PDA

View Full Version : My story about Coach K

Hancock 4 Duke
06-29-2013, 07:01 PM
So I was at Coach K's Duke Basketball Camp this past week, when unfortunately I broke my growth plate in my knee in a camp game and had to be hauled in an ambulance to the Duke Hospital. One of the managers, who is close with my dad, called to check in to see if I was okay, what the diagnosis was, etc. and then he said "I have someone that wants to talk to you" and I said "alright."
"Hey Chris, it's Coach K"
I was star struck. I had no idea what to say so I stuttered a "H-hey!"
He told me how he heard that I acted real tough when I got hurt (I was on the ground for 45 minutes having trainers look at me. I figured there's no reason to cry about what I can't control, so I sat and made funny faces at my teammates and cracked jokes with the staff) and that I would have fit in well with him in the Army. He made a couple of jokes on the phone, being friendly, while I was just saying "Yes sir...Yes sir" in pure awe. He seemed to know about how I've had problems with my knees in the past, and he asked if it was because I was growing. I just said "Yes sir" once again, and he told me, "Well, maybe if you keep growing to be 6'11, we'll have some more conversations on the phone". I was so excited that I was having an actual conversation with THE Coach K. He also told me he'd like for me to have the chance to come sit behind the Duke bench for a game at Cameron, then told me he'd be glad to meet me the next day at Cameron when the camp was over. After I watched my team play their last game (we went undefeated!) I hopped on a golf cart over to Cameron, went into the Schwartz-Butters building, and Coach K was standing there in the hallway. We shook hands, talked for a little bit, and he talked about how he was glad I didn't have to have surgery on my knee. Then Jon Scheyer and Ryan Kelly walked in, as Jon was working as a coach at the camp, and Ryan just visiting I assume, saying they wanted to meet the "toughest kid at camp". That made my day, and I told Ryan that when I came back from the injury, I would drop 36 in my first game to honor him. They all laughed and then Coach K said he would love for me to come sit courtside behind the Duke bench at one of the games next season and I happily agreed. We all took a picture together, and I headed back home with a cast up to my thigh.
So I guess it was a good trade-off for a broken leg!

pics!
Me on the phone with Coach K: http://i.imgur.com/8wpv7S6.jpg
The team that went 7-0 throughout camp: http://i.imgur.com/AtnLfEO.jpg
The break: http://i.imgur.com/3ykWGaE.jpg
With Scheyer, Kelly, Coach K, and the manager: http://i.imgur.com/HUxsyru.jpg

roywhite
06-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Great story and good luck with your recovery.

We know it, but it's always great to see what good people comprise the Duke basketball program, from Coach K through the whole staff and team.

sagegrouse
06-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Great story -- and, unlike many of our posts ;), there is clear evidence that it's true. Good luck with the knee. You're getting up there but have a ways to go.

sagegrouse

Henderson
06-29-2013, 08:37 PM
How much did it cost you?

summerwind03
06-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Love it. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Good luck with your recovery.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Great story! Best of luck with recovery.

MCFinARL
06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Great story -- and, unlike many of our posts ;), there is clear evidence that it's true. Good luck with the knee. You're getting up there but have a ways to go.

sagegrouse

! I resemble that remark.

Hancock 4 Duke, nice story. Thanks for sharing, and speedy recovery.

CameronBornAndBred
06-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Saw your pic on facebook with K and company, you do an awesome RK impression on those crutches!

Kedsy
06-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I always like stories like these. I'm glad yours had a happy ending.

AtlBluRew
06-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Coach K is a class act. Seems like you are, as well. Good luck with your recovery!

Tom B.
06-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing it (and the pictures!), and good luck with the recovery and rehab on your knee.

Son of Jarhead
06-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing it, and the photos.

When I was a kid, just 9, I broke my leg playing football. (Really, it is more accurate to describe it as a shattered, splintered, green-stick compound fracture of the femur just below the hip joint... Ouch! It hurts again just describing it!) My mom worked at Duke and was well known to the students (she did the housing assignments) and Dr. Frank Bassett, Duke's team surgeon, was my doctor, and together, they got several of the football players (incl. QB Hal Spears & WR Troy Slade) to stop by to visit me at Duke Hospital where I was in traction for a couple weeks (prior to a few months in a body cast! Thankfully, medicine has improved greatly since then!). I was a huge fan and they were impressed that I knew them by their jersey numbers. I told them how the injury had happened, how I had caused a fumble, recovered it, and got dog-piled, and they were duly impressed that I had held on to the ball. Their stopping by really lifted my spirits and made the whole ordeal a little easier to bear. Having someone you look up to and admire show interest in you and your well-being is a great thing. I don't have any photos of their visits, but it remains a cherished memory, as I am sure your story above will be for you. Here's to a full and speedy recovery for you!!

DukieInKansas
06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. May you have a complete and speedy recovery.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Great story and a speedy recovery to my "nephew" xxx4Duke! :cool: Don't let your dad, the Wootman, give you grief during your lengthy recover period! And yeah, sitting behind the Duke bench for a game is pretty cool! Do you get to pick the game (carolina <cough, cough>)? :cool::cool:

CameronBornAndBred
07-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Do you get to pick the game (carolina <cough, cough>)? :cool::cool:
That would cost an arm and a leg, he only coughed up a leg. :rolleyes:

DevilWearsPrada
07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Great story and a speedy recovery to my "nephew" xxx4Duke! :cool: Don't let your dad, the Wootman, give you grief during your lengthy recover period! And yeah, sitting behind the Duke bench for a game is pretty cool! Do you get to pick the game (carolina <cough, cough>)? :cool::cool:

Carolina would be An awesome game to sit behind the bench! Enjoyed the story and the great pictures!!!! Speedy recovery!!!!

cspan37421
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Sorry about your bad break, but it was good to hear the story of how the DBB community showed how much they care! A couple years ago my son was at Coach K's BB camp and experienced an asthma attack - a rare event for him anyway, and the first time it ever happened indoors. I forget the chain of notification, but I can say that Coach K's daughter Debbie Savarino showed concern and offered assistance throughout, putting down other things to help us manage it - and following up. In an earlier year, he turned his ankle and the MBB trainer did a great job attending to that (I forget his name but checking out the website, I think it was Jose Fonseca).

Anyway, all staff, from Coach K on down, made a point of informing everyone attending and all the parents/guardians that they are considered part of the Duke Basketball family. And at times like this, they demonstrate that it's not just words. They really care, even if you're not yet 6'11" !

matt1
07-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Great story, and I will repeat the notion that it is great to hear how much the Duke basketball community cares. Best of luck with your leg.

Kimist
07-02-2013, 01:18 AM
This story absolutely made my day...including the pictures.

Here's hoping you have a speedy and full recovery, to include standing for a very long time when you get to visit CIS again during basketball season.

k

jv001
07-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Thank you for this great story on your experience(both bad & good). It's always nice to hear how Coach K goes out of his way to help people. With all the negative stuff I hear from my tarheel friends, it's great to hear true things about our HOF coach and not the made up mess that our rivals spread about him. God bless and get well soon.
GoDuke!