PDA

View Full Version : Keep your friends close and your enemies closer: UK makes a bold move

g-money
06-11-2013, 06:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9366442/kentucky-wildcats-hire-rachel-newman-baker-former-ncaa-enforcement-official

I figured my fellow DBR readers could use a chuckle on a slow Tuesday afternoon/evening.

MarkD83
06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
The story mentioned that three other NCAA investigators left to take compliance officer positions at Md, Auburn and South Carolina......maybe one of them should take a job at UNC.

Henderson
06-11-2013, 07:33 PM
That's some serious stuff. The message: "You are a lowly NCAA investigator, making $40K per year. We might have an opening for you 2 years from now at $140K. We'll see how things go between now and then."

dyedwab
06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Pat Forde had an interesting column on this issue earlier this week, regarding the evisceration of the NCAA's investigative capacity, noting that some of its investigators to have essentially "switched sides" and are now joining compliance offices at athletic departments.

Key quote

The NCAA enforcement division – the most scrutinized, controversial and perhaps vital part of the entire organization – is in crisis mode. It is short-handed. It is suffering from an alarming brain drain and morale deficit. It has been beaten into a corner by the backfired Miami football investigation and subsequent fallout.

fuse
06-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Going from auditor to advisor can be a career path in certain industries.

I agree it is unethical and sleazy to go from investigating a particular school to working on the other side of the fence for that school.

I don't see anything particularly objectionable for a school to hire you as an expert in your field as a compliance guy- smart on the part of both parties.

For example, if you were the person in charge of investigating all SEC schools, going to work as an advisor at an ACC school should be no big deal. Going from investigating Miami to working at Miami to me would be a breach of ethics.

Dev11
06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
The story mentioned that three other NCAA investigators left to take compliance officer positions at Md, Auburn and South Carolina

Is Under Armour planning some coordinated breach of rules? That Kevin Planck always seemed like a dastardly fellow.

miramar
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
This is a chance for the NCAA to start with fresh faces and try to get things right for a change.

It's ironic that former VP of enforcement Julie Roe Lach would quote NCAA President Emmert that "Cheating will not be tolerated." Unfortunately, once the enforcers start cheating then they lose all credibility, so Emmert should be the first to go. Of course, with a $1.6 million salary, I don't expect his resignation any time soon.

I agree with this guy:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21727094/ncaa-guilty-of-lack-of-institutional-control-emmert-must-pay-with-his-job