PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill Retires

dcdevil2009
06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Just saw Grant Hill announce his retirement on TNT's pregame show. Best of luck to him going forward.

miramar
06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Despite the injuries, Grant has shown more class and perseverance than any other player I can think of.

I can't believe that the dunk on Kansas was 22 years ago. Tempus fugit.

NashvilleDevil
06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Will always be one of my favorite players to ever wear a Duke uniform. Best wishes to Grant and his family.

MCFinARL
06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Loved Calvin Hill, love Grant Hill. Pretty much everything I have ever heard/seen/read about him is terrific--a wonderful basketball player and a very high quality human being. Not the least of his virtues is that when my (Duke '08) daughter was in elementary school, she announced that she wanted to marry Grant Hill (though memory fails, I'm guessing this was probably Grant's junior or senior year at Duke). Granted, her alternative option was Allen Iverson, so her judgment was, shall we say, somewhat indiscriminate, but still.

moonpie23
06-01-2013, 09:46 PM
love me some grant hill......what a great ambassador for Duke and basketball.

Class of '94
06-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Grant was a great, great player. I loved watching him at Duke and enjoyed following his NBA career. IMO, prior to the mis-diagnosed ankle injuries, he was Lebron James before Lebron. I remember NBA analysts in mid and late 90s calling Grant a hybrid of Magic and Michael. He was awesome in his Detroit years; and you have to wonder what might have been had he gone to Duke sooner for a re-evaluation of the cause of his ankle issues, or simply would've shut himself down towards the end of his final season in Detroit which might have avoided breaking his ankle for the first time.

That being said, you can see how skilled a player as well as how great an athlete he really was when you consider how effective he was a player and an athlete after coming back from the multiple ankle injuries and being past his prime.

It's kind of weird hearing a person you graduated from Duke with announce his retirement (in anything); but I know he will transition successfully into new opportunities and I too wish Grant and his family all the best.

nmduke2001
06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm going to miss Grant. Great player and an even better person.

OldPhiKap
06-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Best of luck with all future endeavors!

luburch
06-02-2013, 12:45 AM
So does Grant get in the Hall of Fame? Keep in mind the basketball HOF is across all levels.

JasonEvans
06-02-2013, 01:00 AM
So does Grant get in the Hall of Fame? Keep in mind the basketball HOF is across all levels.

I think yes. His on court pro achievements put him in the conversation and when you add in his college career and his off the court sportsmanship (he won the NBA's Sportsman/Gentleman of the year away something like 4 times), that puts him over the top.

-Jason "would love to hear OlyFan weigh in on this... and maybe Jumbo!" Evans

brevity
06-02-2013, 01:21 AM
This is huge news. End of an era. (This thread should be a sticky.)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9126119/nba-grant-hill-own-words

Loved Calvin Hill, love Grant Hill.

You know, Grant's firstborn daughter would be entering college in about 7 years... no pressure, though.

Son of Jarhead
06-02-2013, 01:23 AM
Congrats on a great playing career, Grant. And best of luck in the next chapter of you career. One of the all time best humans to ever walk the planet, and a damn fine ball player too. HOF for certain.

BTW, you really classed up the place on TNT tonight. Finally, somebody to put Kenny in his place.

Best wishes always.

-Busch

p.s. Duke's "Czar of Housing", who retired after your junior year at Duke, says "Hi!" and echoes the sentiments above.:)

Indoor66
06-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Congratulations to #33. A great career, a great man, a great citizen. I am proud he came out of the Duke program. You can watch his announcement here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8pchgwc8I.

BobbyFan
06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Hard to believe that 21 years after the 92 title, the last active NBA* link from that team has finally retired. The best and most talented player I've seen in a Duke uniform.

Here's a youtube video of his highlights, primarily from his days as a Piston - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEeYFH-qlvk. His first step was just ridiculous.

* I mention NBA because I'm not sure if Parks is still continuing his career revitalization in France.

Duke71
06-02-2013, 02:28 PM
The man has always exuded class in all of his choices throughout his storied career...even the suit and tie that he chose to wear and how it draped on his still highly athletic 40 year old frame on the TNT pre-NBA playoff game TV stage when he revealed his retirement announcement yesterday exuded class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8pchgwc8I

Among my many, many favorite memories of GH was the eloquent open letter he wrote to the New York Times in response to being publicly referred to as an "Uncle Tom", a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., and worse in Jalen Rose's documentary about the "Fab 5" a few years back. Again, pure class in how Grant expressed himself and his point of view. Knowing that Duke attracts and graduates people like him, makes me feel proud to have received my diploma from the same campus as Grant Hill. He represents what is possible if you don't hang your class on the back of the doorknob when you enter a room.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/

g-money
06-03-2013, 02:15 AM
The highlight of my basketball career was throwing an alley-oop to GH in a pickup game in Card gym back in the early 90's. For me it was one of the defining experiences of my time at Duke. (It also inspired my DBR id.)

In a way I wished Grant would go on playing forever, because as long as he was still playing, it meant I could still feel like a college kid at heart. Alas.

Best of luck to you Grant in all of your future endeavors. I'm sure no matter what you choose to do next - TV, coaching, managing, private sector, politics?? - you'll do well.

cspan37421
06-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Grant Hill may be the finest ambassador for Duke basketball we've ever seen, or are likely to see.

Never underestimate the role of injuries - and thus bad luck - in affecting the arc of a player's career. Of course, talent and hard work get you in the game, but luck plays a significant role in keeping you in the game. Grant persisted through some very tough times. Did he not also have to overcome a very serious staph infection following one of his surgeries? I didn't see that mentioned on EPSN, but that can be life-threatening, not just career-threatening like the ankle injury. The guy overcame a great deal to put together a long, productive NBA career, several years of which were truly great.

Sure wish he could have nabbed ring #3 in college, though. I seem to recall that before the Ark game that he joked that he wanted to be able to say to Christian, "You've only got two of those?"

Tripping William
06-03-2013, 03:30 PM
And that would be a switch, because usually I am showing my age, but Grant Hill is the best all-around college basketball player I have ever seen play in person. I say that after considerable thought, but without hestitation (even with Tim Duncan as my #2).

Mike Corey
06-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Grant Hill's retirement is an excellent excuse to count our blessings as Duke fans. Most fans will spend a lifetime and never encounter a model citizen-athlete; we've been fortunate to have quite a few. But none more so than Grant Hill.

(1) NBA: 17,137 points; 4,252 assists; 6,169 rebounds, making him one of just 17 players to reach all three plateaus. Of the 12 eligible for the HOF, all 12 are enshrined. The others? Koby Bryant; Kevin Garnett; Paul Pierce; Jason Kidd. Also, 7 All-Star games, highlighted by an absurd '99-'00 season during which he averaged 25.8 ppg, 5.2 apg and 6.6 rpg. Also of note: Grant Hill averaged at least 20 ppg, 5 apg and 5 rpg in their first six seasons. The only others to have done so? Lebron. Jordan. Bird. Jerry West. Oscar Robertson.

Grant Hill will be in the Hall of Fame.

(2) College: 1,924 points, 461 assists, 769 rebounds. NDPOY, ACC POY, 1st-team All American, and two-time NCAA All-Tourney team. 2 titles, 3 final fours.

(3) Collector (http://www.granthill.com/ghc/)of African-American art.

(4) Interlocutor against ignorance: about race (http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/); about sexuality (http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/grant-hill-jared-dudley-anti-homophobia-psa/).

(5) Talented pianist (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/the-great-grant-hill/12510438/).

(6) A great father and husband (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-2e8oYnbJA).

(7) A great salesperson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG742vuahYo

And on and on and on.

~

In October 1993, Grant was featured by N.Y. Times columnist William Rhoden. The story was about Hill's expected leadership role on the '93-'94 squad. He was embracing the challenge. But Hill also discussed how this was about more than basketball; how this was also an opportunity to use his position to do some good.

"For me, the reason for playing has got to be bigger than just making money and taking care of your own family," Hill said. "It's got be taking care of your own kind. That's something we had, I think it's something we lost."

Thanks to Grant Hill, we all gained a lot.

And he's just getting started with the next chapters in his life. I can hardly wait to see what he does.

[Edited to add that Grant Hill was the first-ever rookie to lead the balloting for the NBA All-Star game. He edged Shaq as the top vote-getter. This is indicative of not only Hill's talent, but how embraced he was by the public.]

luburch
06-05-2013, 10:28 PM
In the most recent issue of SI, they asked four writers if Grant had done enough to be inducted into the HOF, two said yes, two said no.

subzero02
06-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Grant Hill will be a hall of famer...

throatybeard
06-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Am I wrong about this? I think Grant was never the oldest man in the NBA, because Kurt Thomas edged him by a day. No offense to Thomas, but I hoped he would bow out a year early.

brevity
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Am I wrong about this? I think Grant was never the oldest man in the NBA, because Kurt Thomas edged him by a day. No offense to Thomas, but I hoped he would bow out a year early.

Fortunately, you are wrong. Kurt Thomas was waived by the Knicks on April 12 (and had last played for them March 18). Grant Hill was the oldest active player in the NBA until his season ended May 3, or until his June 1 retirement, depending on your definition of "active."

Class of '94
06-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Fortunately, you are wrong. Kurt Thomas was waived by the Knicks on April 12 (and had last played for them March 18). Grant Hill was the oldest active player in the NBA until his season ended May 3, or until his June 1 retirement, depending on your definition of "active."

I guess Juwan Howard now takes over that role as the oldest active player with Kidd and Grant retired. It really makes me appreciated and respect Grant's decision to retire. He could've at worst sit on the bench and be a mentor to the younger players (similar to what Juwan is doing with the Heat) and collect a paycheck. While I would have preferred to see him play again next season (I personally think he's still talented enough to be in the rotation and played consistent minutes off the bench), Grant's the kind of player and man that would rather retire than sit on the bench (and collect a paycheck) for another season if he wasn't given the opportunity to play.

Tom B.
06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I guess Juwan Howard now takes over that role as the oldest active player with Kidd and Grant retired. It really makes me appreciated and respect Grant's decision to retire. He could've at worst sit on the bench and be a mentor to the younger players (similar to what Juwan is doing with the Heat) and collect a paycheck. While I would have preferred to see him play again next season (I personally think he's still talented enough to be in the rotation and played consistent minutes off the bench), Grant's the kind of player and man that would rather retire than sit on the bench (and collect a paycheck) for another season if he wasn't given the opportunity to play.

With Grant and Kidd retiring, I think Juwan Howard is also the last remaining player from the 1994 draft who's still active in the NBA.

Indoor66
06-08-2013, 02:07 PM
With Grant and Kidd retiring, I think Juwan Howard is also the last remaining player from the 1994 draft who's still active in the NBA.

"Active" might be a bit of a stretch. :cool:

Tom B.
06-08-2013, 02:21 PM
"Active" might be a bit of a stretch. :cool:

Heh. How about "still occupying an NBA roster spot?"

Jarhead
06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Heh. How about "still occupying an NBA roster spot?"

How about still drawing a pay check?

JBDuke
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
A recent piece on Grant's retirement appeared in the local newspaper in Northern Virginia. Nothing really new here, but some great perspective from Grant, and some hints at what his future might hold:

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130628/SPORTS/130629218/1267/grant-hill-pursues-life-beyond-basketball&template=fairfaxTimes

throatybeard
07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm almost 37 and I want to lie down.

JBDuke
11-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Not much new here, but this article on Grant's move into a second career was the in the Washington Post yesterday, and I hadn't seen it linked: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/hill-moves-on-from-fulfilling-career/2013/11/15/85844252-496a-11e3-b87a-e66bd9ff3537_story.html

There's a bit more info in the Q&A that was edited down for the article that ran in the print edition. The Q&A is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/11/17/grant-hill-it-was-time-to-move-on/?l

I don't get NBATV, so I haven't seen the new "Inside Stuff" that Grant is co-anchoring. I also haven't seen him working with the Turner guys on NBA broadcasts, but I'm not watching much NBA yet. Anybody have any Grant sightings?

CameronBornAndBred
04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Tons of "Grant Hill" threads to choose from to post this in, but this seems as good as any.

20 years ago today, Grant Hill played his last game in a Duke uniform.

nmduke2001
04-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Tons of "Grant Hill" threads to choose from to post this in, but this seems as good as any.

If only Tony Lang's finger was half an inch longer.....

gus
04-04-2014, 12:48 PM
If only Tony Lang's finger was half an inch longer.....

Not even sure half an inch is what he needed. If he hadn't clipped his finger nails that morning...

cato
04-04-2014, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder -- I think. That was also the day I got the big envelope from Duke admissions. Talk about an up and down day.

I thought the 1994 loss was very hard at the time, but in retrospect, I'd put it behind 1998, 1999 (my personal least favorite) and 2004.

jv001
04-04-2014, 02:07 PM
A recent piece on Grant's retirement appeared in the local newspaper in Northern Virginia. Nothing really new here, but some great perspective from Grant, and some hints at what his future might hold:

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130628/SPORTS/130629218/1267/grant-hill-pursues-life-beyond-basketball&template=fairfaxTimes

Thank you for the link/article. What a wonderful representative for Duke Basketball. After reading this article, Grant Hill just moved to the top of my favorite Blue Devils. He was already number two behind Christian Laettner. The part of the article that caught my eye was from his high school coach. He said Grant left his bag in his office so the coach could put Grant's recruitment letters in it. Grant didn't want to make his teammates jealous. I agree with his coach you don't see that humility in most of today's players coming out of high school. I wish Grant Hill the best in life and I'm sure we'll see more success from this great Duke Blue Devil. GoGrant and GoDuke!

BobbyFan
04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
In the most recent issue of SI, they asked four writers if Grant had done enough to be inducted into the HOF, two said yes, two said no.

Grant is getting in the HOF. It won't be first ballot, but it will happen. His college career will help, as will the fact that he's well respected.

The bar for the basketball HOF is lower than that of other sports. Heck, the news has come out that Mitch Richmond, whose prime wasn't near Hill's and even when accounting for Hill's injuries, still didn't have as good an overall career, is getting in.

royalblue
04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
I should read the article before posting but I have said for the last 20 years that if Duke had won it in 94 Hill would have had a great argument for best Devil ever. He carried Duke on his shoulders that year and put a muzzle on the Big Dog in Knoxville during the elite 8. True Bliss thinking about a healthy Hill in a Duke uni during that 94 tourney run.

Class of '94
04-04-2014, 09:13 PM
I should read the article before posting but I have said for the last 20 years that if Duke had won it in 94 Hill would have had a great argument for best Devil ever. He carried Duke on his shoulders that year and put a muzzle on the Big Dog in Knoxville during the elite 8. True Bliss thinking about a healthy Hill in a Duke uni during that 94 tourney run.

I agree with you although I'm probably biased since I witnessed Grant's greatness firsthand by being a student at Duke at the same time as Grant. The fact that the 94 team won the ACC regular season and made it to the NCAA championship game is a testament to how great a player and leader was his senior year. I truly believed Grant could've at least averaged 25 pts per game imo if he wanted to; but he sacrificed his offense for the good of the team and was basically a superstar utility player for that team; he did whatever that team needed to have to win games. He was a defensive stopper, rebounder, scorer when needed; and was basically the PG for the team while playing at the 3. He took his game to another level to help Duke get past Florida in the semi-final game; and I think part of the reason Duke lost was Grant was at least somewhat fatigued in the championship against Arkansas after releasing so much energy in the semi-final game. That 94 team may be an under-rated team because they didn't win the championship; but it was one of Duke's best defensive teams and they had great leadership in tri-captains Grant, Marty Clark and Tony Lang.

sagegrouse
04-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree with you although I'm probably biased since I witnessed Grant's greatness firsthand by being a student at Duke at the same time as Grant. The fact that the 94 team won the ACC regular season and made it to the NCAA championship game is a testament to how great a player and leader was his senior year. I truly believed Grant could've at least averaged 25 pts per game imo if he wanted to; but he sacrificed his offense for the good of the team and was basically a superstar utility player for that team; he did whatever that team needed to have to win games. He was a defensive stopper, rebounder, scorer when needed; and was basically the PG for the team while playing at the 3. He took his game to another level to help Duke get past Florida in the semi-final game; and I think part of the reason Duke lost was Grant was at least somewhat fatigued in the championship against Arkansas after releasing so much energy in the semi-final game. That 94 team may be an under-rated team because they didn't win the championship; but it was one of Duke's best defensive teams and they had great leadership in tri-captains Grant, Marty Clark and Tony Lang.

Ten point lead with seven minutes left.

Tie game and shutdown defense with a few seconds left, until a fumbled ball led Lang to divert his attention for 1/10 second from Scotty Thurman.

Tired, shmired -- we shoulda won the game!!!!

Des Esseintes
04-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the link/article. What a wonderful representative for Duke Basketball. After reading this article, Grant Hill just moved to the top of my favorite Blue Devils. He was already number two behind Christian Laettner. The part of the article that caught my eye was from his high school coach. He said Grant left his bag in his office so the coach could put Grant's recruitment letters in it. Grant didn't want to make his teammates jealous. I agree with his coach you don't see that humility in most of today's players coming out of high school. I wish Grant Hill the best in life and I'm sure we'll see more success from this great Duke Blue Devil. GoGrant and GoDuke!

Time period has little to do with it. Grant's humility was as special and rare at the time as it would be today.

Class of '94
04-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Ten point lead with seven minutes left.

Tie game and shutdown defense with a few seconds left, until a fumbled ball led Lang to divert his attention for 1/10 second from Scotty Thurman.

Tired, shmired -- we shoulda won the game!!!!

I hear you my friend. My friends and I at the time thought Duke was going to pull it out and get a 3rd national championship in 4 years. We were talking about how we could be the class that came to Duke as freshmen with the team winning the first NC for the school, and possibly graduating with Duke winning a NC for the school (to add to the NC the team won when we were in our 2nd year at Duke); but it wasn't meant to be.

I seem to remember that the team (Duke) made some untimely turnovers that hurt us as well. I think both Chris Collins and Jeff Capel made some bad turnovers in that game; and I thought Grant did as well (which I believe were more fatigue related). That being said and as you pointed out, we certainly had our chances to win that game.

royalblue
04-05-2014, 04:35 AM
The only reason that the 94 final is not a real candidate for most painful Duke loss is that Hill took that team on a deep run for the ages. IMO no other player in Duke history could have led and run that team any better than Grant Hill did that year.
That game could have been the cherry on top for 7 of 9 FF's and is one of a group of final games that could have really changed how we look at dominant runs.
A few that come to mind in the last 40 years
UCLA 74 Walton could have won all 3 of his chances and had the greatest argument for college GOAT
Georgetown so close in 82 and 85 would have been 3 of 4 and made the argument for Ewing
Duke 94 Hill's finish and could have been a few good years of Cameron chants of K's got 3 Deans got 2
UK 97 very very close to 3 in a row.
Writing this down may have moved it right along side 99 and 04 for feeling the pain

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't mind the '94 loss. I didn't expect a deep run at all that year, and with each game simply became more excited and loved the moment, much like our year in 2010. Once we get to the final game, unless we get blown out (damn you, UNLV!), I don't even feel bad about those. At that point, we've done what only one other team in the country has been able to do. Win or lose, it will still be the last game.
So for us to play so close in a game I didn't expect to see us in, I woke up still happy the next morning. And Grant Hill was still a champion, twice over.

Class of '94
04-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't mind the '94 loss. I didn't expect a deep run at all that year, and with each game simply became more excited and loved the moment, much like our year in 2010. Once we get to the final game, unless we get blown out (damn you, UNLV!), I don't even feel bad about those. At that point, we've done what only one other team in the country has been able to do. Win or lose, it will still be the last game.
So for us to play so close in a game I didn't expect to see us in, I woke up still happy the next morning. And Grant Hill was still a champion, twice over.

I know a lot of people think of Christian and Shane as being all-time great leaders and captains at Duke; but I'm not sure Grant gets enough credit nowadays as having been a great leader and captain at Duke. He should imo be right up their alongside Christian, Bobby, Shane and the other all-time great leaders in Duke basketball history under K for what he did in 94. I remember reading an article in the Chronicle at the end of the 94 season in which the writer (I can't remember who after this many years) made the same claim that Grant was a great leader and should go down in Duke history as being one of the greatest captains ever in Duke men's basketball program. know these are bold statements considering all the great leaders Duke has had; but if you were around to witness that 93-94 season like I was and saw firsthand what Grant did for that time, both as a leader and a player, I think one would agree as well. That team certainly had flaws but Grant, with the help of Tony and Marty, covered all of the flaws up.

Rich
04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I hear you my friend. My friends and I at the time thought Duke was going to pull it out and get a 3rd national championship in 4 years. We were talking about how we could be the class that came to Duke as freshmen with the team winning the first NC for the school, and possibly graduating with Duke winning a NC for the school (to add to the NC the team won when we were in our 2nd year at Duke); but it wasn't meant to be.

I seem to remember that the team (Duke) made some untimely turnovers that hurt us as well. I think both Chris Collins and Jeff Capel made some bad turnovers in that game; and I thought Grant did as well (which I believe were more fatigue related). That being said and as you pointed out, we certainly had our chances to win that game.

I also wish that Grant took the last shot. If I remember correctly, we had time to get him the ball when Chris Collins jacked up a long three. It was Grant's game to win or lose.

Dukeford
04-05-2014, 09:22 PM
and I think part of the reason Duke lost was Grant was at least somewhat fatigued in the championship against Arkansas after releasing so much energy in the semi-final game.

If I recall correctly, Grant also took a hard fall early in the championship game.
He was under the basket and got pushed while in the air, and landed hard an his tailbone. For a couple of moments I thought he might be out for the game. But he managed to shake it off.
Does anyone else recall that?

BobbyFan
04-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Grant actually had 9 turnovers. I agree some of it was fatigue. He landed on and hurt his back early in the game, and although he came back in, I've always wondered if that affected him. K also had him defend Corliss Williamson on occasion during the game (and he fared pretty well, IIRC, although I have no intention of confirming that by ever watching the game again), in addition to all his other responsibilities. Basically, whatever weakness the 94 team had in a particular game, Grant was expected to fill the hole. And he did because he was that dynamic.