PDA

View Full Version : Howard's Rock Vandalized

jimsumner
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
From Clemson press release.

"Howard’s Rock, the iconic fixture Clemson players rub prior to running down the hill during the football team’s entrance into Memorial Stadium, was vandalized sometime June 2nd or June 3rd. A small portion of The Rock was broken off of its pedestal after vandals broke the casing that protects the artifact.

“We take vandalism, especially of such an important part of our history, very seriously,” said Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich. “Police are investigating.”

There was no damage to the pedestal that supports the rock."

FYI.

OldPhiKap
06-12-2013, 09:58 PM
From Clemson press release.

"Howard’s Rock, the iconic fixture Clemson players rub prior to running down the hill during the football team’s entrance into Memorial Stadium, was vandalized sometime June 2nd or June 3rd. A small portion of The Rock was broken off of its pedestal after vandals broke the casing that protects the artifact.

“We take vandalism, especially of such an important part of our history, very seriously,” said Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich. “Police are investigating.”

There was no damage to the pedestal that supports the rock."

FYI.

The broken part is definitely NOT in Steve Spurrier's office. Nope. Not a chance. Don't even think it, certainly don't look there for it.

PSurprise
06-12-2013, 11:00 PM
You can probably find a number of pieces of it on eBay by now.

PDDuke85
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
The broken part is definitely NOT in Steve Spurrier's office. Nope. Not a chance. Don't even think it, certainly don't look there for it.

Howard's Rock collapsed under the weight of unrealistic expectations!

JasonEvans
06-13-2013, 12:23 PM
After what happened to the Auburn oak trees, I would think most schools would invest the $100 it would take to set up a web cam to watch their sports landmarks so they would be able to see if someone was trying to do damage to them.

By the way, the tree poisoner guy (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/06/10/auburn-university-toomers-corner-tree-poisoner-released-from-jail/2407839/) just got out of prison a couple days ago. And he has a new look (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/alabama-fan-harvey-updake-has-incredible-mustache/)!

--Jason "According to the pic below, the rock is definitely cracked... shameful" Evans
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMmA_nECYAAxE_I.jpg:large

Here is a Turtle
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
That's a shame. I instantly thought about when Johns Hopkins took our Testudo all the way back to Baltimore. You could imagine the riot that ensued from students trying to get it back. The president eventually just layered the statue (and all the future ones) with concrete. I think Virginia took it too, but I'm not sure.

Clemson would probably have to put a steel cage around it. Just to be safe.

jimsumner
06-28-2013, 02:57 PM
That's a shame. I instantly thought about when Johns Hopkins took our Testudo all the way back to Baltimore. You could imagine the riot that ensued from students trying to get it back. The president eventually just layered the statue (and all the future ones) with concrete. I think Virginia took it too, but I'm not sure.

Clemson would probably have to put a steel cage around it. Just to be safe.

Arrest made.

Portions of Clemson press release.

"Clemson University police have arrested Micah Rogers of Pisgah Forest, N.C., in connection with the case of vandalism to Howard's Rock, the iconic fixture Clemson football players rub prior to entering Memorial Stadium.

Rogers, 18, was charged with one felony: malicious injury to animals or personal property valued at more than $2,000, but less than $10,000; and one misdemeanor: trespassing, unlawful entry into enclosed places.

Howard's Rock was vandalized earlier this month. The protective casing was destroyed and a portion of the rock was chipped away.

Capt. Eric Hendricks said the vandalism occurred the night of June 2 and was captured partially by video surveillance cameras. The suspect also was identified by a witness.

The broken portion of the rock has not been recovered yet, and the investigation is ongoing.

Rogers appeared in Clemson University Municipal Court this morning and was released on personal recognizance bond of $5,470.

“On behalf of the athletic department and the football coaches and players, I want to thank the Clemson University Police Department, the State Law Enforcement Division and the Thirteenth Circuit Solicitor’s Office for acting in a swift, thorough manner with regards to the vandalism to Howard’s Rock,” said Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich. “We appreciate the efforts of everyone involved in this case.” "

ns7
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Arrest made.

I want to add that the accused is a Clemson fan, but has no official affiliation to the university.

That sound you hear is Dabo tearing up his avenge the rock speech for use against UGA, FSU, and South Carolina.

killerleft
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
I want to add that the accused is a Clemson fan, but has no official affiliation to the university.

That sound you hear is Dabo tearing up his avenge the rock speech for use against UGA, FSU, and South Carolina.

LOL. I guess the guy just wanted "A Piece of the Rock"! Now, he may get to break rocks for hours at a time, depending on the judge's affiliation.

follyblue
07-01-2013, 01:10 PM
IPTAY = I pulled that apart y'all.

Henderson
07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe Hayden Patrick ("Fats") Thomas asked him to score some rock to sell to UNC players, and the kid got confused.

alteran
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe Hayden Patrick ("Fats") Thomas asked him to score some rock to sell to UNC players, and the kid got confused.
He wouldn't SELL to the UNC players, silly. Players get parties and uhm... party supplies for free. Just like grades. Or parking. Or trips to Miami.

That's the Carolina Way.