PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Greenwell

wandalee
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM
She needs another surgery on her knee (this will be her 3rd). I sure would hate to lose her for the season, but it doesn't look too good.http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x177810738/Top-Duke-womens-hoops-recruit-Greenwell-to-undergo-surgery

weezie
07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Gosh, that is sad news. I'm nursing my personally worthless knee and the thought of a young athlete dealing with such pain is sad. I wish her nothing but good luck!

CameronBornAndBred
07-10-2013, 08:52 AM
The recovery time for the meniscus repair is four months, which would stretch to November when Duke’s season will begin. But Greenwell’s recovery from her second ACL surgery wouldn’t have been completed by then anyway.
But her status for this season remains uncertain and the decision for another surgery only makes it more likely she could miss the upcoming season.

That sucks, but the silver lining is that we should be returning everyone else from last year healthy. Remember, we only lost Vernerey, so our team will be loaded. It sounds like this would be a prime situation to redshirt Becca and allow her to fully heal before she sees the court. I still hate it for her though.

jimsumner
07-10-2013, 02:22 PM
That sucks, but the silver lining is that we should be returning everyone else from last year healthy. Remember, we only lost Vernerey, so our team will be loaded. It sounds like this would be a prime situation to redshirt Becca and allow her to fully heal before she sees the court. I still hate it for her though.

Minor quibble but Duke also lost reserve Sierra Moore, who transferred.

The good news is that Duke shouldn't need much from the Greenwell next season.

The bad news is that Duke will need her in 2014-15. Gray, Liston, Jackson and Wells are all seniors next season and it would be better to plug in a somewhat experienced Greenwell at one of the wings instead of an inexperienced Greenwell.

wandalee
07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
I had not heard about Sierra transferring. Where did she go? And do we know anything about the status of Amber Henson and Katie Heckman?

Lid
07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Haley's a senior, too, so that's one more giant, tough piece to lose. I really hope Greenwell can get some time this year.

I'm no insider, so I don't know how significant it is, but Katie Heckman has been at camp some this week. She's well enough that they're letting her be around small children that are easy to trip over. I haven't seen Amber Henson.

There was some controversy about Sierra's transfer, but I don't know if it was discussed here. Apparently she requested and was denied a transfer to Louisville. Her AAU coach threw was displeased. I'm not sure where she ended up.

msdukie
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Haley's a senior, too, so that's one more giant, tough piece to lose. I really hope Greenwell can get some time this year.

I'm no insider, so I don't know how significant it is, but Katie Heckman has been at camp some this week. She's well enough that they're letting her be around small children that are easy to trip over. I haven't seen Amber Henson.

There was some controversy about Sierra's transfer, but I don't know if it was discussed here. Apparently she requested and was denied a transfer to Louisville. Her AAU coach threw was displeased. I'm not sure where she ended up.

Penn State

CameronBornAndBred
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
That would not surprise me, since Louisville is going to be a member of the ACC. Most schools don't allow intraconference transfers.

Duvall
07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
That would not surprise me, since Louisville is going to be a member of the ACC. Most schools don't allow intraconference transfers.

Most programs don't, but some programs are confident enough to allow it. (http://suathletics.syr.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=9478)

CameronBornAndBred
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Most programs don't, but some programs are confident enough to allow it. (http://suathletics.syr.edu/roster.aspx?rp_id=9478)
He transferred before Syracuse was in Swofford's crosshairs. However, I wonder if K's and Boeheim's relationship would have made it still possible.

Duvall
07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
He transferred before Syracuse was in Swofford's crosshairs. However, I wonder if K's and Boeheim's relationship would have made it still possible.

No, he transferred seven months *after* Syracuse agreed to join the ACC. But I don't doubt that K and Boeheim's friendship was a factor.

cmccoy11
07-11-2013, 10:04 AM

I don't think that is correct. I seem to remember the ACC accepting Cuse in the fall of 2011 and then Gbinije transferring at the end of that season..

Edit: beat to it

CameronBornAndBred
07-11-2013, 10:06 AM
No, he transferred seven months *after* Syracuse agreed to join the ACC. But I don't doubt that K and Boeheim's friendship was a factor.
Ahh...ok. I didn't realize they had made that agreement that long ago...time flies. Thanks for the correction.