PDA

View Full Version : Article on the best fans in college bball

jimrowe0
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/29/study-says-louisville-has-college-basketballs-best-fanbase-kentucky-7th/

devil84
05-29-2013, 04:01 PM
"What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad."

When their team is bad? Interesting way to interpret it, particularly given the records of some of the schools on the list (reminder: it's based on college basketball, not all sports).

CDu
05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
"What’s important to note here is that this isn’t a study that is supposed to determine whose fans are the most passionate. It’s sole purpose is to figure out which fan base is still spending money when their team is bad."

When their team is bad? Interesting way to interpret it, particularly given the records of some of the schools on the list (reminder: it's based on college basketball, not all sports).

Yeah, I think that was a poor explanation of what the researchers did by that author. The purpose (as I understand it) isn't to figure out which fan base is spending money when their team is bad: it's to figure out which fan base is spending the most money relative to their team's success. That's why so many really good programs are still high on the list. They do well, but their fans spend more relative to the level of success than the fans of other programs.

53n206
05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Another interpretation.
Duke and Carolina should be 1 and 2. What else but basketball can interest you in Az or Ky? We have everything in NC. So our commitment to basketball is really impressive.

hurleyfor3
05-29-2013, 08:46 PM

Well then the Chicago Cubs have the best fans in all of sports.

sagegrouse
05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I note that the Jayhawks are nowhere on the list. -- sagegrouse

BlueDevilBrowns
05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Well then the Chicago Cubs have the best fans in all of sports.

Cleveland sports fans beg to differ.

Jarhead
05-29-2013, 09:49 PM
I note that the Jayhawks are nowhere on the list. -- sagegrouse

I've heard that their chalk is running out.

-bdbd
05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
I am a Marketing professional. And as a Marketing guy, I found this study to be very interesting. They used a reasonable, quantifiable metric to measure ongoing core fan support relative to winning percentage. So two teams might have equivalent support levels, but if one is doing it while having much lower on-the-court winning success, then they rate higher in the fan-support study. I like the methodology in general.

According to a new study from the Emory Sports Marketing Analytics, which measured fan base as “a school's men's basketball revenue relative to the team's performance.” They used a model that predicted team revenues compared to a team's winning and postseason success.
The key insight is that when a team achieves revenues that greatly exceed what would be expected based on team performance, it is an indication of significant brand equity. The analysis therefore avoids bandwagon effects and gets at the core loyal fan bases.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22321420/study-louisville-has-no-1-fan-base-kentucky-no-7

1. L'ville
2. Zona
3. Duke
4. Arkansas
5. NC@CH
6. Texas
7. KY
8. Syr.
9. Marquette
10. OKSU

crimsonandblue
05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
These studies almost uniformly compare apples and oranges, as some schools, like Kansas (not pictured in the top 10) for example, generate revenue largely through a point system that is considered "unallocated" revenue (i.e., it's revenue contributed by donors for the ability to buy season tickets to all sports, so it is not allocated to any one sport). The fact is, KU's "unallocated" revenue is predominantly contributed for access to season basketball tickets. Yet, these studies repeatedly ignore these types of revenues.

Anyway, the study methodology appears to admit that they're just pulling flat DOE numbers that don't address this, but they don't seem to care, stating that they see no reason such figures are systematically inaccurate or biased. Well, they're wrong.

rsvman
05-31-2013, 02:49 PM
It strikes me as an odd study; not sure what it is, exactly, that they're attempting to measure. Revenue compared with performance? So when a team performs really well, this metric demotes it. Furthermore, what constitutes their measurement of "performance" is not spelled out.

As long as everybody understands that, then the data are what the data are.