PDA

View Full Version : Carolina About to Lose in NCAA Baseball Tournament?

matt1
06-03-2013, 11:41 PM
In a winner-take-all game in the Regional round of the NCAA Baseball Tournament, Florida Atlantic has taken UNC into extra innings. In fact, after a 6-run rally capped by a grand slam, FAU lead 8-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. Unfortunately, top-seeded UNC scored two to send it to extras. Should FAU win, it will only be the second time in history that the #1 overall seed has failed to make the Super Regionals.

If anyone thinks that this should be off topic, forgive me.

matt1
06-03-2013, 11:48 PM
1-2-3 innings for both teams in the 10th. We go to the 11th! Come on, FAU!!

matt1
06-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Carolina threatened in the 11th, but FAU held them off. On to the 12th!

matt1
06-04-2013, 12:10 AM
THREE RUN HOME RUN FLORIDA ATLANTIC!!!

Carolina down 11-8 in the 12th

matt1
06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
This is not looking good. Carolina already has one in with the bases loaded and nobody out.

FAU leads 11-9.

matt1
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Carolina has tied it at 11, but FAU threw out the winning run at home. Thus, we will go to the 13th.

matt1
06-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Carolina wins 12-11 in 13 innings.

I do like South Carolina to beat them in the Super Regional (best-of-three), though.

Steven43
06-04-2013, 08:51 AM
I always pull for Carolina to lose in all sports, particularly men's and women's basketball, with two exceptions--football and baseball. Of course, when they play Duke in those sports I pull for Duke, but when they play other schools I don't mind seeing Carolina win.

I think the reason is because Duke has not been particularly strong in those sports for many years, so it's difficult for me to have animosity towards UNC when someone other than Duke plays them in football or baseball, though I always pull for NC State to beat Carolina in football. I like it when State has a strong football team. Anyway, are there any other Duke fans who kind of pull for UNC when they are in the College World Series or is it just me?

weezie
06-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Anyway, are there any other Duke fans who kind of pull for UNC when they are in the College World Series or is it just me?

Not me. It's all yours Steve! :cool:

killerleft
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
I always pull for Carolina to lose in all sports, particularly men's and women's basketball, with two exceptions--football and baseball. Of course, when they play Duke in those sports I pull for Duke, but when they play other schools I don't mind seeing Carolina win.

I think the reason is because Duke has not been particularly strong in those sports for many years, so it's difficult for me to have animosity towards UNC when someone other than Duke plays them in football or baseball, though I always pull for NC State to beat Carolina in football. I like it when State has a strong football team. Anyway, are there any other Duke fans who kind of pull for UNC when they are in the College World Series or is it just me?

It's just hard to pull for cheaters (like I needed an excuse to hope they lose). I will admit the comeback was clutch. Did they cheat to acheive it?

matt1
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
It's just hard to pull for cheaters (like I needed an excuse to hope they lose). I will admit the comeback was clutch. Did they cheat to acheive it?

No, actually FAU was on the receiving end of a very questionable call when it was down 6-3 with 1 out in the top of the 9th. Although, I did not see the 13th; I only saw a play-by-play on my computer, because I was tired and thinking about going to bed.

Olympic Fan
06-04-2013, 01:44 PM
For years, I pulled for Carolina in everything, except when they were playing Duke and when a UNC victory would hurt Duke. I viewed them as partners in the doing-it-the-right-way brigade in the war against the scumbags in college sports.

Obviously, my view has changed -- not just by the revelations of blatant cheating, but the lengths UNC has gone to cover up the scandal. Notice how everyone caught cheating over there is dismissed WITH a large cash settlement and not required to talk to the NCAA. Even with Jim Tressel was fired at Ohio State, his settlement was dependent on his cooperation with the NCAA. Not at UNXC(overup). They keep investigating, but they never find anything except what others have discovered. They keep announcing the scandal over ... until Dan Kane or Yahoo Sports (in one case, it was a poster on an NC State message board that found McAdoo's plagiarism -- which UNC has investigated and missed. Their response "oops").

I guess it's clear that I no longer pull for UNC at any time in any place. As far as I'm concerned, they are the Auburn of the ACC.

burnspbesq
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Nope. Nothing wearing weak blue has any redeeming value whatsoever. I couldn't even bring myself to root for them against Maryland in the championship game in women's lax.

I live in Orange County; until Duke gets good in baseball, Cal State Fullerton is my team.

davekay1971
06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
For years, I pulled for Carolina in everything, except when they were playing Duke and when a UNC victory would hurt Duke. I viewed them as partners in the doing-it-the-right-way brigade in the war against the scumbags in college sports.

Obviously, my view has changed -- not just by the revelations of blatant cheating, but the lengths UNC has gone to cover up the scandal. Notice how everyone caught cheating over there is dismissed WITH a large cash settlement and not required to talk to the NCAA. Even with Jim Tressel was fired at Ohio State, his settlement was dependent on his cooperation with the NCAA. Not at UNXC(overup). They keep investigating, but they never find anything except what others have discovered. They keep announcing the scandal over ... until Dan Kane or Yahoo Sports (in one case, it was a poster on an NC State message board that found McAdoo's plagiarism -- which UNC has investigated and missed. Their response "oops").

I guess it's clear that I no longer pull for UNC at any time in any place. As far as I'm concerned, they are the Auburn of the ACC.

I tried to hit you with some sporks for this exceptional post, but I need to spread some love around.

At any rate, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. As much as I hate UNC in basketball, I always tended to be okay with their other sports doing well because, hey, they're a brother ACC school, and the university was an example of a place that could have high quality athletics and academics, with a relatively clean record of staying within the rules. I could have forgiven UNC the initial football scandals (although I would have had all kinds of fun picking on Parking-Ticket-Gate, Tutor-Gate, and even Plagiarism-Gate), if UNC had handled it openly, fired Butch, given a mea culpa to their fans, taken the NCAA's limp punishment, and cleaned up that program. However, their aggressive actions to hide the depth of the scandal, get involved parties out of the reach of the NCAA, and their lame whitewashing attempts, have convinced me that the University of North Carolina is a corrupt institution bankrupt of any integrity, that they've given up their integrity, honesty, and academic standards for athletic victory, and I therefore hope that all of their athletic teams lose. The kids on those teams don't deserve that (then again, most of the kids on their basketball team have never deserved to be hated), but the university, and their arrogant fans, deserve to have their teams lose every time they take the field.

Dev11
06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
I live in Orange County; until Duke gets good in baseball, Cal State Fullerton is my team.

A bit of confusion there about WHICH OC, as we are talking about UNC.

FerryFor50
06-04-2013, 06:09 PM
A bit of confusion there about WHICH OC, as we are talking about UNC.

Seeing as how he pulls for Fullerton I'd wager a guess it's the one in Cali. :)