PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NC Pro-AM: Update: No Duke Kids This Year :(

Newton_14
06-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Game on! We are 18 days from summer hoops guys and gals. Linky here (http://www.ncproam.com/) includes key dates. Please note the event moves to a new location this year. (Kind of sad about that actually. I loved going over to Central, and loved the announcer there). New location is Durham School Of The Arts on Duke St. This move is to counteract the NCAA's stupid rule from last season banning High School players from competing. High School guys can now compete again which is great.

If you are local and have never attended, I recommend checking it out. Admission is free to the public on first come first serve basis. Play starts June 25th. I will post rosters as soon as they become available.

-jk
06-06-2013, 07:50 PM
"Durham School of the Arts" used to be "Durham High School" (my parents' alma mater), with a rather storied hoops past.

Paging Ollie...

-jk

Indoor66
06-06-2013, 08:04 PM
"Durham School of the Arts" used to be "Durham High School" (my parents' alma mater), with a rather storied hoops past.

Paging Ollie...

-jk

Have they moved the School of the Arts from the old Watts Hospital site on Club Blvd to the Durham High campus on Duke Street? When did that happen?

I agree with the storied hoops past comment. The Loftis and Gantt brothers, Gordon Carver and Bones gave it quite a run. In the 70's Coach Dave Odem (later of East Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest and South Carolina fame) had a good run.

-jk
06-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Have they moved the School of the Arts from the old Watts Hospital site on Club Blvd to the Durham High campus on Duke Street? When did that happen?

I agree with the storied hoops past comment. The Loftis and Gantt brothers, Gordon Carver and Bones gave it quite a run. In the 70's Coach Dave Odem (later of East Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest and South Carolina fame) had a good run.

Old Watts (where my father was born - not Duke, where they "'sperimented on ya'") has been for 30-some years the NC School of S&M, a residential school affiliated with the unc system, focused on science and math. Old Durham High became an arts magnet high school a few years ago. They're not too far apart, but certainly not the same.

-jk

Newton_14
06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Old Watts (where my father was born - not Duke, where they "'sperimented on ya'") has been for 30-some years the NC School of S&M, a residential school affiliated with the unc system, focused on science and math. Old Durham High became an arts magnet high school a few years ago. They're not too far apart, but certainly not the same.

-jk

In the early 80's the Durham High gym hosted a killer Christmas tourney each season. I was never fortunate enough to play in it but me and several teammates would ride over each night to check out the games and the young ladies of Durham. :) One year Kinston (led by Charles Shackelford) came up and won it. Several great games that year. Speaking of the Dave Odom era, I used to work with a guy that played PG on one of the better teams. Dude could ball. We played pickup a lot after work. He always spoke highly of Odom.

It's a great place to watch hoops. Good size for a High School gym with a configuration similar to CIS though much smaller obviously. Still hate to see it leave Central. The NCAA rule on banning High Schoolers killed it though. It will be cool to see a few of the top high school recruits competing with a mix of college and NBA guys. Certainly can't hurt Duke recruiting either. (Or UNC or State for that matter) Nothing like having top guys come to your backyard.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Sorry, can someone further explain the rule change and why it is moving from Central? I'm not following.

Newton_14
06-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Sorry, can someone further explain the rule change and why it is moving from Central? I'm not following.

Sorry, did not mean to be vague. Up until last year, high school kids could play in the league. Then the NCAA stepped in and said they could not because the league was held on a D1 College Campus and thus was an unfair recruiting edge for the host school (Central). Which is ridiculous but whatever. Moving it to a High School campus gets around that rule.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Sorry, did not mean to be vague. Up until last year, high school kids could play in the league. Then the NCAA stepped in and said they could not because the league was held on a D1 College Campus and thus was an unfair recruiting edge for the host school (Central). Which is ridiculous but whatever. Moving it to a High School campus gets around that rule.
Thanks. Good thing the NCAA is on top of the important stuff.

Newton_14
06-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks. Good thing the NCAA is on top of the important stuff.

Yeah and as we all saw Central was raking in all of the top recruits until the NCAA stepped in and leveled the playing field for everyone else, like say, Kentucky and Kansas.

Guess Cal got tired of losing all those recruits to Central...

Son of Jarhead
06-06-2013, 10:12 PM
My oldest is a recent DSA grad and my youngest is in high school at DSA now, so I speak from experience that parking can sometimes be an issue at DSA. There is a lot in the middle of campus, off Duke, with about 100 spaces, another at the corner of Trinity & Duke, also with about 100 spaces, and another couple dozen spaces off Minerva (one-way street from Gregson to Duke, a block from Trinity). Off campus, there are some street-side parking spaces in the neigborhoods around DSA and in Downtown, as well as the lots at Brightleaf Square. Hope that is enough.

Great basketball to keep us from going through withdrawls during the off-season... and with lots of great places to eat near by, too. Should be fun! :cool:

billy
06-06-2013, 10:18 PM
It's a great place to watch hoops. Good size for a High School gym with a configuration similar to CIS though much smaller obviously.

I LOVE the gym - definite old school feel, beautiful. Photo of the gym from last season:

Newton_14
06-06-2013, 10:29 PM
My oldest is a recent DSA grad and my youngest is in high school at DSA now, so I speak from experience that parking can sometimes be an issue at DSA. There is a lot in the middle of campus, off Duke, with about 100 spaces, another at the corner of Trinity & Duke, also with about 100 spaces, and another couple dozen spaces off Minerva (one-way street from Gregson to Duke, a block from Trinity). Off campus, there are some street-side parking spaces in the neigborhoods around DSA and in Downtown, as well as the lots at Brightleaf Square. Hope that is enough.

Great basketball to keep us from going through withdrawls during the off-season... and with lots of great places to eat near by, too. Should be fun! :cool:

Attendance on average at Central was usually around 40%-60% capacity taken on the whole. For nights when there were big games between teams with heavy Duke, UNC, or State presence, it would fill up early and you were SOL if you did not get there by say 7pm. I went there three years ago on a night when Kyrie was playing in the 6pm game, and the 8pm game was a UNC kids vs State kids matchup. It was standing room only by 7pm and the fire marshall blocked all entrances. I left about 8:30 and there were hundreds of people stuck outside who could not get in. It just all depends on the matchups and how well the word gets out prior to game time.

It's fun. Some people dismiss it due to it being summer league but some of the games can get very competitive and very entertaining. Including on the defensive side. In fairness there are also games where no interior defense is played at all. Just depends. When the top college kids show up you generally get good, entertaining play. On most nights you will get at least 1-2 good games. The stinker nights usually occur when few top college kids/NBA guys show up.

Olympic Fan
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
For many, many years the old Durham High Gym -- now the school of the arts -- was one of the showplaces of North Carolina High school basketball.

It was modeled after Cameron, although much smaller -- bleachers on the lower levels and permanent seats up top.

I'm not sure of the exact date of construction, but it was after the Bones, Gantt, Carver, Loftis brothers group. It was where former Duke guard Brad Evans played. I recall watching Dave Odom figure out a way to shut down Phil Ford in a game there in the 1970s.

For most of the 50s, 60s and 70s (maybe into the 1980s) the gym was the host for the North Carolina 3-A Tournament (the state's second largest division). That's where I first saw Kenny Dennard play ... and a few years before that, Stu Yarbrough led Jordan High to a state championship there. I saw Dominique Wilkins lose there in his junior year (although they moved the 3-A title game to Carmichael in his senior year, when Washington won).

Great place to watch a game -- parking has always been a problem, although I admit I haven't been there in 20 years. I think there is plenty of parking a block over near the old Durham Athletic Park.

SupaDave
06-09-2013, 02:27 PM
For many, many years the old Durham High Gym -- now the school of the arts -- was one of the showplaces of North Carolina High school basketball.

It was modeled after Cameron, although much smaller -- bleachers on the lower levels and permanent seats up top.

Great info. And the engineering nerd in me would like to point out that the same architectural firm that built the Palestra was brought in to build Cameron Indoor. Pretty good "bloodlines" to have for the classic gym structure.

JNort
06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
The 25th had tryouts and play starts tomorrow!

thedukie
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Does anyone plan on going so that they can tell us how some players are looking? That would be nice!

cbarry
06-26-2013, 05:13 PM
I went to the NC Pro-am past year, and it was the highlight of my summer! Got to see some players up close, and talked briefly to Quinn, Amile, & Rodney. I'm confused, because the NC Pro-am used to be the Chavis League. Now this year, I just read the Chavis League is playing at Shaw University, and the NC Pro-am is at DSA. Chavis doesn't have a website, and NC Pro-am has limited info on this year's league.

I would love to go-- I just want to see some Duke players. Anyone know who will be playing?

Native
06-26-2013, 05:48 PM
I went to the NC Pro-am past year, and it was the highlight of my summer! Got to see some players up close, and talked briefly to Quinn, Amile, & Rodney. I'm confused, because the NC Pro-am used to be the Chavis League. Now this year, I just read the Chavis League is playing at Shaw University, and the NC Pro-am is at DSA. Chavis doesn't have a website, and NC Pro-am has limited info on this year's league.

I would love to go-- I just want to see some Duke players. Anyone know who will be playing?

It's weird - rosters aren't up on the website, though shouldn't they be with play starting tomorrow?

Olympic Fan
06-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Great info. And the engineering nerd in me would like to point out that the same architectural firm that built the Palestra was brought in to build Cameron Indoor. Pretty good "bloodlines" to have for the classic gym structure.

If you are really interested in engineering, you should know that The Palestra and Cameron were not designed by the same firm .... however, there is a strong connection.

The Palestra was designed by Charles Klauder, a famous architect who designed the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh and many other famous buildings in the Northeast. Now, when Klauder was 15 years old, he apprenticed under Horace Trumbauer, whose firm would later design Duke's West Campus, including Cameron. But Klauder designed The Palestra long after he left Trumbauer's employ.

A lot of myth surrounding the design of Cameron (or Duke Indoor Stadium as it was long known). Eddie Cameron is supposed to have sketched the design on the back of a matchbook. If so, he was clearly influenced by Kauder's Palestra design. In truth, the real architect was Julian Abele, a Trumbauer employee, and the first African-American architect in the United States. Abele had a lot to do with the design of the Duke campus, although where his work starts and other Trumbauer employee's work starts is hard to determine ... except when it comes to Cameron.

I'm certain that Cameron was inspired by The Palestra, but it was not done by the same firm.

sagegrouse
06-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm certain that Cameron was inspired by The Palestra, but it was not done by the same firm.

Having been to a number of games at the Palestra, the arena itself is almost identical to Cameron. -- sagegrouse

Newton_14
06-26-2013, 10:27 PM

See my reply to you in the other thread regarding Chavis and NC Pro_Am. Two, different, separate, unrelated leagues. NC Pro Am will be played this year at Durham School of Arts rather than NC Central

It's weird - rosters aren't up on the website, though shouldn't they be with play starting tomorrow?

I am hoping to know soon which Duke players will be participating. Will post that info as soon as I have it. The 3 freshmen have not arrived in Durham yet, and Rodney, and Rasheed are out of town playing USA Ball. So cross those 5 guys out until they arrive back in Durham. Marshall is recovering from surgery so he is out too.

That still leaves Cook, Murphy, Amile, Josh, Andre, and Tyler who I would suspect are on teams and would play at some point. The regular season runs through July so that allows time for all of our guys to at least play some games. Tourney is in August on a weekend. Mason has stated he will be in Durham for one week and would like to play at least one night while in town. Not sure yet about our other NBA guys but I would expect Nolan to show up at some point for a game or two and possibly Kyrie..

Will let the board know as soon as more details are available. I will definitely be attending some nights. Would love to catch a few games with fellow board members if possible.

Edit: Forgot to add that one good way to find out which Duke kids are playing on any given night is to follow their tweets on game days. They often will tweet that they are heading out to the Pro Am to play that night. It's one of the better ways to know on that day which guys are playing.

dragoneye776
06-26-2013, 11:05 PM
That still leaves Cook, Murphy, Amile, Josh, Andre, and Tyler who I would suspect are on teams and would play at some point. The regular season runs through July so that allows time for all of our guys to at least play some games. Tourney is in August on a weekend. Mason has stated he will be in Durham for one week and would like to play at least one night while in town. Not sure yet about our other NBA guys but I would expect Nolan to show up at some point for a game or two and possibly Kyrie..

I'm planning on being there and going to as many games as I can. The event is supposed to start tomorrow and neither the roster nor schedule has been posted yet. I can't wait to see Andre play again and if Amile is developing into the center for next year most of us think he's gonna become.

cbarry
06-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Here is the roster and list of games for tonight. For newbies to the NC Proam-- don't expect to see ALL of the players on the roster at the event EVERY night. Many will not be there- but you almost always see some good young talent. I am looking forward to it! *Note: This is the ONLY night they will play until July 9, due to the holiday next week. *

http://www.ncproam.com/Rosters2013.pdf

wk2109
06-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Here is the roster and list of games for tonight. For newbies to the NC Proam-- don't expect to see ALL of the players on the roster at the event EVERY night. Many will not be there- but you almost always see some good young talent. I am looking forward to it! *Note: This is the ONLY night they will play until July 9, due to the holiday next week. *

Thanks for the info. I noticed that Semi is not on a roster. Does anyone know if he'll be at Duke this summer?

MCFinARL
06-27-2013, 10:07 AM

I noticed that one team includes two pros named Mason Plumlee and Miles Plumblee. What a coincidence that their names are so similar, and yet not the same.....;)

Kedsy
06-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Jabari, Matt, Rasheed, Rodney, and Alex all on one team, along with four high school kids and two guys whose names I don't recognize. Except Rasheed and Rodney are on USA teams right now. Are Jabari and Matt in town yet? Alex could be in for a long night.

Also, it looks like Andre and a bunch of NC State guys are scheduled against Quinn and Nolan tonight.

JNort
06-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Jabari, Matt, Rasheed, Rodney, and Alex all on one team, along with four high school kids and two guys whose names I don't recognize. Except Rasheed and Rodney are on USA teams right now. Are Jabari and Matt in town yet? Alex could be in for a long night.

Also, it looks like Andre and a bunch of NC State guys are scheduled against Quinn and Nolan tonight.

Anyone gonna be at this game? Highlights and analysis would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Newton_14
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM

I think with the injury we might as well cancel any hope of seeing Rodney at the Pro Am. Given our recent Duke Curse of losing major guys to injury year in and year out, we might as well get used to seeing Rodney in the infamous Duke boot which totally sucks. Hoping for the best but recent history suggests preparing for the worst.

As for your question I believe most of the Freshman will be on campus by July 1st.

Acymetric
06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
I think with the injury we might as well cancel any hope of seeing Rodney at the Pro Am. Given our recent Duke Curse of losing major guys to injury year in and year out, we might as well get used to seeing Rodney in the infamous Duke boot which totally sucks. Hoping for the best but recent history suggests preparing for the worst.

As for your question I believe most of the Freshman will be on campus by July 1st.

Seems a little overly negative, doesn't it? Everything I've heard or read leads me to be optimistic that this is not a long term injury (although I certainly don't know that for a fact)...hoping to hear something definitive soon but in the meantime the doom and gloom attitude around here is a little over the top.

Newton_14
06-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Seems a little overly negative, doesn't it? Everything I've heard or read leads me to be optimistic that this is not a long term injury (although I certainly don't know that for a fact)...hoping to hear something definitive soon but in the meantime the doom and gloom attitude around here is a little over the top.

You are probably right Acy, but I am just sick to death of the injuries. The amount Duke has had since 2011 is just mind boggling and it is wearing on me. Throughout all the vigils I always hoped it would be quick recoveries but it never seemed to come to fruition. So I am definitely gun shy with Hood. I pray it is just a minor sprain or something and he is 100% healthy by Oct 15. Just scared he won't be. I honestly wish they would just put him on a plane right away and get him home to Duke for examination and whatever rehab is required.

COYS
06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
You are probably right Acy, but I am just sick to death of the injuries. The amount Duke has had since 2011 is just mind boggling and it is wearing on me. Throughout all the vigils I always hoped it would be quick recoveries but it never seemed to come to fruition. So I am definitely gun shy with Hood. I pray it is just a minor sprain or something and he is 100% healthy by Oct 15. Just scared he won't be. I honestly wish they would just put him on a plane right away and get him home to Duke for examination and whatever rehab is required.

I think your fear is warranted, too, considering that any severe achilles injury is perhaps one of the worst possibilities for Rodney. Medical science has improved, tremendously. Players routinely return from ACL tears to regain their old form, even if it takes a year. Achilles injuries, however, are often the kiss of death for athletes. For example, Elton Brand went from one of the best big men in the league with long arms, strength, and mobility, to a more or less stationary role player thanks to his achilles tear. An achilles injury for Rodney has me on edge not just because I worry about him and for Duke next season, but because I can't help but be concerned for Rodney's entire professional future.

Still, I agree, we should send nothing but positive vibes Rodney's way. Hopefully the results from the MRI will show that there's nothing to be concerned about. Still, achilles injuries are always a little extra scary.

cbarry
06-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I was there all night last night for the "soft open" of the NC Pro-am, and NO Duke players were there. :( In fact, hardly any Triangle hoops players were there at all. There were some impressive players, though:

Dominique Sutton: Played with Tulsa 66ers last year, and will be playing w/the Brooklyn Nets this summer. Guy can straight up play. Dominant.
Tyrece Little: Catawba College-- big strong guy w/good inside game and D. I would guess he dominates in his league. Would be a good D. I player.
Philemon Simmons--- No idea where this guy plays, but he was the most dominant player of the night. Great leaps and awesome shot. RANGE!
Justice Kithcart-- Riverside H.S. soph. PG with great handles. Bio says he want to go to UNC-- but would love to see him as Duke's future PG!

No games next week. League starts in earnest the week of July 9.

Anyone gonna be at this game? Highlights and analysis would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

magjayran
07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking about going tonight. I won't get there until 7 though so I hope it's not full. Has anyone heard anything about Duke players showing up tonight?

jimrowe0
07-09-2013, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen any confirmation from any Duke players yet on twitter.

magjayran
07-11-2013, 08:54 AM
I went Tuesday. No Duke players but I did check out some NCSU guys. I'm not one for rumors but I did see some tweets claiming the Duke guys won't be participating this year. Anyone else hearing this?

jimrowe0
07-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Adam Rowe tweeted that Duke participation this year would be very limited if at all.

cbarry
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Noooooooo!!! Say it ain't so! :mad:

Adam Rowe tweeted that Duke participation this year would be very limited if at all.

Newton_14
07-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Sad to report that multiple reliable sources have reported that Duke kids will not be participating this year. It stinks. No word on why. Really hate it. I always look forward to heading out there, and especially getting early looks at the incoming Freshman. So now we suffer the long wait til Countdown To Craziness to get that first look at the new guys, and seeing how returnee's have progressed.