PDA

View Full Version : New Duke website design...

godukerocks
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey guys,
Just seen that goduke.com has a new layout and design.....your thoughts on it?...It's good for me except it's taking a bit longer to go from page to page...

Jarhead
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Looks a little spastic to me. Perhaps designed in a third grade web design class. More than a couple of things wrong with it. Layout and organization? Amateurish. On screen text? Black on a very dark blue screen makes it unreadable. Image stability? It jumps around too much with no rhythm. I do not like it at all. (http://www.goduke.com/)

tombrady
08-24-2007, 06:34 PM
They need to get the same people who designed duke.com to do goduke -- clearly not the same group -- way too busy.

Not sure about the black on a dark blue screen part though -- i don't see that.

Bluedawg
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
They need to get the same people who designed duke.com to do goduke -- clearly not the same group -- way too busy.

Not sure about the black on a dark blue screen part though -- i don't see that.

What duke.com? here is what i get when i go to it.

duke.com is coming soon!

Welcome to your new Internet domain! Our Web Site will be online soon. Thank you for your patience while we build our site. Please visit us again.

Highlander
08-24-2007, 08:11 PM
What duke.com? here is what i get when i go to it.

I think he meant duke.edu

Bluedawg
08-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I think he meant duke.edu

That one works, but its kind of boring...isn't it?

PallasAthena
08-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Looks a little spastic to me. Perhaps designed in a third grade web design class. More than a couple of things wrong with it. Layout and organization? Amateurish. On screen text? Black on a very dark blue screen makes it unreadable. Image stability? It jumps around too much with no rhythm. I do not like it at all. (http://www.goduke.com/)
I have the unreadable version from inside AOL. The website is readable -- but awfully "busy" in IE.

1Devil
08-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Agree with others, that like the former version, this one is too busy. They seem to want to convey that there's just an incredible amount of information to share, but they need to get over that.

Seems to malfunction severely with IE6. Firefox 1.06 works fine. Haven't yet tried IE7 or other Firefox versions.

godukerocks
08-25-2007, 05:51 PM
When going from page to page on the site, the page will load, go blank for a moment, and then show up again. It's getting really annoying; is this what you all are talking about when you see it malfunctions on IE6, or whatever that is?

Jarhead
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I have Firefox 2.0.0.6, and it doesn't work. I tried IE7, and it seems to work, but it is slow reacting. I wonder if the slide show us sending too many bits down the pipe. Actually it seems okay, but they need to make it work in Firefox. I am not going to switch to IE7, so I am not going to go to Goduke.com unless they make it work in Firefox.

mgtr
08-25-2007, 06:34 PM
The overall effect is nervous or jumpy. Probably the auto slideshow is responsible for some of it.

-jk
08-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I have Firefox 2.0.0.6, and it doesn't work. I tried IE7, and it seems to work, but it is slow reacting. I wonder if the slide show us sending too many bits down the pipe. Actually it seems okay, but they need to make it work in Firefox. I am not going to switch to IE7, so I am not going to go to Goduke.com unless they make it work in Firefox.

I looked around the site with Firefox 2.0.0.6, and it worked fine. Perhaps one of your plugins is misbehaving? As I recall, you also had trouble with the survey that also worked from my machine. I don't run many plugins, just Adblock, BugMeNot, Fasterfox, and IE View.

From a design perspective, it seems to me rather busy and a bit sluggish, but I found the info I was looking for relatively easily.

-jk

1Devil
08-26-2007, 09:07 AM
...is this what you all are talking about when you see it malfunctions on IE6, or whatever that is?

Yes. For me the page shows up briefly, then disappears and doesn't come back. This is when using Internet Explorer 6. IE7 works fine.

msdukie
08-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I had the same problem w/ IE6, though it appears to be working today.

Also, when GoDuke e-mails you the stories, the pictures weren't working right and the headers were all missing. Most of these problems appear to be fixed today as well.

The site is too "busy" though.

coblue
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
That about sums it up.

Looks like a student project.

Not refined and visualy sound.

godukerocks
08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
If for any of you, when you switch pages and it doesn't come up, just run your mouse over one of the icons or links on top and the page will usually reappear.

Jarhead
08-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Just noticed that goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com) has solved my problem, without any help from me. Now it actually looks pretty good to me.

Indoor66
08-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Just noticed that goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com) has solved my problem, without any help from me. Now it actually looks pretty good to me.

I have always thought the site was too busy. I have trouble seeing anything for seeing too much.