PDA

View Full Version : Practice has started at KU?

BD80
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Wiggins wows:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22464344/andrew-wiggins-wows-kansas-staff-in-first-workout

"Andrew Wiggins arrived at Kansas on Saturday and participated in his first practice Monday"

I would say he is ahead of the rest of his recruiting class

crimsonandblue
06-18-2013, 03:09 PM
This is one of two (2+?) weeks of Bill Self basketball camps. The players, alumni-players, and a big group of kids are all in town for the camp.

All of the players also are in town for summer school, working out every day, playing pickup, etc.

But, yeah, it's not "practice." Sure, it's not.

DU82
06-18-2013, 05:46 PM
This is one of two (2+?) weeks of Bill Self basketball camps. The players, alumni-players, and a big group of kids are all in town for the camp.

All of the players also are in town for summer school, working out every day, playing pickup, etc.

But, yeah, it's not "practice." Sure, it's not.

It is. New NCAA rule allows formal practice in the summer. My new niece, married to my nephew on Saturday, had to return to her D1 women's team to start practice early this morning. (She's the trainer.). She was talking about she has to be "mother" to the new freshmen, one of whom returned home after getting to the school so she could go to her prom.

There is no real off-season anymore.

Kedsy
06-18-2013, 10:28 PM
It is. New NCAA rule allows formal practice in the summer.

If this is true, why aren't all teams practicing right now?

uh_no
06-18-2013, 10:39 PM
If this is true, why aren't all teams practicing right now?

I would imagine you're allowed a certain number of days over the summer and can use them whenever you want (like football spring practice)....but really have no idea.....and given the complexity of most NCAA rules, i wouldn't be surprised if the schools had no idea either

DU82
06-19-2013, 07:27 AM
I would imagine you're allowed a certain number of days over the summer and can use them whenever you want (like football spring practice)....but really have no idea.....and given the complexity of most NCAA rules, i wouldn't be surprised if the schools had no idea either

I believe that's correct. I didn't ask more, since my niece had other things to do on Saturday. :-)

Fall practice also starts on October 1st instead of the 15th, with a set number of practices allowed. I don't believe it's six out of seven days, but a specific number allowed between 10/1 and the start of the season.

crimsonandblue
06-19-2013, 10:18 AM
I believe that's correct. I didn't ask more, since my niece had other things to do on Saturday. :-)

Fall practice also starts on October 1st instead of the 15th, with a set number of practices allowed. I don't believe it's six out of seven days, but a specific number allowed between 10/1 and the start of the season.

Right. It's the same number of fall practices as before, just spread out over more time, which may help guys recover, avoid injury, etc. Made sense to me.

I wasn't aware they had allowed for formal practice in the summer.

BD80
06-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Now referred to as a "camp scrimmage" here's a highlight of him getting wiggy:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22479698/video-andrew-wiggins-first-highlight-at-kansas