PDA

View Full Version : UNC Takes Another 'Hit"

devildeac
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Must be in the curriculum down the road:

http://arrestinquiryweb.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/ArrestAndCharges.aspx?FirstName=EDUARDO&MiddleName=ENRIQUE&LastName=COTA&PID=422556&ArrestNumber=1579043&PreviousSearch=&BrowseLastName=cota&BrowseFirstName=&BrowsePID=&BrowseArrest=&BrowseArrestDate=&BrowseLastDayArrests=False

SilkyJ
06-20-2013, 03:24 PM

http://arrestinquiryweb.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/ArrestAndCharges.aspx?FirstName=EDUARDO&MiddleName=ENRIQUE&LastName=COTA&PID=422556&ArrestNumber=1579043&PreviousSearch=&BrowseLastName=cota&BrowseFirstName=&BrowsePID=&BrowseArrest=&BrowseArrestDate=&BrowseLastDayArrests=False

Ha. Well played.

Still, in this day and age, its pretty meaningless. Pot is essentially legal in the states I've lived in for the last 6 years.

MChambers
06-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Always heard that Ed dropped a lot of dimes.

mattman91
06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Funny, but as many other posters have pointed out in this thread as well as the pj thread, cannabis is harmless. I understand it is against the law, but it is less harmless then even caffeine. It is 2013 and we are still demonizing a plant that is potentially the most beneficial crop on earth.

dpslaw
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Funny, but as many other posters have pointed out in this thread as well as the pj thread, cannabis is harmless. I understand it is against the law, but it is less harmless then even caffeine. It is 2013 and we are still demonizing a plant that is potentially the most beneficial crop on earth.

Hyperbole much?

BD80
06-20-2013, 04:42 PM

Dude, if you don't want it "demonized," stop calling it "killer weed."

It actually was named the most beneficial crop on earth, by a compendium including Hostess, Frito Lay, Denny's, Pepsi and Coca Cola (representing the myriad of fast-food chains like KFC and Taco Bell), and Krispy Kremes.

SupaDave
06-20-2013, 05:28 PM

It actually was named the most beneficial crop on earth, by a compendium including Hostess, Frito Lay, Denny's, Pepsi and Coca Cola (representing the myriad of fast-food chains like KFC and Taco Bell), and Krispy Kremes.

lmao!!! Dat Frankenstein!!!

SoCalDukeFan
06-20-2013, 05:35 PM

I have a friend whose son, now is in late 20's or early 30's, is really messed up. Evidently he started smoking pot when he was 12 and his mother thinks the pot affected his brain development. I have a friend who works in the field and she believes that pot does affect the brain development of young teens.

I don't really know and don't want to turn this into a discussion of pot. But I think its a stretch to call pot harmless.

SoCal

Jarhead
06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Funny, but as many other posters have pointed out in this thread as well as the pj thread, cannabis is harmless. I understand it is against the law, but it is less harmless then even caffeine. It is 2013 and we are still demonizing a plant that is potentially the most beneficial crop on earth.Driving down a lonely, dark road, at night, I would sometimes wonder if the driver of the car coming toward me is high, and on what. Who can correctly assure me that a marijuana high isn't a threat?

mattman91
06-20-2013, 06:29 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=2735017&page=1#.UcN7FPk3uc0

It beat out corn and even wheat. You have to remember what the plant actually is. It can also be hemp. Not only is it the best source of ethanol, it can be used for medicine, food, and fiber (hell, the Adidas I am wearing right now are made out of the stuff). People have used this for centuries, and it seems like many forget this. I have a lot of respect for most of you guys on this board and I know none of you really need a history lesson, so I will stop there instead of going into why it is really illegall (see Randolph Hearst, William).

As far as 12 year old's smoking herb, they shouldn't be smoking anything. I agree that if you smoke at that young of an age it does have the potential to cause problems in development because at that age your brain is still developing.

Trying to get back on topic, PJ and Ed are now having to suffer consequences of an absurd, unjust, ignorant, and outdated law. Over 7 billion dollars is spent on the war on cannabis annually. African Americans are arrested nearly 5 times as much as whites (see Redick, JJ) despite the usage being at the same rate between the two races. These two young men just became another statistic.

I really don't mean to sound preachy, or to go on a rant, but I decided to leave the P.J. thread alone with my views on this subject so I wouldn't offend anyone. I just feel like if we are going to rag on our rivals down the road, we should do so by making fun of their performance on the court, in the class room, or if they get into serious legal trouble.

mattman91
06-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Driving down a lonely, dark road, at night, I would sometimes wonder if the driver of the car coming toward me is high, and on what. Who can correctly assure me that a marijuana high isn't a threat?

People shouldn't be under the influence of any substance while driving. Then again, I have consumed a LOT of THC in my time, and I can tell you it doesn't impair vision and coordination while driving. If anything, it will make you very cautious. The real threats on the highway are alcohol, cell phone users, and teenage girls.

CameronBlue
06-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Dude, Dominos. Come on.

Pink Floyd and Dominos--the greatest marketing collaborative never to happen.

CameronBlue
06-20-2013, 06:42 PM

I really don't mean to sound preachy, or to go on a rant, but I decided to leave the P.J. thread alone with my views on this subject so I wouldn't offend anyone. I just feel like if we are going to rag on our rivals down the road, we should do so by making fun of their performance on the court, in the class room, or if they get into serious legal trouble.

This is wise, lest we are reminded of the kid from Kinston (I won't mention his name since I can't recall how the case turned out.)

-jk
06-20-2013, 07:05 PM

It beat out corn and even wheat. You have to remember what the plant actually is. It can also be hemp. Not only is it the best source of ethanol, it can be used for medicine, food, and fiber (hell, the Adidas I am wearing right now are made out of the stuff). People have used this for centuries, and it seems like many forget this. I have a lot of respect for most of you guys on this board and I know none of you really need a history lesson, so I will stop there instead of going into why it is really illegall (see Randolph Hearst, William.

Um... If there weren't a "war on drugs" that pushes the street value of the crop through the roof, it wouldn't be so insanely valuable. Hemp could be a useful crop, but "marijuana" isn't "hemp". They're related (but then so were Mother Teresa and Attila the Hun; I know which one I'd visit if I had the munchies), but not even close to the same psychotropic effects. You're conflating your arguments.

On the other hand, let's not take this discussion into drug policy.

thanks,

-jk

DukeBlueHeart4
06-20-2013, 07:06 PM
People shouldn't be under the influence of any substance while driving. Then again, I have consumed a LOT of THC in my time, and I can tell you it doesn't impair vision and coordination while driving. If anything, it will make you very cautious. The real threats on the highway are alcohol, cell phone users, and teenage girls.

It may not impair coordination, but it does impair judgement and reaction time, both of which carry serious implications when behind the wheel of a car. And I am speaking as someone who got into a car with her high brother without knowing he was high.

As for the teenage girl comment, the CDC would disagree with you there as teenage males are nearly twice as likely to be involved in motor vehicle fatalities according to their research (http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html). On a personal note, as a high school teacher I have lost many more male students in car accidents than female students. The female students I have lost were not the driver in all instances except for one.

I agree that there are legitimate uses for hemp. Some of our Founding Fathers were known to have grown hemp. I am not arguing that it should or should not be legalized...I only argue that it does affect skills that are key when operating a car.

That being said, the issue of athletes using illegal drugs is a problem when we live a culture that glorifies them and holds them up as role models for young kids. But that is another issue in and of itself.

mattman91
06-20-2013, 07:12 PM
It may not impair coordination, but it does impair judgement and reaction time, both of which carry serious implications when behind the wheel of a car. And I am speaking as someone who got into a car with her high brother without knowing he was high.

As for the teenage girl comment, the CDC would disagree with you there as teenage males are nearly twice as likely to be involved in motor vehicle fatalities according to their research (http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html). On a personal note, as a high school teacher I have lost many more male students in car accidents than female students. The female students I have lost were not the driver in all instances except for one.

I agree that there are legitimate uses for hemp. Some of our Founding Fathers were known to have grown hemp. I am not arguing that it should or should not be legalized...I only argue that it does affect skills that are key when operating a car.

That being said, the issue of athletes using illegal drugs is a problem when we live a culture that glorifies them and holds them up as role models for young kids. But that is another issue in and of itself.

The teenage girl comment was a joke. I definitely agree teenage boys are much more wreckless behind the wheel!

mattman91
06-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Um... If there weren't a "war on drugs" that pushes the street value of the crop through the roof, it wouldn't be so insanely valuable. Hemp could be a useful crop, but "marijuana" isn't "hemp". They're related (but then so were Mother Teresa and Attila the Hun; I know which one I'd visit if I had the munchies), but not even close to the same psychotropic effects. You're conflating your arguments.

On the other hand, let's not take this discussion into drug policy.

thanks,

-jk

Just to clear up the haziness in my comment, the medicinal values are in the cannabis plant, which does make it useful. I know the difference in cannabis and industrial hemp, however the federal government does not so I didn't separate them :p

Again, I do not mean to turn this into a drug policy discussion, I Just wanted to clear up the confusion.

mattman91
06-20-2013, 07:22 PM

You are so right. What happened to parents, teachers, and responsible older siblings being role models?

53n206
06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I am a long time Duke man ('57), don't like UNC teams, but incredible NBC news item about a child at UNC med center. Congenitally deaf, surgical implants, and on recorded news, first heard his parents' voice. Give to the docs there. The rivalry is of so little import compared to this.

moonpie23
06-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Driving down a lonely, dark road, at night, I would sometimes wonder if the driver of the car coming toward me is high, and on what. Who can correctly assure me that a marijuana high isn't a threat?

but this goes without saying for ANY mind altering substance....pot, alcohol, cold medicine, asthma, paint huffing, airplane glue........

moonpie23
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I am a long time Duke man ('57), don't like UNC teams, but incredible NBC news item about a child at UNC med center. Congenitally deaf, surgical implants, and on recorded news, first heard his parents' voice. Give to the docs there. The rivalry is of so little import compared to this.

my family has had a LOT of medical service from unc and i can vouch....they are an excellent facility.....

we just don't like their athletics....

brevity
06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
They're related (but then so were Mother Teresa and Attila the Hun; I know which one I'd visit if I had the munchies)

"Want a Twinkie, Genghis Khan?"

I think we need to set aside this discussion of the war on drugs and concentrate on what really counts: a former UNC player getting busted for weed, and the fundamental right of Duke fans to make fun of that. The bad timing is a bonus.

mattman91
06-20-2013, 09:59 PM
"Want a Twinkie, Genghis Khan?"

I think we need to set aside this discussion of the war on drugs and concentrate on what really counts: a former UNC player getting busted for weed, and the fundamental right of Duke fans to make fun of that. The bad timing is a bonus.

ehh...true. Maybe I was being a little too sensitive. It is funny. Maybe Taylor King can teach these guys how to no get caught by the 5-0? :o

BD80
06-20-2013, 10:03 PM
my family has had a LOT of medical service from unc and i can vouch....they are an excellent facility.....

we just don't like their athletics....

It is fortuitous, then, that unc keeps its athletes insulated from its academics. A Swahili wall, so to speak ...

devildeac
06-20-2013, 10:42 PM

On a related note:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/university-of-north-carolina-chapel-hill-04083

devildeac
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
From geocities:

At the 99-00 Duke-UNC game the Crazies favorite point guard, Ed Cota, was the butt of many jokes. In the preceding November Ed Cota was arrested for a fight on the Chapel Hill campus. As Cota was introduced he was welcomed to hundreds of fake mug shots. This picture was featured in a Sports Illustrated. Also the Crazies chanted such things as criminal etc. Proof that Ed Cota isn't as fond of the Crazies as they are of him; when Cota's EA Sports California All-Stars met Duke, he mysteriously dissappeared and wasn't present. Every EA Sports player was greeted by a rousing "Where's Ed?

Can't post the photo but here's the link:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/north-carolina-ed-cota-in-action-taking-foul-shot-vs-duke-news-photo/81429513

DukeAlumBS
06-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Help me my friends. This another arrest on the 19th of Cota? Clarify for me. My God UNC is on a roll if this is for real. Have nice day my friends, Jimmy

Wander
06-21-2013, 06:57 AM
but this goes without saying for ANY mind altering substance....pot, alcohol, cold medicine, asthma, paint huffing, airplane glue........

Yeah, but no one tries to claim airplane glue is "the most beneficial crop on Earth" or whatever.

DukeAlumBS
06-21-2013, 07:29 AM
I got it, former player, you all have nice weekend!

Jimmy

lotusland
06-21-2013, 09:18 AM

I will second that. I have a 12-year old son who was born profoundly deaf and implanted at UNC hospital at 13 mos old. He reads at a college level and is an excellent student. Kudos to Dr buchman and the entire surgical staff at UNC. If they had an implant to correct stubbornness and being argumentative I might even consider switching my allegiance. On second thought prolly not.

brevity
06-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but no one tries to claim airplane glue is "the most beneficial crop on Earth" or whatever.

What? It's not? Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing it.

devildeac
06-21-2013, 05:10 PM
From geocities:

At the 99-00 Duke-UNC game the Crazies favorite point guard, Ed Cota, was the butt of many jokes. In the preceding November Ed Cota was arrested for a fight on the Chapel Hill campus. As Cota was introduced he was welcomed to hundreds of fake mug shots. This picture was featured in a Sports Illustrated. Also the Crazies chanted such things as criminal etc. Proof that Ed Cota isn't as fond of the Crazies as they are of him; when Cota's EA Sports California All-Stars met Duke, he mysteriously dissappeared and wasn't present. Every EA Sports player was greeted by a rousing "Where's Ed?

Can't post the photo but here's the link:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/north-carolina-ed-cota-in-action-taking-foul-shot-vs-duke-news-photo/81429513

Friend of mine emailed me after I sent this link/photo and said one of his children was there and held up the following sign:

Chris Carrawell-Player of the Year
Coach K-Coach of the Year
Ed Cota-Six months to a year

Classic Crazies stuff.

CDu
06-22-2013, 10:09 AM

I am not sure why the disclaimer in the first sentence is necessary. I would hope that all of us are able to distinguish between the jerseys (note: not the players wearing them) worn by the athletic teams and the research done (and education provided) by the institution.

UNC is an excellent school, despite the Af Am studies scandal. They do excellent research in a variety of fields. Their hospital is terrific and is incredibly important to the welfare of the state, as that is where the folks with no or low-quality insurance (the folks who tend to be, on average, sicker) go for care. There is no reason one should have to qualify a positive statement about the academics, research, or medical care provided by UNC.