PDA

View Full Version : Theory/Speculation/Conjecture for Origin of GTHc, GTH.

devildeac
07-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I've got historical "proof;)." Let's hear your thoughts and stories.

OldPhiKap
07-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I've got historical "proof;)." Let's hear your thoughts and stories.

It's in the Bible somewhere, I'm pretty sure. At least, it's in the version I got at the baccalaureate ceremony in the Chapel.

devildeac
07-05-2013, 09:32 AM
It's in the Bible somewhere, I'm pretty sure. At least, it's in the version I got at the baccalaureate ceremony in the Chapel.

That's a good start.

jdj4duke
07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Befitting the holiday, GTHc was a little known codicil to the Declaration of Independence. And as also befitting the events of the last year or so over there, it was successfully covered up and ignored until about 1924.

Jarhead
07-05-2013, 10:20 AM

That's a good start.

It all started back in the day when Helms meat packers declared Carolina national champions in basketball. Fans from UNCCH had gathered at Five Points to celebrate, since Franklin Street was a muddy road. Some Trinity students heading to the Palms for dinner noticed the crowd, and began chanting, "Go to the hill, y'all whiners, go to the hill." By the time they they had finished it had become this wish, "Go to he11, Carolina, go to he11!" Now, though, it may have changed to a thankful, "Gone to he11, Carolina, gone to he11!"

DU82
07-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I assumed it was said by the first Duke fan to sit next to a Carolina fan at a sporting event, after having to listen to said Carolina fan during the contest.

Indoor66
07-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Gutenberg had the first printed rendition.

brevity
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM

I still have my copy. (Forgive the passive voice.)

But there were also false students among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce false educations, even denying the taxpayers who bought them — bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute, replacing it with their way, glorified only by themselves. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated grades. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. For if they were not spared when they sinned, but were cast down to hell, dragged by their heels and put in chains of darkness to be held for judgment.

So there you go. I'm still looking for the connection between "Give us this day our daily bread" and the corruption of the Helms Bakery.

devildeac
07-05-2013, 06:19 PM

But there were also false students among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce false educations, even denying the taxpayers who bought them — bringing swift destruction on themselves. Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute, replacing it with their way, glorified only by themselves. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated grades. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. For if they were not spared when they sinned, but were cast down to hell, dragged by their heels and put in chains of darkness to be held for judgment.

So there you go. I'm still looking for the connection between "Give us this day our daily bread" and the corruption of the Helms Bakery.

Impressive and pretty convincing. Book? Chapter? Verse? (;))

An excellent effort and worthy of some pitchfork points (if I'm allowed:o). But not quite.

Capn Poptart
07-05-2013, 06:47 PM
I would guess that this chant was a logical extension of the phrase "To hell with Carolina!" that has been traditionally inserted into the song "Blue and White." That song was written in the late 1920s, I believe, and it seems that it was common to yell "To hell with [insert bitter rival]!" in college fight songs and chants during that period. For instance, Georgia Tech's "Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech" includes the line "To hell with Georgia!"

ricks68
07-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I would guess that this chant was a logical extension of the phrase "To hell with Carolina!" that has been traditionally inserted into the song "Blue and White." That song was written in the la te 1920s, I believe, and it seems that it was common to yell "To hell with [insert bitter rival]!" in college fight songs and chants during that period. For instance, Georgia Tech's "Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech" includes the line "To hell with Georgia!"

Too logical-----and, therefore, may be historically correct. I've heard that one before. But then, I also believe I saw it somewhere in the Torah.

ricks

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Befitting the holiday, GTHc was a little known codicil to the Declaration of Independence. And as also befitting the events of the last year or so over there, it was successfully covered up and ignored until about 1924.

Waaay before the American Revolution days;).

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I assumed it was said by the first Duke fan to sit next to a Carolina fan at a sporting event, after having to listen to said Carolina fan during the contest.

Another good thought but not true;).

striker219
07-05-2013, 10:26 PM

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:26 PM
It all started back in the day when Helms meat packers declared Carolina national champions in basketball. Fans from UNCCH had gathered at Five Points to celebrate, since Franklin Street was a muddy road. Some Trinity students heading to the Palms for dinner noticed the crowd, and began chanting, "Go to the hill, y'all whiners, go to the hill." By the time they they had finished it had become this wish, "Go to he11, Carolina, go to he11!" Now, though, it may have changed to a thankful, "Gone to he11, Carolina, gone to he11!"

Way, way before fake bakery championships;).

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Gutenberg had the first printed rendition.

My ancient middle eastern history is pretty weak but I think the first printed rendition of the c*rolina and Hades connection was on papyrus or scrolls;).

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I would guess that this chant was a logical extension of the phrase "To hell with Carolina!" that has been traditionally inserted into the song "Blue and White." That song was written in the late 1920s, I believe, and it seems that it was common to yell "To hell with [insert bitter rival]!" in college fight songs and chants during that period. For instance, Georgia Tech's "Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech" includes the line "To hell with Georgia!"

The phrase "to hell with Carolina" was added to that fight song after Carolina trounced Duke 50 - 0 on national TV in 1959. Earlier during this same year, Jim Tatum, the revered Carolina coach, died of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever following a hunting trip. It was my understanding that the Carolina team dedicated the season and that game in particular to Coach Tatum.

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Too logical-----and, therefore, may be historically correct. I've heard that one before. But then, I also believe I saw it somewhere in the Torah.

ricks

ImaFacultiwyfe postulated this as the 11th Commandment, which would be included in the Torah, but I have no historical record/documentation of this.

devildeac
07-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Here's my explanation/theory-direct from The Book of Psalms, Chapter 49, verse 14, New American Standard Bible:

" As sheep they are appointed for Sheol ;
Death shall be their shepherd;
And the upright (Blue Devils and Wolfpack) shall rule over them in the morning,
And their form shall be for Sheol to consume
So that they have no habitation."

(parenthetical insertion mine;))

So, there you have it: c*rolina and their herd/followers/bleaters can go to Hades!

brevity
07-05-2013, 10:50 PM

Impressive and pretty convincing. Book? Chapter? Verse? (;))

You should find something close to the above scripture in the King LeBron James Version of the Bible, 2 Peter 2.

Here's my explanation/theory-direct from The Book of Psalms, Chapter 49, verse 14, New American Standard Bible:

" As sheep they are appointed for Sheol ;
Death shall be their shepherd;
And the upright (Blue Devils and Wolfpack) shall rule over them in the morning,
And their form shall be for Sheol to consume
So that they have no habitation."

(parenthetical insertion mine;))

So, there you have it: c*rolina and their herd/followers/bleaters can go to Hades!

Nice! I should have thought to look for wayward sheep. The Roy is their shepherd; we do not want. Intended pitchforks reciprocated.

OldPhiKap
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM

ricks

Of course, in the Torah I believe it is "aniloraC lleH ot oG"

Any way you write it, it is true. Like a palindrome, without the need for symmetry.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Of course, in the Torah I believe it is "aniloraC lleH ot oG"

Any way you write it, it is true. Like a palindrome, without the need for symmetry.
Any way you say it, it's always appropriate and always in good taste!

ricks68
07-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Any way you say it, it's always appropriate and always in good taste!

Words spoken from the highest authority. Pay heed!

ricks