PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Practice to Start in September??

sagegrouse
06-30-2013, 09:40 AM
No doubt this has been commented on before.

According to the following May 13 NCAA press release, practice can begin six weeks before the first game, but practice can only occur on 30 of those days. Lessee... (taking off my socks so I can use my toes to count). The earliest date for basketball is the second Friday in November, which is November 8 this year, the earliest possible date. Backing up six weeks means that practices can begin September 27. Which means we are less than three months away from basketball practice. Does that mean that the Blue-White game and various exhibitions will also occur two weeks earlier?

Don't worry, Mods. Mark Emmert personally gave me permission to use the entire release in my post.

Sagegrouse

Men’s basketball teams will be allowed to begin their first practice – celebrated at many schools with Midnight Madness events – up to two weeks earlier than in the past, starting this fall. The proposal was finalized at the close of the Division I Board of Directors meeting Thursday.

Last month, the Legislative Council amended and approved the long-tabled measure that will allow men’s basketball teams to conduct 30 days of practice in the six weeks before their first regular-season game. In the past, practice began roughly four weeks before the regular season.

A separate proposal that eliminated the requirement that the first practice begin no earlier than 5 p.m. on the first allowable day was also adopted.

The rule creates a flexible preseason practice schedule that allows practice days and off days instead of the current schedule that leads to practice occurring every possible day. The more flexible approach provides coaches with the ability to determine how to use practice opportunities.

The original proposal allowed practice to start 40 days before the first game, but the Council members adjusted the rule to accommodate for Midnight Madness events often planned around the first men’s basketball practice. Because a significant number of teams start playing games on the first day the rules allow it (the second Friday in November), the first day for practice would fall on a Sunday, which is not conducive to Midnight Madness events. Expanding the time period to 42 days allows the first practice to be held on a Friday.

Bluedog
06-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Kansas held its first practice a couple weeks ago, where Wiggins apparently impressed. Not sure the exact rules but I thought the NCAA also lessened their stance of no coach player interaction during the summer.

BigWayne
06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Kansas held its first practice a couple weeks ago, where Wiggins apparently impressed. Not sure the exact rules but I thought the NCAA also lessened their stance of no coach player interaction during the summer.

Summer practice rules started last summer. Only two hours a week though, so it doesn't compare to fall activity, when they are going five or six days a week. http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-07-07/ncaa-provision-for-summer-practice-hours-gives-programs-a-boost

What the OP is talking about is the change to regular fall practices. For this year, it can mean almost 3 weeks earlier practice than the old rules would have allowed.
http://latenighthoops.com/ncaa-practices-leg-2013/

msdukie
06-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Practice can begin on September 27, but if you follow Duke Blue Planet's occasional countdowns, you will note that CTC IV/Blue-White, exhibitions etc. will still be on the regular schedule.

No doubt this has been commented on before.

According to the following May 13 NCAA press release, practice can begin six weeks before the first game, but practice can only occur on 30 of those days. Lessee... (taking off my socks so I can use my toes to count). The earliest date for basketball is the second Friday in November, which is November 8 this year, the earliest possible date. Backing up six weeks means that practices can begin September 27. Which means we are less than three months away from basketball practice. Does that mean that the Blue-White game and various exhibitions will also occur two weeks earlier?

Don't worry, Mods. Mark Emmert personally gave me permission to use the entire release in my post.

Sagegrouse

Jarhead
06-30-2013, 03:50 PM
My understanding is that Kansas did not hold a early practice. Some of the players were helping out at a basketball camp at KU, and they did a little shoot-around for the campers. My nimble mind tells me I read it here, but I am late for nap time. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif

Bluedog
06-30-2013, 04:27 PM
My understanding is that Kansas did not hold a early practice. Some of the players were helping out at a basketball camp at KU, and they did a little shoot-around for the campers. My nimble mind tells me I read it here, but I am late for nap time. http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_asleep.gif

Not sure...Gary Parrish called it a practice, but obviously the term can be used pretty loosely:

"Andrew Wiggins arrived at Kansas on Saturday and participated in his first practice Monday. I asked somebody close to the KU program how that practice went."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22464344/andrew-wiggins-wows-kansas-staff-in-first-workout

Newton_14
06-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Not sure...Gary Parrish called it a practice, but obviously the term can be used pretty loosely:

"Andrew Wiggins arrived at Kansas on Saturday and participated in his first practice Monday. I asked somebody close to the KU program how that practice went."
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22464344/andrew-wiggins-wows-kansas-staff-in-first-workout

The two hour deal during the summer is not a normal team practice. Individual work only. The coaches can workout an individual player during the allotted time. They cannot hold full team practices.