PDA

View Full Version : Coach K's early take on 2013-14 team

roywhite
05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Duke's Jefferson 'eating up' to prep for post duty
(http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1592164062/Dukes-Jefferson-eating-up-to-prep-for-post-duty)

**note, link posted also in poll for Center thread

“We’re going to be very athletic,” Krzyzewski said. “Not knocking (redshirt sophomore center) Marshall (Plumlee), but he hasn’t played yet. He’s still in a boot. So our team is going to be built around versatility — guys in multiple positions, probably more pressing and up and down. Not that we haven’t gone up and down, but we haven’t created action with our defense. Although we were a very good defensive team (last year), next year we will try to create action defensively.”

CDu
05-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Note to those suggesting Plumlee will be our starting center and an impact player next year. It doesn't sound as though Coach K is expecting that at all.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Marshall will get some minutes though, and get a chance to prove himself at full speed/health.

Most guys his size mature out later in their career, so I hope he keeps on plugging away in whatever role he has this year and keeps striving to get better. Zoubek really only had one great month of his entire career, but it was at the right time and made him part of Duke folklore.

Marshall seems to have a lot of energy and speed, it's a matter of having the game slow down for him through maturity and experience (in games and in practice).

Back to the central point, I really look forward to seeing the D create O. The 1986 team was perhaps my favorite, and a large part of it was Tommy, Billy and Johnny getting the ball in the open court after a pick. Starting to get cranked!

miramar
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I can say from personal experience that if you eat six times a day, you put on weight very quickly. But I'd like to know what Amile is eating since it has also made him grow an inch to 6-9 and if eat the same stuff maybe I can get up to 6-2.

UrinalCake
05-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I can say from personal experience that if you eat six times a day, you put on weight very quickly. But I'd like to know what Amile is eating since it has also made him grow an inch to 6-9 and if eat the same stuff maybe I can get up to 6-2.

I've found that not exercising is another great way to gain weight. Not sure that's quite what we want though 8-)

RepoMan
05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Beer helps too

nocilla
05-30-2013, 10:16 AM

I think it is more important to be at a growing age. At our age the only growing we can expect is of our waistlines.

jipops
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Note to those suggesting Plumlee will be our starting center and an impact player next year. It doesn't sound as though Coach K is expecting that at all.

And reading this further validates my expectation that Marshall will mostly be seeing spot duty with this team. From this it sounds to me like we're loading up on ball pressure defense ("create action defensively") to create scoring opportunities while Jefferson and Hairston will kind of be the lunch pail guys.

luvdahops
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Amile seemed to be 6-9 or pretty close already during this past season, judging from whenever he stood next to Hood or Murphy (clearly taller than both) or Josh (several inches taller). His 7-1 wingspan is also a big asset in defending inside.

BD80
05-30-2013, 10:29 AM

And reading this further validates my expectation that Marshall will mostly be seeing spot duty with this team. From this it sounds to me like we're loading up on ball pressure defense ("create action defensively") to create scoring opportunities while Jefferson and Hairston will kind of be the lunch pail guys.

Vezzini: "Ha ha! You fools! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when motivation is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha... "

Dark Helmet: "I can't believe you fell for the oldest trick in the book! What a goof! What's with you man? Come on!"

Just as Coach K's comments last year that Marshall was one of our 6 best players was a bit of hyperbole, so too must we take this year's comments with a grain of salt. It may just be that he is attempting to motivate Marshall, and maybe, just maybe, trying to take a bit of the pressure off an untested player who could be extremely valuable to this year's team.

Kedsy
05-30-2013, 10:33 AM

And note to those thinking Amile will be too skinny to guard the 5, it doesn't sound like Coach K agrees with that, either. ;)

Though it's always risky to rely too heavily on coach-speak, reading the various articles posted today, the following stood out to me:

-- K downplaying Marshall's chances

-- Amile's weight up to 214 with a goal of 220; K saying Amile's “going to keep getting bigger” and stronger.

-- Wojo emphasizing Rodney can defend 1 through 4

-- K saying not to get hung up on positions

My interpretation of the above is (a) Amile is going to start at center; and (b) we're going to have a fair amount of time in each game with Jabari playing C and Rodney playing PF, along with three guards.

Obviously things could change between now and October, but my guess is the above two points won't change all that much.

CDu
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
And note to those thinking Amile will be too skinny to guard the 5, it doesn't sound like Coach K agrees with that, either. ;)

Though it's always risky to rely too heavily on coach-speak, reading the various articles posted today, the following stood out to me:

-- K downplaying Marshall's chances

-- Amile's weight up to 214 with a goal of 220; K saying Amile's “going to keep getting bigger” and stronger.

-- Wojo emphasizing Rodney can defend 1 through 4

-- K saying not to get hung up on positions

My interpretation of the above is (a) Amile is going to start at center; and (b) we're going to have a fair amount of time in each game with Jabari playing C and Rodney playing PF, along with three guards.

Obviously things could change between now and October, but my guess is the above two points won't change all that much.

I agree with a lot of those things, but I still expect to see Parker play quite a bit at C. Because even if Jefferson is 215 now, that's 20 lbs lighter than Parker. I think both players (along with Hairston and Plumlee) are going to see meaningful time at the 5.

That said, I'm much less uncomfortable with the idea of Jefferson playing some C if he's 220+ than I was when he was 195. But I still strongly suspect that Parker (at 235+) is going to see quite a bit of time at C.

What I take from this is the following:
1. Coach K doesn't currently have high expectations for Marshall next year
2. Coach K does expect Jefferson to be in the C mix
3. Coach K expects to throw a number of "interchangeable" bodies at the 4 and 5 spot, including Hood (along with Jefferson, Parker, and Hairston, obviously)

Based on this, I'd not be surprised to still see a fair amount of undersized wings (with Dawkins and Sulaimon seeing some time at SF). If Hood starts seeing time at the 4, then (unless Murphy or Ojeleye jumps Dawkins in the rotation) we're going to be playing small ball.

matt1
05-30-2013, 10:58 AM
As the team manager for a rival high school to Amile Jefferson's, I have to say that he is a great player and that he can compete as our center, provided that he gain weight.

MChambers
05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I think you're all reading way too much into this. The key point to me is that this team has a lot of big, versatile players, especially when compared to the last two years. Most of the time, we'll have good size at the 2, 3, and 4 positions, and not great size at the 5. We'll also be more of an attacking defense.

Too early to say if Marshall will be a big factor or whether we'll play small much.

BD80
05-30-2013, 11:36 AM
... My interpretation of the above is (a) Amile is going to start at center; and (b) we're going to have a fair amount of time in each game with Jabari playing C and Rodney playing PF, along with three guards.

Sigh. The need to label that which we do not understand ;)

Of course, you MEANT to say, we'll see Jabari and Rodney along with three other PLAYERS.

It sounds like Coach K is girding for a season long definitional battle with the press about player positions. What encourages me the most is Amile embracing the challenge of becoming a post defender.

As for definitions, if the opposing team never gets the ball across halfcourt, who played center?

Newton_14
05-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Beer helps too Especially when combined with greasy pizza. :)

CDu
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Sigh. The need to label that which we do not understand ;)

Of course, you MEANT to say, we'll see Jabari and Rodney along with three other PLAYERS.

It sounds like Coach K is girding for a season long definitional battle with the press about player positions. What encourages me the most is Amile embracing the challenge of becoming a post defender.

As for definitions, if the opposing team never gets the ball across halfcourt, who played center?

How about we rephrase it ever so slightly for the nitpicky. When Kedsy says "Amile will play center", he means that he thinks "Amile will defend the opposing team's center primarily." Other teams are going to have guys at specific positions on offense. As such, we will have to defend those positions, regardless of how you label it.

As for me, I think that Parker, Jefferson, Hairston, Plumlee, and maybe Hood, Murphy, and even Ojeleye will take turns defending the opposing team's post. I don't think any of our bigs have shown the ability to be the primary assignment on an opposing big. As such, what I expect to see is a bunch of switching and pressure defense to try to prevent the opponents from getting too many opportunities to exploit us inside.

That doesn't mean that we won't still have PLENTY of half-court possessions in which players have to defend a center. It's at those times that we'll see a variety of guys taking turns handling the assignment. And that group will include the guys I mentioned above.

Billy Dat
05-30-2013, 12:02 PM

If we are going to be a high pressure D with turnovers being the focus, I wouldn't be surprised if we deploy a scheme similar to what the small-ball Miami Heat are running....lots of doubles off of high screens and and pick and roll action with fast rotations. We'll try to force the offense to make quick decisions in chaotic environments and use much of the shot clock just trying to get "in their stuff". A defense like that can be highly effective, or get destroyed by heady point guards and big men who can set up early and have good hands and a post game.

Like anything, small ball can be a lot of fun of its executed at its highest level and can be death if its not. K's going to play his best 8 (maybe 9, maybe....)...looks like Marshall's going to be outside looking in.

UrinalCake
05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Hearing that they've set Amile's "goal weight" at 220 makes a lot of sense to me, and allays my fear that he would bulk up too much and thus lose his quickness and athleticism. The coaches are not trying to transform him into a plodding center, they simply want to add strength to complement his current playing style. I also think we shouldn't undersell Marshall too much based on this interview. But it does seem like we're going to adopt a playing style that doesn't involve him, so it will be interesting to see what happens when he does come into the game. Will we revert to a more traditional half-court defense? Or will we maintain the same pressing style all the time and have to work Marshall into it?

ChillinDuke
05-30-2013, 12:10 PM
As for me, I think that Parker, Jefferson, Hairston, Plumlee, and maybe Hood, Murphy, and even Ojeleye will take turns defending the opposing team's post. I don't think any of our bigs have shown the ability to be the primary assignment on an opposing big. As such, what I expect to see is a bunch of switching and pressure defense to try to prevent the opponents from getting too many opportunities to exploit us inside.

I agree with this. That's how I envision it too. At least at this juncture.

How about we rephrase it ever so slightly for the nitpicky. When Kedsy says "Amile will play center", he means that he thinks "Amile will defend the opposing team's center primarily." Other teams are going to have guys at specific positions on offense. As such, we will have to defend those positions, regardless of how you label it.

That doesn't mean that we won't still have PLENTY of half-court possessions in which players have to defend a center. It's at those times that we'll see a variety of guys taking turns handling the assignment. And that group will include the guys I mentioned above.

But I think the point others are making is that, in agreeing with the first paragraph, I see no reason for the other two paragraphs. With all the guys you list at or around 6'8" and many of them with adequate weight/length, I think we will have a more than reasonable committee with which to guard the vast majority of opposing bigs.

Now, for the teams with the Alex Len's of the world, I imagine we will make life miserable trying to disrupt their big's getting the ball. And failing that, I imagine we'll add a small dose of the "let them have theirs" strategy.

Ughhhhh - just checked the calendar and it's only May 30th.

- Chillin

I agree with this. Which I think is why some are questioning this

roywhite
05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Hearing that they've set Amile's "goal weight" at 220 makes a lot of sense to me, and allays my fear that he would bulk up too much and thus lose his quickness and athleticism. The coaches are not trying to transform him into a plodding center, they simply want to add strength to complement his current playing style. I also think we shouldn't undersell Marshall too much based on this interview. But it does seem like we're going to adopt a playing style that doesn't involve him, so it will be interesting to see what happens when he does come into the game. Will we revert to a more traditional half-court defense? Or will we maintain the same pressing style all the time and have to work Marshall into it?

May require adjustments, but Marshall is not slow for his size.

BD80
05-30-2013, 12:36 PM
How about we rephrase it ever so slightly for the nitpicky. When Kedsy says "Amile will play center", he means that he thinks "Amile will defend the opposing team's center primarily." Other teams are going to have guys at specific positions on offense. As such, we will have to defend those positions, regardless of how you label it. ...

First, you should understand that, in the last millennium, Kedsy and I lived in the same house and attended games together. There are few, if any, posters whose opinions I respect as much as his. I typically don't bother to "nitpick" those unable to defend themselves.

Further, I used an emoticon!!!! Doesn't that ward off all accusations of nitpicking???

And frankly, I think we are talking past each other. Perhaps momentarily, in instances like an inbound play under the basket, there will be "positional" match-ups on defense. My point, and I believe Coach K's point, is that our defense will NOT be based on position, but on ball pressure and continuous switching, help, and taking away passing lanes. We will defend the BALL and the COURT rather than players. Our post defense will likely be primarily fronting anyone in the paint with an emphasis on sliding a wing to help on lob entries. With the athleticism we have on the wings, it should be fun to watch. And yes, I agree with the propositions that Amile will be our primary post defender and that we will see Jabari there as well. I also believe we will see more and more of Marshall as the year progresses. I hope we see more and more of Amile as he eats 6 times a day (is Duke allowed to give the players mass gaining supplements?)

CDu
05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
And frankly, I think we are talking past each other. Perhaps momentarily, in instances like an inbound play under the basket, there will be "positional" match-ups on defense. My point, and I believe Coach K's point, is that our defense will NOT be based on position, but on ball pressure and continuous switching, help, and taking away passing lanes. We will defend the BALL and the COURT rather than players.

I think it will be much more than "momentarily." It will be a relevant consideration in nearly every possession that reaches the half court setting. Yes, we will try to combat the issue with athleticism and pressure. But whenever the offense gets set, somebody is going to have to defend the opposing center.

Our post defense will likely be primarily fronting anyone in the paint with an emphasis on sliding a wing to help on lob entries. With the athleticism we have on the wings, it should be fun to watch. And yes, I agree with the propositions that Amile will be our primary post defender and that we will see Jabari there as well. I also believe we will see more and more of Marshall as the year progresses. I hope we see more and more of Amile as he eats 6 times a day (is Duke allowed to give the players mass gaining supplements?)

People have brought up fronting the post before. That's a very dangerous thing to do, especially if the fronter has a major weight disadvantage. Teams that spread the floor with a big man can then have that big man "root out" the fronter until the entry lob pass is very easy. Then, the help defense has a choice of helping (and leaving their man open on the perimeter) or staying at home (and leaving the post man on an island). It also puts us at an even greater disadvantage on the boards.

I'm not saying that the "front and help" approach can't work in a lot of cases. And the pressure defense we can apply on the perimeter will help too. But allowing the opponent to get an offensive player between you and the basket is a very dangerous gamble.

BD80
05-30-2013, 02:18 PM
I think it will be much more than "momentarily." It will be a relevant consideration in nearly every possession that reaches the half court setting. Yes, we will try to combat the issue with athleticism and pressure. But whenever the offense gets set, somebody is going to have to defend the opposing center.

Here is where the argument drifts apart. My point is that we be constantly trying to PREVENT the opponent from getting "set" in an offense. I know the "Z" word is forbidden, but particularly when we trap out front or on the wings, the defense will be less geared to man-to-man than to overplaying passing lanes. The post area will be a key area, but its defense will depend more on length, quickness and jumping ability than on physical strength.

People have brought up fronting the post before. That's a very dangerous thing to do, especially if the fronter has a major weight disadvantage. Teams that spread the floor with a big man can then have that big man "root out" the fronter until the entry lob pass is very easy. Then, the help defense has a choice of helping (and leaving their man open on the perimeter) or staying at home (and leaving the post man on an island). It also puts us at an even greater disadvantage on the boards.

I'm not saying that the "front and help" approach can't work in a lot of cases. And the pressure defense we can apply on the perimeter will help too. But allowing the opponent to get an offensive player between you and the basket is a very dangerous gamble.

I predict we will get slaughtered on the boards next year. But with our roster, is there any choice? Turnovers and very low shot % by opponents will turn games in our favor. Conversely, I think our shooting % will be extremely high, bolstered by fast break points.

If we play against a strong post player who can "root out" our defender fronting him, he could also easily back him down in the paint for an easy basket. There aren't as many as people seem to think, but this is why I think Marshall will get increased minutes throughout the year. Come tourney time, we will need at least some straight up post defense, and Marshall is our only option there.

CDu
05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Here is where the argument drifts apart. My point is that we be constantly trying to PREVENT the opponent from getting "set" in an offense. I know the "Z" word is forbidden, but particularly when we trap out front or on the wings, the defense will be less geared to man-to-man than to overplaying passing lanes. The post area will be a key area, but its defense will depend more on length, quickness and jumping ability than on physical strength.

I don't disagree that our defense will be geared to try to prevent half-court offense from occurring. I don't know of any team that can actually accomplish this for most of a game - especially not against quality teams. We will spend quite a fair amount of time playing half-court defense. Not as much as in years past. But it won't be a rarity at all. And against good teams, they'll be able to make us pay for trying to compensate for a lack of post defense.

If we play against a strong post player who can "root out" our defender fronting him, he could also easily back him down in the paint for an easy basket. There aren't as many as people seem to think, but this is why I think Marshall will get increased minutes throughout the year. Come tourney time, we will need at least some straight up post defense, and Marshall is our only option there.

And if Marshall shows that he's ready to contribute significant minutes, I agree that he'll get significant minutes. I'm just not sure that he'll be so ready next year. Time will tell.

UrinalCake
05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I predict we will get slaughtered on the boards next year.

I'm not expecting rebounding to be a strength, but I disagree that we'll get slaughtered. Most of the time we'll have three guys on the court who are in the 6'8 range, plus Rasheed at 6'4-ish. We'll have length and athleticism. Contrast that with last year when our backcourt was usually Rasheed, Seth and Quinn. We got almost no rebounding from our 1-3 positions. Kelly had height but I would call him an average rebounder due in large part to hanging around the perimeter, and Mason was of course an excellent rebounder.

So in total we'll have more size than last year and more guys who play close to the basket. Granted, last year we were a poor rebounding team, but I think we'll be better. More intangibly, our defensive style will be active and we'll have plenty of competition for playing time, so guys will be motivated to go after the ball.

ChillinDuke
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm not expecting rebounding to be a strength, but I disagree that we'll get slaughtered. Most of the time we'll have three guys on the court who are in the 6'8 range, plus Rasheed at 6'4-ish. We'll have length and athleticism. Contrast that with last year when our backcourt was usually Rasheed, Seth and Quinn. We got almost no rebounding from our 1-3 positions. Kelly had height but I would call him an average rebounder due in large part to hanging around the perimeter, and Mason was of course an excellent rebounder.

So in total we'll have more size than last year and more guys who play close to the basket. Granted, last year we were a poor rebounding team, but I think we'll be better. More intangibly, our defensive style will be active and we'll have plenty of competition for playing time, so guys will be motivated to go after the ball.

While I wouldn't bet on us being a rebounding juggernaut next year, I do wonder if your line of thinking will prove true. One need only look as far as UNC last year, which was largely characterized as "going small" for the 2nd half of the year. Yet ESPN says they were 19th in the country in rebounding. By comparison, we were listed as 213th.

Not having a "center" does not mean rebounding must suffer.

- Chillin

PS - Not to mention, we had a "center".

OldPhiKap
05-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I also would disagree wtih "slaughter" but this has never been our strong suit. It seems to me that if you overplay and shoot the passing lanes, and then rotate help defense if beat, you leave the back side open for rebounds. Maybe someone who knows more (i.e. all of you) can correct me on that if wrong.

Offensively, I think that Hood and Amile are both very quick and can get a good number of rebounds. Like last year, we will need the guards to rebound well and I think Quinn is more than capable.

It will take a team effort to compete on the boards. Nothing new here.

roywhite
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I also would disagree wtih "slaughter" but this has never been our strong suit. It seems to me that if you overplay and shoot the passing lanes, and then rotate help defense if beat, you leave the back side open for rebounds. Maybe someone who knows more (i.e. all of you) can correct me on that if wrong.

Offensively, I think that Hood and Amile are both very quick and can get a good number of rebounds. Like last year, we will need the guards to rebound well and I think Quinn is more than capable.

It will take a team effort to compete on the boards. Nothing new here.

Yes, I think you are correct about our style historically, and it's effect on rebounding.

Mason did a great job on the boards last year, and I think other players sometimes regarded that as more his responsibility than one of their's. I fully expect Coach K and his staff to make it clear that rebounding will be a shared responsibility for the 2013-14 team. I can see rebounding, while not necessarily a strength, to be better than many expect.

Turtleboy
05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Further, I used an emoticon!!!! Doesn't that ward off all accusations of nitpicking???

And frankly, I think we are talking past each other. Perhaps momentarily, in instances like an inbound play under the basket, there will be "positional" match-ups on defense. My point, and I believe Coach K's point, is that our defense will NOT be based on position, but on ball pressure and continuous switching, help, and taking away passing lanes. We will defend the BALL and the COURT rather than players. Actually, we will defend our goal. We don't defend opposing players any more than a defense attorney defends the DA. How's that for nitpicking?

While I'm at it, nobody scores the basketball. You score a field goal.

Sandman
05-30-2013, 04:00 PM
I predict we will get slaughtered on the boards next year. But with our roster, is there any choice? Turnovers and very low shot % by opponents will turn games in our favor. Conversely, I think our shooting % will be extremely high, bolstered by fast break points.

With the size and athleticism of our players, we definitely SHOULD NOT get slaughtered on the boards. In many games shorter, quicker teams who block out well win the rebounding wars; however, I think more so with defensive rebounds than offensive ones.

Turtleboy
05-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Just as Coach K's comments last year that Marshall was one of our 6 best players was a bit of hyperbole, so too must we take this year's comments with a grain of salt. It may just be that he is attempting to motivate Marshall, and maybe, just maybe, trying to take a bit of the pressure off an untested player who could be extremely valuable to this year's team.Bingo.

Kedsy
05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm not expecting rebounding to be a strength, but I disagree that we'll get slaughtered.

Count me in this camp, too. If you look at last year's starting lineup, here was the rebounding distribution:

Mason: 10.0
Ryan: 5.3
Rasheed: 3.4
Seth: 2.5
Quinn: 3.8
TOTAL: 25.0

If next year's starting lineup distribution looks approximately like the following:

Amile: 6
Jabari: 6
Rodney: 5.5
Rasheed: 4
Quinn: 4
TOTAL: 26.0

It's about the same, a little better. We can't compare apples-to-apples with the benches, due to Ryan's injury, but next season's bench shouldn't be any worse at rebounding than this year's bench. Which means our overall rebounding next year should be at least as good as it was this past year. Since rebounding was this past year's team worst attribute, I admit this isn't saying much, but despite not having a Mason in the middle next season I'm fairly confident we won't digress on the boards.

Kedsy
05-30-2013, 04:37 PM
First, you should understand that, in the last millennium, Kedsy and I lived in the same house and attended games together.

It's true. BD80 was one of my mentors.

BD80
05-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Wow. Has anybody ever lost credibility more quickly? Nixon at Watergate?

Kedsy
05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Wow. Has anybody ever lost credibility more quickly? Nixon at Watergate?

You talking about you? Or me? Could easily go either way.

ChillinDuke
05-30-2013, 05:44 PM
First, you should understand that, in the last millennium, Kedsy and I lived in the same house and attended games together.

I have a lot of questions. None of which will be asked on this board. :D :rolleyes:

- Chillin

superdave
05-30-2013, 05:48 PM
If next year's starting lineup distribution looks approximately like the following:

Amile: 6
Jabari: 6
Rodney: 5.5
Rasheed: 4
Quinn: 4
TOTAL: 26.0

If this is next year's starting lineup, the haters will be upset that there isnt a white guy starting they can all hate.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Rodney Hood play. I dont think I've seen a minute of him.

But if those three guys are our front court, and Rasheed is our 2, we have an incredible amount of interchangability on defense. Lance Thomas would be proud.

Super "Can't Wait" Dave

MChambers
05-30-2013, 05:59 PM
You talking about you? Or me? Could easily go either way.

You both just lost all credibility. Of course, this is an Internet board, so how much credibility do any of us have?

OldPhiKap
05-30-2013, 07:57 PM
You both just lost all credibility. Of course, this is an Internet board, so how much credibility do any of us have?

I think less of myself every time I post.

jimsumner
05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing Rodney Hood play. I dont think I've seen a minute of him.

Super "Can't Wait" Dave

It's a small sample size and not exactly a real game. But Hood did play in the Blue-White game back in October at CTC. I thought he was the best player on the floor and that was a floor that included Mason Plumlee, Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly. Hood was matched against Rasheed Sulaimon and Sulaimon simply could not keep him away from the rim. Even when he stayed in front of him, Hood just elevated over him. Over everybody. Hood is quick, smooth and can jump out of the proverbial gym. Serious hops. And a great handle. And he's a lefty, which might flummox opponents. If they aren't already sufficiently flummoxed by a 6-8 guy who is a blur.

I talked to him yesterday and he did say that he was hitting the weights and getting stronger. He looks stronger. He was a decent shooter at Mississippi State but not lights-out. He knows that moving to lights-out-territory will help him maximize his athleticism. Then it becomes pick-your-poison for the other team.

But the Duke coaches just rave about him. I think he could be a first-team All-ACC caliber player next season, maybe better than that. I to am really looking forward to seeing him suit up for real.

OldPhiKap
05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
If this is next year's starting lineup, the haters will be upset that there isnt a white guy starting they can all hate.

But if those three guys are our front court, and Rasheed is our 2, we have an incredible amount of interchangability on defense. Lance Thomas would be proud.

Super "Can't Wait" Dave

Duke-Forum.com Presents: Rodney Hood - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2RJt3ZqOs
Cached page
By vakyl11 · 14 min · 28,095 views · Added Jul 04, 2012
Highlights of incoming 6'8 Duke transfer Rodney Hood (#4) from his 2011-2012 freshman season at Mississippi State. Hood will redshirt the 2012-2013 season ...

Not sure i linked this right. If it does not work, go to youtube and search Rodney Hood Duke-Forum MSU or something similar.

The kid may be our best transfer under K, and yes I understand each of the players that encompasses.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2013, 09:12 AM
A little personal info on Rodney, for those who do not know or may have forgotten:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205700716

Not sure which is more impressive -- making the SEC All-Freshman team and logging so much experience, or the fact that he was a National Honor Society member in high school. Either way, great fit for Duke. The fact that his mother is a school principal certainly helps one focus on the importance of academics, I assume.

UrinalCake
05-31-2013, 10:13 AM
I think we need to change the spelling of Amile's name to "AMeal." Because every chance he gets he should be eating "a meal."

roywhite
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
A little personal info on Rodney, for those who do not know or may have forgotten:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205700716

Not sure which is more impressive -- making the SEC All-Freshman team and logging so much experience, or the fact that he was a National Honor Society member in high school. Either way, great fit for Duke. The fact that his mother is a school principal certainly helps one focus on the importance of academics, I assume.

Reminds me of Tony Lang somewhat -- about the same size, from the same general geographical area (Duke doesn't get many from Alabama/Mississippi), and from an educator's family.

I expect their games may be different, with Rodney Hood having more shooting range.

CDu
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Reminds me of Tony Lang somewhat -- about the same size, from the same general geographical area (Duke doesn't get many from Alabama/Mississippi), and from an educator's family.

I expect their games may be different, with Rodney Hood having more shooting range.

Their games are entirely different. Hood is a SG/SF in terms of skill. He can handle the ball, shoot the ball, pass the ball. Lang was a true college PF, with the more limited ballhandling and shooting skills to match.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Their games are entirely different. Hood is a SG/SF in terms of skill. He can handle the ball, shoot the ball, pass the ball. Lang was a true college PF, with the more limited ballhandling and shooting skills to match.

I'm not sure y'all are in disagreement; I think roywhite was referring to his height and background while acknowledging that their games are different. Your description of both is also accurate.

I think that the talking heads who do not take Hood's impact into account will be sorely disappointed at Duke's "overachieving" again. Heh.

CDu
05-31-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure y'all are in disagreement; I think roywhite was referring to his height and background while acknowledging that their games are different. Your description of both is also accurate.

I think that the talking heads who do not take Hood's impact into account will be sorely disappointed at Duke's "overachieving" again. Heh.

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. I was just confirming his "their games are probably different" by stating the differences.

OldPhiKap
05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. I was just confirming his "their games are probably different" by stating the differences.

Good deal.

We are really going to be able to get up and down the floor next year. I am sure part of the strategy will be to wear the other team's center out by making him haul butt every time we get the ball. I therefore would not be surprised to see some opposing centers start well, but fade towards the end. At least, that's the hope.

CDu
05-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Good deal.

We are really going to be able to get up and down the floor next year. I am sure part of the strategy will be to wear the other team's center out by making him haul butt every time we get the ball. I therefore would not be surprised to see some opposing centers start well, but fade towards the end. At least, that's the hope.

That's certainly going to have to be the hope. With 3-4 capable ballhandlers on the floor most of the game, we are best suited to run. And with the length and athleticism that we theoretically could have on the perimeter, we have the type of roster that can press and trap too. I'm glad that Coach K is thinking of going that way. It's been a long time since we've had a pressing/running team, and I'd love to see those days return.

A part of me still remains concerned that Coach K will run a lineup of Cook, two of Sulaimon/Dawkins/Thornton, Hood, and Parker for a reasonable chunk of the game, though. And that would negate a lot of the edge in length/athleticism/versatility. So hopefully we don't see much of Hood at the PF spot next year.

MChambers
05-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm at least Semi-optimistic that 90% of the time we'll have three players (or more) on the floor who are 6'8" or bigger.

CDu
05-31-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm at least Semi-optimistic that 90% of the time we'll have three players (or more) on the floor who are 6'8" or bigger.

I don't know about 90%, as I think we will see Dawkins at SF for some of the game. But 80% is, I think, reasonable.

Billy Dat
05-31-2013, 12:52 PM

I'm Semi-optimistic that our success rate with three simultaneous 6'8" players will mimic the success rate of Sex Panther cologne...."60% of the time it works all the time"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ccp-lEmoAE

OldPhiKap
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm at least Semi-optimistic

Does that make you "Ojeleyemistic?"

We need to consult with Ozzie on this.

BD80
05-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Reminds me of Tony Lang somewhat -- about the same size, ...

Hopefully he'll be 1/8" longer on the last shot of the championship game. Sigh, that one left a mark.

NSDukeFan
05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
A part of me still remains concerned that Coach K will run a lineup of Cook, two of Sulaimon/Dawkins/Thornton, Hood, and Parker for a reasonable chunk of the game, though. And that would negate a lot of the edge in length/athleticism/versatility. So hopefully we don't see much of Hood at the PF spot next year.

I don't know about 90%, as I think we will see Dawkins at SF for some of the game. But 80% is, I think, reasonable.

I think CDu and MChambers are going to be disappointed in coach K's lineups, though not the results. I expect to see lineups with Cook, and two of Sulaimon/Dawkins/Thornton for at least 10 minutes a game, just because I think all four of those players will see > 15 mpg (Cook and Sulaimon above 30 mpg), with Dawkins and/or Thornton at SF a fair bit (10 minutes or more.)
I am in the (perhaps overly optimistic) camp that feels that Duke will be fine with the defending big guys by committee approach this year. I don't think there are that many big, tall back-to-the basket scorers in college basketball that will give Duke trouble except for a few games. In those games, against mostly top teams, those big guys will have to chase after Amile, Jabari, Alex or Josh while that team's guards are pressured and Duke's overall length will make one-on-one backing down a player difficult.
Just my two cents.

Kedsy
05-31-2013, 04:00 PM

I agree it may happen that way for a decent chunk of most games. That said, a lineup of Quinn, Rasheed, Andre, Rodney, and Jabari would be very difficult to guard and should be able to outscore most teams for at least 10 or 15 minutes a game, even if that lineup doesn't have so much of a defensive edge against certain teams (due to its relatively small stature).

Troublemaker
06-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't expect to see much of Hood at the 4 except perhaps in end-of-game nursing-the-lead situations. The way Coach K talks about him, I think he basically considers Hood to be a guard in a 6'8" body. He doesn't really have the length, bulk, and mentality to play the 4 like previous 6'8" Duke players like Singler. I also have confidence in the true college 4s on the roster (Parker, Jefferson, Murphy, Hairston) that I think two of those guys will be on the court most of the time. Even Hairston will receive the typical Duke senior improvement bump and we might possibly be comfortable with him on the court for 10-15 minutes consistently.

UrinalCake
06-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree it may happen that way for a decent chunk of most games. That said, a lineup of Quinn, Rasheed, Andre, Rodney, and Jabari would be very difficult to guard and should be able to outscore most teams for at least 10 or 15 minutes a game, even if that lineup doesn't have so much of a defensive edge against certain teams (due to its relatively small stature).

I agree and I would argue that that lineup is actually MORE versatile and athletic than the expected starting lineup of Quinn/Rasheed/Hood/Parker/Jefferson. Basically we have swapped Amile for Andre. This lineup won't work against every opponent, and may not be sustainable for the entire game, but I think it could be very effective.

Ichabod Drain
06-03-2013, 09:07 AM

I have no doubts about the offensive capabilities of this lineup. That said only one person can shoot at a time and it will be hard to outscore teams without getting a rebound.

dyedwab
06-03-2013, 10:01 AM
I have no doubts about the offensive capabilities of this lineup. That said only one person can shoot at a time and it will be hard to outscore teams without getting a rebound.

I would amend this to saying "it will be hard to outscore teams without getting a stop".

Defensive rebounds and turnovers create the exact same result - an empty possession for the opponent. For the last couple of years, our defense has not turned people over like some previous Coach K teams, and last year's teams was also not as good a defensive rebounding teams as, say, 2010 (Mason excepted). Last year's team (and the teams from a the last few years), did not have the depth of athletic ability to be teams that turned opponents over a lot, thus exacerbating a defensive rebounding disadvantage that our style of play routinely causes.

Based on what Coach K has said, he expects this team to be able to turn opponents over more frequently. Thus, turnovers can help overcome rebounding deficiencies (so would having our guards be better at fundamental rebounding things like boxing out, but that's another story)

What I'm saying is that, for defensive purposes, turnovers and defensive rebounding are tradeoffs that give you the same thing. This team won't have Mason, a defensive rebounding machine, but what it will have is a number of long, quick athletic players. So we try and turn the other team over more than we have.

I'm sure someone has done the number, but I would be curious about a "Stops" statistics, and seeing how it broke down between TO's and defensive rebounds over the years.