PDA

View Full Version : Women's ACC Schedule Announced

MCFinARL
05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Next year the Duke women will play UNC and Notre Dame home and away. From a strength of schedule point of view, that is a good draw. Wake, NC State, Virginia, Maryland (no surprise here, they got away games for both Duke and Carolina), Pitt and BC will be home games; Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Syracuse and Georgia Tech will be away games. Carolina's other home and away partner is State.

Here's the link: http://www.theacc.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/052913aaa.html

Dev11
05-30-2013, 09:09 AM
And with that, the ACC office has officially raised its middle fingers at Maryland's ticket sales for the 2013-2014 athletic season.

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
And with that, the ACC office has officially raised its middle fingers at Maryland's ticket sales for the 2013-2014 athletic season.

Sounds about right. Thankful that we scheduled Connecticut this year. Can't say I'm surprised. The women got a stiffer middle finger than the men. Oh well, still top two or three in the ACC next year.

MCFinARL
05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Sounds about right. Thankful that we scheduled Connecticut this year. Can't say I'm surprised. The women got a stiffer middle finger than the men. Oh well, still top two or three in the ACC next year.

Yes, the Maryland women should be very competitive once again.

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah. The team was the walking wounded last year. Between the football team and the women's basketball team, there was double digit acl tears. Even with all that, they still made it to the sweet 16. I anticipate that it will be a three way race between Maryland, Notre Dame, and Duke for first with North Carolina close by.

ForkFondler
05-30-2013, 07:47 PM

They did get ND at home. A midwestern road trip could have been valuable experience though.

Duvall
05-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Yes, the Maryland women should be very competitive once again.

Will they?

I mean, they'll be good. But losing Hawkins will hurt, even with the injured guards coming back. Remember that Maryland would have to get a lot better to be competitive with Duke and Notre Dame for the league title, not just get back to the same level.

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Maryland still has Alyssa Thomas. She wasnt ACC Player of the year for nothing. The team is experienced, loaded, has a star player,good recruiting class, and most importantly healthy. You really think returning four players from injury from a sweet 16 team won't make a huge difference? Maryland will be competitive as usual.

Duvall
05-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Maryland still has Alyssa Thomas. She wasnt ACC Player of the year for nothing. The team is experienced, loaded, has a star player,good recruiting class, and most importantly healthy. You really think returning four players from injury from a sweet 16 team won't make a huge difference? Maryland will be competitive as usual.

Duke should be more experienced, more loaded, has more star players and a better recruiting class. We'll see how the health shakes out.

throatybeard
05-30-2013, 08:56 PM
As long as they don't have Vicki Brick, my soul is healed.

Wait, no, I lied. That wound is eternal.

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Duke should be more experienced, more loaded, has more star players and a better recruiting class. We'll see how the health shakes out.

I'm not sure about more experienced or loaded. Better recruiting class sure. More Star players maybe. We shall see. If you underestimate this Maryland team though, you may be looking up. :)

MCFinARL
05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm not sure about more experienced or loaded. Better recruiting class sure. More Star players maybe. We shall see. If you underestimate this Maryland team though, you may be looking up. :)

Well, while I agree it would not be a good idea to underestimate Maryland, Duke will certainly have a lot of experience next year. The only player who graduated is Vernerey. Duke will feature 5 seniors with lots of experience and lots of talent--Liston, Peters, Gray, Wells, Jackson--as well as juniors Elizabeth Williams and Ka'lia Johnson (who averaged over 10 minutes a game last year) and sophomore Alexis Jones. To that impressive group they add not only their new recruits but two promising redshirt freshmen coming back from injury--Katie Heckman and Amber Henson.

Here is a Turtle
05-30-2013, 11:18 PM
Maryland has quite a bit of experience as well. The freshman guards last year endured trial by fire this year so there is experience there. Brene Moseley and Laurin Mincy are back from injury. Losing Mincy hurt a lot this year. Great shooter and a calming presence on the floor. I expect Alicia Devaughn to take a step forward this year after a decent season to go with the 4 seniors coming in this year. Rutland definitely had her bright moments as well. Maryland has a good mix of upper and lowerclassman. And of course there is Alyssa Thomas who basically had to put the team on her back after four players went down with ACL tears.

I'm not saying Maryland will win the ACC, especially with the way the schedule looks, but they definitely have a good shot and deserve to be put in the top tier of the ACC. A beat up Maryland got second last year.