PDA

View Full Version : Shane's broadcasting debut.

moonpie23
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
he's a little tight........doesn't have a lot of opportunity to "gab".......but his smile and confidence shines through....

i'll be excited to see him at a desk....

mattman91
06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
he's a little tight........doesn't have a lot of opportunity to "gab".......but his smile and confidence shines through....

Such a class act. So professional. He is doing outstanding!

sagegrouse
06-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Interviews are really hard in prime time TV. He's doing a wonderful job. And it's amazing that this is his first network gig. Go Duke!!!

sagegrouse

NovaScotian
06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
i have to say that he has nice little canned offerings to the draftees, though his questions are getting very repetitive (not that there's room for a lot of creativity in these interviews).

simmons on the other hand, insists on talking about anything but the pick that was just made.

dukelifer
06-27-2013, 09:43 PM
i have to say that he has nice little canned offerings to the draftees, though his questions are getting very repetitive (not that there's room for a lot of creativity in these interviews).

simmons on the other hand, insists on talking about anything but the pick that was just made.
Shane has either grown or these players are much smaller than listed. The last guy from Russia was not 6' 8"

Henderson
06-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Shane has either grown or these players are much smaller than listed. The last guy from Russia was not 6' 8"

They have smaller cinder blocks in Russia.

theAlaskanBear
06-28-2013, 05:01 AM
They have smaller cinder blocks in Russia.

Speaking of Karasev, I was laughing at his unintelligible answer in English, and then died when Shane deadpanned to the camera, clearly having no idea what was said, "Well, that's great!"

cspan37421
06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Actually, I thought Shane did a good job not being repetitive in his questions - though I only watched through Mason.

Mike Corey
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM

http://clinton4.nara.gov/media/jpg/ovaloff.jpg

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
http://clinton4.nara.gov/media/jpg/ovaloff.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking.

NovaScotian
06-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Actually, I thought Shane did a good job not being repetitive in his questions - though I only watched through Mason.

what i meant to say was that his interviews generally included this question:
"coach X was your coach at college Y. what has he meant to your career?"
or maybe
"your family is here today/your supporters are watching you back in hometown. what have they meant to you?"

this is not to criticize shane, who i thought did well, but this is an unenviable task of having so many meaningless conversations with shocked young men who are generally inarticulate to begin with.

Lennies
06-28-2013, 11:06 AM
After Grant Hill?

burnspbesq
06-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Grant needs to run for Maricopa County Sheriff first. Imagine a televised debate between Grant and Joe Arpaio ...:p

cspan37421
06-28-2013, 12:15 PM
what i meant to say was that his interviews generally included this question:
"coach X was your coach at college Y. what has he meant to your career?"
or maybe
"your family is here today/your supporters are watching you back in hometown. what have they meant to you?"

this is not to criticize shane, who i thought did well, but this is an unenviable task of having so many meaningless conversations with shocked young men who are generally inarticulate to begin with.

Definitely unenviable! Was it that Russian player who didn't even answer those questions, and blurted out a bunch of incomplete and disjointed cliches?

I thought he did a good job getting their names and teams right, mentioning something personal about them and their playing history (their coaches, their hometowns, etc) and so forth. There's only so much you can get to in the time and format, particularly given the state of the interviewees; it's not like he can play Brian Lamb here. And I do give him props for not asking questions that could be answered with a yes or no. Just by avoiding that, he's already an above-average interviewer in my book.

MCFinARL
06-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Yeah, it wasn't just that guy. Shane looked much taller than he should have next to many of these guys. High heeled boots? Moon shoes?

brevity
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it wasn't just that guy. Shane looked much taller than he should have next to many of these guys. High heeled boots? Moon shoes?

Two NBA titles?

DukeWarhead
06-28-2013, 09:20 PM

Broadcasting would be a waste for him. Not to badmouth the gig (I guess I just did), but Shane needs to be a coach when he hangs it up. He'd be superb. If I had a kid that could ball (I do not, not yet. He's only two and just sits on the ball) I can't think of a single coach or player that I would rather teach him about competition and winning (other than K of course.) College or NBA, Shane would win championships as a coach. That's what he does.

Acymetric
06-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Broadcasting would be a waste for him. Not to badmouth the gig (I guess I just did), but Shane needs to be a coach when he hangs it up. He'd be superb. If I had a kid that could ball (I do not, not yet. He's only two and just sits on the ball) I can't think of a single coach or player that I would rather teach him about competition and winning (other than K of course.) College or NBA, Shane would win championships as a coach. That's what he does.

Shane has said publicly that he doesn't want to coach. Certainly that is a position that could change and evolve, but I don't think he's going to go for it when he retires.

Jderf
07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Shane has said publicly that he doesn't want to coach. Certainly that is a position that could change and evolve, but I don't think he's going to go for it when he retires.

People that understand the game at the level Shane does don't always find it easy to communicate that understanding to others (See: Gretzky, Wayne), so they don't necessarily make the best coaches. That's not to say they're always terrible, just that there's no guarantee they will knock it out of the park. I wonder if that played into Shane's reasoning. In a related note, I'm very curious to see how Jason Kidd does as a coach.