkwood closed many moons ago. For fresh, local produce, I go to King's Red and White on Club/Roxboro.

Being two miles from the Kroger on MLK, I know it's hanging on by a thread. BTW, you are incorrect about why it's not a Super WM. the site was originally approved for zoning for a shopping center generating X trips a day. When WalMart came in, they knew that they wouldn't get it rezoned for a bigger store, so they sized their store for the number of trips already approved. Doing anything else would have required a new permit and they didn't want to risk that.

Lowes moved out of Durham about ten years ago. The closest one is in Brier Creek, I believe.

weezie
07-13-2013, 08:26 AM

All Hail the world's greatest grocery store: WEGMANS!!!!! I wish I could live in the Wegs.

77devil
07-13-2013, 09:33 AM
All Hail the world's greatest grocery store: WEGMANS!!!!! I wish I could live in the Wegs.

We once had two terrific, family owned and run local chains in the Philly. They were acquired and atomized by Giant and Safeway. The latter recently bailed and sold all it's acquired stores to Giant which is awful. Blah. It's been Whole Foods and local farmers' markets for awhile for Mrs. 77Devil, and the occasional long trek to Wegmans, which will be coming to our vicinity in the near future. Long live Wegmans, though I have no desire to live there. :D

moonpie23
07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm a big VIC guy.....and i'm hoping that HT doesn't deteriorate .......

we were in asheville a couple of weeks ago and ran into a HUGE MEGA - NEW Ingles.........it was awesome.....very HT like, but bigger....maybe they'll come east....

allenmurray
07-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Publix coconut custard pie puts them at the top of all grocery chains. It there was a Publix within 75 miles of my home I'd gain 50 lbs. in a month.

Kimist
07-14-2013, 03:28 PM

I am familiar with Wegmans by having relatives who live in the Finger Lakes area of NY.

Their stores are amazing!

I checked and most of their VA stores are in the general DC area. However, there is apparently one in Fredericksburg, VA.

This link lists where Wegmans' stores will soon be opening: New Stores (http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FAQDetailView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&faqCategory=AboutWegmans#question_11)

Perhaps soon they will reach the Carolinas?

k

YmoBeThere
07-14-2013, 04:21 PM
Here in San Antonio we have HEB. It is good, but I like having a choice. And Wal-mart/Target don't constitute enough choice to me.

DevilAlumna
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Out here, we have QFC, which is Kroger-owned, as well as Fred Meyer (which is more a Target + Groceries type store.) The QFCs I routinely visit are clean, well-maintained, and have good discounts. That said, the Top Food (Haggen's) is 1 mile from my house, and there's a Safeway on the way home from daycare, so those get most of my grocery $$.

aimo
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM

In today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/14/3029400/shaffer-a-lament-for-harris-teeter.html

aimo
07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
BTW, you are incorrect about why it's not a Super WM. the site was originally approved for zoning for a shopping center generating X trips a day. When WalMart came in, they knew that they wouldn't get it rezoned for a bigger store, so they sized their store for the number of trips already approved. Doing anything else would have required a new permit and they didn't want to risk that.

My bad. Just another in the rumor mill, I suppose.

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Mebane = small town life, which has many benefits, but some drawbacks, one of which is few choices. Lowes or Food Lion. Easy call.

Mebane is a growing town. You can also shop at Walmart, but with limited choices of brands.

I remember when Kroger stores closed in Alamance County, and the opening of Harris Teeter stores.

Kimist
07-15-2013, 01:15 PM
In today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/07/14/3029400/shaffer-a-lament-for-harris-teeter.html

These comments from the above N&O article are quite entertaining:

The Teeter's prime milf hunting grounds. And for that they should be saluted.

The Morrocroft Teeter in Charlotte is a cougar hunting preserve. If you know what I mean....:)

The one on "Sharon" Road? I've known a few folks who'd go shopping at the Teeter around one or two in the morning wearing hunting camo. :)

Is it as good as yoga class or wine tastings? No, but unlike those there's no admission fee.

HaveFunExpectToWin
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM

I'm close. I live about 10 min from two Wegmans (one to the west, and one to the east). It's a little excessive.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-15-2013, 05:37 PM
These comments from the above N&O article are quite entertaining:

The Teeter's prime milf hunting grounds. And for that they should be saluted.

The Morrocroft Teeter in Charlotte is a cougar hunting preserve. If you know what I mean....:)

The one on "Sharon" Road? I've known a few folks who'd go shopping at the Teeter around one or two in the morning wearing hunting camo. :)

Is it as good as yoga class or wine tastings? No, but unlike those there's no admission fee.

I didn't read the comments the first time through. Thanks for pointing them out!

I did think this comment would bristle a certain posters beard, though! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

Harris Teeter. It rhymes with Derek Jeter

allenmurray
07-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Mebane is a growing town. You can also shop at Walmart, but with limited choices of brands.

I remember when Kroger stores closed in Alamance County, and the opening of Harris Teeter stores.

I love Mebane. I hate Wal-Mart.

theAlaskanBear
07-16-2013, 07:43 AM
I will be moving away from my beloved Ingles...large clean stores with great layouts and a nice produce/meat section. They have a nice mix of expensive brands and inexpensive brands...and some of the stores here carry local beer...which I will miss most of all.

burnspbesq
07-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Out here, we have QFC, which is Kroger-owned, as well as Fred Meyer (which is more a Target + Groceries type store.) The QFCs I routinely visit are clean, well-maintained, and have good discounts. That said, the Top Food (Haggen's) is 1 mile from my house, and there's a Safeway on the way home from daycare, so those get most of my grocery $$.

QFC is great, much better than Ralph's, the Kroger-owned chain in SoCal. Ralph's produce generally sucks, and Kroger private-label stuff is pretty mediocre. They win because the alternatives (Von's, owned by Safeway, Albertson's, and Wal-Mart) are worse.

Good luck, y'all. Maybe someday Trader Joe's will make it to NC (the nearest one is in Richmond).

BlueDevil2K
07-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Good luck, y'all. Maybe someday Trader Joe's will make it to NC (the nearest one is in Richmond).

There are three in the Triangle - one in Raleigh, one in Cary, and one in Chapel Hill.

theAlaskanBear
07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
There are three in the Triangle - one in Raleigh, one in Cary, and one in Chapel Hill.

Trader Joes around Charlotte too...

aimo
07-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Saw this and I had to laugh. It is a post I made over five years ago in EarlJam's Publix vs Kroger thread. Compare it with my earlier post in this thread. Guess things have not changed on the Kroger front!

From 2/2008: "I hate Kroger. They have the rudest and most incompetent people working for them. I LOVE the Teeter. I realized the difference b/tw the two stores' customer service . . . Harris Teeter's customer service desk is almost always staffed with managers. And managers that actually give a crap. Kroger's is always staffed by some Family Dollar reject with an attitude and no care for quick service. Plus they started selling lottery tickets (which Teeter does not). PLUS 90% of the time I shop at Kroger, something rings up incorrectly. And I am a cheapskate, no I am THRIFTY, so I always get my money back. I just shop less and less at Kroger.

I shop at Publix when I am in Florida. Lots of nice old people working during their retirement. Whether its due to boredom or necessity, I don't know, but they're usually very nice. And Publix's bakery rocks! "

ricks68
08-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Right now, in Asheville, they have a Greenlife (that was bought by Whole Foods) right next to a very new Trader Joe's that is right next to the Harris Teeter (bought by Kroger) that is being built. But, if you just go 4 minutes down the road a bit, you can always drop into the Fresh Market that is right across from the Ingles. Too bad about Harris Teeter, though. The rest are still very good.

ricks

Acymetric
08-02-2013, 06:16 PM
I think people are worrying over nothing...it sounds to me like Harris Teeter is going to continue being Harris Teeter. They aren't going to convert them into Krogers.

DukieInKansas
08-02-2013, 09:22 PM

I love visiting Wegmans when I'm in PA.

msdukie
08-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Right now, in Asheville, they have a Greenlife (that was bought by Whole Foods) right next to a very new Trader Joe's that is right next to the Harris Teeter (bought by Kroger) that is being built. But, if you just go 4 minutes down the road a bit, you can always drop into the Fresh Market that is right across from the Ingles. Too bad about Harris Teeter, though. The rest are still very good.

ricks

They also apparently announced a Publix in Asheville today too.

moonpie23
08-03-2013, 12:46 AM
Publix coming to cary (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/02/3077595/publix-to-open-first-triangle.html)

devildeac
08-03-2013, 06:32 AM
They also apparently announced a Publix in Asheville today too.

Publix coming to cary (http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/02/3077595/publix-to-open-first-triangle.html)

After reading all the comments, it sounds like we need one in north Raleigh, too.

throatybeard
08-03-2013, 12:07 PM

There's even one in Winston-Salem, which is basically a big small town.

allenmurray
08-04-2013, 03:01 PM

But two of those cities are not actually part of North Carolina (Cary and Chapel Hill), and only parts of Raleigh are.

moonpie23
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyy... :mad:

i'm not sure i get your meaning......here in cary.....

devildeac
08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyy... :mad:

i'm not sure i get your meaning......here in cary.....

He probably means this:

Confinement
Area (for)
Retired
Yankees

:o:rolleyes:

devil84
08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
He probably means this:

Confinement
Area (for)
Retired Relocated
Yankees

:o:rolleyes:

Fixed it for you. With a median age of around 36, most of the residents around here haven't retired yet...

devildeac
08-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Fixed it for you. With a median age of around 36, most of the residents around here haven't retired yet...

I knew there was another "translation/interpretation" but just couldn't think of it. Most of the folks I see are 65+:o.

How about this for Clayton, a neighboring community:

Cary
Area
Yankees
Trying
Out
Now

;)

SmartDevil
08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
H-T entered Washington DC proper about 7 years ago, briniging higher regular and sale prices than for our existing supermakets dominated by the mismanaged-by-corporate Safeway and Giant.

The H-T prices are simply not worth the extra money. I've also had problems with the family getting sick from their chicken two times. No more H-T chicken (or meat) for us.

The produce is much better displayed at H-T but essentially the same quality but at premium prices.

The only time we stop by H-T now is if there's a birthday or special event coming up and we want to check out the bakery dessert shop. But we seldom buy. Just an example: $5 plus for some cupcakes. Come on. I won't pay that on principle.

We try now to do most of our shopping at Costco (especially since we found a new Costco which isn't packed like crazy). I'll once in a blue moon go to Trader Joe's, particulalry during the last two months of the year.

I avoid Whole Foods. Unable to communicate with many of the employees including at times the "manager" on duty. Also have observed Third World food handling practices multiple times at WF.

But we'd die to have a Wegman's in the city !!

aimo
08-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Actually, it's

CONTAINMENT
Area for
Relocated
Yankees.

There's a difference.

SmartDevil
08-07-2013, 04:46 PM
The only time we stop by H-T now is if there's a birthday or special event coming up and we want to check out the bakery dessert shop. But we seldom buy. Just an example: $5 plus for some cupcakes. Come on. I won't pay that on principle. Edit: That's $5 or $6+ PER cupcake for some of their cupcakes.

devildeac
08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
The only time we stop by H-T now is if there's a birthday or special event coming up and we want to check out the bakery dessert shop. But we seldom buy. Just an example: $5 plus for some cupcakes. Come on. I won't pay that on principle. Edit: That's $5 or $6+ PER cupcake for some of their cupcakes.

That is indeed pretty spendy for a cupcake. You can go to a gourmet bakery/cupcake shop and expect to spend about $4 each for fancy topped/iced/filled cupcakes.

moonpie23
08-07-2013, 09:41 PM
i am NOT a relocated yankee......or any other kind...

-jk
08-08-2013, 12:49 AM
i am NOT a relocated yankee......or any other kind...

You have to look deep inside yourself. Do you live in Cary? What does that really say about your values? Or your chosen community? :)

-jk

moonpie23
08-08-2013, 07:41 AM
I DO live in cary, mainly because, after scouring the internet for houses, and actually visiting over 20 homes, we found one that was unique in it's structure and location. We had actually been eliminating houses BECAUSE they were in cary until this one flashed on the screen. I stopped at it and my wife said "no, that's in cary", so we moved on....i kept coming back to it and took the little online tour.

when we decided to come see the house, we were inside of it for 10 minutes and decided that it was exactly what we were looking for. It's within walking distance to just about everything except a movie theater. (but just a short drive away). Beautiful wooded lot, in an older (early 80's) neighborhood and we love it.......we never thought we'd actually BE residents of "cary", but we've come to really love where we live. I'm 18 minutes from my studio. The parks and other city perks are excellent....Our daughter's day care was 200 yards from our house...Her magnet school is 300 yards away.

My handicapped son, can ride C-Tran to his work and volunteer job with the YMCA for $2/ trip.....they come to the house and pick him up, then pick him up from work and bring him back to the house. They will take seniors and handicapped persons to anywhere in the triangle for $6.00

I think a lot of cary badmouthing is totally unwarranted....

devil84
08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I DO live in cary, mainly because, after scouring the internet for houses, and actually visiting over 20 homes, we found one that was unique in it's structure and location. We had actually been eliminating houses BECAUSE they were in cary until this one flashed on the screen. I stopped at it and my wife said "no, that's in cary", so we moved on....i kept coming back to it and took the little online tour.

I think a lot of cary badmouthing is totally unwarranted....

I agree with you, Moonpie. I'm also a resident of the Containment area. I went to high school and college in Durham (born in Chicago, though) -- some call me a "native -- or close enough these days." Cary has some very, very nice things, like all the amenities that you mentioned. There are some problems, too...it's hard to find a brand-name store when the signage rules don't allow for them to use their corporate colors, homogenous subdivisions controlled by (sometimes crazy) HOAs, sometimes a little too "planned" leaving it a little vanilla. But what's wrong with vanilla? And why pick on Cary? There are a lot of little boom towns like this in the Triangle.

We chose Cary because it was halfway between the downtown workplace and my parents' home (Dad was alive then and we wanted to be close enough to help care for him). It's a nice place to live (if you like lovely homes built on top of each other) and play. Are there better places to live? Sure (I'm thinking Chatham County out by the American Tobacco Trail, now that the nest is emptying and we spend a lot of time there road cycling and running -- and the homes don't have crazy HOAs nor do you see into the windows of 14 homes from your house...but that's just me). But there are worse places to live, too.

Moonpie, you're lucky with the schools. For middle school, my kids were able to go to school a little closer, but for elementary and high school, they were inside the beltline in Raleigh. I didn't have a problem with the schools as they were good schools (well, the middle school wasn't great), but the drive was frustrating when I knew that so many other schools were closer.

The diversity of Cary (those relocated Yankees) does seem to help bring outside chains like Trader Joe's and Publix to Cary where the established demographic is "generally educated families with extra disposable income and who aren't from around here and want the amenities of wherever it was they left." We also get some pretty nice ethnic markets and restaurants, too. It's a good place to raise a family, but now I'm finding I'd really like to leave the crazy HOA subdivision lifestyle for something out in the country.

moonpie23
08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
with extra disposable income

i've heard this term before, but i can't understand what it actually is...... :rolleyes:

devil84
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
with extra disposable income

i've heard this term before, but i can't understand what it actually is...... :rolleyes:

Haha...if "disposable" means "single use," I've got lots of income that is used only once, most of it on extraneous stuff like a mortgage, utilities, food, and college tuition for my child (though I have a one year reprieve from that this year).

Maybe "extra disposable" means it flies out of my wallet before I've even had a chance to figure out where to spend it??!!

SmartDevil
08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=SmartDevil;661732]

That is indeed pretty spendy for a cupcake. You can go to a gourmet bakery/cupcake shop and expect to spend about $4 each for fancy topped/iced/filled cupcakes.

Perhaps they are less expensive in NC but at my local HT in DC the nice cupcakes go for $5-6. And some of the one-portion desserts in the bakery case are even more expensive.

Jim3k
08-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Back, sort of, to the discussion about the differing merits of various supermarket chains.

Fiscal Times in April posted a list of the twelve worst supermarket chains--a veritable rush to the bottom. (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/04/13/The-12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx#page1) If you live in any of the affected areas where these chains can be found, you can vote with your feet, in or out. Or, you can face off with the store manager and demand improvement. [Most of you will choose the former.]

budwom
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Back, sort of, to the discussion about the differing merits of various supermarket chains.

Fiscal Times in April posted a list of the twelve worst supermarket chains--a veritable rush to the bottom. (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/04/13/The-12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx#page1) If you live in any of the affected areas where these chains can be found, you can vote with your feet, in or out. Or, you can face off with the store manager and demand improvement. [Most of you will choose the former.]

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases (locations) there are few alternatives to these stores, which is the primary reason they're still in bidness.

burnspbesq
08-15-2013, 04:44 PM

I think Ralph's was unfairly singled out in that article. All the supermarkets in SoCal suck.

Bob Green
10-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Due to the government shutdown, the commissary is closed so this thread just became relevant.

sagegrouse
10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Due to the government shutdown, the commissary is closed so this thread just became relevant.

Why are the commissaries closed? We used to describe the commissaries and exchanges as "non-appropriated fund" activities (NAF). This meant, I think, the the government provided the building (usually pretty basic) and the commissary sold its product at just enough margin to cover the labor and other direct costs.

Since the problem is "no appropriated funds," I don't understand how "non-appropriated fund" activities are affected. But then, there was always a lot I didn't understand.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
10-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Why are the commissaries closed? We used to describe the commissaries and exchanges as "non-appropriated fund" activities (NAF).

You're correct about the exchanges, but not the commissaries which are run with appropriated funds. The employees are government workers who are on Leave Without Pay until the government reopens.