PDA

View Full Version : Duke interested in player from China? (Qi ZHOU)

duke02
07-03-2013, 12:28 AM
I was reading some Chinese forum and a mini blog site that is similar to Twitter. It was mentioned that this kid from China has interests in playing for UCLA or Duke, and vice versa from the school, it wasn't clear as to whether he was officially offered by Duke or UCLA, but it is rumored that he has a strong interest in Duke. Does anyone here know about this?

Here is his profile:

http://fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/13/fu19m/player/p/eid//orderby//ot//pid/98957/rid//sid/9616/tid/262/tid2//profile.html

licc85
07-03-2013, 01:05 AM
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhou-qi

Sound like he'd be a pretty amazing addition, and possibly a 1 and done prospect. Pending some youtube clips, I think I'm about 80% sold. Is he a 2014 prospect? A frontcourt with him and Jahlil would be unstoppable.

duke02
07-03-2013, 01:10 AM
I haven't read too much about him, but I believe he's in some kind of commercial contract with a Chinese clothing brand, and he'll have to get out of that first in order for him to play in the NCAA. But he has been openly discussing his intention to play in the NCAA

subzero02
07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
I wonder if China would require him to maintain a relationship with the national team... He's 7'1"... That alone makes him worth looking at

licc85
07-03-2013, 01:56 AM
I wonder if China would require him to maintain a relationship with the national team... He's 7'1"... That alone makes him worth looking at

That pretty much goes without saying. This guy is probably the best Chinese player since Yao. On the NBADraft.net page it says his contract with his youth team ends sometime this year, so he'd be eligible to play for a pro Chinese team in the CBA or even NCAA ball next year: "He's signed to a contract through 2013 so going to an American top NCAA schools could be an option, however his coach has stated he feels it is a better option for him to stay and develop in China ..."

I think his coach is an idiot if he thinks he's going to develop faster staying in China playing against inferior competition. Coming to a place like Duke would put him on the fast track to NBA success. I hope this happens somehow. Would be pretty cool if Duke games started being televised in literally the biggest market in the world. Believe me, if this guy came to Duke, our fan base would multiply by tenfold overnight.

brevity
07-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Would be pretty cool if Duke games started being televised in literally the biggest market in the world.

Get some of the Blue Devil baseballers to learn cricket, and we'd have to start calling Duke the Worldwide Leader in Sports.

licc85
07-03-2013, 02:18 AM
Box Score from Team China's U19 team vs our USA team: http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/13_mu19_game_02_box.html

Looks like Zhou only played 16 minutes and got his butt handed to him by the American bigs, but it's probably to be expected at this point, considering Jahlil and Aaron Gordon are older and are both physically just beasts.

In Duke-related news, Rasheed had a so-so game in a blowout win with 9 points on 3-9 shooting.

gep
07-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Wasn't one of Duke's games in Cameron broadcast to China a couple of years ago??? By Chinese students at Duke?

CameronBornAndBred
07-03-2013, 08:40 AM
I haven't read too much about him, but I believe he's in some kind of commercial contract with a Chinese clothing brand, and he'll have to get out of that first in order for him to play in the NCAA. But he has been openly discussing his intention to play in the NCAA
Foriegn contracts have caused trouble for teams and coaches before. Who was the guy that Calipari recruited but had that same issue? Regardless of how good the player is, I'd rather avoid a scenario like that if it looks like it could be enough of a hassle for the NCAA to get involved.

ChillinDuke
07-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Foriegn contracts have caused trouble for teams and coaches before. Who was the guy that Calipari recruited but had that same issue? Regardless of how good the player is, I'd rather avoid a scenario like that if it looks like it could be enough of a hassle for the NCAA to get involved.

Enes Kanter, I think.

I agree with you that this stuff can get hairy. But I feel quite confident that the Duke staff would have all the facts and circumstances pre-cleared with the NCAA three times over before the kid even set a foot on campus let alone played a game.

There's a way to do it. Calipari just doesn't care about that part.

- Chillin

gumbomoop
07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Would be pretty cool if Duke games started being televised in literally the biggest market in the world. Believe me, if this guy came to Duke, our fan base would multiply by tenfold overnight.

Duke U. is already heavily involved in China. Newest project is Duke Kunshan University, a major new initiative. A friend of mine who's a significant expert in Asian political economy describes what Duke has begun with Duke Kunshan as "remarkable." Now, lots of things are worthy of "remarking upon," but I think my friend, who's taught in Wuhan, Shanghai, Singapore, Hanoi, elsewhere, meant "strikingly impressive," a major academic/cross-cultural coup.

http://spotlight.duke.edu/dukeinchina/dku/

http://spotlight.duke.edu/dukeinchina/files/2011/05/DKU-quick-reference-document-August-2012.pdf

uh_no
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Duke U. is already heavily involved in China. Newest project is Duke Kunshan University, a major new initiative. A friend of mine who's a significant expert in Asian political economy describes what Duke has begun with Duke Kunshan as "remarkable." Now, lots of things are worthy of "remarking upon," but I think my friend, who's taught in Wuhan, Shanghai, Singapore, Hanoi, elsewhere, meant "strikingly impressive," a major academic/cross-cultural coup.

http://spotlight.duke.edu/dukeinchina/dku/

http://spotlight.duke.edu/dukeinchina/files/2011/05/DKU-quick-reference-document-August-2012.pdf

well, other than the fact that kunshan U is turning out to be a lot of smoke and mirrors....it's been scheduled to open for about the past 3 years and the administration won't even comment on it anymore....not that any of that has anything to do with the basketball team....

I think K's prominence on the world stage as the coach of team usa is probably doing more to bring an international presence for our program

kelly
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
DKU was not scheduled to open until this year. The project of Duke opening an university campus in China started in 2010, cooperating with an university in Shanghai, but that plan fell through. Then, in 2012, Duke talked with Wuhan University to open DKU. A relative of mine from China was actually in direct conversations with President Brodhead at Duke prior to the contract being signed. The construction is on plan to complete this year, and they expect to enroll new students starting next fall. A relative of a friend who is currently a professor at Duke has been tasked to write up curriculum for an equivalent department at DKU.

Anyways, I think due to the popularity of basketball in China, Duke is by far the most well-known non-ivy league school.

well, other than the fact that kunshan U is turning out to be a lot of smoke and mirrors....it's been scheduled to open for about the past 3 years and the administration won't even comment on it anymore....not that any of that has anything to do with the basketball team....

I think K's prominence on the world stage as the coach of team usa is probably doing more to bring an international presence for our program

UrinalCake
07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
The Houston Rockets are still leveraging the market share from China that they acquired by having Yao, so this would really build the Duke brand even further. As stated, Coach K's involvement with the national Team already gives us an international presence.

Plus it'd be great to revive the "Zou!" chant for this guy (Zhou). We'd of course have to call him "Zou 2" or "Z2." Getting way ahead of myself here, another great nickname could be "ZhouTube," as in he makes all the highlight videos.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
The Houston Rockets are still leveraging the market share from China that they acquired by having Yao, so this would really build the Duke brand even further. As stated, Coach K's involvement with the national Team already gives us an international presence.

And Shane Battier is one of the most popular NBA players in China. :cool: His shoe contract is with a Chinese manufacturer - that was commented on a few months ago in another thread here. His face, larger than life, is on ad posters all over the country.

licc85
07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
And Shane Battier is one of the most popular NBA players in China. :cool: His shoe contract is with a Chinese manufacturer - that was commented on a few months ago in another thread here. His face, larger than life, is on ad posters all over the country.

Yep, Battier is pretty well known here, especially now that he's a 2 time champ with the Heat. The Heat are pretty well represented over here. D-Wade actually has a massive shoe deal here with Li-Ning, which is basically the biggest Chinese shoe company. I think he is required by the terms of his contract to play at least a year in the CBA after he retires from the NBA. Obviously, Lebron is massive as well. After that the most visible players in order are probably Kobe (Nike), D-Rose (Adidas), then Jeremy Lin, who has some kind of sponsorship with KFC . . . (lol)

kelly
07-03-2013, 01:57 PM
This young kid's contract is with Li-Ning as well. Which I believe he has to get out of before he can do anything in NCAA.

Yep, Battier is pretty well known here, especially now that he's a 2 time champ with the Heat. The Heat are pretty well represented over here. D-Wade actually has a massive shoe deal here with Li-Ning, which is basically the biggest Chinese shoe company. I think he is required by the terms of his contract to play at least a year in the CBA after he retires from the NBA. Obviously, Lebron is massive as well. After that the most visible players in order are probably Kobe (Nike), D-Rose (Adidas), then Jeremy Lin, who has some kind of sponsorship with KFC . . . (lol)

gumbomoop
07-03-2013, 02:00 PM

The confusion comes, I think, from the fact that Duke's original attempt to partner with Shanghai Jiao Tong University to establish Kunshan U did, yes, fall through [as kelly noted in post #13 response to you]. I assume that led Duke to seek another partner, which they found in Wuhan U, with whom Duke has been working for the last year or so. Maybe you meant, by the "smoke and mirrors" comment, that this second attempt still awaits final approval by the Chinese Ministry of Education; but I'm guessing you were referencing that original plan, which has been superseded.

Would an eventual DKU overshadow K's prominence, re "bring[ing] an international presence for our program"? Highly unlikely in terms of the bball team in the short run, you're right. But I was commenting more broadly on licc85's reference to multiplying our fan base in China, and more broadly still on Duke's presence in China in the future. K himself isn't interested only in the bball team's presence in China. He's a Duke-big-picture-guy, best I can tell, genuinely interested in multiple Duke programs, academic programs definitely included; and as such he and all Duke folks should be excited about the possibilities in DKU.

Contrast K's big-picture approach to the university he loves with .... um, other coaches one might have reason to wonder about recently. K has his flaws; narrowness of vision is not among them.

HK Dukie
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Plus it'd be great to revive the "Zou!" chant for this guy (Zhou). We'd of course have to call him "Zou 2" or "Z2." Getting way ahead of myself here, another great nickname could be "ZhouTube," as in he makes all the highlight videos.

The pronunciation of Zhou in Chinese is more like "Joe" as in "GI Joe" or "Yo, Joe".

MCFinARL
07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Box Score from Team China's U19 team vs our USA team: http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/13_mu19_game_02_box.html

Looks like Zhou only played 16 minutes and got his butt handed to him by the American bigs, but it's probably to be expected at this point, considering Jahlil and Aaron Gordon are older and are both physically just beasts.

In Duke-related news, Rasheed had a so-so game in a blowout win with 9 points on 3-9 shooting.

Well, Jahlil is only a month older (Dec. 1995 versus Jan. 1996), and Aaron Gordon is 4 months older (born Sept. 1995), so I'm not sure that was a key factor.

BigWayne
07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
The confusion comes, I think, from the fact that Duke's original attempt to partner with Shanghai Jiao Tong University to establish Kunshan U did, yes, fall through [as kelly noted in post #13 response to you]. I assume that led Duke to seek another partner, which they found in Wuhan U, with whom Duke has been working for the last year or so. Maybe you meant, by the "smoke and mirrors" comment, that this second attempt still awaits final approval by the Chinese Ministry of Education; but I'm guessing you were referencing that original plan, which has been superseded.

Would an eventual DKU overshadow K's prominence, re "bring[ing] an international presence for our program"? Highly unlikely in terms of the bball team in the short run, you're right. But I was commenting more broadly on licc85's reference to multiplying our fan base in China, and more broadly still on Duke's presence in China in the future. K himself isn't interested only in the bball team's presence in China. He's a Duke-big-picture-guy, best I can tell, genuinely interested in multiple Duke programs, academic programs definitely included; and as such he and all Duke folks should be excited about the possibilities in DKU.

Contrast K's big-picture approach to the university he loves with .... um, other coaches one might have reason to wonder about recently. K has his flaws; narrowness of vision is not among them.

On DKU...it's way messier than that. Brodhead continues to put up PR that things are all going smoothly, but they are obviously not as concrete proof of any approvals claimed by the Duke admin never seem to materialize. Also, vague claims related to academic freedom made by Brodhead conflict directly with statements made by the Chinese government. You can spend all day reading about it at dukecheck.com. Here's an example of the the never ending delays.... http://dukecheck.com/?p=6916

Henderson
07-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Looks like Zhou only played 16 minutes and got his butt handed to him by the American bigs, but it's probably to be expected at this point....

If I'm reading the box scores correctly, Zhou didn't play at all in the last game and only 1 minute in today's game. Injury?

gumbomoop
07-03-2013, 07:27 PM
On DKU...it's way messier than that. Brodhead continues to put up PR that things are all going smoothly, but they are obviously not as concrete proof of any approvals claimed by the Duke admin never seem to materialize. Also, vague claims related to academic freedom made by Brodhead conflict directly with statements made by the Chinese government. You can spend all day reading about it at dukecheck.com. Here's an example of the the never ending delays.... http://dukecheck.com/?p=6916

You may be right about "way messier," but the link you provide is to a 9/12 post. I do understand that dealing with Chinese institutions is often complicated, frustrating. So, I happily concede that the apparent promise of DKU must yet get over some serious hurdles. I do hope it happens, so long as it happens on terms - academic freedom, etc. - that comport with American academic conventions.

duke09hms
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
You may be right about "way messier," but the link you provide is to a 9/12 post. I do understand that dealing with Chinese institutions is often complicated, frustrating. So, I happily concede that the apparent promise of DKU must yet get over some serious hurdles. I do hope it happens, so long as it happens on terms - academic freedom, etc. - that comport with American academic conventions.

Currently there are lots of questions and issues about DKU, about which the Brodhead administration has been extremely secretive. They still have yet to be forthcoming to students/alumni/faculty about the reasons behind the project. Such as:

Why Kunshan? And not a major Chinese city like Beijing or Shanghai?
Why is our partner in this endeavor Wuhan University? It was a bad omen when our initial partner, top-10 Chinese university Shanghai Jiao-Tong University, dropped the project on us. Wuhan is an average/middle of the road Chinese university. Like trading Duke for Maryland.
How much is the true cost of establishing DKU? Numbers have been dropped whimsically from 5 million/year to 55 million/year. Is this called for when Duke is slashing budgets across all its academic departments and faculty hirings are on hold?
How will it be financially sustainable? Will Chinese students pay Duke-level tuition (~40k) vs ~4k at the top Chinese universities?
There has been an alarming lack of gifts in the Duke Forward campaign for DKU. DKU, as described by Brodhead, is the largest, most important Duke endeavor in out history.
Many of the Duke faculty are up in arms about this project, calling it the Kunshan folly, because their input has been largely ignored. That's why the administration is having A LOT of trouble enticing Duke faculty to move over to DKU. And there is precious little information about the actual academic programs that will be taking place there, which is alarming since it is now scheduled to open Fall 2014. Which is the 6th delay/rescheduling thus far.
Why can't the Brodhead administration be forthcoming about some of these most integral questions?

Many questions remain unanswered, and many Duke shareholders would strongly prefer a more inclusive and intellectually sound approach to managing Duke's endeavors. This topic may be better served elsewhere.

awhom111
07-04-2013, 01:06 AM
If I'm reading the box scores correctly, Zhou didn't play at all in the last game and only 1 minute in today's game. Injury?

In the interest of getting things back on topic a bit, the belief is that he was rested. Today's game was meaningless for the team since they had already clinched third place and they probably did not feel like they could beat Serbia. Similarly, the coach pulled all of his starters after things went south against the United States. He did play 39 minutes against Russia and 40 against Australia and enough against the Ivory Coast to secure the win.

If he does play in the next game, it will be on ESPN3 at 7:15am on Friday against Lithuania (all of the games that have an impact on the championship as well as the third place game will all be on ESPN3).

BigWayne
07-04-2013, 04:23 AM
I just picked the 9/12 post as it came up as the most relevant on a google search. There are plenty more on that site, though duke09hms summarized them well here. If I was betting, my money would be on DKU never opening anything more than an exchange student/summer abroad type program or a few business school seminars.

ddsdevil
07-04-2013, 12:39 PM
So, is this guy '13 or '14? Also, is there a link to any actual evidence that he's interested in coming to Duke? If so, and if he's '13, K should be all over this.

duke02
07-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, if you can read Chinese...

http://voice.hupu.com/cba/1453010.html

And lot of fans responded, interesting to see majority of Chinese basketball fans suggested UCLA over Duke and some even suggested Kentucky or Georgetown.

So, is this guy '13 or '14? Also, is there a link to any actual evidence that he's interested in coming to Duke? If so, and if he's '13, K should be all over this.

mkline09
07-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Agree just too much uncertainty with some of the foreign players for my taste.

loran16
07-05-2013, 10:03 AM

FTR: Enes Kantor did NOT cause trouble for Calipari or Kentucky and was a smart recruiting job by Calipari. He was recruited and the NCAA knew about his issues and made a decision before any games, so the team had no losses.

in other words, if a team has an extra scholarship, there's ZERO downside to a player such as this, because if he's ruled ineligible, it'll happen before games happen and the team wont' be affected.

Orange&BlackSheep
07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

His last name is properly pronounced "Joe" not with the Frenchified "J" / "Zh" sound such as from the all-time great group Zhané, they of the all-time great song "Hey, Mr. DJ".

So please, please, please people. Beijing is pronounced with an AMURICAN "J" not French one. Bay-Jing not Bay-Zhing. That and people saying "If I was" instead of "If I were" are driving me to drink excessively. Please help.

Thanks,

O&B Sheep

sagegrouse
07-05-2013, 12:11 PM
His last name is properly pronounced "Joe" not with the Frenchified "J" / "Zh" sound such as from the all-time great group Zhané, they of the all-time great song "Hey, Mr. DJ".

So please, please, please people. Beijing is pronounced with an AMURICAN "J" not French one. Bay-Jing not Bay-Zhing. That and people saying "If I was" instead of "If I were" are driving me to drink excessively. Please help.

Thanks,

O&B Sheep

I am sorry. When you cast your lot with the Ivies and Old Nassau, you became beyond redemption.

sage

CameronBornAndBred
07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
FTR: Enes Kantor did NOT cause trouble for Calipari or Kentucky and was a smart recruiting job by Calipari. He was recruited and the NCAA knew about his issues and made a decision before any games, so the team had no losses.

in other words, if a team has an extra scholarship, there's ZERO downside to a player such as this, because if he's ruled ineligible, it'll happen before games happen and the team wont' be affected.
I remember this board (and others) pouncing all over that situation, drooling as we waited for a hammer to fall. I didn't say what he did was wrong, I said it was a scenario I'd rather avoid.

Indoor66
07-05-2013, 05:40 PM

Thanks,

O&B Sheep

What do you drink? I'll send a bottle....:cool:

subzero02
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Eat at Zhou's...

awhom111
07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
20 points, 14 rebounds, and 9 blocks in 46 minutes against Canada. It was too bad that this game was not on ESPN3, because it was quite a thriller as it went into triple overtime before Canada won 110-100 with Tyler Ennis dropping 42 points.

Zhou is certainly an intriguing prospect, maybe not at a level where he would be able to contribute at a Duke-level program as a freshman, but certainly one to keep an eye on.