PDA

View Full Version : NBA Free Agency - Summer of 2013

Billy Dat
07-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey guys - with things pretty slow on the boards, and considering the quality NBA talk we always manage to generate, I thought this thread would be a good one to start.

Today marks the start of NBA Free Agency. There are a lot of big names out there.

Starting at the top, Chris Paul has agreed to a huge 5-year, $107MM extension with the Clippers. Looks like the Doc Rivers signing helped cement Paul's commitment. Rumblings of he and Blake Griffin not getting along were not enough to keep him from re-upping. One assumes they'll be able to meet halfway?

Dwight Howard is obviously the big name. The consensus seems to be Houston and a pairing with James Harden and their interesting young core of talent (Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, et al. Let's see if that happens, or can LA keep him, can Atlanta, Golden State or Dallas lure him with lesser offers?

Lots of our boys are looking for new contracts. JJ, Mike Dunleavy, Duhon, Elton, Dahntay, Gerald (Restricted), McRoberts, Maggette, Nolan. A lot of our guys will be wearing new uniforms next year. As none of them are huge names (JJ is probably the most coveted), it may take some time for the picture to shake out for them.

As a Knicks fan, I am processing the Andrea Bargnani move. All the pundits seem to think it's a big loser, and that Toronto maestro GM Masai Ujiri fleeced us again as he did in the Melo deal when he was the Nuggets GM. If Bargnani plays the way he did, last year, those pundits may be correct. But, he's only 27, he can really score (he can really play no D and can really not rebound, too)...and I guess the idea is to pull bigs away from the hoop to allow Melo and STAT to work closer to the hoop. We'll see.

theAlaskanBear
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Hey guys - with things pretty slow on the boards, and considering the quality NBA talk we always manage to generate, I thought this thread would be a good one to start.

Today marks the start of NBA Free Agency. There are a lot of big names out there.

Starting at the top, Chris Paul has agreed to a huge 5-year, $107MM extension with the Clippers. Looks like the Doc Rivers signing helped cement Paul's commitment. Rumblings of he and Blake Griffin not getting along were not enough to keep him from re-upping. One assumes they'll be able to meet halfway?

Dwight Howard is obviously the big name. The consensus seems to be Houston and a pairing with James Harden and their interesting young core of talent (Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Omer Asik, et al. Let's see if that happens, or can LA keep him, can Atlanta, Golden State or Dallas lure him with lesser offers?

Lots of our boys are looking for new contracts. JJ, Mike Dunleavy, Duhon, Elton, Dahntay, Gerald (Restricted), McRoberts, Maggette, Nolan. A lot of our guys will be wearing new uniforms next year. As none of them are huge names (JJ is probably the most coveted), it may take some time for the picture to shake out for them.

As a Knicks fan, I am processing the Andrea Bargnani move. All the pundits seem to think it's a big loser, and that Toronto maestro GM Masai Ujiri fleeced us again as he did in the Melo deal when he was the Nuggets GM. If Bargnani plays the way he did, last year, those pundits may be correct. But, he's only 27, he can really score (he can really play no D and can really not rebound, too)...and I guess the idea is to pull bigs away from the hoop to allow Melo and STAT to work closer to the hoop. We'll see.

I thought about starting a thread, but thought the board might start to have NBA fatigue. Since it's up, well... ;)

The Bobcats have extended a qualifying offer to Henderson, which gives them the option to match any other offers he received. Wojnarowski says that Charlotte is serious about keeping both Henderson and McRoberts.

The Rockets are going to take a look at Mike Dunleavy...they are looking for complements to Dwight a la 2009 Orlando Magic. Surround him with shooters! Honestly, I think Dwight is in the bag for Houston...although the Lakers are still a possibility. None of the other teams that can sign him will be any good.

Billy Dat
07-01-2013, 02:55 PM
I thought about starting a thread, but thought the board might start to have NBA fatigue. Since it's up, well... ;)

;) indeed...there are so many Dukies in the NBA that its always a relevant topic!

CDu
07-01-2013, 03:04 PM

The Bobcats have extended a qualifying offer to Henderson, which gives them the option to match any other offers he received. Wojnarowski says that Charlotte is serious about keeping both Henderson and McRoberts.

The Rockets are going to take a look at Mike Dunleavy...they are looking for complements to Dwight a la 2009 Orlando Magic. Surround him with shooters! Honestly, I think Dwight is in the bag for Houston...although the Lakers are still a possibility. None of the other teams that can sign him will be any good.

The Rockets could do some interesting things this offseason. For example, they could offer a package of Lin and Asik (who immediately becomes expendable if the Rockets land Howard as the two play the same exact position/role) for a sign-and-trade deal for Howard's old buddy Josh Smith. They'd then have a lineup of Howard, Smith, Parsons, Harden, Beverley. That's a very strong starting 5. Of course, the bench would stink, and they'd be stuck filling in the gaps with minimum-salaried guys. But it would be a pretty strong starting 5.

Dev11
07-01-2013, 03:07 PM

How did JJ and Dwight get along in Orlando? I honestly don't remember, but he would be an interesting addition to that team.

Billy Dat
07-01-2013, 03:12 PM
How did JJ and Dwight get along in Orlando? I honestly don't remember, but he would be an interesting addition to that team.

I think it was OK until Dwight starting shading his former mates after he left. JJ publically responded

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/magic-basketblog/os-mbb-jj-redick-responds-to-dwight-howard-comment-20130307,0,6338397.post

"J.J. Redick didn’t like Dwight Howard’s recent comment that the Orlando Magic were “a team full of people who nobody wanted.”

Before the Milwaukee Bucks’ game Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Clippers, Redick was asked about what Howard had said.

"I'm not surprised by it,” Redick said, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I would be more surprised when Dwight starts taking responsibility. That would be the most negative thing I can say, but that's the truth."

sagegrouse
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
It seems to be a transition year for a number of our guys:

Maggette (14 yrs.), I would guess, moves on. He got paid $10 mill. to play very little in DET.

Duhon (9 yrs.) played little for the Lakers and is probably on the same train, although he has not made nearly as much as Corey in his career.

Dahntay has played 10 years and may have to scrap to get another contract.

Nolan's future, after only two years in the league, is up in the air isn't it? I tend to think he'll get a contract, but not in Portland. We'll see....

Elton (14 yrs.) pulled down over $15M last year, as a result of his amnesty. He was productive, esp. in rebounds. It may depend on how eager he is to continue his career at a fraction of the salary.

Perhaps less of a transition for Dunleavy and McRoberts.

Dunleavy (11 years) has been averaging double figures off the bench for two years in MIL. His base is 3.75. I expect he will play some more, and I hope as a role player with a contender.

I also expect McBob (6 years) to get another contract.

Big paydays for JJ and Gerald?? I think so. This is JJ's first year as an unrestricted free agent (seven years in league) and his only chance to get a big, long-term contract. Should be interesting.

Gerald is a restricted free agent (after four years) and should make a big jump from his current 3 mil. per year. I suppose CHA will match, but I ain't predicting nothing about MJ's team.

sagegrouse

tommy
07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
The Clippers are on the cusp of being a championship-level team. They don't have many needs, but one is a knockdown shooter. I'd love to see J.J. fill that role on that team.

BD80
07-01-2013, 05:14 PM
It seems to be a transition year for a number of our guys:

Maggette (14 yrs.), I would guess, moves on. He got paid $10 mill. to play very little in DET.

Dunleavy (11 years) has been averaging double figures off the bench for two years in MIL. His base is 3.75. I expect he will play some more, and I hope as a role player with a contender. ...

sagegrouse

There is talk of Maggette resigning in Detroit, for the veterans minimum. Not that he'll play much, but he is considered a good mentor for the kiddie corps the Pistons have assembled. The Pistons want to save as much cap room as possible to re-sign Monroe next year and then the rest of the youngsters - particularly Drummond. They must at least spend 90% of the cap, so they'll be willing to take on some bad contracts that have a couple of years left, as long as they are gone before they need to tie up Drummond. They owe the Bobcats next year's #1 pick for taking Ben Gordon. Charlie Villanueva is a fairly valuable chip right now, he can be amnestied to immediately clear $8 + mil of cap space, or he can be used as trade deadline fodder as an expiring contract to a non-playoff team looking to dump a good player with a big contract to avoid the luxury tax.

Dunleavy is receiving high marks as a high value / low price free agent option. He deserves a spot on a contender. I doubt it will be Houston as they are said to be looking for a 3rd "star" player to please Dwight Howard. Everything else will have to be close to veterans minimum.

JasonEvans
07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
The TWolves, who want to build around Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio, really need shooters. I think I read that they were the worst 3-point shooting team in the NBA last year. Anyway, I've seen a couple articles that say they are going to go hard after JJ Redick. Mike DJr is one of their primary backup plans if they cannot land JJ.

-Jason "I'd rather see JJ on a contender, but think he will thrive wherever he goes next season" Evans

theAlaskanBear
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
The Clippers are on the cusp of being a championship-level team. They don't have many needs, but one is a knockdown shooter. I'd love to see J.J. fill that role on that team.

And right on cue -- Ramona Shelburne from ESPN reports that the Clips are in negotiation with the Milwaukee Bucks for a sign & trade for JJ Redick. The name she mentioned is Bledsoe, so there would have to be other names or draft picks involves...

gam7
07-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Colin Cowherd specifically mentioned JJ this morning as being a guy who would be a great addition to the Clippers since they have no one who can consistently shoot outside of 12 feet. Almost drove off the road when I heard his positive Redick comment.

CDu
07-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Colin Cowherd specifically mentioned JJ this morning as being a guy who would be a great addition to the Clippers since they have no one who can consistently shoot outside of 12 feet. Almost drove off the road when I heard his positive Redick comment.

For all of Cowherd's flaws, Duke hating is not one of them. He is all about some Duke. He loves winners.

gam7
07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
For all of Cowherd's flaws, Duke hating is not one of them. He is all about some Duke. He loves winners.

Oh I agree with that. I actually think Colin is a great radio personality, and I'm not all that sensitive about what many on this board view as an anti-Duke media bias. It was just surprising to me in general to hear a national radio guy talking about Redick being the potential missing piece to a real championship contender. Never really heard anyone talk about Redick that way on a national level. Usually when you hear comments like those about a Duke guy, they are talking about Battier.

JasonEvans
07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Why would the Clips need to do a sign and trade on Reddick? Isn't he just a straight-up free agent? Is he still restricted? How can that be after this many years in the league?

-Jason

Dev11
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I think it was OK until Dwight starting shading his former mates after he left. JJ publically responded

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/magic-basketblog/os-mbb-jj-redick-responds-to-dwight-howard-comment-20130307,0,6338397.post

"J.J. Redick didn’t like Dwight Howard’s recent comment that the Orlando Magic were “a team full of people who nobody wanted.”

Before the Milwaukee Bucks’ game Wednesday night against the Los Angeles Clippers, Redick was asked about what Howard had said.

"I'm not surprised by it,” Redick said, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com. “I would be more surprised when Dwight starts taking responsibility. That would be the most negative thing I can say, but that's the truth."

Apparently I can't spork you, so thanks for the answer.

Redick and Dunleavy should have no problem finding good spots for themselves.

Nolan has an uphill battle. I recall somebody posted here a couple months ago, after Portland announced they weren't picking up Nolan's option, that very few guys play after not getting said option. Nolan could be the exception because he is so well-liked all over the league, but we shall see.

pfrduke
07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Why would the Clips need to do a sign and trade on Reddick? Isn't he just a straight-up free agent? Is he still restricted? How can that be after this many years in the league?

-Jason

The player's existing team can offer a larger contract than any other team. So a sign-and-trade can be an inducement to the player, with the acquiring team agreeing to pay the larger "returning" team contract.

Alternatively, cap space may have something to do with it - I'm not sure what the Clips' situation looks like, but a sign and trade may be necessary to have that kind of acquisition in light of where their cap space sits.

Dev11
07-01-2013, 07:48 PM
The player's existing team can offer a larger contract than any other team. So a sign-and-trade can be an inducement to the player, with the acquiring team agreeing to pay the larger "returning" team contract.

Alternatively, cap space may have something to do with it - I'm not sure what the Clips' situation looks like, but a sign and trade may be necessary to have that kind of acquisition in light of where their cap space sits.

Well they have two players on $100M deals, right? I can't imagine they have gobs of space.

Billy Dat
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
Mike Dunleavy has gone ahead and verbally committed to sign two-year, $6M deal with Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the deal

Dev11
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Mike Dunleavy has gone ahead and verbally committed to sign two-year, $6M deal with Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the deal

Ooh, if they don't manage to trade Luol, that's a 3 Devil team!

theAlaskanBear
07-01-2013, 08:41 PM

beat me to it! I imagine they will let Marco Bellinelli walk now.

CDu
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM

Ooh, if they don't manage to trade Luol, that's a 3 Devil team!

Wow, this is fantastic news! Dunleavy is a PERFECT fit for the Bulls as the backup to both Butler and Deng. I can't believe that the Bulls are actually using their resources to add a quality player. And not just that, but adding the correct type of player!

Suddenly, our bench will no longer lack scoring punch. This is just awesome. And it doesn't hurt that it's yet another Blue Devil on my favorite team.

Now, they just need to address the situation at backup C and we're ready to rock.

Of course, there is a big part of me that suspects this means we'll be trading Deng... but I'm trying not to think about that for now.

theAlaskanBear
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow, this is fantastic news! Dunleavy is a PERFECT fit for the Bulls as the backup to both Butler and Deng. I can't believe that the Bulls are actually using their resources to add a quality player. And not just that, but adding the correct type of player!

Suddenly, our bench will no longer lack scoring punch. This is just awesome. And it doesn't hurt that it's yet another Blue Devil on my favorite team.

Now, they just need to address the situation at backup C and we're ready to rock.

Of course, there is a big part of me that suspects this means we'll be trading Deng... but I'm trying not to think about that for now.

What are your thoughts on Gar letting Thib's top assistant go? A Chi Tribune reporter has been saying the Foreman-Thib relationship is the worst in the league between a GM and a coach, and that Adams wasn't renewed because he was a critic of letting Asik go.

CDu
07-01-2013, 09:06 PM
What are your thoughts on Gar letting Thib's top assistant go? A Chi Tribune reporter has been saying the Foreman-Thib relationship is the worst in the league between a GM and a coach, and that Adams wasn't renewed because he was a critic of letting Asik go.

Well, I've never been a fan of the Bulls' front office. Not when Krause was there, not when Paxson was GM, and ESPECIALLY not now with Forman as GM. This certainly didn't help matters. It smells of a power play by Forman to show Thibs who is boss.

The scuttlebutt is that Adams complained about some of the front office decisions last summer, and Forman held resentment over that ever since. And so when Adams' contract came up, Forman told him "thanks, now see the door." I'm sure that Thibs is not pleased about the decision (to say the least), but it's kind of a moot issue. Thibs signed an extension, so he's not going anywhere. And it's not like he's going to tank on the team to spite his boss (that's just not his nature - competitive even to a fault).

Ultimately, I think the coach/GM relationship is overrated as long as both are under contract. Forman certainly values Thibs' opinion on player acquisitions (the draft picks under Forman/Thibs have almost all been prototype Thibs players). Hopefully they get past this issue in the coming season(s) and hopefully Thibs won't let it affect his decision next time his contract is up.

brevity
07-02-2013, 04:31 AM
New Orleans has reportedly offered (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9442956/new-orleans-pelicans-make-offer-tyreke-evans-according-report) Sacramento Kings restricted free agent Tyreke Evans $40-48 million for 4 years. Unless Sacramento wants to play him with Ben McLemore, they probably won't match it.

If this happens, I think this is good news for two reasons. It makes Eric Gordon expendable and tradeable, and it means that New Orleans will probably not have the money to try and overspend to get Andre Iguodala. (The fact that they went after Evans first instead of Iguodala seems to confirm this.) Maybe they can pursue a small forward who is younger and cheaper.

JasonEvans
07-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Here is a list (http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm) of all 173 free agents this summer which ranks them from #1 (Dwight Howard) to #173 (Juwan Howard). A few interesting notes among the rankings.

#2- Josh Smith - I don't think I would rank this "I love to shoot jumpers even though I can't make them" athlete as the 2nd best FA in the class
#3 - Andre Igoudala - someone will probably offer a max contract that will look really bad in a few years
#5 - Al Jefferson and #6 David West - I'd want either of these guys before Josh Smith
#8 - Andrew Bynum - I'd be terrified to give him big money so he can get hurt and not play
#25 - Gerald Henderson - Dukie shows up!
#26 - JJ Redick - I expect him to be a bit higher on this list and he will be an in-demand free agent
#38 - Elton Brand - with $161 mil in career earnings, he'll be looking for a contender that wants rebounding help for 15 mins a game on the cheap. Miami?
#41 - Nate Robinson - someone will sign him cheap and get a lot more than expected from this tiny bundle of energy
#43 - Tyler Hasbro - Love the description: "Nasty (or borderline dirty) big man..."
#44 - DeJaun Blair - I bet he finds a nice role somewhere and averages 10+ ppg and 7+ rpg
#49 - Mike Dunleavy Jr - Already found a home in Chi-town
#50 - Antwan Jamison - How much is left in the tank? Has made $141 mil in career so likely just looking for a contender who may help him get a ring
#71 - Josh McRoberts - Charlotte wants him back. Can he get a 2 or 3-year guaranteed deal?
#82 - Corey Maggette - Had trouble getting off bench in Detroit. Doubt many teams will be interested in him but someone will want this vet.
#90 - Dahntay Jones - Will find a role with someone who wants some D in the backcourt, but not the Lakers ;)
#96 - Greg Oden - Ahhh, what could have been... sigh.
#135 - Nolan Smith - Speculation he will play overseas next year.
#149 - Chris Duhon - If no one wants him, he will take the $31 mil he has made in his career and do quite nicely in whatever comes next (coaching?).
#168 - Darko Milicic - Free Darko!!!
#173 - Juwon Howard - Like having an extra assistant coach on your roster. Definition of a wise veteran.

-Jason "fun list - look at the money each Free Agent has earned, some impressive totals!" Evans

superdave
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Here is a list (http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm) of all 173 free agents this summer which ranks them from #1 (Dwight Howard) to #173 (Juwan Howard). A few interesting notes among the rankings.

#2- Josh Smith - I don't think I would rank this "I love to shoot jumpers even though I can't make them" athlete as the 2nd best FA in the class
#3 - Andre Igoudala - someone will probably offer a max contract that will look really bad in a few years
#5 - Al Jefferson and #6 David West - I'd want either of these guys before Josh Smith
#8 - Andrew Bynum - I'd be terrified to give him big money so he can get hurt and not play
#25 - Gerald Henderson - Dukie shows up!
#26 - JJ Redick - I expect him to be a bit higher on this list and he will be an in-demand free agent
#38 - Elton Brand - with $161 mil in career earnings, he'll be looking for a contender that wants rebounding help for 15 mins a game on the cheap. Miami?
#41 - Nate Robinson - someone will sign him cheap and get a lot more than expected from this tiny bundle of energy
#43 - Tyler Hasbro - Love the description: "Nasty (or borderline dirty) big man..."
#44 - DeJaun Blair - I bet he finds a nice role somewhere and averages 10+ ppg and 7+ rpg
#49 - Mike Dunleavy Jr - Already found a home in Chi-town
#50 - Antwan Jamison - How much is left in the tank? Has made $141 mil in career so likely just looking for a contender who may help him get a ring
#71 - Josh McRoberts - Charlotte wants him back. Can he get a 2 or 3-year guaranteed deal?
#82 - Corey Maggette - Had trouble getting off bench in Detroit. Doubt many teams will be interested in him but someone will want this vet.
#90 - Dahntay Jones - Will find a role with someone who wants some D in the backcourt, but not the Lakers ;)
#96 - Greg Oden - Ahhh, what could have been... sigh.
#135 - Nolan Smith - Speculation he will play overseas next year.
#149 - Chris Duhon - If no one wants him, he will take the $31 mil he has made in his career and do quite nicely in whatever comes next (coaching?).
#168 - Darko Milicic - Free Darko!!!
#173 - Juwon Howard - Like having an extra assistant coach on your roster. Definition of a wise veteran.

-Jason "fun list - look at the money each Free Agent has earned, some impressive totals!" Evans

I was reading last night that Josh Smith has great metrics - both inividual and plus-minus. I think if he found the rght coach and system, and learned to be a little more deferetial, he'd be better (or at least less fristrating). Plus he fits into the category of a 4 who can play the 5 and allow the team to play smallball. He's an intriguing big guy but you probably only want him as a 3rd option.

As for the other top bigs on the list, West is getting some age on him and Al Jefferson really needs the ball in his hands a lot. I guess that means David West will get a little less money, and probably stay put in Indy where he fits well. I dont know where Jefferson winds up. He's a stud on one end, but not on the other. I think there will be more interest in Peckovic than these two though. Someone may throw $50 million his way.

Super "JJ Redick just turned 29" Dave

Henderson
07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Nice link. Thanks.

Gerald Henderson has a qualifying offer from the Bobcats, making him a restricted free agent and allowing the Bobcats to match any offer from another team. Sounds to me like the Bobcats want him back if they can afford him. Does a "qualifying offer" obligate the Bobcats to sign him at that price if Gerald Henderson chooses to accept? That is, does GH now have the Bobcats offer in his back pocket as he negotiates with other teams?

Happy for Mike Dunleavy; hopeful for Duhon and Nolan. Nolan in particular hasn't been able to cash out yet, unlike McRoberts, Brand, Duhon, and the other veterans.

CDu
07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Nice link. Thanks.

Gerald Henderson has a qualifying offer from the Bobcats, making him a restricted free agent and allowing the Bobcats to match any offer from another team. Sounds to me like the Bobcats want him back if they can afford him. Does a "qualifying offer" obligate the Bobcats to sign him at that price if Gerald Henderson chooses to accept? That is, does GH now have the Bobcats offer in his back pocket as he negotiates with other teams?

Happy for Mike Dunleavy; hopeful for Duhon and Nolan. Nolan in particular hasn't been able to cash out yet, unlike McRoberts, Brand, Duhon, and the other veterans.

Yes. Although the qualifying offer is simply a one-year deal for a slight raise over what he currently makes. Presumably any free agent offer he'd get would be better than that anyway.

But, in the worst-case scenario that nobody offers him a long-term deal, Henderson would have a one-year deal guaranteed and would then become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Li_Duke
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
New Orleans has reportedly offered (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9442956/new-orleans-pelicans-make-offer-tyreke-evans-according-report) Sacramento Kings restricted free agent Tyreke Evans $40-48 million for 4 years. Unless Sacramento wants to play him with Ben McLemore, they probably won't match it.

If this happens, I think this is good news for two reasons. It makes Eric Gordon expendable and tradeable, and it means that New Orleans will probably not have the money to try and overspend to get Andre Iguodala. (The fact that they went after Evans first instead of Iguodala seems to confirm this.) Maybe they can pursue a small forward who is younger and cheaper.

Expendable, yes. Tradeable? Not so sure with his injury history and contract size. I hate the signing for New Orleans as I greatly prefer a healthy Gordon over a healthy Evans. Evans has been only slightly more healthy than Gordon over the past 3 years.

luvdahops
07-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Totally agree with all of this. Perfect fit and a better overall player than the Bulls have had in this slot (Eg Korver, Bellinelli) over the past few years. As for Deng, i really think the Bulls are committed to at least one last run with the current core, but that may be wishful thinking.

luvdahops
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Well, I've never been a fan of the Bulls' front office. Not when Krause was there, not when Paxson was GM, and ESPECIALLY not now with Forman as GM. This certainly didn't help matters. It smells of a power play by Forman to show Thibs who is boss.

The scuttlebutt is that Adams complained about some of the front office decisions last summer, and Forman held resentment over that ever since. And so when Adams' contract came up, Forman told him "thanks, now see the door." I'm sure that Thibs is not pleased about the decision (to say the least), but it's kind of a moot issue. Thibs signed an extension, so he's not going anywhere. And it's not like he's going to tank on the team to spite his boss (that's just not his nature - competitive even to a fault).

Ultimately, I think the coach/GM relationship is overrated as long as both are under contract. Forman certainly values Thibs' opinion on player acquisitions (the draft picks under Forman/Thibs have almost all been prototype Thibs players). Hopefully they get past this issue in the coming season(s) and hopefully Thibs won't let it affect his decision next time his contract is up.

Latest spin is apparently "repeated acts of insubordination" by Adams over the past year. Whatever that may really mean, it certainly reinforces the notion of this being a power play by Forman.

Des Esseintes
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Expendable, yes. Tradeable? Not so sure with his injury history and contract size. I hate the signing for New Orleans as I greatly prefer a healthy Gordon over a healthy Evans. Evans has been only slightly more healthy than Gordon over the past 3 years.

Agreed. People were saying New Orleans had already torpedoed its Gordon trade leverage dealing for Holliday. This move, should it succeed, would only further diminish their hand. And to what end? Evans has regressed nearly every year he's been in the league. No idea what is happening with the Pelicans. They had a pristine cap sheet and immediately set about mucking it up with bizarre contracts.

JasonEvans
07-02-2013, 01:52 PM
JJ Redick has reportedly gotten (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/2/4486694/nba-free-agency-rumors-jj-redick-minnesota-timberwolves) a 4-year, $30 mil offer from the TWolves. $7.5 mil a year is good money and a raise over JJ's previous 3-year, $20-mil deal that paid him an average of $6.66 mil per season. It will be interesting to see if other teams want to raise the ante for one of the better shooters in the league.

-Jason "I'd love to see JJ on a better club, but with Kevin Love and Rubio to feed him the ball, JJ could do quite well in Minnesota" Evans

Duvall
07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
JJ Redick has reportedly gotten (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/2/4486694/nba-free-agency-rumors-jj-redick-minnesota-timberwolves) a 4-year, $30 mil offer from the TWolves. $7.5 mil a year is good money and a raise over JJ's previous 3-year, $20-mil deal that paid him an average of $6.66 mil per season. It will be interesting to see if other teams want to raise the ante for one of the better shooters in the league.

-Jason "I'd love to see JJ on a better club, but with Kevin Love and Rubio to feed him the ball, JJ could do quite well in Minnesota" Evans

...assuming that Love is still in Minnesota after next season. Not sure Redick wants to be present for another ugly breakup between big man and franchise.

InSpades
07-02-2013, 02:16 PM

It's great to see someone's hard work pay off so handsomely. I too wish JJ would go to a better team so we could get to see more of him but a $30M contract is a $30M contract wherever you sign it.

Guys like Dunleavy and Redick are shining examples of the type of NBA players that Duke produces. They might not be all-stars but they are solid rotation guys that teams are built around. 5th best school at producing NBA players? Laugh.

Henderson
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
They might not be all-stars but they are solid rotation guys that teams are built around.

Then there are the NBA all-stars you don't mention.

JasonEvans
07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
According to an ESPN NY reporter (https://twitter.com/JaredZwerling/status/352077894006210562), Elton and the Knicks are hot for each other. Elton wants to go back to his home state - he probably grew up dreaming of being the next Willis Reed or Patrick Ewing - and he is quite interested in being with a winning team.

Not sure what kind of money they are talking about. Elton made $2.1 mil last season and I wouldn't expect him to make any more than that next year.

-Jason "also, take David West off the free agent list -- he's returning to the Pacers for a 3-years, $36-mil deal that is could look ugly in year three... thank goodness they didn't go to 4 years on that deal!" Evans

theAlaskanBear
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM

I imagine that he would rather go to the Clips than the Twolves, but Clips would have to do a sign-and-trade, which makes it more difficult. However, the great news for JJ is that these teams are looking for him to be a starter.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/351959564943499265

theAlaskanBear
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Some good news for Nolan Smith -- he will be on the Celtics summer league team:

https://twitter.com/scott_souza/status/352053644255961091

CoachJ10
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Chanting "Let's go Devils" will be heard as often as "Let's go Bulls" @ the United Center this season. Now we just need to get Jay Williams back in his Bulls jersey...

brevity
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Roundup:

Minnesota to sign Kevin Martin (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/twolves/2013/07/02/minnesota-timberwolves-kevin-martin/2484819/) (4 years, $30M) and retain Chase Budinger (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--budinger-returning-to-timberwolves-211741651.html) (3 years, $16M).

San Antonio to retain Tiago Splitter (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--spurs-finalizing--45-million-deal-with-tiago-splitter-195615678.html) (4 years, $36M).

Washington to retain Martell Webster (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--martell-webster-agrees-to-re-sign-with-washington-wizards-122716670.html) (4 years, $22M)

JBDuke
07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Discussion of JJ Redick's trade to the Clippers can be found in this other thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?31556-Redick-coming-to-LA-Clippers-in-a-trade). Future posts regarding JJ in this here thread will be moved.

tommy
07-02-2013, 11:58 PM

Probably doesn't mean great things for Austin Rivers, though. Between trading for Jrue Holiday, offering Evans, and yes they still have Gordon as well, where do the Pelicans see Austin fitting in, if anywhere? Are they really giving up on a kid with that kind of talent (and those bloodlines) who is what, maybe 19 or 20 years old, after one year of college and one year as a pro?

brevity
07-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Probably doesn't mean great things for Austin Rivers, though. Between trading for Jrue Holiday, offering Evans, and yes they still have Gordon as well, where do the Pelicans see Austin fitting in, if anywhere? Are they really giving up on a kid with that kind of talent (and those bloodlines) who is what, maybe 19 or 20 years old, after one year of college and one year as a pro?

I hope not. It was nice to see him drafted as the #10 pick in 2012, but that came with a significant burden to produce as a rookie. It didn't help his cause that Greivis Vasquez put up big numbers instead. The people who made that draft decision are still here, so clearly he must figure into their plans, whatever they may be. If they want a starting backcourt of Holiday and Evans, maybe they see Rivers as a tweener guard off the bench, with arguably less pressure to produce than in his rookie year. Then there's the fates of Vasquez and Gordon, and the whole small forward issue.

Lots of movable parts. Million-dollar musical chairs. This is why the free agent period is fun. From a safe distance it's fascinating to watch the Pelicans try to figure it out.

Des Esseintes
07-04-2013, 02:55 PM
This (http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/04/al-jefferson-charlotte-bobcats-agree/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp) is, like, of course.

Duvall
07-04-2013, 04:06 PM

Belinelli to Spurs. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--spurs-reach-agreement-to-sign-marco-belinelli-195549381.html)

Good news for Dunleavy, bad news for Danny Green?

brevity
07-04-2013, 06:50 PM
More movement. Tyreke Evans (http://www.nba.com/2013/news/07/04/kings-deal-evans-in-three-way-trade/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts) will soon be a Pelican, with Sacramento's blessing and Portland's involvement:

Evans, who agreed to a four-year, $44 million offer sheet earlier this week, will go to New Orleans in a sign-and-trade deal. The Kings will receive guard Greivis Vasquez from the Hornets, with Pelicans center Robin Lopez going from New Orleans to Portland. The Blazers will send two future second-round picks to Sacramento.

Good move... for Sacramento and Portland. Someone will have to explain to me why New Orleans gave up tradeable assets to acquire a player that they could have just acquired for the same amount as a free agent. I understand that the Pelicans want to shed some payroll, but it's not like they can't make separate moves next week.

And now I'm reading that the Pelicans want to use Evans off the bench (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-07-01/tyreke-evans-pelicans-nba-free-agency-jrue-holiday-anthony-davis-nerlens-noel-nb) in a Manu Ginobili-like role. The top free agent priority is a bench player? Who is getting paid 8 figures to not start? Who they think resembles Ginobili? And with the small forward opening completely unaddressed? This doesn't make sense on a few levels.

CDu
07-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Belinelli to Spurs. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--spurs-reach-agreement-to-sign-marco-belinelli-195549381.html)

Good news for Dunleavy, bad news for Danny Green?

I don't think it really affects either guy. Dunleavy was going to get his minutes. And Belinelli will be replacing Gary Neal and relieving Manu of some of his minutes.

Green will continue to get his minutes as a defender and floor spacer.

Newton_14
07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't think it really affects either guy. Dunleavy was going to get his minutes. And Belinelli will be replacing Gary Neal and relieving Manu of some of his minutes.

Green will continue to get his minutes as a defender and floor spacer.

Agree. If anything Green played his way into more minutes in the playoffs and especially the Finals. Still not sure how he now shoots the NBA 3 a heck of a lot better than he ever did the College 3 at the Dump at the Hump. Still smh at that...

But unless he stops making 3's he's not losing that starting gig or minutes. Also agree on Mikey. As long as he stays healthy he will get minutes. I may be wrong, but will always believe Dunleavy had the potential to be a perennial All Star had the injury bug not bitten him so hard. One of our more talented guys imho. (h for humble)

moonpie23
07-04-2013, 10:16 PM
But unless he stops making 3's)

umm...he did......did you watch games 6 and 7?

Newton_14
07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
umm...he did......did you watch games 6 and 7?

Yep and make no mistake I am no fan of Dancin Danny. Just stating facts. The difference in those two games was the defense. A lot harder to make shots when covered. The guy still shattered the record for made 3's in the finals. Stop making me do this geez, I need a shower now... DG was one of my least favorite heels of all time....

vick
07-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Well, let's look at players who struggled as badly as Rivers did his rookie year. I looked at guards in the three-point era, and used PER as my metric, which isn't perfect by any stretch, but I'm pretty certain you'll get quite similar results using other metrics. Among players who recorded 500 minutes, here are the bottom 10 players (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=1980&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=lt&c1val=&c2stat=mp&c2comp=gt&c2val=500&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per&order_by_asc=Y) and what their subsequent careers looked like:

* Doron Lamb, 12-13 (4.8) - Unknown
* Cory Carr, 98-99 (5.1) - Never played NBA ball again
* Walker Russell, 82-83 (5.3) - Played 5 more years, never recording more than 511 minutes in a season, 2 total starts
* Kareem Rush, 02-03 (5.8) - Among these players, a success who played 6 seasons and was an occasional starter on mostly undistinguished teams. Never close to a league average player by PER
* Austin Rivers, 12-13 (5.9) - Unknown
* Howard Eisley, 94-95 (6.1) - The best player in this group, he played 11 seasons and was a relatively capable backup point guard. Never a league average player by PER
* Billy Reid, 80-81 (6.2) - Never played NBA ball again
* Orien Greene, 05-06 (6.4) - Played a little over 300 minutes in the rest of his career
* Junior Harrington, 02-03 (6.4) - Two more seasons, playing a little over 500 minutes in each. Atrocious numbers in those seasons
* Bryan Warrick, 82-83 (6.5) - Three more seasons of fairly bad basketball, the most minutes he played in any season after his rookie year was 713. Bad statistics

So, of the eight players we have information about, two never played again, four accomplished practically nothing positive, one (Rush) occasionally gave quality minutes, and one (Eisley) was a bona fide backup-quality NBA player for decade, with a few years starting thrown in. Now Rivers was a year or two younger than these guys, so his odds are probably a bit better, but it would be frankly managerial malpractice to plan your team around him becoming a quality NBA player. I hope he does--and he certainly can, don't get me wrong--but as a GM, you almost have to plan otherwise and hope for the best.

westwall
07-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Don't know if this has been noted elsewhere, but the Pacers withdrew their qualifying offer to Tyler after David West re-upped. Thus Tyler has been discarded and is now a free agent. Kent Sterling.com provides this devastating commentary on Tyler's departure:

"... his offensive game was limited to crashing into defenders and occasionally getting a good roll, a call from a kind referee, or both."

Kind of sums up his college career also, doesn't it??

chrishoke
07-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Don't know if this has been noted elsewhere, but the Pacers withdrew their qualifying offer to Tyler after David West re-upped. Thus Tyler has been discarded and is now a free agent. Kent Sterling.com provides this devastating commentary on Tyler's departure:

"... his offensive game was limited to crashing into defenders and occasionally getting a good roll, a call from a kind referee, or both."

Kind of sums up his college career also, doesn't it??

You would have to make referee plural.

FerryFor50
07-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Golden State is the winner in the "who will overpay Andre" sweepstakes.

http://nba.si.com/2013/07/05/warriors-sign-andre-iguodala-jazz-trade-richard-jefferson-andris-biedrins/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

JasonEvans
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Lots of talk that the Rockets are going to give Dwight Howard some extra help by doing a sign-and-trade with the Hawks for Josh Smith. I am not sure how they are going to make the salary cap stuff work, but apparently, the Rockets will send Atlanta Omer Asik (who does not want to stay in Houston if DH goes there) in exchange for sign and trading Josh Smith.

As a Hawks fan can I just say that this would be the second greatest trade in Hawks history!! Asik for Josh's free agent rights is a ridiculous steal. Asik is a rebounder and defender in the post, likely a legit starting NBA center for the next 7 years (he just turned 27 yesterday). He would be a fabulous addition to the Hawks...

...perhaps too fabulous. I worry that with Asik and Al Horford on the front line (which would be one of the best defensive front-courts in basketball), the Hawks will win too many games to really be in the Wiggins, Parker, Randle sweepstakes. Many teams are apparently angling to tank the coming season to put themselves in position to get a high lottery pick in the loaded 2014 draft. Still, I'll take the Hawks just being mediocre instead of being godawful if it means setting themselves up for a nice future with Asik in the middle. Big men don't grow on trees!

-Jason "the Rockets with Smith and Howard will be extremely mercurial... and block a ridiculous number of shots" Evans

FerryFor50
07-05-2013, 10:56 PM
OJ Mayo signs with the Bucks

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/05/oj-mayo-signs-with-bucks/?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp

UrinalCake
07-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Looks pretty official now that Dwight is going to Houston.

Does Hansbrough getting dumped open the door for Miles to see some floor time? UNC fans will love that.

Newton_14
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Looks pretty official now that Dwight is going to Houston.

Does Hansbrough getting dumped open the door for Miles to see some floor time? UNC fans will love that.

I would hope this means Miles slides into the slot Hans departure makes available. That would be awesome. I am anxious to see if Miles can play NBA ball and make Indiana look smart for taking him in Rd 1.

tommy
07-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Lots of talk that the Rockets are going to give Dwight Howard some extra help by doing a sign-and-trade with the Hawks for Josh Smith. I am not sure how they are going to make the salary cap stuff work, but apparently, the Rockets will send Atlanta Omer Asik (who does not want to stay in Houston if DH goes there) in exchange for sign and trading Josh Smith.

As a Hawks fan can I just say that this would be the second greatest trade in Hawks history!! Asik for Josh's free agent rights is a ridiculous steal. Asik is a rebounder and defender in the post, likely a legit starting NBA center for the next 7 years (he just turned 27 yesterday). He would be a fabulous addition to the Hawks...

...perhaps too fabulous. I worry that with Asik and Al Horford on the front line (which would be one of the best defensive front-courts in basketball), the Hawks will win too many games to really be in the Wiggins, Parker, Randle sweepstakes. Many teams are apparently angling to tank the coming season to put themselves in position to get a high lottery pick in the loaded 2014 draft. Still, I'll take the Hawks just being mediocre instead of being godawful if it means setting themselves up for a nice future with Asik in the middle. Big men don't grow on trees!

-Jason "the Rockets with Smith and Howard will be extremely mercurial... and block a ridiculous number of shots" Evans

Now if the Hawks also sign Paul Millsap, formerly of Utah -- and this appears imminent -- wow, all of a sudden, Atlanta will be quite formidable in the paint. And when is the last time that sentence was written, and meant?

FerryFor50
07-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Now if the Hawks also sign Paul Millsap, formerly of Utah -- and this appears imminent -- wow, all of a sudden, Atlanta will be quite formidable in the paint. And when is the last time that sentence was written, and meant?

Not since the era of Jon Koncack and Joe Wolf...

But they still need a point guard, unless Jeff Teague gets a lot better soon...

moonpie23
07-06-2013, 12:44 AM
does this mean hanstravel goes to work for chapel hill beemer?

tommy
07-06-2013, 12:45 AM

Do they still have Lou Williams too? He's not bad. But this is the kind of team I'd love to see Nolan Smith get a shot with. I know he's headed to Boston, but there's little chance for meaningful PT there when Rondo is healthy. If his competition was only Williams and Teague, plus German import Dennis Schroeder, I think Nolan'd have a better shot.

CDu
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM

Teague averaged 14.6 ppg and 7.2 apg last year. That seems pretty good to me.

A-Tex Devil
07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
It's been a pretty funny spin cycle from the WWL (and others) the last 24 hours. As soon as the Dwight Howard to Houston rumors started up, Chris Broussard and Chris Palmer immediately start citing "sources" that the Lakers might have lured him back (despite nothing concrete ever coming out and the Lakers pretty much denying it). Then we get some finality that it's official.

Now.... Dwight deserves zero benefit of the doubt for what he did in Orlando, but someone explain to me how THIS PARTICULAR signing should shed a bad light on Howard? He met with 5 teams, told the four he wasn't going to the bad news, including flying to LA to tell the Lakers in person, then called the Rockets. And he didn't drag the process out through July (he couldn't meet with teams until 7/1 and decided on 7/5).

So I guess what I'm saying is that all of the articles coming out about how poorly Dwight Howard treated this particular signing with the Rockets kinda rely on his past behavior and completely ignore how this signing actually went down.

Anyway --- I guess this is a bit of a rant, and Dwight Howard probably brought some of this on himself with his past behavior, but I've been a little shocked that the process he's gone through the last 7 days is being seen as poorly handled.

Edit to add: The Rockets are going to have a hard time unloading Asik, and Asik wants to go apparently. Should be interesting. I will not doubt Daryl Morey, but getting Josh Smith seems a little tough now that Milsaps signed with Atlanta -- doesn't seem like a fit for Asik with Horford there as well. I think you'll see the Rockets end up with Anderson from NoLa and perhaps some wing 3 and D guys through a Lin trade -- relying on Beverly and their rookie draft pick at PG.

toooskies
07-06-2013, 01:00 PM
It's been a pretty funny spin cycle from the WWL (and others) the last 24 hours. As soon as the Dwight Howard to Houston rumors started up, Chris Broussard and Chris Palmer immediately start citing "sources" that the Lakers might have lured him back (despite nothing concrete ever coming out and the Lakers pretty much denying it). Then we get some finality that it's official.

Now.... Dwight deserves zero benefit of the doubt for what he did in Orlando, but someone explain to me how THIS PARTICULAR signing should shed a bad light on Howard? He met with 5 teams, told the four he wasn't going to the bad news, including flying to LA to tell the Lakers in person, then called the Rockets. And he didn't drag the process out through July (he couldn't meet with teams until 7/1 and decided on 7/5).

So I guess what I'm saying is that all of the articles coming out about how poorly Dwight Howard treated this particular signing with the Rockets kinda rely on his past behavior and completely ignore how this signing actually went down.

Anyway --- I guess this is a bit of a rant, and Dwight Howard probably brought some of this on himself with his past behavior, but I've been a little shocked that the process he's gone through the last 7 days is being seen as poorly handled.

Edit to add: The Rockets are going to have a hard time unloading Asik, and Asik wants to go apparently. Should be interesting. I will not doubt Daryl Morey, but getting Josh Smith seems a little tough now that Milsaps signed with Atlanta -- doesn't seem like a fit for Asik with Horford there as well. I think you'll see the Rockets end up with Anderson from NoLa and perhaps some wing 3 and D guys through a Lin trade -- relying on Beverly and their rookie draft pick at PG.

I agree with the Dwight coverage. I think a guy went and told the Lakers the news before he should have, and afterwards tried to spin it as "uh, Dwight isn't sure" when Dwight wanted to tell them in person. This is the problem with unnamed sources. Luckily, it's just sports.

As for unloading Asik-- he isn't dead weight, just so long as a team is willing to sit out the max deal sweepstakes of 2014 and pay the big money in two years.

A-Tex Devil
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I agree with the Dwight coverage. I think a guy went and told the Lakers the news before he should have, and afterwards tried to spin it as "uh, Dwight isn't sure" when Dwight wanted to tell them in person. This is the problem with unnamed sources. Luckily, it's just sports.

As for unloading Asik-- he isn't dead weight, just so long as a team is willing to sit out the max deal sweepstakes of 2014 and pay the big money in two years.

True on Asik -- he is valuable, but that's a lot of money for him in 2014 and 2015. NoLa is now saying there isn't any kind of Anderson for Asik deal on the table. I think the Rockets have to get rid of Asik, but that poison pill they put in to prevent Chicago from resigning him may come back to haunt Houston re: the value they end up getting for Asik. It would be tough to have both him and Howard on the court at any key point in the game with their free throw proclivities.

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2013, 02:17 PM
True on Asik -- he is valuable, but that's a lot of money for him in 2014 and 2015. NoLa is now saying there isn't any kind of Anderson for Asik deal on the table. I think the Rockets have to get rid of Asik, but that poison pill they put in to prevent Chicago from resigning him may come back to haunt Houston re: the value they end up getting for Asik. It would be tough to have both him and Howard on the court at any key point in the game with their free throw proclivities.

I don't think you would ever see Howard and Asik on the same court regardless of their free throw shooting. They would get in each others way rebounding and get in each others way on offense. Neither have the ability to play a face-up 4.

I think Asik would be great paired next to Horford and Millsap -- that instantly becomes a top-4 eastern conference front-court. Right up there with Chicago, Indiana, possibly Brooklyn. Great moves by Ferry if they are finalized.

FerryFor50
07-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't think you would ever see Howard and Asik on the same court regardless of their free throw shooting. They would get in each others way rebounding and get in each others way on offense. Neither have the ability to play a face-up 4.

I think Asik would be great paired next to Horford and Millsap -- that instantly becomes a top-4 eastern conference front-court. Right up there with Chicago, Indiana, possibly Brooklyn. Great moves by Ferry if they are finalized.

Asik for Deng? Chicago gets Asik and Houston gets a reliable wing scorer/defender. Though that likely kills any deal for Smith...

theAlaskanBear
07-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Asik for Deng? Chicago gets Asik and Houston gets a reliable wing scorer/defender. Though that likely kills any deal for Smith...

There is no way in hades this happens. Chicago let him go for a reason...the structure of his salary, and they just fired an asst. coach as part of the collateral damage from that decision...plus, they drafted Murphy a big, and still have Gibson and Boozer. Terrible trade for Deng, imo. Asik is ready to be a starter...he and Noah would have the same problems as he and Dwight...

JasonEvans
07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Forget about the Asik to Atlanta for sign-and-trade Josh Smith. Ain't happening because Detroit just signed Josh Smith.

The Pistons will have the pleasure (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9454803/detroit-pistons-give-josh-smith-4-years-56m-sources-say) of Josh Smith pouting and shooting 3-pointers to the tune of $56 million over the next 4 years, $14 mil per season. What a bargain!

Word is that Houston really wanted Atlanta to take Jeremy Lin's horrible contract off their hands in a sign-and-trade. Danny Ferry laughed at that offer and Smith went to the Pistons instead.

Over the pat 12 hours or so, I had come around to not wanting Asik for the Hawks. I want this team to be bad next season -- really bad. I want to go for the Wiggins/Parker/Randle sweepstakes! Our new motto is: Woeful for Wiggins!!

-Jason "signing Milsaps was fine. We have to spend money on someone as it is illegal to be under 90% of the cap" Evans

FerryFor50
07-06-2013, 03:53 PM
There is no way in hades this happens. Chicago let him go for a reason...the structure of his salary, and they just fired an asst. coach as part of the collateral damage from that decision...plus, they drafted Murphy a big, and still have Gibson and Boozer. Terrible trade for Deng, imo. Asik is ready to be a starter...he and Noah would have the same problems as he and Dwight...

Chicago let him go because Houston outbid them. Then Asik showed he was worth the $$ this season with extended minutes. He's better than Taj Gibson and offers defense and rebounding like Noah. Plus, Noah showed he's not terribly durable.

I don't think the deal is that terrible, especially if Houston threw in a pick.

FerryFor50
07-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Forget about the Asik to Atlanta for sign-and-trade Josh Smith. Ain't happening because Detroit just signed Josh Smith.

The Pistons will have the pleasure (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9454803/detroit-pistons-give-josh-smith-4-years-56m-sources-say) of Josh Smith pouting and shooting 3-pointers to the tune of $56 million over the next 4 years, $14 mil per season. What a bargain!

Word is that Houston really wanted Atlanta to take Jeremy Lin's horrible contract off their hands in a sign-and-trade. Danny Ferry laughed at that offer and Smith went to the Pistons instead.

Over the pat 12 hours or so, I had come around to not wanting Asik for the Hawks. I want this team to be bad next season -- really bad. I want to go for the Wiggins/Parker/Randle sweepstakes! Our new motto is: Woeful for Wiggins!!

-Jason "signing Milsaps was fine. We have to spend money on someone as it is illegal to be under 90% of the cap" Evans

So much for Smith wanting to play for a winning team...

BD80
07-06-2013, 06:38 PM
So much for Smith wanting to play for a winning team...

Excuse me?

With all of the horrible teams in the east this year, whether intentionally bad or not, the Pistons are not only a playoff team (teams under .500 will make the playoffs) they will be a WINNING team this year.

Please note that I did NOT say that the Pistons would be a GOOD team this year :eek:

There will be teams seriously sucking for draft position. The Pistons owe their 2014 pick to the Bobcats, so it doesn't help them to suck. Its time for them to build a winning tradition.

toooskies
07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Per ESPN. (http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9455003)

Always respected him in college, glad he's a Cav. Hopefully his maturity, along with starting quality play, will drive the young guys to be better.

Certainly an upgrade over Shaun Livingston last year, who signs for the minimum with the Nets.

FerryFor50
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Hawks and Bucks are discussing a PG swap....

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/08/jeff-teague-brandon-jennings-trade/?sct=uk_t2_a5

With Josh Smith gone, they obviously are looking for another player to mindlessly jack up shot after shot.

Billy Dat
07-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Zach Lowe continues to prove his worth...

@ZachLowe
My proprietary analytics show TOR is 17 percent less watchable with Hansbrough, with wiggle room in either direction depending on minutes.

brevity
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
It's July 10, and free agency can officially begin. Time to dot your tees and cross your eyes.

Chris Paul (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22702017/chris-paul-officially-resigns-with-the-clippers), Clippers: 5 years, $107M, free Kia Optima insured by State Farm, Kobe's locker.
Mike Dunleavy Jr (http://www.nba.com/2013/news/07/10/bulls-mike-dunleavy.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts), Bulls: 2 years, $6M, book deal to publish The Dunleavy Rules.
Chris Andersen (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/10/3492707/chris-birdman-andersen-agrees.html), Heat: 1 year, estimated about $2M, plus free tattoos whenever he visits Columbus, OH.
Tyler Hansbrough (http://www.citynews.ca/2013/07/09/reports-raptors-sign-free-agent-tyler-hansbrough/), Raptors: 2 years, fake Canadian money.

pfrduke
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Bynum to the Cavs. Lots of young talent on that team (I forget sometimes, given how long he has been in the league, that Bynum is only 25).

Duvall
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Bynum to the Cavs. Lots of young talent on that team (I forget sometimes, given how long he has been in the league, that Bynum is only 25).

Cavs still need a small forward, though. Maybe they can find one in 2014.

roywhite
07-10-2013, 09:50 PM

I like it. We should get to see Kyrie on national TV games more often.

brevity
07-11-2013, 03:35 AM
The Pelicans have waived Lance Thomas (http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2013/07/new_orleans_pelicans_waive_f_l.html) to sign Greg Stiemsma (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/pelicans-sign-2-year-veteran-center-greg-stiemsma/2013/07/10/853d4d56-e9c6-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html).

Thomas would have earned the veteran's minimum of $884,293 this season with the Pelicans. He appeared in 101 games with New Orleans over two seasons averaging 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds in 12.6 minutes per game.

As the dust continues to settle in free agency, it will be interesting to see where he lands.

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Gerald Henderson negotiations with the Bobcats have stalled, so they are exploring sign and trade options.

Henderson wants market value, which is around 7.5-8 million.

The article also says that the Bobcats are interested in Monta Ellis. What 's silly is that they'd have to pay Ellis 10-12 million to shoot more and play less defense.

Top notch organization in Charlotte.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--bobcats-consider-sign-and-trade-offers-for-gerald-henderson-after-negotiations-stall-044448683.html

superdave
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Gerald Henderson negotiations with the Bobcats have stalled, so they are exploring sign and trade options.

Henderson wants market value, which is around 7.5-8 million.

The article also says that the Bobcats are interested in Monta Ellis. What 's silly is that they'd have to pay Ellis 10-12 million to shoot more and play less defense.

Top notch organization in Charlotte.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--bobcats-consider-sign-and-trade-offers-for-gerald-henderson-after-negotiations-stall-044448683.html

Henderson can also take the one-year option and be an unrestricted free agent next summer. He shot 33% from 3 this past season (33-100) which is up from 23% and 19% his previous two seasons. I suspect that is the key for him to ever get paid ($8+M per, for 3+ years). A two guard shooting less than 35% on 3s is fairly limited. But his 3 point % trend is getting better so maybe the one year option is best. Either way......get the heck out of Charlotte, Gerald!

superdave
07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Cavs still need a small forward, though. Maybe they can find one in 2014.

Cavs rotation looks like this

PG Irving, Quinn
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Thompson
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

There are not many SFs left. Kirilinko is probably too pricey and too old. Corey Brewer would not be an upgrade. They will likely bring back Casspi for cheap as a backup to Gee.

Best bet is to look for a SF in the 2014 draft and spend this season figuring out if Bynum can go, then looking to make the playoffs the following season.

TexHawk
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM

PG Irving, Quinn
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Thompson
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

Are you saying that the #1 pick in the draft won't make the rotation? ;)

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Henderson can also take the one-year option and be an unrestricted free agent next summer. He shot 33% from 3 this past season (33-100) which is up from 23% and 19% his previous two seasons. I suspect that is the key for him to ever get paid ($8+M per, for 3+ years). A two guard shooting less than 35% on 3s is fairly limited. But his 3 point % trend is getting better so maybe the one year option is best. Either way......get the heck out of Charlotte, Gerald!

Yea, but he's a 2 that can also play the 3. He doesn't need to shoot the 3 ball well to get $$.

This guy did ok without shooting the 3 very well:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/grant_hill/career_stats.html

Granted, (pun not intended) he was 3 inches taller and was more of a forward....

But this is a list of guards who shoot less than 35% from 3, average 15+ppg and make 7ish million:

Eric Gordon - 15 mil per year, 17ppg, 32% from 3
Aaron Afflalo - 7.7 mil per year, 16 ppg, 30% from 3
Monta Ellis - 10 mil per year, 19ppg, 29% from 3
Dwayne Wade - 17 mil, 21 ppg, 26% from 3

While Henderson is no Wade, it does show that he can be successful at the 2 without shooting well from 3 if he can drive and play D. I think he is most comparable to Afflalo, so 7-8 mil is totally fair.

It also shows that 3 pt shooting isn't that important to Charlotte, considering they are pursuing Monta Ellis, who makes 10 mil and shoots worse from 3...

But yes, I hope he does get out of Charlotte, too. :)

CDu
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Yea, but he's a 2 that can also play the 3. He doesn't need to shoot the 3 ball well to get $$.

Granted, (pun not intended) he was 3 inches taller and was more of a forward....

But this is a list of guards who shoot less than 35% from 3, average 15+ppg and make 7ish million:

While Henderson is no Wade, it does show that he can be successful at the 2 without shooting well from 3 if he can drive and play D. I think he is most comparable to Afflalo, so 7-8 mil is totally fair.

It also shows that 3 pt shooting isn't that important to Charlotte, considering they are pursuing Monta Ellis, who makes 10 mil and shoots worse from 3...

I wouldn't really consider Henderson much of a 3. He's very short for the 3 at the NBA level (NBA 3s are usually 6'7"-6'9"). That being said, I agree that you don't have to shoot the 3 well to be a good SG.

And I concur about getting the heck out of Charlotte if he can.

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't really consider Henderson much of a 3. He's very short for the 3 at the NBA level (NBA 3s are usually 6'7"-6'9"). That being said, I agree that you don't have to shoot the 3 well to be a good SG.

And I concur about getting the heck out of Charlotte if he can.

Yea but he's athletic enough to make up for the lack of height, IMO.

But agreed he's more of a 2.

superdave
07-11-2013, 10:38 AM

These guys you listed all dominate the ball. Henderson does not. He's more of a complimentary player than Wade, Ellis, Gordon who would all consider themselves primary options. Afflalo might be the best comp here.

superdave
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM

PG Irving, Quinn
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Bennett, Alonzo Gee
PF Thompson
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

There are not many SFs left. Kirilinko is probably too pricey and too old. Corey Brewer would not be an upgrade. They will likely bring back Casspi for cheap as a backup to Gee.

Best bet is to look for a SF in the 2014 draft and spend this season figuring out if Bynum can go, then looking to make the playoffs the following season.

Are you saying that the #1 pick in the draft won't make the rotation? ;)

Fixed! It's early....

If Bynum can go, and Bennett is solid, they may be a shooter or two away from being pretty good. Varajao's expiring deal in 2015 could bring a nice addition. I would not bet on Bynum though.

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 11:13 AM
These guys you listed all dominate the ball. Henderson does not. He's more of a complimentary player than Wade, Ellis, Gordon who would all consider themselves primary options. Afflalo might be the best comp here.

Yea, which is why Henderson is that much better value. He averages 15ppg without dominating the ball, plays great defense and can knock down the occasional 3.

I'd rather have a guy like that than a guy like Ellis who dominates the ball and isn't particularly great at doing it, especially when Ellis will cost 3-8 million more and potentially be more of an off court issue (like his broken ankle/moped incident).

GGLC
07-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm very skeptical about whether Bennett can be an effective small forward. If they wanted a small forward, they should have drafted Porter.

Duvall
07-11-2013, 12:22 PM

PG Irving, Quinn
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Thompson
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

Zeller's already gone from 1st round pick to the team's third center? I guess there are worse jobs in the NBA than being Andrew Bynum's backup.

luvdahops
07-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Fixed! It's early....

If Bynum can go, and Bennett is solid, they may be a shooter or two away from being pretty good. Varajao's expiring deal in 2015 could bring a nice addition. I would not bet on Bynum though.

Jarrett Jack?

toooskies
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm very skeptical about whether Bennett can be an effective small forward. If they wanted a small forward, they should have drafted Porter.

The current speculation on the Cleveland boards are that Bennett could slide to the 3 on offense and play 4 on defense while UFA signing Earl Clark would play 4o/3d, at least as an option, but that was pre-Bynum. How the Cavs' rotation works out could go in a variety of ways now. Varejao is a more natural 4 that can play the 5, so he could be the starting PF or just the backup C. Tristan Thompson isn't long enough to play the 5 at a high level, so you can't really roll out TT/Bennett/Clark for extended periods.

If you limit Bynum/Varejao's minutes (i.e. have them play 20 minutes each at C, and have Zeller clean up the rest) you can get a 28/20 split with TT/Bennett at the 4, which is somewhat realistic, you have a regular-season rotation. But this team is built for the playoffs, and a single purpose:

Cleveland saw how much a big team like the Pacers gave Miami trouble, and so the Cavs built this team to beat Miami. Best players are PG and C (both the starters and backups), which are the hardest spots for Miami's smallball team to guard; they drafted a guy first who's as tough a cover as you could get out of this draft, and he'll be able to guard the Battiers/Millers of the world; and TT/Clark/Gee match up pretty well defensively with Bosh/LeBron/Wade. If they can grab a 4/5 seed and squeak out a first round win, and get Miami in the second round....

In other words, you have a recipe for a competitive team that's sure to experience a soul-crushing loss somewhere along the way in the playoffs (if healthy).

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Bucks sign Jeff Teague to a 4 year offer sheet; Hawks may not try to match it.

Hawks might go after Jennings, like I mentioned previously:

http://nba.si.com/2013/07/11/jeff-teague-offer-sheet-milwaukee-bucks-atlanta-hawks/?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp

superdave
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
PG Irving, Jack
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Bennett, Gee
PF Thompson, Clark
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

I think Jack will play both the 1 and 2, and Bennett and Clark can play both the 3 and 4. Is that accurate?

That could be a crowded frontcourt IF everyone stays healthy. Big if.

superdave
07-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Bucks sign Jeff Teague to a 4 year offer sheet; Hawks may not try to match it.

Hawks might go after Jennings, like I mentioned previously:

http://nba.si.com/2013/07/11/jeff-teague-offer-sheet-milwaukee-bucks-atlanta-hawks/?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp

Would Jennings and Teague benefit from a change of city, or change of coach? Both guys are clearly talented, but are shoot first PGs. It's hard to see either guy leading his team out of the middle of the pack.

GGLC
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Man, I wish Cleveland had drafted Jonas Valanciunas when they had the chance.

FerryFor50
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Would Jennings and Teague benefit from a change of city, or change of coach? Both guys are clearly talented, but are shoot first PGs. It's hard to see either guy leading his team out of the middle of the pack.

The trick is, Teague isn't changing coaches. He's going to play for Larry Drew. Who he played for in Atlanta. :)

luvdahops
07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
PG Irving, Jack
SG Waiters, CJ Miles
SF Bennett, Gee
PF Thompson, Clark
C Bynum, Varajao, Zeller

I think Jack will play both the 1 and 2, and Bennett and Clark can play both the 3 and 4. Is that accurate?

That could be a crowded frontcourt IF everyone stays healthy. Big if.

Agree that Jack will play the 1 and 2 and should be the primary backcourt reserve, as he was with the Warriors this past year. I'm not sure if Bennett and Clark can both play the 3 and 4, or is that they are both tweeners whose games would appear to complement each other well and could be used effectively as a tandem at the forward spots.

toooskies
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Zeller's already gone from 1st round pick to the team's third center? I guess there are worse jobs in the NBA than being Andrew Bynum's backup.

If both Bynum and Varejao are healthy, Zeller will still get minutes-- I have a feeling the Cavs may not play Bynum at all in back-to-backs, and both Bynum and Varejao will probably be on minute caps. But, if both injury-prone Cs are healthy, Varejao probably gets traded in a deal for an SF unless the Cavs are a top 4 seed.

From last year, people have been saying his upside is a backup big man in the NBA, and as a Cavs fan I'm hoping he exceeds that, but he's got a lot of work to do on defense. For a wanna-be playoff team, it's good that he's a depth guy, and it's good for him that he gets to play against Bynum in practice.

Billy Dat
07-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Add Andre Kirilinko to the list of players Mason will battle for PT as he joins the Nets.

I love how the league is going berserk over the assumption that Prokhorov made an under-the-table deal with Kirilinko to get him to agree to the $3MM/per contract when he was looking for $8MM/per or more from other teams. The Russian Billionaire continues to do more then his part to make the league highly entertaining both on and off the court.

Adrian Woj's take:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

FerryFor50
07-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Add Andre Kirilinko to the list of players Mason will battle for PT as he joins the Nets.

I love how the league is going berserk over the assumption that Prokhorov made an under-the-table deal with Kirilinko to get him to agree to the $3MM/per contract when he was looking for $8MM/per or more from other teams. The Russian Billionaire continues to do more then his part to make the league highly entertaining both on and off the court.

Adrian Woj's take:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets--deal-with-andrei-kirilenko-raises-suspicions-from-nba-rivals-180604173.html

Well, no one knows because it was all done in Russian....

brevity
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Monta Ellis (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9473581/monta-ellis-deal-dallas-mavericks-sources) to sign with the Mavericks: 3 years, $25-30M. He made $11M last season and turned down an 3-year, $36M extension with the Bucks. So, this would be a pay cut.

Collusion?!?

CDu
07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Monta Ellis (http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/9473581/monta-ellis-deal-dallas-mavericks-sources) to sign with the Mavericks: 3 years, $25-30M. He made $11M last season and turned down an 3-year, $36M extension with the Bucks. So, this would be a pay cut.

Collusion?!?

In this case, I'd say it was just bad advice from his agent. There's nothing about Dallas' situation that suggests collusion. Unlike the Nets/Kirilenko situation, where there is the Russian connection (note: I'm not convinced that there was any shadiness in that deal either - Kirilenko has made over $100 million in his career).

A-Tex Devil
07-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Adrian Woj's take:

It's not entirely unfathomable. What's to stop Prokhorov from paying Kirilenko another $5MM per year into a Russian bank account from his own personal funds? That's purely my speculation, but seems reasonably easy to keep it out from under the NBA's nose.

BD80
07-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Danny signs Elton:

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/story/Hawks-ink-veteran-Brand-to-1-year-deal?blockID=920547&feedID=3703

Wonder if Danny is filtering some extra bennies to his buddy???? Just like Kirilinko, EB doesn't need em.

Article says that Ferry added Quin Snyder to the staff, didn't know that.

A-Tex Devil
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Danny signs Elton:

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/story/Hawks-ink-veteran-Brand-to-1-year-deal?blockID=920547&feedID=3703

Wonder if Danny is filtering some extra bennies to his buddy???? Just like Kirilinko, EB doesn't need em.

Seems like a good fit. If Elton is healthy, even at his age, that's a pretty strong second unit big man to spell Horford and Millsaps

dball
07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Danny signs Elton:

Note who's guarding Elton in the article pic.

Dahntay also signed with the Hawks.

CDu
07-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Seems like a good fit. If Elton is healthy, even at his age, that's a pretty strong second unit big man to spell Horford and Millsaps

Meh, I'd have rather seen Elton rejoin the Bulls. He'd fit in the same role on the Bulls but he'd have an actual chance to make a run at a title.

But, I guess he chose a few million dollars over a chance at a title next year. Oh well. Hopefully my Bulls can find a taker for their backup big man spot (so that we don't have to rely on Nazr Mohammed).

P.S. It's Millsap, not Millsaps.

JasonEvans
07-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Dahntay also signed with the Hawks.

Dahntay was with the Hawks from the middle until the end of last season but he is currently a free agent, I think, and is not the property of the Hawks. I am not sure if they will re-sign him or not.

I would love to see the Hawks become Duke-South, so long as we found a way to get Deng and Kyrie ;)

-Jason "I actually worry that Ferry is going to make the Hawks too good next season-- I want to be the in Wiggins/Parker/Randle sweepstakes" Evans

sagegrouse
07-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Here is a quote from the ESPN Bulls beat writer Nick Friedell:

The reality is that Deng is likely going to want something close to what he is scheduled to make this season -- which is over $14 million.
Unless Deng is willing to take a significant hometown discount, and there's been no indication about that to this point, I don't think there's any question as to what the Bulls should do -- either trade him or let him go next summer.

Uhhh.... hometown? Well, I guess Luol has been in Chicago nine years. Maybe the "hometown discount" would better apply to London.

sagegrouse

CDu
07-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Here is a quote from the ESPN Bulls beat writer Nick Friedell:

Uhhh.... hometown? Well, I guess Luol has been in Chicago nine years. Maybe the "hometown discount" would better apply to London.

sagegrouse

He may well have lived in Chicago longer than he's lived in any other city at this point. He grew up in Sudan, then Egypt, then London, then Connecticut, then Duke, then Chicago.

As for the Bulls, I've long expected that he'll end up having to walk in free agency. The Bulls' signing of Dunleavy and drafting Snell all suggest that they're prepping for the possibility of losing Deng next summer.

sagegrouse
07-17-2013, 11:13 AM
He may well have lived in Chicago longer than he's lived in any other city at this point. He grew up in Sudan, then Egypt, then London, then Connecticut, then Duke, then Chicago.

As for the Bulls, I've long expected that he'll end up having to walk in free agency. The Bulls' signing of Dunleavy and drafting Snell all suggest that they're prepping for the possibility of losing Deng next summer.

The article suggests that, in fact, Chicago will try to keep it together this year with Rose, Noah, Deng, Carlos, and the new additions, but that Boozer is likely to be amnestied in 2014 and that Deng will be allowed to leave unless he takes a hefty pay cut. My opinion, watching the decision dynamic among the Deng clan, is that Luol will only take a pay cut if that is the market for his services in the NBA.

And this coming year will be his tenth in the league. Really???? Ten years in the NBA for Luol Deng??? Of course, it will be Dunleavy's and Boozer's 12th. And Elton's 15th. And I am entering my eighth decade. Man, can we slow things down a bit?

sagegrouse

CDu
07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
The article suggests that, in fact, Chicago will try to keep it together this year with Rose, Noah, Deng, Carlos, and the new additions, but that Boozer is likely to be amnestied in 2014 and that Deng will be allowed to leave unless he takes a hefty pay cut. My opinion, watching the decision dynamic among the Deng clan, is that Luol will only take a pay cut if that is the market for his services in the NBA.

And this coming year will be his tenth in the league. Really???? Ten years in the NBA for Luol Deng??? Of course, it will be Dunleavy's and Boozer's 12th. And Elton's 15th. And I am entering my eighth decade. Man, can we slow things down a bit?

sagegrouse

Yeah, I tend to agree with the article. They're going to make a run at a title this year and then re-evaluate next summer. Boozer may very well get amnestied and they'll see about the market for Deng. They'll also be looking to add Mirotic from the Spanish league in either 2014 or 2015. But they'll likely be very interested in staying below the tax line, and that means they'll be pinching pennies a bit.

A lot of Deng's future with the Bulls will come down to how well Butler and Snell develop. Butler had a fantastic second half and played great in the postseason. Snell is just a rookie, but shows some promise. If Butler and Snell continue to improve, the Bulls may decide that Deng is expendable.

roywhite
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Gerald Henderson finalizing deal with Bobcats (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--gerald-henderson-re-signing-with-bobcats-195946757.html)

Restricted free-agent guard Gerald Henderson is finalizing an agreement on a three-year, $18 million contract extension with the Charlotte Bobcats, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Gerald Henderson averaged 15.5 points last season. Henderson will hold a player option in the third year, sources said.

The re-signing of Henderson – one of the most consistent and talented players for the fledgling franchise – was the top priority for the franchise to secure for new coach Steve Clifford.

FerryFor50
08-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Never saw it mentioned, but the Bucks and Pistons swapped Brandons.

Brandon Jennings got traded for Brandon Knight and prospects:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22943793/reports-bucks-and-pistons-working-sign-and-trade-for-brandon-jennings

Not sure how many shots will be available with Jennings and Josh Smith on the same squad.

Also, Greg Oden to sign with the Heat:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9533451/former-no-1-pick-gren-oden-sign-miami-heat

Good pickup for the Heat, as Oden provides size, defense and rebounding at a low price. Doesn't need the ball and has something to prove.

CDu
08-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Also, Greg Oden to sign with the Heat:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9533451/former-no-1-pick-gren-oden-sign-miami-heat

Good pickup for the Heat, as Oden provides size, defense and rebounding at a low price. Doesn't need the ball and has something to prove.

I'd say it's potentially a good pickup for the Heat. Oden hasn't played basketball in nearly 4 years, and he's had 3 microfracture surgeries. I have trouble believing he'll be able to contribute much.

Still, it's a very low-risk dumpster-dive signing for the Heat. At the minimum, if he can't contribute, he sits the bench. If he can contribute, it's a bonus on an already very good team.

Mabdul Doobakus
08-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm an Oden skeptic at this point. I believe there's something fundamentally "wrong" with his body that is causing him to develop all these significant injuries through what is seemingly just the regular wear and tear of the normal NBA life. But I really, really want to see this work out, both for him and the Heat. My doubt doesn't really pertain to his abilities, just his ability to stay healthy. His per minute production has always been very strong, and even if this isn't going to be Greg Oden at 100%, it wouldn't really surprise me all that much if he could play at or near an All-Star level in limited spurts. If I'm the Heat, I don't let him go over 15 minutes in any game until deep into a playoff run, and I don't let him play in back to backs.

FerryFor50
08-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm an Oden skeptic at this point. I believe there's something fundamentally "wrong" with his body that is causing him to develop all these significant injuries through what is seemingly just the regular wear and tear of the normal NBA life. But I really, really want to see this work out, both for him and the Heat. My doubt doesn't really pertain to his abilities, just his ability to stay healthy. His per minute production has always been very strong, and even if this isn't going to be Greg Oden at 100%, it wouldn't really surprise me all that much if he could play at or near an All-Star level in limited spurts. If I'm the Heat, I don't let him go over 15 minutes in any game until deep into a playoff run, and I don't let him play in back to backs.

The Mike Miller approach...

BD80
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Never saw it mentioned, but the Bucks and Pistons swapped Brandons.

Brandon Jennings got traded for Brandon Knight and prospects:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22943793/reports-bucks-and-pistons-working-sign-and-trade-for-brandon-jennings

Not sure how many shots will be available with Jennings and Josh Smith on the same squad. ...

I think Joe D is trying to monopolize the league's lefties. Jennings and Smith are lefties, and I believe Monroe is as well (he may be amphibious).

The move doesn't make a lot of sense, except that Joe is looking for a PG to take the team to a championship level, not just the playoffs. He decided that Knight wasn't it. He brought back Billups to train the next PG, whoever that might be. He hasn't totally given up on Rodney Stuckey, who was once considered the next Chauncey Billups (and a reason the Pistons traded Chauncey - to open a path for Stuckey). Stuckey at least has value as an expiring contract, and guys playing for their next contract tend to do what they're told will get them on the court (although some just try to maximize points). Oh yeah, there are 2 other PGs on the roster.

This article suggests that Jennings isn't the endgame, but a valuable chip in acquiring a championship level PG: Rajon Rondo:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/23012418/report-pistons-still-interested-in-rajon-rondo-despite-signing-brandon-jennings

Billy Dat
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm an Oden skeptic at this point....

Unless you've been in suspended animation since the 2007 National Championship game, or you are Mike Conley Sr., or you are Mama Dukes Oden, I think being an Oden skeptic is the default setting at this point.

I, too, hope he plays well.

Newton_14
08-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I think Joe D is trying to monopolize the league's lefties. Jennings and Smith are lefties, and I believe Monroe is as well (he may be amphibious).

The move doesn't make a lot of sense, except that Joe is looking for a PG to take the team to a championship level, not just the playoffs. He decided that Knight wasn't it. He brought back Billups to train the next PG, whoever that might be. He hasn't totally given up on Rodney Stuckey, who was once considered the next Chauncey Billups (and a reason the Pistons traded Chauncey - to open a path for Stuckey). Stuckey at least has value as an expiring contract, and guys playing for their next contract tend to do what they're told will get them on the court (although some just try to maximize points). Oh yeah, there are 2 other PGs on the roster.

This article suggests that Jennings isn't the endgame, but a valuable chip in acquiring a championship level PG: Rajon Rondo:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/23012418/report-pistons-still-interested-in-rajon-rondo-despite-signing-brandon-jennings

So the Pistons became one of "my teams" once they signed the Warrior that is Singler so I have sort of a rooting interest here. I think it is a dangerous move. The Pistons had a good young nucleus that played well together and enjoyed playing together. Bringing in Smith already changed that dynamic to a certain degree, and now bringing in Brandon disrupts it even more. I fear Smith and Jennings will see themselves as stars that the young "less- talented" (in their eyes) need to defer to. That could be bad for both team chemistry and results.

Brandon Jennings is a more talented player than Brandon Knight, (though neither are great shooters), but is he a better fit for Detroit? Maybe. Maybe not.

I just hope Kyle gets his minutes and the team has success.

Billy Dat
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
So the Pistons became one of "my teams" once they signed the Warrior that is Singler so I have sort of a rooting interest here. I think it is a dangerous move. The Pistons had a good young nucleus that played well together and enjoyed playing together. Bringing in Smith already changed that dynamic to a certain degree, and now bringing in Brandon disrupts it even more. I fear Smith and Jennings will see themselves as stars that the young "less- talented" (in their eyes) need to defer to. That could be bad for both team chemistry and results.

Brandon Jennings is a more talented player than Brandon Knight, (though neither are great shooters), but is he a better fit for Detroit? Maybe. Maybe not.

I just hope Kyle gets his minutes and the team has success.

My basketball writer man crush, Zach Lowe, wrote an analysis of the Jennings signing:

"Brandon for Brandon: What Does the Jennings-Knight Deal Really Mean for Detroit and Milwaukee?"
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/70126/brandon-for-brandon-what-does-the-jennings-knight-deal-really-mean-for-detroit-and-milwaukee

He says that Brandon Knight, despite being a dilligent worker and student of the game, was not getting better at running an NBA offense. He makes the case the Jennings is much better at it, and that Jennings has been a willing passer. What he needs to avoid are bad shots, same with Smith, which I guess is like saying an alcoholic needs to avoid whiskey.

superdave
08-08-2013, 04:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/47587/source-unlikely-knicks-sign-duhon

Tappan Zee Devil
08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/47587/source-unlikely-knicks-sign-duhon

Yeah, the Knicks signed Beno Udrih instead.

JasonEvans
08-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm an Oden skeptic at this point. I believe there's something fundamentally "wrong" with his body that is causing him to develop all these significant injuries through what is seemingly just the regular wear and tear of the normal NBA life. But I really, really want to see this work out, both for him and the Heat.

Short article (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/229348/Greg-Oden-Ready-To-Be-In-Full-Basketball-Mode-Immediately) on Oden saying he is ready to resume basketball workouts right away. Oden said...

I got an old body. My body is not going to be what it was when I was 18. When I was 18, I was able to run all day and jump over people. I can’t do that now. It’s just not going to happen.

Oden added some further reflections from when he was 18 -- such as when the family down the street became the first folks in the neighborhood to own a color TV and how excited Oden was when he got the news that World War II was ending.

-Jason "if Oden is even a fraction of what he can be, he could be a major pickup for the Heat" Evans

NSDukeFan
08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Short article (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/229348/Greg-Oden-Ready-To-Be-In-Full-Basketball-Mode-Immediately) on Oden saying he is ready to resume basketball workouts right away. Oden said...

Oden added some further reflections from when he was 18 -- such as when the family down the street became the first folks in the neighborhood to own a color TV and how excited Oden was when he got the news that World War II was ending.

-Jason "if Oden is even a fraction of what he can be, he could be a major pickup for the Heat" Evans

I wonder if Oden played with Uncle Drew when he was younger.

Indoor66
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
I wonder if Oden played with Uncle Drew when he was younger.

He played with Uncle Drew when Oden was in High School and Uncle Drew was in Grade School. Drew was that good.

BD80
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
He played with Uncle Drew when Oden was in High School and Uncle Drew was in Grade School. Drew was that good.

Back then, all grades and all classes were in a single room, so all the children could be near the wood stove for warmth ...

but, so much easier than when I was in school, cave, open fire, wall paintings ...

superdave
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Greg Oden got in to the Heat's game yesterday and played four minutes. Here's hoping he can last for several seasons and be a contributor.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/9870012/greg-oden-debuts-miami-heat