PDA

View Full Version : Dante Exum - a unique recruiting story

JasonEvans
07-06-2013, 06:41 PM
So, I happened to be looking into how Rasheed Suliamon was doing at the FIBA U19 World Championships and I came across a couple stories talking about the kid who has probably been the most impressive player at the games, Dante Exum. He is from Australia and if that last name rings a bell it is because his father, Cecil Exum, played at UNC back in the early 80s. In fact, thanks to Michael Jordan's jumpshot and James Worthy being in the wrong place at the right time, Cecil wears a big UNC national championship ring.

Dante has been so impressive thus far, many are saying he has vaulted himself to the top of the lottery of the 2014 draft, should he decide to come out then. Many are saying he would be the #3 or #4 pick in the 2014 draft. Very impressive.

So, what makes this recruiting story interesting? Well, because Dante is going to high school in Australia, he will graduate in December. That means he could join a college team at the start of the second semester, in January, and then declare for the NBA draft after playing just half a season. It means he could seriously alter the college hoops landscape at mid-season.

And, interestingly, UNC has not started recruiting him yet, even though his mother and father both went to Carolina. So far, Indiana is going after him the hardest with Michigan, Louisville, Kentucky, and Georgetown also in the hunt. I suspect more schools will look Dante up though, after his performance at the FIBA U19 event.

Anyway, I just thought he deserved a special mention because he could arrive on campus in January. In theory, he could see how some teams were doing through December and where they had needs (he's a 6-5 PG/SG) and then pick a team he might help push over the top to a national title. Pretty interesting recruiting situation, eh?

-Jason "he talks like he is going to go to the 2015 draft (http://zagsblog.com/articles/dante-exum-likes-indiana-will-take-other-visits/), play college for a year and a half, but if his stock is at the top of the 2014 draft then I suspect he will head pro quickly!" Evans

subzero02
07-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Intriguing to say the least... I can't imagine the midseason impact this would have on an individual team's chemistry or the college landscape in general.

lotusland
07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Intriguing to say the least... I can't imagine the midseason impact this would have on an individual team's chemistry or the college landscape in general.

Calipari will take him so he can crow about launching him to the lottery after only a few months of his tutelage

Duvall
07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Wait, does UNC need a guard or something?

dukelifer
07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
So, I happened to be looking into how Rasheed Suliamon was doing at the FIBA U19 World Championships and I came across a couple stories talking about the kid who has probably been the most impressive player at the games, Dante Exum. He is from Australia and if that last name rings a bell it is because his father, Cecil Exum, played at UNC back in the early 80s. In fact, thanks to Michael Jordan's jumpshot and James Worthy being in the wrong place at the right time, Cecil wears a big UNC national championship ring.

Dante has been so impressive thus far, many are saying he has vaulted himself to the top of the lottery of the 2014 draft, should he decide to come out then. Many are saying he would be the #3 or #4 pick in the 2014 draft. Very impressive.

So, what makes this recruiting story interesting? Well, because Dante is going to high school in Australia, he will graduate in December. That means he could join a college team at the start of the second semester, in January, and then declare for the NBA draft after playing just half a season. It means he could seriously alter the college hoops landscape at mid-season.

And, interestingly, UNC has not started recruiting him yet, even though his mother and father both went to Carolina. So far, Indiana is going after him the hardest with Michigan, Louisville, Kentucky, and Georgetown also in the hunt. I suspect more schools will look Dante up though, after his performance at the FIBA U19 event.

Anyway, I just thought he deserved a special mention because he could arrive on campus in January. In theory, he could see how some teams were doing through December and where they had needs (he's a 6-5 PG/SG) and then pick a team he might help push over the top to a national title. Pretty interesting recruiting situation, eh?

-Jason "he talks like he is going to go to the 2015 draft (http://zagsblog.com/articles/dante-exum-likes-indiana-will-take-other-visits/), play college for a year and a half, but if his stock is at the top of the 2014 draft then I suspect he will head pro quickly!" Evans
Hard to believe he is not on UNC's radar. Perhaps there are some academic issues. The kid looks very smooth. His jumper is shaky but he can get to the rim when he wants. He is a bit thin for the NBA but has great length. It will be interesting to see what happens.

arnie
07-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Hard to believe he is not on UNC's radar. Perhaps there are some academic issues. The kid looks very smooth. His jumper is shaky but he can get to the rim when he wants. He is a bit thin for the NBA but has great length. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Academic issues?? Are his grades too good for Roy?

nmduke2001
07-07-2013, 09:02 AM
It seems like more of a risk for Dante than it does for any school. If he's already a top five draft pick, why take the chance of playing poorly for a few months and negatively impacting his draft status?

In addition, I know that the "student-athlete" doesn't exist in bball much anymore, but this just mocks the notion.

DukeWarhead
07-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I know that the "student-athlete" doesn't exist in bball much anymore, but this just mocks the notion.

Actually, the majority of college basketball players are genuine student athletes. It's just the NBA targets with the dollar symbol hanging over their heads that seem to defy the notion.
Sorry to open a line of discussion that's totally irrelevant to the Dante Exum discussion. My bad.

BD80
07-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Actually, the majority of college basketball players are genuine student athletes. It's just the NBA targets with the dollar symbol hanging over their heads that seem to defy the notion.
Sorry to open a line of discussion that's totally irrelevant to the Dante Exum discussion. My bad.

"Student-athlete" is only totally irrelevant from the tarheel recruitment perspective. I hear Exum has already qualified for his unc degree (but so has my dog) because he got extra credit for no-show classes by being on a different continent. He will have to enroll for a graduate program; I've heard a lot about unc's dental program recently ...

DukeWarhead
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
"Student-athlete" is only totally irrelevant from the tarheel recruitment perspective. I hear Exum has already qualified for his unc degree (but so has my dog) because he got extra credit for no-show classes by being on a different continent. He will have to enroll for a graduate program; I've heard a lot about unc's dental program recently ...

Oh, Snap!