PDA

View Full Version : Redick coming to LA Clippers in a trade

Duvall
07-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Redick to the Clippers, Bledsoe to the Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--clippers-land-j-j--redick--jared-dudley-in-three-team-trade--suns-get-eric-bledsoe-220528890.html)

JJ gets a 4 year, $27 million deal.

CDu
07-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Redick to the Clippers, Bledsoe to the Suns (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--clippers-land-j-j--redick--jared-dudley-in-three-team-trade--suns-get-eric-bledsoe-220528890.html)

This is about the best-case scenario for Redick. He goes to a contender with the best PG in the NBA. He fills an immediate need as a shooter. And he gets the big payday he was hoping for.

Duvall
07-02-2013, 06:19 PM
This is about the best-case scenario for Redick. He goes to a contender with the best PG in the NBA. He fills an immediate need as a shooter. And he gets the big payday he was hoping for.

And he gets to haze rookie Bullock - another plus.

Kdogg
07-02-2013, 06:57 PM

"The Bucks will receive two second-round picks in the trade -- one from the Clippers and one from the Suns." I guess it's better than getting nothing and watching JJ walk, but really? They don't even get to keep the trade exception because they are under the cap.

socaldukie
07-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Nice move for the Clippers in picking up JJ. Frees him fom Milwaukee too...:)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22612492/eric-bledsoe-headed-to-suns-in-agreed-upon-four-team-deal

Newton_14
07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Nice move for the Clippers in picking up JJ. Frees him fom Milwaukee too...:)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22612492/eric-bledsoe-headed-to-suns-in-agreed-upon-four-team-deal

Great for JJ and the Clips. Good for the Suns. Horrible and stupid move for the Bucks. Two second picks for JJ and Dudley? That's nuts. JJ alone was worth more than that.

Great move for JJ though. Very happy for him. Goes to a really good team, where he should fill a need, and get's to play for a real coach again and his best coach since K. It should be raining 3's in LA. Glad we will get to see JJ in the playoffs again, and hopefully getting meaningful minutes on a team that can make some noise in the playoffs.

moonpie23
07-02-2013, 08:23 PM
CP will pass to jj....

and the clips are gonna pass come $$ to jj...

CDu
07-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Great for JJ and the Clips. Good for the Suns. Horrible and stupid move for the Bucks. Two second picks for JJ and Dudley? That's nuts. JJ alone was worth more than that.

Great move for JJ though. Very happy for him. Goes to a really good team, where he should fill a need, and get's to play for a real coach again and his best coach since K. It should be raining 3's in LA. Glad we will get to see JJ in the playoffs again, and hopefully getting meaningful minutes on a team that can make some noise in the playoffs.

It was a three-team trade. Dudley came from Phoenix, not Milwaukee. Milwaukee essentially got two 2nd round picks for facilitating the trade: they weren't going to be able to retain Redick anyway.

Newton_14
07-02-2013, 08:55 PM
It was a three-team trade. Dudley came from Phoenix, not Milwaukee. Milwaukee essentially got two 2nd round picks for facilitating the trade: they weren't going to be able to retain Redick anyway.

Ok. Thanks CDu. I had on my brain that Dudley played for the Bucks. Agree JJ was going to walk no matter what which limits Milwaukee's options, but still think they got little to nothing in the trade. But not a Bucks fan so no biggie. Just glad JJ and Mike Jr got the heck out of there. Your Bulls just got better with that pick up as well.

subzero02
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Chris Paul will definitely find JJ on the perimeter... A huge upgrade over Jameer Nelson who I am convinced didn't like passing to JJ.

jimsumner
07-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Chris Paul will definitely find JJ on the perimeter... A huge upgrade over Jameer Nelson who I am convinced didn't like passing to JJ.

I'm not convinced Jameer Nelson likes passing to anyone.

CDu
07-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Ok. Thanks CDu. I had on my brain that Dudley played for the Bucks. Agree JJ was going to walk no matter what which limits Milwaukee's options, but still think they got little to nothing in the trade. But not a Bucks fan so no biggie. Just glad JJ and Mike Jr got the heck out of there. Your Bulls just got better with that pick up as well.

Yes, I am VERY pleased with the Dunleavy signing. There was also a bit of chatter about the Bulls meeting with Brand. I doubt that comes to fruition, but it would be nice.

Newton_14
07-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm not convinced Jameer Nelson likes passing to anyone.

I'm convinced you are right about that Jim! I bet he even prefers the straight-up standard dunk on a free run to the rim vs tossing it off the glass for one man alley oop dunk. Not even going to pass to himself.

CP3 drives into the lane, here's the kickout to a wide open JJ Redick who nails the 3 ball to win it for the Clips at the buzzer! Oh what a night! CP3 with 26 points and 15 dimes, while his backcourt mate Redick chips in 25 points including 7 of 9 shooting from downtown.... :)

There is magic again in the Staples Center! :cool:

gep
07-02-2013, 10:36 PM
CP will pass to jj....

Just curious... wasn't JJ on the team when Patrick Davidson "took it" to CP?

superdave
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Clippers rotation looks to be Paul, Redick and Crawford in the backcourt, Dudley, Griffin, Jordan, Odom, Hollins in the front court. They will need a backup pg for Paul assuming Chancy retires and they wil have to either re-sign or replace Matt Barnes.

Reggie Bullock is their 1st round pick. The Clips could also pursue a younger 3 to round out the rotation. My guess is they keep Barnes and platoon him with Dudley.

licc85
07-02-2013, 11:43 PM
So the Bucks turned Tobias Harris in to 2 second round picks . . . what a joke.

They are probably going to match whatever idiotic offer sheet Brandon Jennings gets, and he will get overpaid like crazy.

Man, Milwaukee's best move in the last 10 years was Monta stupidly declining his 2 year option ($22 million, 2 years), and they had nothing to do with it.

I think the Bucks might be overtaking the Bobcats as the NBA's worst franchise. Thanks goodness both Mike and JJ got out of that mess. Move to Seattle incoming!

UrinalCake
07-03-2013, 01:07 AM
And he gets to haze rookie Bullock - another plus.

My first thought when I saw this trade was about the competition between Bullock and Redick, as they are similar players. Bullock is several inches taller but Redick can put the ball on the floor and of course has several years of experience on him. Still, it seems unlikely that there's room for both guys. Dudley is himself listed as a shooting guard, and I see that they also have Jamal Crawford on their roster making $5 million, so Redick is going to have to earn his playing time at the 2 spot...

UrinalCake
07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Just heard that the clippers signed Scott Wood to a free agent contract. It's an ACC shooting guard reunion in LA! Maybe they'll sign Seth Curry too. Throw in Sammy Zaglinski and CJ Harris for good measure.

Atlanta Duke
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Wonder if Duke hater Bill Simmons is going to turn in his Clippers season tickets?

First Doc Rivers leaves the Celtics to coach the Clippers, which prompted a rant by Simmons. Now JJ joins the team.:D

CDu
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Clippers rotation looks to be Paul, Redick and Crawford in the backcourt, Dudley, Griffin, Jordan, Odom, Hollins in the front court. They will need a backup pg for Paul assuming Chancy retires and they wil have to either re-sign or replace Matt Barnes.

Reggie Bullock is their 1st round pick. The Clips could also pursue a younger 3 to round out the rotation. My guess is they keep Barnes and platoon him with Dudley.

Odom and Hollins are free agents, so there is some uncertainty of their return. I'd guess that Bullock is intended to be Barnes' replacement.

wsb3
07-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Really happy for JJ. I think this is a great fit for him.

He has put in a lot of work to be in this position. It seems when he was with the Magic I read where he was the best conditioned player with a sick low body fat. Lot of haters sold him short. Their mistake.

g-money
07-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Wonder if Duke hater Bill Simmons is going to turn in his Clippers season tickets?

First Doc Rivers leaves the Celtics to coach the Clippers, which prompted a rant by Simmons. Now JJ joins the team.:D

The funny thing is, I actually remember Simmons doing a friendly podcast with JJ a few years ago. Simmons has a Jim Rome-like knack for ripping on people behind their backs, only to turn on the charm in person.

I wouldn't mind seeing Simmons getting hit with a Jim "Chris" Everett moment one of these days.

Back to the topic at hand, I think the Clips are going to be a force next year. Top two in the West.

superdave
07-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Odom and Hollins are free agents, so there is some uncertainty of their return. I'd guess that Bullock is intended to be Barnes' replacement.

The Clippers are over the cap with the Paul contract (hence the need to trade Bledsoe to facilitate bringing in Redick/Dudley). But can they resign Barnes, Odom, Hollins? I think they can re-sign their own guys even if they are over the cap, but have to py the tax. Is that right? Seems like they could re-sign all three guys for a reasonable amount given their age.

I dont know that I would, given their hopes for a title, put too much faith in Bullock. I'd try to retain Barnes for another year.

Intriguing roster. I dont know they can beat Memphis, San Anton or OKC in a playoff series though.

CDu
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
The Clippers are over the cap with the Paul contract (hence the need to trade Bledsoe to facilitate bringing in Redick/Dudley). But can they resign Barnes, Odom, Hollins? I think they can re-sign their own guys even if they are over the cap, but have to py the tax. Is that right? Seems like they could re-sign all three guys for a reasonable amount given their age.

I dont know that I would, given their hopes for a title, put too much faith in Bullock. I'd try to retain Barnes for another year.

Intriguing roster. I dont know they can beat Memphis, San Anton or OKC in a playoff series though.

Oh I didnt' mean to say that those 3 are definitely not returning. Just that it's possible that they don't return.

With regard to your question about payments, yes, they can re-sign their own players, but only for a very slight increase over their previous salaries. They are not in luxury tax territory, so the Clips wouldn't necessarily have to pay a tax to re-sign those players (with the possible exception of Odom, who made $8 million this past year).

The question is whether those 3 could get more money to play elsewhere. Barnes and Hollins made the minimum this year. Would they choose to return for basically the minimum again over, say, the taxpayer's exception (~$3 million per year) somewhere else? And what will the Clippers be willing to offer Odom? Anything close to his current salary would push the Clips into the luxury tax.

It's certainly possible that all 3 return to LA next year. But it might require those players taking lower offers than they could get from other teams.

Kdogg
07-03-2013, 07:44 PM
The funny thing is, I actually remember Simmons doing a friendly podcast with JJ a few years ago. Simmons has a Jim Rome-like knack for ripping on people behind their backs, only to turn on the charm in person.

I wouldn't mind seeing Simmons getting hit with a Jim "Chris" Everett moment one of these days.

Back to the topic at hand, I think the Clips are going to be a force next year. Top two in the West.

For the last few years, Simmons has been really pro JJ in both print and TV. He's been impressed with the way JJ has evolved in Orlando.

NovaScotian
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM

i know BS isn't the most popular guy around these parts, but i don't think he's ever had anything but praise for jayjay

Henderson
07-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Oh I didnt' mean to say that those 3 are definitely not returning. Just that it's possible that they don't return.
And what will the Clippers be willing to offer Odom? Anything close to his current salary would push the Clips into the luxury tax.
It's certainly possible that all 3 return to LA next year. But it might require those players taking lower offers than they could get from other teams.

Odom made $8M last year. Rumor is that the Clips will offer him the minimum for a 10 year vet -- $1.399M. Why, I don't know. He was not productive this past year and is obviously getting long in the tooth. Would Odom debase himself by taking such a huge pay cut? By floating that rumor, the Clips may be signaling to Odom that it's time for him to retire. I don't know why any team would want him. And given that he's obviously in the twilight of his career anyway, how much effort/commitment could a team expect from him?

But back to J.J.: Nice. Very nice. Remember when he was a student and the haters doubted his ability to play in the NBA?

weezie
07-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Would Odom debase himself by taking such a huge pay cut?

That's a trick question, right? Hahaha, he's married to a Kardashian.

I rest my case. :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
07-04-2013, 04:08 PM
That's a trick question, right? Hahaha, he's married to a Kardashian.

I rest my case. :cool:
Yeah, but she's beautiful!

Rudy
07-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah, but she's beautiful!

You suckered me. I had to log in to see the picture.

superdave
07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Clippers add Darren Collison as Paul's backup and resign Matt Barnes. Add Redick to the group and there is your backcourt rotation. Not bad.

BigZ
07-07-2013, 11:42 AM
As a die hard Lakers fan this is not good news, at least he is not on the Celtics.

ice-9
07-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Clippers add Darren Collison as Paul's backup and resign Matt Barnes. Add Redick to the group and there is your backcourt rotation. Not bad.

Don't forget Dudley, who actually posted a higher 3 point percentage than Redick!

The Clips should try to trade Bullock for a back-up big.