PDA

View Full Version : Football Previews/Training Camp News

Bob Green
06-18-2013, 07:35 PM
It's June so the college football previews have started to hit the street and it should surprise no one that they are not being kind to Duke. This one, from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/06/17/duke-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2431349/

is a pretty good write-up except for the bottom line, which has Duke ranked #86 out of 125. We are behind every team in the ACC except Boston College. Moreover, non-conference foe Navy will be ranked ahead of us. Memphis at #116 and Troy at #97 (along with FCS opponent NCCU) are the teams on our schedule ranked lower.

It seems the talking heads all expect Duke to take a step back this season with a final record closer to 2011's 3-9 than 2012's 6-7. My view is more optimistic. Oh well, that's why they play the games on the field.

It'll be interesting to see where Navy, Virginia, Wake Forest, N.C. State and Pittsburgh fall out in the rankings. Those are all teams we should be very competitive with this year.

Olympic Fan
06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm with you, Bob. People doesn't seem to understand that Duke's talent base is increasing ... not decreasing.

Plus, it's unlikely we have another year with as many injuries.

I'm baffled by all the preseason magazines that pick Virginia ahead of Duke. Not only has Cut beat the Cavs four out of five times, Duke beat them 42-17 last year. Duke was clearly the better team. Okay, I know Duke lost Renfree, but he didn't play against the Cavs last year ... Boone started and went the distance, throwing 4 TD passes without an interception. On the other hand, the two players who stared the starting QB at Virginia -- Rocco and Sims -- have both left. Duke has more coming back than the Cavs.

Yet, EVERYBODY I've seen picks Virginia ahead of Duke. That's one I don't get.

Duvall
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
To be fair, it's reasonable to expect Virginia to improve now they have a competent head coach on their staff.

OldPhiKap
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
As I have said in prior years, I do not expect writers to pick us out of the basement until we prove to the contrary. It is on us to change the perception, not lazy writers to go against the easy calls.

This would be a good year to change the narrative. But it is on us to make that change. Was last year a fluke, or a fundamental change?

Tell you the answer in December.

uh_no
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm with you, Bob. People doesn't seem to understand that Duke's talent base is increasing ... not decreasing.

I thought he was completely fair. He pointed out that there is a lot of talent on the team, but that much of the team's success will hinge on how they work under the new offense.

We've been spoiled with a great quarterback in a system that fit him perfectly for the past 3 years....and now we're taking a step back at QB (nothing against boone, but right now, he's not as good as renfree was last year), and moving into a system that is somewhat different....it may work great, and it may fall apart.

I think he undersells the difficulty of the schedule we faced last year, and how the light schedule will be a boon this year, but I think much of that is because people that do these kind of things, while appearing thorough, are based so heavily on stats that there often isn't time to dig deeper

we're able to dig deeper (since we all follow the program closely), so I really can't blame the guy too much. I thought he did a pretty good job, and it was a good read (especially the top 5 A names), and if the offense fizzles, and the defense does not show the marked improvement we are hoping for, I can see his prediction being accurate.....of course, I think it will be the easy schedule, and the lack of injuries in the secondary that will give us bowl #2 in as many years

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I thought he was completely fair. He pointed out that there is a lot of talent on the team, but that much of the team's success will hinge on how they work under the new offense.

We've been spoiled with a great quarterback in a system that fit him perfectly for the past 3 years....and now we're taking a step back at QB (nothing against boone, but right now, he's not as good as renfree was last year), and moving into a system that is somewhat different....it may work great, and it may fall apart.

I thought the article was fair too, and for just that reason above. It's an unproven system, so I see the hesitancy. However, the attitude of "the team will have to prove itself" is getting a bit tiresome. I'm not sure that after we go bowling this year it will stop. Oh well. There are a couple fun points about the article, and one was his look back at the prediction last year, and that it turned out to be wrong. So in another year from now, that part will be once again fun to read. And he also does outline a possibility where we go 9-3 and have an amazing season, so kudos for that.
Honestly, my biggest complaint? Crowder caught that ball, not Vernon.

mkline09
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
It's June so the college football previews have started to hit the street and it should surprise no one that they are not being kind to Duke. This one, from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/06/17/duke-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2431349/

is a pretty good write-up except for the bottom line, which has Duke ranked #86 out of 125. We are behind every team in the ACC except Boston College. Moreover, non-conference foe Navy will be ranked ahead of us. Memphis at #116 and Troy at #97 (along with FCS opponent NCCU) are the teams on our schedule ranked lower.

It seems the talking heads all expect Duke to take a step back this season with a final record closer to 2011's 3-9 than 2012's 6-7. My view is more optimistic. Oh well, that's why they play the games on the field.

It'll be interesting to see where Navy, Virginia, Wake Forest, N.C. State and Pittsburgh fall out in the rankings. Those are all teams we should be very competitive with this year.

I'm okay with the experts who spend all their time solely focused on only the top tier programs to over look at the lower or up and coming programs. College Football has become about 10-15 teams in their eyes and everyone else gets a half-hearted glance. It is easier for them to spend their efforts looking at the National Title contenders and roll the dice that the guys who haven't done much won't do much again. I like Duke's chances, if things go well to win 7-8 games this year. The key concern is can Boone be the guy to make the ship go and does he have enough weapons at receiver. Time will tell but I find that most of the preseason looks at Duke, aside from those who really know the program, will be a bit dismissive. And I'm fine with that, especially when Duke wins.

loran16
06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

It's about time we address this point. How good was Duke Football last year? Yes they were 6-7. But records don't show how good a team is, and bouts of luck can result in wins and losses that aren't quite deserved or wouldn't happen again if the game was replayed.

Well, Football Outsiders' F+ rankings, which attempt to use stats to build a profile of how good each team is - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fplus2012 - have us at 81st last year. Yes, 81st in a year we made a bowl. How is that possible?

Well again we had the 116th ranked Defense last year, but still pulled off 6 wins. That was kind of improbable.

Now as for how we ranked compared to other ACC teams:
5. FSU
22. Clemson
43. VaTech
46. UNC
49. GTech
63. NC State
65. Miami
81. Duke
83. UVA
86. Maryland
88. Boston College
107. Wake Forest

Navy BTW was at 97.

So perhaps it's unfair for Duke to be ranked behind UVA, Maryland, and Wake, all of whom were worse than this team last year. On the other hand, it's not unfair for us to drop from 81 to 86 given a QB change.

This isn't limited to FO's rankings btw, Sagarin's predictor had us at 76th.

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Found this link on ESPN's ACC football blog, it looks at defenses this year, and ranks each going into the season. Duke comes in 9th.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2013/jun/18/sizing-acc-clemson-just-one-d-line-depth-filled-co/?partner=RSS

loran16
06-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Found this link on ESPN's ACC football blog, it looks at defenses this year, and ranks each going into the season. Duke comes in 9th.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2013/jun/18/sizing-acc-clemson-just-one-d-line-depth-filled-co/?partner=RSS

Note: that's just a ranking of the D-Lines, not the defenses if i read it right.

Bob Green
06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Note: that's just a ranking of the D-Lines, not the defenses if i read it right.

Yep, it is just the D-Line. Here is the QB article where Anthony Boone is 9th.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2013/jun/16/sizing-acc-boyd-leads-mix-youth-experience-qb/

devildeac
06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Not that I'm here to defend the defense, but I've got a few spare trident points for anyone with the time, desire and resources to show us all what our D was ranked before the FSU and Clemson games, where we gave up 100+ points and ~1400 yds offense, and after those trouncings. I know we gave up a lot of yards and points to UM, too, but just not nearly as bad as those other two games. I looked in a couple places but just couldn't find the stats I needed to make this "argument." Granted, we weren't great before those two games, but I'd bet a nickel or two of Bob Green's beer money that our defensive ratings plummeted about that time.

loran16
06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Not that I'm here to defend the defense, but I've got a few spare trident points for anyone with the time, desire and resources to show us all what our D was ranked before the FSU and Clemson games, where we gave up 100+ points and ~1400 yds offense, and after those trouncings. I know we gave up a lot of yards and points to UM, too, but just not nearly as bad as those other two games. I looked in a couple places but just couldn't find the stats I needed to make this "argument." Granted, we weren't great before those two games, but I'd bet a nickel or two of Bob Green's beer money that our defensive ratings plummeted about that time.

A few things:
1. We were in the bottom for pretty much all year - i kept checking acc official stats on that.
2. you can't ignore those #s because those were good teams - FO's #s take into account competition for example.

I wish i could show you proof of #1, but it's pretty clearly true: the D was terrible all year round.

Put it this way:
Through 8 games, opponents averaged 396 yards per game against the Duke D. And that's with Memphis' awful around 120 yard performance, take them out it's over 400 and then Duke is being outgained. Those are pretty awful #s.

Duvall
06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
A few things:
Put it this way:
Through 8 games, opponents averaged 396 yards per game against the Duke D. And that's with Memphis' awful around 120 yard performance, take them out it's over 400 and then Duke is being outgained. Those are pretty awful #s.

Did Duke not play Memphis last year?

CameronBornAndBred
06-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Good catch. Scared to think where our secondary is. (I know where we are, and it scares me)

loran16
06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Did Duke not play Memphis last year?

Yes. My point was that it was a ginormous outlier which skews the #. If you want to take out FSU, you take out Memphis.

Bob Green
06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Granted, we weren't great before those two games, but I'd bet a nickel or two of Bob Green's beer money that our defensive ratings plummeted about that time.

Hey! Be careful with my beer money. We gave up 513 yards of total offense to FIU in Week 1 and 50 points to Stanford in Week 2. Our defensive ratings were bad from the start. Gratefully, last season is in the rear view mirror.

This season we have several key players back healthy: Kelby Brown, Jamal Bruce and Kenny Anunike for starters. The DL will feature many experienced players such as Dezmond Johnson, Sydney Sarmiento, Justin Foxx, Steve Ingram and Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo. Several other key players are a year older and more experienced such as Dwayne Norman, Kyler Brown and David Helton. Jeremy Cash is eligible to play and based on the Spring Game looks ready to step into the footsteps of Walt Canty and Matt Daniels who both earned All ACC honors at the Bandit Safety position in 2012 and 2011. There is no doubt a couple of youngsters are going to have to step up and play early especially at cornerback alongside All ACC Ross Cockrell. A.J. Wolf, Carlos Wray and Keilin Rayner are young defensive lineman who will need to contribute.

I'm optimistic, I mean I'm not Ozzie optimistic, but the defensive glass is half full in my eyes.

luvdahops
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
A few things:
1. We were in the bottom for pretty much all year - i kept checking acc official stats on that.
2. you can't ignore those #s because those were good teams - FO's #s take into account competition for example.

I wish i could show you proof of #1, but it's pretty clearly true: the D was terrible all year round.

Put it this way:

I agree with you and would add that our D was highly susceptible to huge gains pretty much all year. While the frequency of these "gash" plays undoubtedly increased with FSU and Clemson, they were evident earlier (2nd halfs against VT and Carolina for example), and are indicative of both talent and scheme deficiencies. When I watch Stanford and, to a much lesser extent Northwestern, I am struck by how well their defenders tackle in space. Duke has been abysmal at this for years, but if anything it seems worse under Cut, and was avert your eyes bad last year, especially the last 4 regular season games and for sure in the Belk Bowl.

Bob Green
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Laura Keeley on Duke's running backs and running game:

http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybittervirginiatechfootball/2013/06/16/ask-another-teams-beat-writer-duke-2/

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/duke-football-running-backs

I think see misses the mark. The OL and RBs are going to prove her wrong.

Bob Green
06-22-2013, 02:52 PM

#84: Pittsburgh

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/06/19/pittsburgh-pitt-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2437789/

Player to Watch:

Senior Devin Street (73 receptions for 975 yards) will make anywhere from 25 to 100 grabs in 2012. The latter is a possibility: Street's an All-ACC receiver playing with a big-time quarterback, so a hugely productive final campaign is very much in the cards. The lower end is also a possibility: Street is the only receiver on this roster of any consequence whatsoever, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see the senior double-teamed on every play, come rain or shine.

Devin Street meet Ross Cockrell.

Bob Green
06-23-2013, 06:42 AM

#78: Virginia

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/06/22/virginia-uva-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2449167/

Player to Watch: quarterback

Sims is gone, Rocco's gone, and UVa will turn to either sophomore David Watford or redshirt freshman Greyson Lambert.

Other significant commentary: defense

Youth, youth and more youth.

chrishoke
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Navy is yet to show up - hard to believe that they think Navy is significantly better than us.

CameronBornAndBred
06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Laura Keeley looks at our rushing game. It's a good article. Even though she is down on expectations, she gives a good reason as to why. And even though she is grim, pay attention to her last sentence.

It's come to my attention that a further explanation of my comments on the running game might be helpful to some. I took the time to give a more detailed explanation in the preview I wrote for Sam, but, seeing as I'm on furlough next week, I'll post said explanation here.

Basically, my theory on Duke's running game is this: until proven otherwise, I’m not expecting a whole lot out of this group.

Now put down the pitchforks and read.

http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-closer-look-at-dukes-returning.html

dpslaw
06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
As Laura notes, the team was eighth in rushing last year, after three consecutive years of finishing dead last. I, for one, would be delighted with similar improvement again this year. And after what I saw at the Belk Bowl, I would be surprised if we don't see another leap forward.

johnb
06-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by loran16
Good catch. Scared to think where our secondary is. (I know where we are, and it scares me)

I'd think secondaries and D lines should be rated as a unit since weakness in one would negatively affect the effectiveness of the other. If we can avoid injuries, both groups should be significantly improved....

Bob Green
06-27-2013, 06:24 AM
#72: Wake Forest

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/06/26/wake-forest-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2459897/

Their offensive line will be the turning point for the season as Coach Grobe intends to return to a run oriented offense. The line was hurt/inconsistent last year and spring training didn't change much so the outlook is unknown.

dpslaw
06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
#72: Wake Forest

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... w/2459897/

Their offensive line will be the turning point for the season as Coach Grobe intends to return to a run oriented offense. The line was hurt/inconsistent last year and spring training didn't change much so the outlook is unknown.

Worst case scenario: 4 and 8, including a win over Duke. Seriously? Talk about no respect!

Bob Green
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Lindy's tabbed five Blue Devils for preseason All ACC honors:

1st Team: Ross Cockrell and Will Monday

2nd Team: Ross Martin, Brandon Connette

3rd Team: Dave Harding

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208554273&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Connette is a surprise as is the absence of Laken Tomlinson.

Football practice starts in a month with the season kicking off in 59 days and 22 hours as of the time of this post. It would be great to read Duke football discussion on DBR. I'm kinda tired of reading about P.J. Hairston and/or the UNC Academic Scandal. Duke football is a much more interesting topic! ;)

mkline09
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Lindy's tabbed five Blue Devils for preseason All ACC honors:

1st Team: Ross Cockrell and Will Monday

2nd Team: Ross Martin, Brandon Connette

3rd Team: Dave Harding

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208554273&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Connette is a surprise as is the absence of Laken Tomlinson.

Football practice starts in a month with the season kicking off in 59 days and 22 hours as of the time of this post. It would be great to read Duke football discussion on DBR. I'm kinda tired of reading about P.J. Hairston and/or the UNC Academic Scandal. Duke football is a much more interesting topic! ;)

Agreed and Duke FB is a much more difficult topic to find people to want to talk to you about and the major media outlets don't give Duke Football a second thought. Might as well talk about it amongst fellow fans.

Mike Corey
07-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Let the prognosticators be underwhelmed.

Most will look at who we lost and not who we return.

There will be hiccups this season, as ever, but I suspect this will be our most talented team yet.

I'm most intrigued to see how our defense evolves, with Jeremy Cash in the backfield in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVkMCQtrHY

mkline09
07-03-2013, 09:35 AM

Most will look at who we lost and not who we return.

There will be hiccups this season, as ever, but I suspect this will be our most talented team yet.

I'm most intrigued to see how our defense evolves, with Jeremy Cash in the backfield in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVkMCQtrHY

I'm fascinated by how the offense evolves and how the version of the spread offense works with Boone at the helm. I think the defense should be better if they stay healthy. I got excited listening to Cut talk about the team Tuesday on the David Glenn show. He seems excited and when he was interviewing Mike Krzyzewski, he could tell Cut was excited.

TruBlu
07-03-2013, 10:20 AM

I have been a fan of Jake Kite since watching this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlSrwhGzd4

Kid can hit. I hope he can do this on the field in college.

Getting excited for opening day.

mkline09
07-05-2013, 09:08 AM
I have been a fan of Jake Kite since watching this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlSrwhGzd4

Kid can hit. I hope he can do this on the field in college.

Getting excited for opening day.

Andrea Adelson has listed Duke's secondary as the weakest part of the team and that is partly fair but I think that is discounting the young guys like Evrett Edwards who could possibly start as a true freshman at corner. I think they'll be fine as long as the d-line stays healthy and can stop the run and put some pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I think where the secondary gets into trouble is when the opposing QB has forever and a day to make a play down field. If he has all day to throw that puts a lot of pressure on the secondary, experienced or not. So I think that d-line, linebacking corp will be key in helping the secondary be better. Maybe as much as personnel.

loran16
07-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Andrea Adelson has listed Duke's secondary as the weakest part of the team and that is partly fair but I think that is discounting the young guys like Evrett Edwards who could possibly start as a true freshman at corner. I think they'll be fine as long as the d-line stays healthy and can stop the run and put some pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I think where the secondary gets into trouble is when the opposing QB has forever and a day to make a play down field. If he has all day to throw that puts a lot of pressure on the secondary, experienced or not. So I think that d-line, linebacking corp will be key in helping the secondary be better. Maybe as much as personnel.

Two things:
1. I think discounting true freshman starters at corner is proper, particularly when they're not super hyped recruits (Edwards is a 3 star, which is fine, but not the type of guy expected by anyone to make a huge difference as a true frosh).

2. As long as they can stop the run? Let's review:
2012: 115th
2011: 97th
2010: 63rd
2009: 107th
2008: 94th

Those are our ranks in Rushing D by Football Outsiders under Cut. ONE year better than 90th, and that was a marvelous 63rd (average).

Why does anyone think this team is suddenly going to stop the run? The best you can probably hope for is a rank of 90th again due to less injuries. Which is still terrible.

mkline09
07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Two things:
1. I think discounting true freshman starters at corner is proper, particularly when they're not super hyped recruits (Edwards is a 3 star, which is fine, but not the type of guy expected by anyone to make a huge difference as a true frosh).

2. As long as they can stop the run? Let's review:
2012: 115th
2011: 97th
2010: 63rd
2009: 107th
2008: 94th

Those are our ranks in Rushing D by Football Outsiders under Cut. ONE year better than 90th, and that was a marvelous 63rd (average).

Why does anyone think this team is suddenly going to stop the run? The best you can probably hope for is a rank of 90th again due to less injuries. Which is still terrible.

The defensive line and linebackers have been decimated by injuries the last couple years. They are a huge part in stopping the run. You can't stop the run you can't stop the pass. I think this team has the best chance of being better at that. Not necessarily great, but better IF they stay healthy.

And while I agree with your take generally on true freshman, you have to consider by Duke's standards, 3-star recruit, might as well be 4 or 5. Edwards will struggle, as will any other freshman, but Cockrell started as a freshman. He struggled but is has worked out well. Not saying things, in terms of rankings will be drastically better, but I feel they can be better.

budwom
07-05-2013, 11:09 AM
perfectly fair to question our run defense. It has been abominable.

Two possible (stress that word) areas of hope: 1) Kelby Brown will be back, allegedly at full strength. Our linebackers were woeful last year, and Brown was a first
rate LB when healthy. 2) Evidently Cutcliffe has made major changes in the defensive scheme...we probably won't know what they are until the season starts, but
last year's 4-2-5 pretty much stank.

And a third reason: there actually are some young defensive linemen with promise, guys like Bruce, Wray, Marshall, Reyner and a few others....hopefully a year of
seasoning has done them some good.

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic about the defense, but I would say there's some hope, as long as injuries don't whack us like they did last year.

loran16
07-05-2013, 11:12 AM
The defensive line and linebackers have been decimated by injuries the last couple years. They are a huge part in stopping the run. You can't stop the run you can't stop the pass. I think this team has the best chance of being better at that. Not necessarily great, but better IF they stay healthy.

And while I agree with your take generally on true freshman, you have to consider by Duke's standards, 3-star recruit, might as well be 4 or 5. Edwards will struggle, as will any other freshman, but Cockrell started as a freshman. He struggled but is has worked out well. Not saying things, in terms of rankings will be drastically better, but I feel they can be better.

I am not saying being a 3 star is bad. I want Duke to have more 3 stars!

I am saying that saying that someone isn't accounting for a true freshman 3 star's impact is kind of silly, because 99% of true freshmen 3 stars will make no impact.

As for the D itself - I hope to be disappointed. But even when the guys are healthy, Cut's shown no track record of putting together a decent D, particularly against the run. At some point being perpetually injured isn't luck.

mkline09
07-05-2013, 11:30 AM
I am not saying being a 3 star is bad. I want Duke to have more 3 stars!

I am saying that saying that someone isn't accounting for a true freshman 3 star's impact is kind of silly, because 99% of true freshmen 3 stars will make no impact.

As for the D itself - I hope to be disappointed. But even when the guys are healthy, Cut's shown no track record of putting together a decent D, particularly against the run. At some point being perpetually injured isn't luck.

The problem I have with Duke's defense is the 4-2-5. I only dislike the 3-4 more as a defensive scheme. Given their lack of experience at DB I'd prefer the standard 4-3 with more help in the box to stop the run. With only two linebackers it is much harder to fill in the gaps and then you throw a safety in their to fill the gaps and he may not necessarily be right for that spot, especially how young they are in the secondary.

As far as the 3-star impact, I think we can see 3-stars have impacts as freshman. Jamison Crowder was a 3-star and had an impact as a freshman. Duke has had to have a lot of 3-star prospect make an impact. I don't think it is ideal, but I don't think it is an unrealistic or silly expectation. It is what it is.

budwom
07-05-2013, 12:35 PM
The problem I have with Duke's defense is the 4-2-5. I only dislike the 3-4 more as a defensive scheme. Given their lack of experience at DB I'd prefer the standard 4-3 with more help in the box to stop the run. With only two linebackers it is much harder to fill in the gaps and then you throw a safety in their to fill the gaps and he may not necessarily be right for that spot, especially how young they are in the secondary.

As far as the 3-star impact, I think we can see 3-stars have impacts as freshman. Jamison Crowder was a 3-star and had an impact as a freshman. Duke has had to have a lot of 3-star prospect make an impact. I don't think it is ideal, but I don't think it is an unrealistic or silly expectation. It is what it is.

The way we ran the 4-2-5, at times I had a lot of trouble distinguishing it from a 4-3. I remember when they converted Campbell from a LB to a safety...and he essentially set up in almost the
exact same place as he did when they called him a LB. In his case, the problem wasn't whether he played as a LB or an S...the problem was he was a mediocre talent, at best.

Hopefully some of the young safeties and LBs who got some experience last year will step up and make a badly needed contribution...last year our linebackers were simply awful.

ns7
07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
The way we ran the 4-2-5, at times I had a lot of trouble distinguishing it from a 4-3. I remember when they converted Campbell from a LB to a safety...and he essentially set up in almost the
exact same place as he did when they called him a LB. In his case, the problem wasn't whether he played as a LB or an S...the problem was he was a mediocre talent, at best.

Hopefully some of the young safeties and LBs who got some experience last year will step up and make a badly needed contribution...last year our linebackers were simply awful.

The 4-2-5 is meant to be a defense that allows many looks. The extra DB is usually a tweener than can play LB or a S depending on the offense's look. He is tasked with reading the offense's setup and his (and thus the defense's) approach. It sounds like Campbell was the "fifth" DB. I don't get to watch as many Duke games anymore so I can't say for sure.

The 4-2-5 is also strong against the spread, e.g., offenses like North Carolina's.

Here's a great article on the 4-2-5, but it's about Ellis Johnson's old defense at South Carolina. Johnson is now the DC at Auburn, but SC still runs the 4-2-5.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/478132-south-carolina-gamecocks-defense-schemes-and-alignments

mkline09
07-06-2013, 07:36 AM
The 4-2-5 is meant to be a defense that allows many looks. The extra DB is usually a tweener than can play LB or a S depending on the offense's look. He is tasked with reading the offense's setup and his (and thus the defense's) approach. It sounds like Campbell was the "fifth" DB. I don't get to watch as many Duke games anymore so I can't say for sure.

The 4-2-5 is also strong against the spread, e.g., offenses like North Carolina's.

Here's a great article on the 4-2-5, but it's about Ellis Johnson's old defense at South Carolina. Johnson is now the DC at Auburn, but SC still runs the 4-2-5.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/478132-south-carolina-gamecocks-defense-schemes-and-alignments

A 4-2-5 is a good defense if you have the personnel to run it. You need speed, athleticism and Duke has had a shortage of that. They are getting better each year. I again though think health, or lack there of has been a major factor in the defenses struggles.

Bob Green
07-06-2013, 07:54 AM
They are getting better each year. I again though think health, or lack there of has been a major factor in the defenses struggles.

I agree with you in that the defense has been decimated with injuries; however, the bigger issue has been a lack of depth that prevented injured players from being replaced without a significant dip in talent level. The staff is working hard to increase the roster talent.

OldPhiKap
07-06-2013, 08:40 AM
4-2-5 relies in confusing and deceiving the other team. When you're not the biggest, fastest, or deepest, you gotta be the trickiest.

Bob nailed it -- lack of depth and lots of injuries last year left us stretched Pretty thinly.

budwom
07-06-2013, 08:51 AM
One of the main reasons we went to the 4-2-5 was that we knew we didn't have many good linebackers, and thought we had a bunch of safeties, but
injuries decimated the safety corps. We just couldn't keep those guys healthy.

No scheme can hide bad linebackers....and we had bad linebackers. That's why which scheme we run is
something of a moot point: if you don't have athletes who can run to the ball and tackle, you can't
succeed, no matter how you align them.

Will better health (Kelby Brown), more experience, and some promising frosh help?

left_hook_lacey
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
There is one major positive from these early reports. We're discussing football!!!

Which means it won't be as long as it has been. I for one can't wait for cool Saturday mornings, the grill stinking up the neighborhood, and my better half telling me I waste too much time watching football.(She actually keeps up with how many hours I spend watching/going to football games and cooking for football games. And then tells me how many things I could've gotten done in that time. She's right, but who cares.) Keep fighting the good fight fellas. And ladies. ;)

TruBlu
07-06-2013, 10:27 AM
There is one major positive from these early reports. We're discussing football!!!

Which means it won't be as long as it has been. I for one can't wait for cool Saturday mornings, the grill stinking up the neighborhood, and my better half telling me I waste too much time watching football.(She actually keeps up with how many hours I spend watching/going to football games and cooking for football games. And then tells me how many things I could've gotten done in that time. She's right, but who cares.) Keep fighting the good fight fellas. And ladies. ;)

I would suggest telling her that she has too much free time if she can track your time . . . but then I am always in serious trouble with my wife, so never mind.:o

Indoor66
07-06-2013, 10:32 AM
I would suggest telling her that she has too much free time if she can track your time . . . but then I am always in serious trouble with my wife, so never mind.:o

Yeah, those are the types of things that are the primary reasons I don't try to keep one around. :D:cool:

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2013, 12:13 PM
I will admit that the snake-bitten Blue Devil defense is always a concern. That said, another huge concern for this season is the depth, or lack there of, behind Boone. Any word on the recovery of Sirk? Will he be a medical red-shirt this year or is there hope for him to be available?

Olympic Fan
07-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I will admit that the snake-bitten Blue Devil defense is always a concern. That said, another huge concern for this season is the depth, or lack there of, behind Boone. Any word on the recovery of Sirk? Will he be a medical red-shirt this year or is there hope for him to be available?

we've been over this before -- since Sirk voluntarily redshirted last year, there's almost no chance that he earns a hardship year. No recent word on his recovery, but last spring Cut was telling fan gatherings that he expected Sirk back by midseason. We do have Connette -- an even better runner than Boone -- as a backup. And freshman Parker Boehme, who was here last spring, looked good in the spring game. He could play this year as a true freshman and maybe redshirt next season when Boone and Connette are seniors and Sirk will be presumably be healthy.

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2013, 04:33 PM
we've been over this before -- since Sirk voluntarily redshirted last year, there's almost no chance that he earns a hardship year. No recent word on his recovery, but last spring Cut was telling fan gatherings that he expected Sirk back by midseason. We do have Connette -- an even better runner than Boone -- as a backup. And freshman Parker Boehme, who was here last spring, looked good in the spring game. He could play this year as a true freshman and maybe redshirt next season when Boone and Connette are seniors and Sirk will be presumably be healthy.

Clearly I missed the Sirk convo the first time around, so thanks for the recap. Yes, Connette can run, but he's a predictable one trick pony in my opinion. Defenses see him in the game, and key in on running tendencies. His throwing abilities, are comparable to Tebow...as we all know, that's not a good thing. Sight unseen, Parker Boehme slides into the 2nd string spot immediately for me, until Sirk can get back. I'm excited to see what Duke can get done on the gridiron this fall, but I know it will be a challenge.

CameronBornAndBred
07-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Clearly I missed the Sirk convo the first time around, so thanks for the recap. Yes, Connette can run, but he's a predictable one trick pony in my opinion.
Not disagreeing...much...but reword please. "The coaches (Roper) turn him into a predictable one trick pony".
Connette has lots of talents, I am hoping we get to see more facets this year. (I think we will, and I'm excited.)

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Not disagreeing...much...but reword please. "The coaches (Roper) turn him into a predictable one trick pony".
Connette has lots of talents, I am hoping we get to see more facets this year. (I think we will, and I'm excited.)

I'm not taking away from what Connette brings to the team, he's a very versatile player and can be lined up in a variety of positions on the field. However, I do have doubts about what he brings to the QB position. I'm pretty sure there's a reason the coaches have pigeon holed him into a running QB. I don't recall having ever been WOW'ed by a Connette pass. That's usually more of a hold your breath and pray type of play.

Olympic Fan
07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Clearly I missed the Sirk convo the first time around, so thanks for the recap. Yes, Connette can run, but he's a predictable one trick pony in my opinion. Defenses see him in the game, and key in on running tendencies. His throwing abilities, are comparable to Tebow...as we all know, that's not a good thing. Sight unseen, Parker Boehme slides into the 2nd string spot immediately for me, until Sirk can get back. I'm excited to see what Duke can get done on the gridiron this fall, but I know it will be a challenge.

And, yet, even though they know he's going to run, they haven't been able to stop him in 3rd down and goal line situations. Last year, Connette carried 41 times -- scoring eight touchdowns and converting 19 first downs. He doesn't get big yardage, but he's almost impossible to stop in short yardage.

He could be even more effective this season as Duke incorporates the read option. Defenses will still guess that the run is coming (although Connette did throw three TD passes last year in 12 attempted passes), but they wouldn't know if he was going to keep it or hand off to Duncan or Snead. He might not know -- that's a function of the read option ... it's an option play.

The biggest problem with Connette as the backup QB is that it could limit his useage as a WR/TE/RB. He's one of the most versatile players in college football. It's a shame to limit his role.

And, BTW, no way that Boehme leapfrogs Connette on the depth chart.

duke blue brewcrew
07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
And, yet, even though they know he's going to run, they haven't been able to stop him in 3rd down and goal line situations. Last year, Connette carried 41 times -- scoring eight touchdowns and converting 19 first downs. He doesn't get big yardage, but he's almost impossible to stop in short yardage.

He could be even more effective this season as Duke incorporates the read option. Defenses will still guess that the run is coming (although Connette did throw three TD passes last year in 12 attempted passes), but they wouldn't know if he was going to keep it or hand off to Duncan or Snead. He might not know -- that's a function of the read option ... it's an option play.

The biggest problem with Connette as the backup QB is that it could limit his useage as a WR/TE/RB. He's one of the most versatile players in college football. It's a shame to limit his role.

And, BTW, no way that Boehme leapfrogs Connette on the depth chart.

Connette is outstanding in the redzone and as I have stated, he has incredible versatility and can be put in positions to contribute all over the field. My point is, while Connette is incredibly effective in the redzone and in short yardage situations, that's a very limited role. What about the other 80 yards outside of the redzone? That's where I have zero confidence in Connette. BTW...If you need someone to complete a pass of any significance other than Boone (assuming Sirk is not available), Boehme absolutely should leapfrog the very Tebow-esque Connette. No Zone Read or any other offensive scheme is going to help a telegraphed wounded duck. With all due respect to Connette who plays with the heart of a lion, throwing the football just is not his strength.

budwom
07-06-2013, 10:28 PM
I tend to agree. Connette has done some really good things (e.g. goal line offense) but he very much needs to improve his passing to be effective on the entire field.

Olympic Fan
07-07-2013, 12:42 AM
I tend to agree. Connette has done some really good things (e.g. goal line offense) but he very much needs to improve his passing to be effective on the entire field.

You're trying to judge Connette as a QB in the pro style passing offense that Duke ran most of the time with Renfree (and before him, Thad Lewis). If he plays QB this year (beyond red zone and short yardage situations), you'll see Duke in a read option ... totally different situation and one that will make BC much more effective -- even in the 80 yards before the red zone.

NSDukeFan
07-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Connette is outstanding in the redzone and as I have stated, he has incredible versatility and can be put in positions to contribute all over the field. My point is, while Connette is incredibly effective in the redzone and in short yardage situations, that's a very limited role. What about the other 80 yards outside of the redzone? That's where I have zero confidence in Connette. BTW...If you need someone to complete a pass of any significance other than Boone (assuming Sirk is not available), Boehme absolutely should leapfrog the very Tebow-esque Connette. No Zone Read or any other offensive scheme is going to help a telegraphed wounded duck. With all due respect to Connette who plays with the heart of a lion, throwing the football just is not his strength.

I realize Tim Tebow hasn't been the most successful pro quarterback, but wouldn't Tebow-esque be a good thing for a Duke quarterback? He did win a Heisman, a national championship and threw for slightly fewer yards than Renfree did with many more touchdowns and fewer interceptions?

duke blue brewcrew
07-07-2013, 10:08 AM
You're trying to judge Connette as a QB in the pro style passing offense that Duke ran most of the time with Renfree (and before him, Thad Lewis). If he plays QB this year (beyond red zone and short yardage situations), you'll see Duke in a read option ... totally different situation and one that will make BC much more effective -- even in the 80 yards before the red zone.

While Duke is as deep at the RB position as anytime I can remember, including the Spurrier era...we still have a lot of talent at WR and TE. I agree that I am basing my judgements about Connette off more traditional pro-style offenses of the past, but I would like to see someone at the QB position behind Boone that can get those guys the ball. BC isn't that guy, no matter how you try to justify it. I haven't looked it up, but I'll ask the question. What percentage of BC's completions were outside of the redzone? I do want to see Duke get better at the running game, and I know this new system will go a long ways towards fixing that. I just don't think any system will fix what's broken with BC's throwing abilities. He stares down receivers and throws with mediocre velocity and accuracy. The bottom line is, and I just made this point with someone eles...Do you believe that BC can lead Duke back to another bowl game if he had to step up and fill in for Boone at QB? If your answer is yes, then we will agree to disagree and see what happens. Regardless, I know we will both be pulling like crazy to see if our Blue Devils can build on last year's success.

duke blue brewcrew
07-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I realize Tim Tebow hasn't been the most successful pro quarterback, but wouldn't Tebow-esque be a good thing for a Duke quarterback? He did win a Heisman, a national championship and threw for slightly fewer yards than Renfree did with many more touchdowns and fewer interceptions?

OK, to your point, Tebow-esque may be overstating things a bit then. Maybe Tebow-lite is better? Versatility aside, I certainly haven't seen a Heisman skill set out of BC. I'm not attacking BC, I love him as a player and the unique things he can do for Duke offensively. My only point is, if for some reason Boone goes down and we need our 2nd string guy to step up and lead us to a Bowl again this season, do you believe Connette is that guy? If yes, say so and we'll agree to disagree, move on, pull like crazy for Duke to have another improved season and see what happens.

mkline09
07-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree with you in that the defense has been decimated with injuries; however, the bigger issue has been a lack of depth that prevented injured players from being replaced without a significant dip in talent level. The staff is working hard to increase the roster talent.

Couldn't agree more and I think they are making significant headway there. It may be a year or two before some of it is realized but I think our patience is starting to pay dividends.

Bob Green
07-08-2013, 05:02 AM
#60: Navy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/08/navy-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2496967/

The Midshipmen return a solid sophomore QB, three starters on the offensive line and seven starters on defense. The major loss is leading rusher Gee Gee Greene. Navy will be a tough opponent on October 12 in Wallace Wade.

roywhite
07-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Phil Steele, who has the most comprehensive preseason football magazine IMO, has an encouraging note for Duke in his blog.

He says Duke will have one of the most improved rushing offenses in the country, ranking them #3 in the most improved category (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JUL13/DBJuly05.html)

A more balanced offense sounds good.

duke09hms
07-08-2013, 08:06 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/08/navy-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2496967/

The Midshipmen return a solid sophomore QB, three starters on the offensive line and seven starters on defense. The major loss is leading rusher Gee Gee Greene. Navy will be a tough opponent on October 12 in Wallace Wade.

So pumped for DUKE FOOTBALL!

The gf and I are traveling back "home" that weekend to catch the game. BEAT NAVY!

mkline09
07-08-2013, 08:28 AM

If this game holds true to past Duke-Navy games the final score should be about 64 to 58.

Scorp4me
07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Phil Steele, who has the most comprehensive preseason football magazine IMO, has an encouraging note for Duke in his blog.

He says Duke will have one of the most improved rushing offenses in the country, ranking them #3 in the most improved category (http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JUL13/DBJuly05.html)

While i understand the reasons why, the top of the list rushing improvement does seem to be offset by the bottom of the list passing improvement where we are listed next to last :-(

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-08-2013, 08:44 AM
While i understand the reasons why, the top of the list rushing improvement does seem to be offset by the bottom of the list passing improvement where we are listed next to last :-(
Maybe because we had less room for improvement compared to most others?

budwom
07-08-2013, 09:06 AM

I understand that...nonetheless, the read option isn't going to be a piece of cake for him if he can't establish himself as a more accurate passer. I'm not saying that he can't, simply
that he doesn't done so yet.

loran16
07-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Now THIS I agree with. Despite our losing streak to end the year, our Rushing game actually seemed to pick up in the final part of last year, and both Snead and Duncan are terrific (Duncan is going to only be a sophomore guys!).

Bob Green
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
If this game holds true to past Duke-Navy games the final score should be about 64 to 58.

Duke is 2-0 against Navy during the Coach Cutcliffe era winning 34-31 on 10/30/2010 and 41-31 on 9/13/2008. Our defense will face the triple option offense against Georgia Tech on Sept. 14 prior to facing the Midshipmen in October so that could work to our advantage. The offense could provide a huge assist to the defense by grinding out some long possession drives, which result in a touchdown. The less time Navy has the ball the better. Time of possession can be a useless statistic at times, but against a run dominant offense it often tells the tale. Forcing Navy to play from behind equals advantage Duke.

loran16
07-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Duke is 2-0 against Navy during the Coach Cutcliffe era winning 34-31 on 10/30/2010 and 41-31 on 9/13/2008. Our defense will face the triple option offense against Georgia Tech on Sept. 14 prior to facing the Midshipmen in October so that could work to our advantage. The offense could provide a huge assist to the defense by grinding out some long possession drives, which result in a touchdown. The less time Navy has the ball the better. Time of possession can be a useless statistic at times, but against a run dominant offense it often tells the tale. Forcing Navy to play from behind equals advantage Duke.

Eh, "Time of Possession" is still a useless statistic. You don't win because you spend more time than the opponent with the ball - you win because you score on more of your drives. In other words, Time of Possession is a side effect of winning, not a cause, if even that.

I have little faith in us beating GTech in week 2, but it'll help get ready for Navy. Still will be tough.

mkline09
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM

Agreed. Teams that are triple options, run oriented want to get a lead and control the time of possession. Duke has to get ahead and force Navy to play from behind. If they can get a two score lead and force the Midshipmen out of their comfort zone it is absolutely advantage Duke. The Blue Devils have to be efficient on offense and their defense needs to be stout. Duke has the running backs to grind out drives but will they use them?

Dev11
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
winning 34-31 on 10/30/2010

We were up about 30 in that game and almost lost it. I don't think I ever left a win that felt more like a loss than that one, and I was also at the Butler game where Kyrie was injured (we didn't realize at the time how serious that one would be).

Bob Green
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Eh, "Time of Possession" is still a useless statistic.

I disagree. "Useless" is too strong a descriptor, overrated perhaps but not useless.

You don't win because you spend more time than the opponent with the ball - you win because you score on more of your drives.

Exactly, which is why my post stated:

The offense could provide a huge assist to the defense by grinding out some long possession drives, which result in a touchdown.

If our offense can grind out time hogging, touchdown producing drives which keeps Navy's defense on the field and our defense on the sidelines it is a good thing. In the 2010 victory, Duke possessed the ball for 36:57 and in the 2008 victory Duke possessed the ball 32:20.

In 2007, Navy possessed the ball 35:25 and won 46-43; in 2006, Navy possessed the ball 33:05 and won 38-13. In games between equally matched opponents, time of possession can tell the tale.

throatybeard
07-11-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm confused. Gentlemen, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each others' heads open and feast upon the goo inside?

Jim3k
07-11-2013, 01:35 AM
I disagree.
If our offense can grind out time hogging, touchdown producing drives which keeps Navy's defense on the field and our defense on the sidelines it is a good thing. In the 2010 victory, Duke possessed the ball for 36:57 and in the 2008 victory Duke possessed the ball 32:20.

In 2007, Navy possessed the ball 35:25 and won 46-43; in 2006, Navy possessed the ball 33:05 and won 38-13. In games between equally matched opponents, time of possession can tell the tale.

Bill Murray football. ToP was key for his winning teams in the '60s.

throatybeard
07-11-2013, 01:45 AM
Bill Murray football. ToP was key for his winning teams in the '60s.

I just looked it up. Murray and Wallace Wade died within months of each other.

Jim3k
07-11-2013, 03:00 AM
I just looked it up. Murray and Wallace Wade died within months of each other.

You may have known Murray was head football coach at Delaware from 1940-1950. But I bet you didn't notice he was also the head basketball coach there for a year--1944-45. He wasn't too successful (http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/bill-murray); Delaware must have been desperate during the war.

jv001
07-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Now THIS I agree with. Despite our losing streak to end the year, our Rushing game actually seemed to pick up in the final part of last year, and both Snead and Duncan are terrific (Duncan is going to only be a sophomore guys!).

We did indeed run the ball better in the final part of last year and with a good to very good offensive line our running backs should get into the secondary more this year. Duncan has impressed me every time I've seen him. Now if we can just stop the other team from running the ball we'll be much better this season. GoDuke!

Bob Green
07-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Cockrell named to Nagurski Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208654560&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke redshirt senior cornerback Ross Cockrell has been named to the preseason Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, an honor presented annually to the nation’s top defensive player by the Charlotte Touchdown Club and the Football Writers Association of America.

Tomlinson named to Outland Trophy Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208654164&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke redshirt junior offensive guard Laken Tomlinson has been named to the preseason Watch List for the Outland Trophy, an honor presented annually by the Football Writers Association of America to the nation’s top interior lineman.

Bob Green
07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Ross Martin and Will Monday were named to the Lou Groza and Ray Guy Watch Lists respectively:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208633360&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke placekicker Ross Martin and punter Will Monday were named to the watch lists for their respective position awards, with Martin appearing on the Lou Groza College Place-Kicker Award watch list, presented by the Palm Beach County Sports Commission, and Monday earning a spot on the Ray Guy Award watch list, presented by the Augusta Sports Council.

Scorp4me
07-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Maybe because we had less room for improvement compared to most others?

I agree, as I mentioned I understand why. That being said, our passing will take a step back (as opposed to just little improvement). Nothing wrong with that though, it's understandable, to be expected with the graduation of Renfree/Vernon, and more balance won't be a bad thing.

Bob Green
07-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Ross Cockrell has been named to the Thorpe Award Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208656694&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke redshirt senior cornerback Ross Cockrell was named to the 48-player watch list for the 2013 Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to college football’s top defensive back by the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame and the Jim Thorpe Association.

Newton_14
07-12-2013, 09:37 PM

I saw it first hand at several games, the UNC game being the most impressive. We ran it down their throat all night long. Their coaches were going nuts on the sideline. It was very impressive. UNC kept making adjustments and Duke kept popping out 7 yard runs, which eventually led to passing lanes opening up. Fun times.

Bob Green
07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
NCSU: #53

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/15/north-carolina-state-nc-state-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2516925/

The Wolfpack are ranked 33 positions higher than Duke. I do not believe it so I remain convinced NCSU is a team Duke will beat on November 9.

BigWayne
07-16-2013, 03:27 AM
Nice article in the Herald Sun. http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x533456468/Blue-Devils-continue-to-take-ownership

mkline09
07-16-2013, 09:27 AM
NCSU: #53

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/15/north-carolina-state-nc-state-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2516925/

The Wolfpack are ranked 33 positions higher than Duke. I do not believe it so I remain convinced NCSU is a team Duke will beat on November 9.

I agree with you. I'm not as convinced as a lot of NC State fans apparently are that this State team is going to be that good. They are replacing some key positions and QB remains a big question mark in my opinion. Plus they have an entirely new coaching staff and system. I could be wrong, I'm wrong a lot but I also think this is a game Duke can win.

Bob Green
07-16-2013, 07:03 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208687499&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke wide receiver Jamison Crowder was named to the 2013 Biletnikoff Pre-season Watch List, announced Tuesday by The Tallahassee Quarterback Club (TQC) Foundation, Inc.

Bob Green
07-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Foxsportscarolinas says 5th in the Coastal ahead of Pittsburgh and Virginia:

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/collegefootball/acc-conference/story/ACC-Coastal-preview-Virginia-Pittsburgh-?blockID=919941&feedID=3737

I love this statement:

I believe in Duke football!

mkline09
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Foxsportscarolinas says 5th in the Coastal ahead of Pittsburgh and Virginia:

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/collegefootball/acc-conference/story/ACC-Coastal-preview-Virginia-Pittsburgh-?blockID=919941&feedID=3737

I love this statement:

I think 5th is fair prediction. If the offense can be as good as I think it can be and the defense can be better than most feel it will be then I think they could go as high as 4th.

Bob Green
07-21-2013, 02:36 PM
...Duke football in her N&O Blog:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/top-10-most-important-players-for-2013-duke-football-no-4-laken-tomlinson

10. Jeremy Cash
9. Matt Skura
8. Will Monday
7. Ross Martin
6. Kenny Anunike
5. Brandon Connette
4. Laken Tomlinson

Bob Green
07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
3. Ross Cockrell
2. Kelby Brown

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/top-10-most-important-players-for-2013-duke-football-no-2-kelby-brown

I'm going to crawl way out on a limb and predict Anthony Boone is #1.

Mike Corey
07-23-2013, 02:10 PM
3. Ross Cockrell
2. Kelby Brown

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/top-10-most-important-players-for-2013-duke-football-no-2-kelby-brown

I'm going to crawl way out on a limb and predict Anthony Boone is #1.

I am extremely excited to see what Mr. Boone can do on the field.

I mean, how can you not be excited for this young man to take the reins (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/359054771975507968/photo/1).

loran16
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
I am extremely excited to see what Mr. Boone can do on the field.

I mean, how can you not be excited for this young man to take the reins (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/359054771975507968/photo/1).

The odd thing about these rankings is that two players who will be extremely important to Duke's hopes are left off the list (presumably) because they play the same position - Duncan and Snead, who will need to be huge this year.

Wonder if Boone would still be #1 had sirk not got injured.

Bob Green
07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
The odd thing about these rankings is that two players who will be extremely important to Duke's hopes are left off the list (presumably) because they play the same position - Duncan and Snead, who will need to be huge this year.

These type rankings are a lot of fun as discussion generators prior to practice starting, but they cannot be taken too serious. I agree with you on Duncan and Snead being extremely important. A case can be made for a laundry list of additional players (in no particular order):

1. Josh Snead - you have to have solid runners in an offense that intends to emphasize running the ball
2. Jela Duncan - the team needs multiple runners
3. Jamison Crowder - a deep threat who is capable of stretching the defense vertically
4. Braxton Deaver - a big talented TE with good hands who is capable of run blocking
5. Sydney Sarmiento - the middle of the defensive line is mighty important
6. Jamal Bruce - the middle of the defense is mighty important (didn't I just say that?)
7. Dave Harding - the offensive line consist of five important players
8. Perry Simmons - the offensive line consist of five important players
9. Takoby Cofield - the offensive line consist of five important players
10. Thomas Hennessy - a solid long snapper is vital

And I am certain we could easily come up with another 10 players to list. But as I stated earlier, these rankings are fun to discuss.

Bob Green
07-24-2013, 06:41 AM
No surprise:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/top-10-most-important-players-for-2013-duke-football-no-1-anthony-boone

Keeley justifies leaving Crowder, Snead and Duncan of the list by citing good depth at WR and RB.

Mike Corey
07-24-2013, 07:10 AM
I see you slept in this morning, Bob. Good for you.

Happy to see the weight of expectation being placed on our quarterback's shoulders. Excited to see how he handles it.

The expectations are very different now than they have been in years for a Blue Devil QB: The Bowl berth onus is off Duke's back. What a difference that might make, IMO.

Dev11
07-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Happy to see the weight of expectation being placed on our quarterback's shoulders. Excited to see how he handles it.

The expectations are very different now than they have been in years for a Blue Devil QB: The Bowl berth onus is off Duke's back. What a difference that might make, IMO.

Not to mention that Boone is taking over as Cut's third starting QB since he got to Duke, and this is Year 6. The other two are both in the NFL as of today.

Mike Corey
07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Very true, Dev. No reason to doubt Cut's percentage won't remain perfect.

In other preview news, the Sporting News taps two Blue Devils (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-17/all-acc%20?eadid=EL/SICOM#slide/20)with All-ACC pre-season distinction: Cockrell and Will Long.

Of Cockrell, SN writes:
A consensus preseason All-ACC selection, Ross Cockrell is one of the top cornerbacks in the country and is a legitimate candidate to win the Jim Thorpe Award. Yes, a Duke player can win it. He’s that gifted. He finished with 71 tackles, a sack, five interceptions and 13 pass breakups last season.

devildeac
07-24-2013, 08:51 AM

In other preview news, the Sporting News taps two Blue Devils (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-17/all-acc%20?eadid=EL/SICOM#slide/20)with All-ACC pre-season distinction: Cockrell and Will Long.

Of Cockrell, SN writes:

Sssh, don't let loran read this...

(;))

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Of Cockrell, SN writes:

If there is disappointment, it is that only Ross Cockrell and Will Monday were named.

dpslaw
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Actually, only Cockrell was named; Monday was mis-named.

Bob Green
07-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Supposedly, the early bird gets the worm. I've been getting up early all my life but I'm still looking for that worm. ;)

OldPhiKap
07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Supposedly, the early bird gets the worm. I've been getting up early all my life but I'm still looking for that worm. ;)

The early worm gets eaten. Sleep in, enjoy the morning.

Mike Corey
07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Actually, only Cockrell was named; Monday was mis-named.

Nice catch--Sporting News and I dropped the punt.

Mike Corey
07-24-2013, 01:11 PM
The early worm gets eaten. Sleep in, enjoy the morning.

We'll mourn the early worm once you've awoken.

But in the meantime, keep rise and shinin' so we can get the Duke football news before anyone else.

OldPhiKap
07-24-2013, 01:14 PM
We'll mourn the early worm once you've awoken.

But in the meantime, keep rise and shinin' so we can get the Duke football news before anyone else.

A wake when he's awoken?

Oh yeah, on topic -- Getting pumped for the upcoming season, hope we stay healthy.

Mike Corey
07-24-2013, 02:11 PM
We shall find him tomorrow a grave worm.

Anyway, did you see Clowney bait Tajh Boyd? He certainly bit his thumb at him.

OldPhiKap
07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
We shall find him tomorrow a grave worm.

Anyway, did you see Clowney bait Tajh Boyd? He certainly bit his thumb at him.

The Duke-Carolina rivalry is usually a mixture of distain but mutual respect of sorts.

Clemson-South Carolina is a nasty hate-fest of grudge. Add in Spurrier, and you have the perfect storm.

As someone who lives in the region, I get to see this up close and first hand. It is a truly ugly ugly ugly rivalry.

Bob Green
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
...the Tar Heels are #45:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/07/22/north-carolina-unc-college-football-countdown-2013-preview/2574773/

Why I'm skeptical: UNC's defense has holes throughout the front seven, especially in the middle, from tackle to inside linebacker; the schedule is very difficult in September and October, though it lessens dramatically during the second half; the offense needs to replace a bell-cow in the backfield; and the line will have some hiccups along the interior and at right tackle, though the group as a whole remains good enough to open up holes and keep Renner clean.

riverside6
07-31-2013, 08:51 AM
We just posted our Duke football preview over at my site (SCACCHoops.com), you can check it out here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Newsbreaker_External.asp?NB=8891 (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Newsbreaker_External.asp?NB=8891)

It may be a bit harsh on the defensive side, but at this point I need them to show me something. We're also running an ACC Fantasy Football game this year, you can find the links in the article.

mkline09
07-31-2013, 07:29 PM
We just posted our Duke football preview over at my site (SCACCHoops.com), you can check it out here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Newsbreaker_External.asp?NB=8891 (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Newsbreaker_External.asp?NB=8891)

It may be a bit harsh on the defensive side, but at this point I need them to show me something. We're also running an ACC Fantasy Football game this year, you can find the links in the article.

I have far more confidence in Duke's defense. They return guys who have played in 287 games and started 137. They have some experience and some talent. Sure there are some spots that they aren't as deep experience wise but I think they could be better than last year if they can stay healthy.

Bob Green
08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
It may be a bit harsh on the defensive side, but at this point I need them to show me something.
I'm with mkline09, the defense will be improved in 2013. Yes, we were horrible in 2012: #105 in Total Defense (469 yards per game) and #107 in Scoring Defense(36 points per game). The impact of a long list of injuries cannot be overstated.

In 2013, I see the following four factors as positives:

1) a healthy Kelby Brown and Jamal Bruce will shore up the center of the defense
2) Jeremy Cash added to Ross Cockrell gives us two playmakers in the secondary
3) we've made steady improvement pressuring the opponent's quarterback, which produces offensive mistakes - we've got a lot of pass rushing talent at DE
4) there are several talented youngsters who will see action, guys like Carlos Wray and AJ Wolf on the DL and DeVon Edwards at CB.

Linebacker is the position which really concerns me. Multiple players need to step up and be a playmaker at linebacker. I'm confident Kelby Brown will do it, but who will join him? C.J. France, David Helton and Kyler Brown saw plenty of action in 2012 and are now a year older with more experience in the system. Are they better? Duke's season could be riding on the answer.

Edit: Knowles Previews Duke Defense (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208895360&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

sagegrouse
08-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm with mkline09, the defense will be improved in 2013. Yes, we were horrible in 2012: #105 in Total Defense (469 yards per game) and #107 in Scoring Defense(36 points per game). The impact of a long list of injuries cannot be overstated.

In 2013, I see the following four factors as positives:

1) a healthy Kelby Brown and Jamal Bruce will shore up the center of the defense
2) Jeremy Cash added to Ross Cockrell gives us two playmakers in the secondary
3) we've made steady improvement pressuring the opponent's quarterback, which produces offensive mistakes - we've got a lot of pass rushing talent at DE
4) there are several talented youngsters who will see action, guys like Carlos Wray and AJ Wolf on the DL and DeVon Edwards at CB.

Linebacker is the position which really concerns me. Multiple players need to step up and be a playmaker at linebacker. I'm confident Kelby Brown will do it, but who will join him? C.J. France, David Helton and Kyler Brown saw plenty of action in 2012 and are now a year older with more experience in the system. Are they better? Duke's season could be riding on the answer.

Edit: Knowles Previews Duke Defense (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208895360&DB_OEM_ID=4200)

Not to be contrarian, but I believe the improvement in defense will be positively correlated with the improvement in the running game. If we push teams all over the field of offense like we did against Cincy, then I think the defense will measure up. If we can't establish the run, there is some potential for us to get worn down against ACC teams.

sagegrouse

riverside6
08-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Solid point above about the running game, its something I didn't consider. I do think Duke has the talent on the defensive side of the ball to make plays. Two questions that concern me, do they have the depth? Can they stop the run? Can they force any pressure with their front 4? I just don't think the answer to any of those 3 questions is yes this season.

For them to be successful, Jeremy Cash (I consider him a 3rd LB) and Kelby Brown have to be big this season. Duke simply can't rely on their defensive backs leading them in tackles again.

ForkFondler
08-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Not to be contrarian, but I believe the improvement in defense will be positively correlated with the improvement in the running game. If we push teams all over the field of offense like we did against Cincy, then I think the defense will measure up. If we can't establish the run, there is some potential for us to get worn down against ACC teams.

sagegrouse

I think the running game can easily offset the loss of Renfree. But it won't make up for the fact that we had to go for it on 4th-and-10 from the 50 last year because we knew it would only take the other team 30 seconds longer to score from the 10 than the 50 yard line. Even though last year's defense was [often] godawful, just a little improvement on defense will get us to another bowl game this year. Maybe we can do better than that -- which would be glorious.

Mike Corey
08-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Sports Illustrated was at Duke yesterday, snapping photos of Kenny Anunike in the library. His picture will appear in the upcoming college football season preview issue, though it's not clear whether the picture will just be part of a somewhat generic preview piece, or a more extended feature on the rise of Duke football.

Bob Green
08-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Roper Previews Evolving Duke Offense:

http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=208895560

Bob Green
08-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Q&A With Kenny Anunike:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=208903162&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Kenny describes the team as hungry.

Reilly
08-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for posting the KA interview. I liked this part:

GoDuke.com: What three words best describe Coach Cutcliffe?

KA: Charismatic, intense and winner.

I think the same three words describe KA. I've been impressed with his upbeat demeanor and charisma. Seems to have 1000-watt personality. Lifting Duke football out of the deep swamp took a lot of hard work and mental toughness and a can-do attitude in the face of skepticism, and KA is as representative of the good qualities as anyone.

Reilly
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM
...describes the team as hungry.

So let's eat.

My favorite Neil Everett quote is of him narrating some ho-hum mid-season NBA game and some player came sweeping in out of the picture to stuff in an offensive rebound -- flying high while everybody else was just standing around. Everett's voice got a rise to it as he near screamed: "cleaning up some table scraps!!" .... let's bring that mindset ...

Bob Green
08-03-2013, 08:34 AM
If anyone's optimism needs to be reined in, this Debbie Downer article will do the trick:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/2/4553664/duke-blue-devils-football-2013-preview-schedule-roster

...but the Blue Devils' late-season slide (they were 6-2 and finished 6-7) likely signaled that they would soon be going back into hiding for another 20 years.

Cutcliffe has done a solid job. He really has. If things break well, the Blue Devils could hold steady on offense, improve slightly on defense, pull off close wins against a Georgia Tech or Pittsburgh, and threaten to reach .500 again this year. But six wins is probably the most they can expect this year … and most years heading into the future.

Troublemaker
08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Here's College Football News' in-depth preview, which I haven't seen posted yet. http://cfn.scout.com/2/1306926.html They have separate pages for offense and defense (special teams included on the defense page).

devildeac
08-03-2013, 12:57 PM
If anyone's optimism needs to be reined in, this Debbie Downer article will do the trick:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/8/2/4553664/duke-blue-devils-football-2013-preview-schedule-roster

Not totally unrealistic but that sure would make nice locker room bulletin board material;). I'd be happy with 7-5 this year plus a bowl victory, of course. That would entail a defense that can give up less than 35 PPG and well under 450 YPG.

devildeac
08-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Nice little article about Nico Pierre from the Raleigh N&O today from Laura Keeley's blog with a summary of recruits so far for our next class:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/miami-qb-nico-pierre-commits-to-duke

uh_no
08-03-2013, 11:04 PM

"no big-play threats whatsoever outside of Jamison Crowder -- "

perhaps they missed a WR which broke some league records.....he might have caught a few long passes, if i recall

mkline09
08-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Had the great privilege of talking to several of the player yesterday prior to practice and have to say that all Duke fans should be immensely proud of the players they have representing the university they love. Very well spoken, well mannered, insightful and just really good guys. I hope everyone comes out and supports the team this season win or lose cause they really are great ambassadors about doing things the right way. And what more can I say that hasn't already been said about Cut?

loran16
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Eh, it's a well reasoned article - forgetting vernon could do long plays aside - making the same points I have in this thread.

mkline09
08-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Talked to Cut last night and he was pretty upbeat with where the team is though it is still early. Just a few minor ankle tweaks but a healthy group for the most part (knock on wood). Was pleased with the incoming freshman and sees a lot of competition out there. He is looking at a lot of combinations in the secondary and toying with some position changes though he didn't specify. Sounds like the new guys are coming in stronger, faster and with a better football IQ than before. Brighter days ahead for Duke Football.

http://dukereport.com/duke-football/cutcliffe-blue-devils-emptying-the-bucket-early-in-practice/mkline/

TruBlu
08-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Talked to Cut last night and he was pretty upbeat with where the team is though it is still early. Just a few minor ankle tweaks but a healthy group for the most part (knock on wood). Was pleased with the incoming freshman and sees a lot of competition out there. He is looking at a lot of combinations in the secondary and toying with some position changes though he didn't specify. Sounds like the new guys are coming in stronger, faster and with a better football IQ than before. Brighter days ahead for Duke Football.

http://dukereport.com/duke-football/cutcliffe-blue-devils-emptying-the-bucket-early-in-practice/mkline/

This is good to hear on sooooo many levels, especially the "lack of injury" report.

Thanks for the info.

Bob Green
08-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Fox Sports Carolinas (Lauren Brownlow) has a nice article on our offensive line and running backs:

http://www.foxsportscarolinas.com/collegefootball/acc-conference/story/Dukes-O-line-running-backs-should-mean-m?blockID=927575&feedID=3737

The theme is achieving offensive balance:

And when Duke could find offensive balance in a game -- which generally meant it wasn’t falling behind and having to keep throwing to make a comeback -- it found success.

The most yards per rush Duke averaged in a game last year was 5.1 against Virginia, and it was also -- perhaps not coincidentally -- the only game that this year’s quarterback Anthony Boone started.

Mike Corey
08-12-2013, 09:56 AM
In its soon-to-be-released college football season preview, Sports Illustrated is running a story on academically rigorous universities experiencing a football resurgence. Duke is among the featured schools.

More details can be identified in this blog post (http://blogs.library.duke.edu/rubenstein/2013/08/08/vesalius-and-football/)from Duke Libraries.

mkline09
08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Scrimmage today. Anthony Boone was 12-25 for 139 yards & 2 Ints. Connette was 14-21 for 152 yards & 1 TD while true freshman Parker Boehme was 8-9 for 84 yards & 1 TD. Not sure whether to be concerned from Boone's two picks or not since this was really the first scrimmage. Still think he will be fine. Really fascinated by Boehme ever since the spring game when he hadn't practiced at all and played reasonably well. But again this is all scrimmage, so take it for what it is worth.

Newton_14
08-13-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks for sharing the article Mike. Good stuff.

One of my favorite lines in the entire article is below. Just like our famed hoops coach, our Football coach knows how to adapt and change year over year, unlike another coach 8 miles up the road who has used the exact same practice plan for 17 dadgum years dadgummit

From Cut, speaking on how he runs his practice's:

“You just don’t let things be. We have a base that will never change. But I’ve been changing from year to year as long as I’ve been doing this. I’ve never been afraid to try things.”

Bob Green
08-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Here is an enjoyable article on Brandon Connette and the "Phantom" role he played last season:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/13/3105249/duke-football-brandon-connette.html

It sounds like B.C. will be locked into the back-up QB role at the beginning of the season until Parker Boehme is ready to go or more is known on the timeline for Thomas Sirk. However, this snippet is interesting:

Regardless of Connette’s situation, the phantom role will continue to be a part of the offense. Senior running back Juwan Thompson is practicing in that role, and sophomore running back Shaq Powell is taking reps there, too.

“I’ve been learning a lot more of the receiving position, especially that tight end position where I can split out a lot more and we can have both backs in sometimes,”

Olympic Fan
08-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Scrimmage today. Anthony Boone was 12-25 for 139 yards & 2 Ints. Connette was 14-21 for 152 yards & 1 TD while true freshman Parker Boehme was 8-9 for 84 yards & 1 TD. Not sure whether to be concerned from Boone's two picks or not since this was really the first scrimmage. Still think he will be fine. Really fascinated by Boehme ever since the spring game when he hadn't practiced at all and played reasonably well. But again this is all scrimmage, so take it for what it is worth.

It was an interesting scrimmage -- quite a few key players were held out, not because of injuries, but because Cut and his staff wanted to get a long look at the young guys.

Hard to tell a lot as an untrained observer, but I would suggest that in a year or two, Duke will be loaded in the secondary. Hard to believe how many good-looking young DBs were out there -- guys with decent size, good speed and quickness. It remains to be seen how much they will contribute this year, but out of the group of Devon Edwards, Everett Edwards, Chris Holmes, Corbin McCarthy, Breon Borders, Byron Fields, Michael Westray, Jake Kite, Deandre Singleton and Phillip Carter -- all freshmen or redshirt freshman -- we're going to have some good DBs in the coming years. That doesn't count Jared Boyd, still hurting, or sophs Jeremy Cash and Dwayne Norman, who sat out the scrimmage.

One of the best signs of the scrimmage was senior Anthony Young-Wiseman. He was once regarded as a great safety prospect, but he broke his leg almost as soon as he arrived at Duke and has been hobbled by other injuries ever since. He looked as healthy and as mobile Monday night as I've ever seen him. He could be a real plus for a young secondary.

Best pass rusher on the night was Allen Jackson. He missed last year with a shoulder injury (he might have redshirted anyway), but as a 6-5, 240 DE, he really gets in the backfield quickly. He had two sacks and a batted pass in the scrimmage.

I saw Thompson working in the Phantom role, but down the road, look for true freshman Quay Chambers. He worked at QB and slot and RB. He probably will be redshirted this year, but I think h's the heir apparent to Connette.

I've been assuming Nick Sink was going to be a blocking tight end, but he spent a lot of time split out and he made the best single catch of the scrimmage, pulling in a low throw from Boone and converting it into about a 35-yard gain. At 285, he's tough to tackle when he gets moving.

But for all that, the best player in saw during the scrimmage was Ryan Smith -- a 5-7, 165-pound freshman wide receiver. Wow, he is quick -- and unafraid to go over the middle. He's like a slightly smaller, slightly quicker version of Jamison Crowder. He's going to have an impact (he might also return punts).

I'm pretty pumped as you can tell.

Dev11
08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Here is an enjoyable article on Brandon Connette and the "Phantom" role he played last season:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/13/3105249/duke-football-brandon-connette.html

It sounds like B.C. will be locked into the back-up QB role at the beginning of the season until Parker Boehme is ready to go or more is known on the timeline for Thomas Sirk. However, this snippet is interesting:

I like this. Teams like Duke that have to run out with smaller guys need more advanced schemes to win big games. Having running backs who can go from the line of scrimmage or run the option and throw can be really useful.

roywhite
08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, kind of.

College football preview regional covers (http://college-football.si.com/2013/08/14/si-college-football-preview-covers/?sct=cf_t2_a1)

Haven't see the magazine yet, but apparently there is a feature on Kenny Anunike inside also.

"Rise of the Nerds" is certainly a positive development for Duke and for college football in general IMO.

Bob Green
08-17-2013, 07:02 AM
There are some good tidbits of information in the latest blog update from Laura Keeley:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/notes-from-duke-footballs-second-scrimmage

OlympicFan pointed out in a different thread that true freshman QB Quay Chambers is probably the heir apparent to Brandon Connette's "Phantom" role. What does Coach Cutcliffe say about Chambers who reeled off a 63 yard TD run in Duke's second scrimmage:

"Quay is just exceptional as an athlete,” head coach David Cutcliffe said. “The great part of having an athlete like that is you learn as a quarterback, and you have to know everybody’s assignment. At this point, Quay is probably proficient enough to play in the slot or to play our movable position that we play.”

The article is worth a read as Ms. Keeley provides insight on which players are looking like starters and which true freshmen are earning practice time with the starting unit.

mkline09
08-17-2013, 10:50 AM
There are some good tidbits of information in the latest blog update from Laura Keeley:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukenow/notes-from-duke-footballs-second-scrimmage

OlympicFan pointed out in a different thread that true freshman QB Quay Chambers is probably the heir apparent to Brandon Connette's "Phantom" role. What does Coach Cutcliffe say about Chambers who reeled off a 63 yard TD run in Duke's second scrimmage:

The article is worth a read as Ms. Keeley provides insight on which players are looking like starters and which true freshmen are earning practice time with the starting unit.

I think some real positive so far is that 1)( knocking on every piece of word furniture in my house) no more significant injuries so far and 2) some of the freshman are looking like they can contribute.

We all know Duke has been getting more talent in the program. It may not be as highly ranked or regarded as highly as some of the rival programs in the area but if the freshman can look to contribute right away that is a good sign for the depth, especially in the secondary with guys like Breon Borders. Duke needs some guys to step up in that area in a big way and while I haven't gotten to see Borders in action yet it sounds as if he is quite the athlete.

matt1
08-19-2013, 08:04 PM
ESPN posted an article discussing possible players who could come out of nowhere to win the Heisman and included Anthony Boone. It is great to see people talking about Duke football like this, but Heisman talk is ridiculous at this point.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/58540/who-will-come-out-of-nowhere-in-the-acc?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Could a moderator please fix Anthony Boone's name in my headline? Thank you!

Dev11
08-20-2013, 08:52 AM
ESPN posted an article discussing possible players who could come out of nowhere to win the Heisman and included Anthony Boone. It is great to see people talking about Duke football like this, but Heisman talk is ridiculous at this point.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/58540/who-will-come-out-of-nowhere-in-the-acc?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Could a moderator please fix Anthony Boone's name in my headline? Thank you!

Well, Boone does have the game that wins Heismans these days; he's a QB who can run and throw. I think to win it, though, Duke would need to win at least 8 games, and Boone would have to be the spark in upset victories against VT and/or Miami.

Still, one can dream.

OldPhiKap
08-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Well, Boone does have the game that wins Heismans these days; he's a QB who can run and throw. I think to win it, though, Duke would need to win at least 8 games, and Boone would have to be the spark in upset victories against VT and/or Miami.

Still, one can dream.

If need be, I will settle for Orange Bowl MVP.

Let's Go DUKE!!!!!

Sir Stealth
08-20-2013, 10:43 AM
There have been plenty of dicussions about having a more favorable schedule this year (no FSU and Clemson), but it hadn't dawned on me until now just how favorable the schedule is geographically this year. The road game at Memphis (still in a contiguous state) is more than twice as far as all the rest of the travel the team will have to do this year combined, with nothing else more than a 3 hour drive away. With the difficulty of balancing football with the rest of life at Duke, this can only help.

Dev11
08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
There have been plenty of dicussions about having a more favorable schedule this year (no FSU and Clemson), but it hadn't dawned on me until now just how favorable the schedule is geographically this year. The road game at Memphis (still in a contiguous state) is more than twice as far as all the rest of the travel the team will have to do this year combined, with nothing else more than a 3 hour drive away. With the difficulty of balancing football with the rest of life at Duke, this can only help.

More important than the near destinations are having early game times. Night games are the worst because the team comes back immediately after the game, no matter how far away it is.

matt1
08-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Still, one can dream.

I don't think a QB from an 8-win team has much of a shot at the Heisman, especially coming from a school with little football tradition. Although, RG3's Baylor team could not have had much more than 8 wins. Anyway, I think we would need at least 10 wins (given our weak schedule) with Boone being completely dominant.

On a side note, if we can upset Georgia Tech, we could very well start 7-0 going into our trip to Blacksburg. Would that be enough for a spot in the Top 25?

Dev11
08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't think a QB from an 8-win team has much of a shot at the Heisman, especially coming from a school with little football tradition. Although, RG3's Baylor team could not have had much more than 8 wins. Anyway, I think we would need at least 10 wins (given our weak schedule) with Boone being completely dominant.

On a side note, if we can upset Georgia Tech, we could very well start 7-0 going into our trip to Blacksburg. Would that be enough for a spot in the Top 25?

RG3's Baylor team went 9-3 in the regular season. If Boone were to win, he would follow Griffin's and Manziel's scripts: run a lot, pass a lot, smile big, and win a few more games than you're expected to, including one signature game.

Boone for Heisman!

Olympic Fan
08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
RG3's Baylor team went 9-3 in the regular season. If Boone were to win, he would follow Griffin's and Manziel's scripts: run a lot, pass a lot, smile big, and win a few more games than you're expected to, including one signature game.Boone for Heisman!

But what's the signature win?

Unlike a year ago, when Duke played (and lost to) three teams that finished in the AP top 10, Duke doesn't have a single team on the schedule this year that cracked the AP preseason top 25.

I guess Duke could face Clemson (No. 8 preseason) or FSU (No. 11 preseason) in the ACC title game, but that's in December ... awfully late to impact their Heisman race.

Honestly, I don't think it's reasonable to project Boone as a Heisman candidate this season. He's starting too far back and he doesn't have a chance to get a signature win. Now, what he could do is lay the groundwork to make a Heisman run next year ... of course, he'll have to be awfully good to make that a reality. I'm as optimistic as anybody on the board, but I'm not sure I think Boone is THAQT good.

roywhite
08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
But what's the signature win?

Unlike a year ago, when Duke played (and lost to) three teams that finished in the AP top 10, Duke doesn't have a single team on the schedule this year that cracked the AP preseason top 25.

I guess Duke could face Clemson (No. 8 preseason) or FSU (No. 11 preseason) in the ACC title game, but that's in December ... awfully late to impact their Heisman race.

Honestly, I don't think it's reasonable to project Boone as a Heisman candidate this season. He's starting too far back and he doesn't have a chance to get a signature win. Now, what he could do is lay the groundwork to make a Heisman run next year ... of course, he'll have to be awfully good to make that a reality. I'm as optimistic as anybody on the board, but I'm not sure I think Boone is THAQT good.

Yeah, Heisman talk is a bit much. Not to say that someone unexpected can't win the Heisman? What did we know of Johnny Manziel last year, or Cam Newton, Jason White, or Eric Crouch in previous years?

I'll settle for Boone being a very effective QB this season -- that should translate into good things for the team as a whole.