PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 MBB Roster Notes

roywhite
07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Goduke.com has the 2013-2014 roster (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22727) with some interesting height/weight info.

Jabari Parker at 6'8" 235
Alex Murphy at 6'9" 230
Amile Jefferson at 6'9" 210
Marshall Plumlee at 7'0" 260

BD80
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Goduke.com has the 2013-2014 roster (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22727) with some interesting height/weight info.

Alex Murphy at 6'9" 230

Semi - 6'7" and apparently immune to Earth's gravity!

MChambers
07-08-2013, 09:56 AM

Alex Murphy at 6'9" 230

No cinder block measurements?

Dev11
07-08-2013, 11:34 AM
There's a new Pagliuca on the team? Awesome

Listen to Quants
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Alex Murphy at 6'9" 230

Hmm, I am hoping like heck that Jefferson has really grown an inch since last year but since Thornton, Cook, Hariston, and Dawkins are all listed as an inch over last year's listings, it may be the rounding algorithm or something like it has changed. It is also conceivable that this is real growth as these are young men, although Hariston, Thornton and Dawkins had been stable (in listed height) their entire time at Duke.

Kedsy
07-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I am hoping like heck that Jefferson has really grown an inch since last year but since Thornton, Cook, Hariston, and Dawkins are all listed as an inch over last year's listings, it may be the rounding algorithm or something like it has changed. It is also conceivable that this is real growth as these are young men, although Hariston, Thornton and Dawkins had been stable (in listed height) their entire time at Duke.

Also Alex and Marshall, meaning 7 of our 8 returning scholarship players are listed as having grown an inch (everyone but Rasheed). My guess would be something like the old measurements were in bare feet and the new measurements are in shoes.

roywhite
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Also Alex and Marshall, meaning 7 of our 8 returning scholarship players are listed as having grown an inch (everyone but Rasheed). My guess would be something like the old measurements were in bare feet and the new measurements are in shoes.

Yeah, could well be, and Marshall got some sneakers that weighed a lot. :)

Or, as Jay Bilas observed in a very funny clip, Marshall seems to snack often.

Listen to Quants
07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

Shall I quibble? Todd Z is a returning scholarship player and has been stable in listing for a few years, but yeah, the basic point is the method seems to have changed.

Saratoga2
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Shall I quibble? Todd Z is a returning scholarship player and has been stable in listing for a few years, but yeah, the basic point is the method seems to have changed.

While they can be overstated, Mason was indeed measured at 6'11 1/4 inch in the pre draft camp (thats stocking feet) and Marshall seemed at least as tall, so 7' is believable. Who knows about Alex. He appeared closer to 6'8" to me if not a little shorted. The rest seem plausible.

mgtr
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Do we have comparable numbers for Rodney Hood?

Kedsy
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Sorry, I meant returning recruited scholarship players.

CDu
07-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Do we have comparable numbers for Rodney Hood?

Yes, the GoDuke site has height/weight of all the players. Hood is listed at 6'8" 215.

jipops
07-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Alex Murphy at 6'9" 230

We've just been speculating on actual heights, but to me the bolded part is one of the more interesting developments. That's a big dude.

mattman91
07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
We've just been speculating on actual heights, but to me the bolded part is one of the more interesting developments. That's a big dude.

Now I don't feel so bad about gaining 40 pounds since November.

Indoor66
07-08-2013, 06:16 PM

All muscle, I presume? :cool:

Turtleboy
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
It all turns to muscle after midnight.

mattman91
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Well, it isn't beer

Listen to Quants
07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry, I meant returning recruited scholarship players.lol, now I'll quibble some more, for my amusement, I doubt I'm providing you any value. Rodney Hood was recruited fairly heavily, I think, although I don't know if Duke was in the chase when he was in h.s., 6' 8" both years.

Kedsy
07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
lol, now I'll quibble some more, for my amusement, I doubt I'm providing you any value. Rodney Hood was recruited fairly heavily, I think, although I don't know if Duke was in the chase when he was in h.s., 6' 8" both years.

Well, I suppose we can quibble about whether he is "returning," since he's never played a minute for Duke. For the purposes of this discussion, though, I'd say he'd count if his official measurements came from Duke but not if they just used Mississippi's State's numbers. I don't know the answer to that.

Double DD
07-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Parker was at the Nike Kevin Durant Skills Academy at the end of June and was measured in shoes at 6'8.5" 240. It looks like the team might have split the difference between his height in bare feet and shoes for the official listing.

BTW, Grayson Allen was also at the camp and measured in at 6'4.5" 189.

Olympic Fan
07-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Just for discussion about the accuracy of Duke's listed heights. For another site, I checked the listed heights for Duke's future pros and compared their Duke listing with their NBA listing. *I only went back to the 2001 season, but that gave me a big sample size.

I found 19 players who were listed exactly the same in the NBA as they were at Duke. I found three players there were listed an inch taller in the NBA than at Duke. I found no player listed shorter in the NBA than at Duke.

The three disparities -- Elliot Williams was 6-4 at Duke and 6-5 in the NBA (after a year at Memphis); Gerald Henderson was 6-4 as a junior at Duke and 6-5 in the NBA; Mason Plumlee was 6-10 as a senior at Duke and just measured 6-11 in the NBA.

I think the evidence is that Duke's heights are reasonably accurate.

loran16
07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Is it just me or are those really heavy measurements.

On our championship team in 2010, our only rotation players bigger than 230 were Miles and Zoubek. This year we have 3 - Parker, Hairston and Marshall and a bunch of 230 guys.

gwlaw99
07-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Surprised no one talking about Marshall weighing 260. That is a pretty big weight gain considering he was 235 last year.

roywhite
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Yeah, could well be, and Marshall got some sneakers that weighed a lot. :)

Or, as Jay Bilas observed in a very funny clip, Marshall seems to snack often.

Surprised no one talking about Marshall weighing 260. That is a pretty big weight gain considering he was 235 last year.

Well, there has been some talk about it.

Could be a positive for Marshall to have more bulk...let's hope much of it is muscle.
There's certainly an opportunity for Marshall to earn some time if he can provide rebounding and interior defense.

brevity
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Could be a positive for Marshall to have more bulk...let's hope much of it is muscle.

Muscle would be nice, I guess, but 25 pounds of fat will also come in handy if Marshall ever needs to stomach-bump Kennedy Meeks out of the paint.

Duvall
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Is it just me or are those really heavy measurements.

On our championship team in 2010, our only rotation players bigger than 230 were Miles and Zoubek. This year we have 3 - Parker, Hairston and Marshall and a bunch of 230 guys.

It's just you. Average weight for scholarship players in 2010 was 214.5, average weight in 2014 is 215.8. And that's with two players coming off of serious foot injuries the previous year.

sagegrouse
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, there has been some talk about it.

There's certainly an opportunity for Marshall to earn some time if he can provide rebounding and interior defense.

You've heard of "coach speak?" You know: "Marshall was the sixth-bsest player in preseason practice." "Rodney was the best player in team practices this year." This may be a case of "coach write." perhaps the weight target for Marshall is 260 pounds, as set by the coaching staff. To show they mean it, they put the number in the official roster.

sagegrouse

roywhite
07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
You've heard of "coach speak?" You know: "Marshall was the sixth-bsest player in preseason practice." "Rodney was the best player in team practices this year." This may be a case of "coach write." perhaps the weight target for Marshall is 260 pounds, as set by the coaching staff. To show they mean it, they put the number in the official roster.

sagegrouse

Marshall seems to be working toward that goal

Marshall Plumlee talks with Jay Bilas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UDmYIUgyM8&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9KCzNMmf0IRcEIsFDgt2bg)

Already posted in another thread, I think, but it's good stuff....and Marshall does look big.

loran16
07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
It's just you. Average weight for scholarship players in 2010 was 214.5, average weight in 2014 is 215.8. And that's with two players coming off of serious foot injuries the previous year.

Would love to see that average weighted for player time (Mason barely played, brings average up), but you're probably right.

Listen to Quants
07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Just for discussion about the accuracy of Duke's listed heights. For another site, I checked the listed heights for Duke's future pros and compared their Duke listing with their NBA listing. *I only went back to the 2001 season, but that gave me a big sample size.

I found 19 players who were listed exactly the same in the NBA as they were at Duke. I found three players there were listed an inch taller in the NBA than at Duke. I found no player listed shorter in the NBA than at Duke.

The three disparities -- Elliot Williams was 6-4 at Duke and 6-5 in the NBA (after a year at Memphis); Gerald Henderson was 6-4 as a junior at Duke and 6-5 in the NBA; Mason Plumlee was 6-10 as a senior at Duke and just measured 6-11 in the NBA.

I think the evidence is that Duke's heights are reasonably accurate.

Thanks for this. That is much better than anecdotes. I presume you have some consistent listed heights, as I have seen Mason mentioned as 7' and 6' 10" (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/mason_plumlee/) both as a pro (the 7' was with shoes of course, the 6' 10" profile does not have a "methods section." :)

My interest is, typically, in how the Duke players will fare against their opponents. So, if Parker is really 6' 8.5" in normal basketball shoes when ready to play (as opposed to some 2 inch height maximizers worn to day of measurements-in-shoes) and the opponents center or pf is listed as 7' 0" that sounds like a mismatch. It might turn out though that Parker's measurements are real and the opponent is really 6' 10" under the same measurement conditions as Parker so the mismatch is greatly exaggerated.

Do you know if the pro listings you grabbed are 'with shoes' or 'with socks only'? It is pretty clear that we-on-this-board do not know how the Duke heights are measured.

CDu
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Would love to see that average weighted for player time (Mason barely played, brings average up), but you're probably right.

Mason played as much or more than any of Hairston, Murphy, and Ojeleye will likely play (perhaps even combined on a per-game basis).

NSDukeFan
07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Mason played as much or more than any of Hairston, Murphy, and Ojeleye will likely play (perhaps even combined on a per-game basis).

Mason averaged 14mpg in 2010. Hairston and Murphy combined to average over 18 last year. Are you expecting their minutes to drop a lot this year and for Semi to have no impact? Certainly possible, with thin bench and all, but I am expecting those three to average at least 25 next year.

CDu
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Mason averaged 14mpg in 2010. Hairston and Murphy combined to average over 18 last year. Are you expecting their minutes to drop a lot this year and for Semi to have no impact? Certainly possible, with thin bench and all, but I am expecting those three to average at least 25 next year.

Slight nitpick, but Hairston and Murphy actually combined to average just under 18 mpg last year (taking into account the healthy scratches for each) compared to Mason's 14.1 (I didn't discount his averages because his missed games were due to injury, not coach's decision). I would not be at all surprised to see Murphy's minutes disappear with the additions of Hood, Dawkins, and Parker. And I'd expect Hairston's minutes to stay about the same thanks to (1) an improved Jefferson and (2) the arrival of Parker. And I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ojeleye gets any significant run, due to the aforementioned guys.

I could very easily see that trio averaging no more than 15-20 mpg. I'm envisioning something along the lines of the following:

Cook 30+ mpg
Sulaimon 30+ mpg
Thornton 15-20 mpg
Dawkins 15-20 mpg
Hood 30+ mpg
Jefferson 25-30 mpg
Parker 30+ mpg
Plumlee 5-10 mpg
Hairston/Murphy/Ojeleye/Jones 15-20 mpg

Now, it's certainly possible that some of the guys in that slash section step up and force more playing time for themselves. But I could very easily see Coach K settling into a 7-man rotation with 1-2 additional guys filling in spot minutes as needed. And if he does go that route (he certainly has a tendency to do so), I'd guess that at least two of Hairston/Murphy/Ojeleye to be among the guys on the outside looking in.

Kedsy
07-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Slight nitpick, but Hairston and Murphy actually combined to average just under 18 mpg last year (taking into account the healthy scratches for each) compared to Mason's 14.1 (I didn't discount his averages because his missed games were due to injury, not coach's decision). I would not be at all surprised to see Murphy's minutes disappear with the additions of Hood, Dawkins, and Parker. And I'd expect Hairston's minutes to stay about the same thanks to (1) an improved Jefferson and (2) the arrival of Parker. And I'll be pleasantly surprised if Ojeleye gets any significant run, due to the aforementioned guys.

I could very easily see that trio averaging no more than 15-20 mpg. I'm envisioning something along the lines of the following:

Cook 30+ mpg
Sulaimon 30+ mpg
Thornton 15-20 mpg
Dawkins 15-20 mpg
Hood 30+ mpg
Jefferson 25-30 mpg
Parker 30+ mpg
Plumlee 5-10 mpg
Hairston/Murphy/Ojeleye/Jones 15-20 mpg

Now, it's certainly possible that some of the guys in that slash section step up and force more playing time for themselves. But I could very easily see Coach K settling into a 7-man rotation with 1-2 additional guys filling in spot minutes as needed. And if he does go that route (he certainly has a tendency to do so), I'd guess that at least two of Hairston/Murphy/Ojeleye to be among the guys on the outside looking in.

I agree and would go further. I expect the top 7 to be Quinn/Rasheed/Tyler/Andre/Rodney/Amile/Jabari. I'll be surprised if (absent injury) those seven aggregate fewer than 180 minutes a game. Which means Marshall/Josh/Alex/Semi/Matt would aggregate no more than 20 minutes among the five of them (and quite possibly less). Having said that, players 8 through 12 may get more run in November/December, but they also might get even less run from January through March.

So, to directly respond to NSDukeFan's assertion, I'd be very (albeit pleasantly) surprised if (absent an injury to one of our top 7 guys) Josh/Alex/Semi "average at least 25" mpg in 2013-14.

(Although having said that, I suppose it's possible that one of those three beat out Amile for 2nd big in the rotation (though I don't think it's likely). If that happens, then I would amend my statement to substitute Amile for whomever replaces him and say the amended trio will average fewer than 25mpg.)