PDA

View Full Version : Question - Mainly for Chicks

Shammrog
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Earl and I are considering starting a band. Earl already plays the guitar; I play nothing, however, and will have to learn something. (Also - I cannot sing.)

Now, you can go with two guitars. I have been told anecdotally that women find playing an instrument very sexy.

So, my main question is which instrument do women find sexiest?

(If you are a guy, opine as to which instrument you think women find sexiest.)

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
"I've Seen 100 faces, and I've Rocked Them All!".....

Atlanta:

Montana:

-EarlJam

tombrady
08-24-2007, 11:54 AM
EJ -- random question -- whats your Duke connection? How'd you land on this board?

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 11:58 AM
EJ -- random question -- whats your Duke connection? How'd you land on this board?

Read my personal profile. Also, are you familiar with the "ignore" button?

-EarlJam

Shammrog
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Earljam is, in fact, Billy McCaffrey. Didn't you recognize him?!?

tombrady
08-24-2007, 12:03 PM

-EarlJam

Easy tiger, it wasn't an insult -- I was genuniely curious. As I am with most of the other posters here -- I think its a very diverse community, which is cool.

Bluedawg
08-24-2007, 12:10 PM

-EarlJam

What are you studying at Elon University and do you Wrestle for the WWE or TNA?

Bluedawg
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Why is the Guitar the instrument women find sexiest?

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/M/f/bush_guitar_playing.jpg

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Easy tiger, it wasn't an insult -- I was genuniely curious. As I am with most of the other posters here -- I think its a very diverse community, which is cool.

Agreed to a point. I got defensive (something I don't normally do).

Sent a PM to you.

-EarlJam

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
What are you studying at Elon University and do you Wrestle for the WWE or TNA?

I studied Business Communications at Elon and graduated in 1995. I wrestle for the WWE and for anyone who wants to watch privately (1-800-EARL-JAM).

To Tom Brady's question, I sent him a reply but I'll share the following:

1. Mom worked there 15 years and I got to know a lot of the faculty, students and got to go to a lot of the games. Not to mention I come from a modest background (financially speaking). My dad worked two jobs and I thank God Duke, through her employment, was able to help us financially the way they did, which leads to....

2. Duke paid for my college education. They have some program where if I attended any other private school in-state, they would pay for a large chunk of the tuition. Being the youngest of four kids, I could not have gone to college without Duke, and would probably be still working on a shipping dock (which I did for four years) today. "EarlJam used to work on the docks..."

3. Duke Hospital - They saved my dad's life. My dad was pronounced dead at Alamance County Hospital in 1986. They got a pulse, revived him and air-lifted him to Duke. He lived another eight years after that and we became much closer. In 1994, I spent almost the entire year caring for my dad as he slowly deteriorated and finally died in October. Duke hospital gave me eight years to get to know my dad better and for that, I am so grateful.

That experience with my dad throughout 1994 changed me (I think in a good way). For better or worse, I just tend to look at life differently.

I joke around a lot on the boards, but I can really be quite a serious person - sometimes too serious.

-EarlJam

DevilAlumna
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Sexiest musical instrument has to be piano, hands down. It's SOO versatile -- from jazz to classical to ragtime. Problem is, it's not so portable (and keyboards just aren't the same.) Upsides are - it's relatively easy to learn enough to sound good in a short amount of time, and it goes nicely with a guitar.

But, it's not in your poll, so I'll go with bass guitar. Bassists just hang back and groove, man. They have the appearance of being the shy quiet guys of the band; and that always draws the chicks in.

And EarlJam, Scorpios rule.

Dukerati
08-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I can vouch for what's NOT sexy -- the clarinet. I play that thing like a maestro and the ladies could care less:)

captmojo
08-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I think the ladies go for the guitar man.

I only play a mean stereo.:(

DukieInKansas
08-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I was going to say Saxophone, but piano is good also. If it has to be on the list, vocals would be my choice. There are some voices that could sing the telephone book to me and have me in a puddle at his feet.

TillyGalore
I can vouch for what's NOT sexy -- the clarinet. I play that thing like a maestro and the ladies could care less:)

The fingering on a clarinet is the same as on one of the saxophones, I think alto-sax. Bet you could find some ladies that'll find the sax sexy.

As for this "chick", being sung to is pretty darn sexy.

EarlJam

How to make the clarinet sexy.

Invite girl over. Let's say her name is, Melanie.

Play an original (or ripped off) but mellifluous tune on the clarinet. Tell her it's an original work you call, "Mellifluous Melody for Melanie."

Or, if her name is Susan, call it, "Sounds of Susan."

Or, if she goes by Tina, "Tina's Tune."

Also, oil yourself down and wear chaps while playing it.

-EarlJam

captmojo
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
It would take a lot of oil to get those chaps off of me.:D

Rich
08-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure 3 out of 8 is statistically signficant, but I'm no statistician.

hc5duke
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Also, oil yourself down and wear chaps while playing it.

I tried that, but my butt gets cold

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I tried that, but my butt gets cold

Great lyrics, thanks. Working on it:

Clarinet Cowboy (EarlJam, circa 2007)

Snowing outside, it was cold as ice;
I thought to myself, not once but twice.
Wind from the North, a brisk chill in the air;
Had to find warmth, but the question was where?

Goin' get hot but the question is how boy?
Maybe dress up, like a musical cowboy!
I'm not too shy, I'm not too old;
But I tried that once and my butt got cold!

But maybe this time, things could very well change;
A few of my clothes I will re-arrange.
Duke sweater on, on my dome a hair net;
Chaps on my legs, now to grab my clarinet.

Playing pipy tunes while I'm working the horse;
Feeling mighty warm as I negotiate my course.
Ah that's all right and I'm lookin' west;
This Clarinet Cowboy knows he's the best!

-EarlJam

g_olaf
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM
"I've Seen 100 faces, and I've Rocked Them All!".....

Atlanta:

Montana:

-EarlJam

But what tunes are you playing in these pictures? The montana picture looks like your playing fleetwood mac...

EarlJam
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
But what tunes are you playing in these pictures? The montana picture looks like your playing fleetwood mac...

Hence, "Ive seen 100 faces..."

In the first picture, I'm playing an original called, "Sweet Magnificant Butterflies of Love."

In the Montana picture, I'm singing a song called, "Arse in Chaps." Seriously, not joking.

-EarlJam

Windsor
08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
The fingering on a clarinet is the same as on one of the saxophones, I think alto-sax. Bet you could find some ladies that'll find the sax sexy.

As for this "chick", being sung to is pretty darn sexy.

I'll second that being sung to is pretty darn sexy...and as for an instrument, sax all the way.

"A song
played on a solo saxophone
A crazy sound, a lonely sound
A cry that tells us love goes on and on
played on a solo saxophone
It's telling me
to hold you tight
and dance like it's the last night of the world"

(yes, my guilty pleasure is broadway show tunes)

dukeforester
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree with Windsor, definitely the sax. But I'm a guy. My other half also really likes the sax, but never asked what she thought was the sexiest. Good question for this evening.

Indoor66
08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Sexiest musical instrument has to be piano, hands down. It's SOO versatile -- from jazz to classical to ragtime. Problem is, it's not so portable (and keyboards just aren't the same.) Upsides are - it's relatively easy to learn enough to sound good in a short amount of time, and it goes nicely with a guitar.

But, it's not in your poll, so I'll go with bass guitar. Bassists just hang back and groove, man. They have the appearance of being the shy quiet guys of the band; and that always draws the chicks in.

You got it, Alumna. The Piano Rules - for all - portable or not. Most stages/clubs and a big set of 88's available and they are boss.