PDA

View Full Version : Where to live in Chapel Hill-Durham?

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
A friend of mine is thinking about taking a contract at UNC Hospital (IT work) for a year or two and is wondering where he'd want to live. He's currently in San Diego, is single, and likes an area with an active social life.

At first I thought somewhere over on Rosemary St for walkability and proximity to Franklin St. But since he's 35, I'm not sure that it would be the best fit (might skew a bit young). Is there a good, walkable, social area in CH/Durham? I'm cutting out Raleigh since he'd be at UNC for work and that seems like a hassle of a commute.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

devil84
05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I guess I'd ask, "what kind of social life?" Bar scene? Outdoor groups like cycling, running, hiking? Indoor groups like book clubs, religious groups, wine tastings?

Personally, by 35, I think I had outgrown a Franklin Street "social life." (Haven't outgrown some of the restaurants in the area, but I'll eat and get out before the "night life," particularly during the academic year.) Though, if walkability is a primary issue, then I'd start looking for housing very near campus. While you may not be able to walk to work, I'd probably look at Carrboro. I think it's fairly walkable, there are many cool shops and businesses with more adult-type bars (as opposed to college bars). I have no idea what the rent would be, though.

I'll admit, though, I'm rather partial to my hometown of Durham, though I don't really know the singles social scene after college (better shade of blue, too!). The housing market is likely to be more moderately priced than Chapel Hill, too. Raleigh has some great areas that I'd recommend with a lot more knowledge than the Durham/Chapel Hill area, but the commute may be more than your friend would like. It could be a nice 30-40 minute commute down I-40 without traffic, but sometimes it can double that. There are some scheduled pavement projects on what was known as the beltline that are going to snarl traffic for the next three years that could affect the commute to Chapel Hill if you don't plan accordingly.

devildeac
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Just moved my daughter and SIL to Carrboro last summer. (They have a chappaheeya address but refuse to say they live there:rolleyes::p. See my profile to figure that one out;).) Not sure Carrboro is walking distance but I guess it depends on what part of the town from which you start. Some general thoughts are live a few miles outside town limits as they have a nice park and ride system. Get a real estate agent to help with that one, whether it be with townhomes, condos or a home purchase. It ain't cheap there but we/they found about a 40 year old house almost completely renovated that they owners couldn't sell at their rather inflated initial price and we got it for about 60K less after it spent >6 months on the market. Saw an absolute dump in Carrboro for >200K and only about 900 SF. Figure on ~$150/SF to buy. Friends of ours put their first year law school daughter with a roommate near the Friday Center on Hwy 54 for about $1500/month for a fairly new 2 BR apt but not sure what was "included" with that price. The 3 BR were >$2K/month to rent. There's a nice area 5-10 miles S. of town or less that is supposed to be nice but can't recall the name as we never looked there (Southern Village?). PM me if you'd like the names of the agents with whom we worked. Hope that's a conversation starter.

-jk
05-29-2013, 08:33 PM
... Saw an absolute dump in Carrboro for >200K and only about 900 SF. ...

Man, I miss NC prices...

-jk

bedeviled
05-29-2013, 10:31 PM
I 2nd devildeac on all accounts.
This is a no-brainer -> Carrboro. Carrboro is the appropriate age-range with hipsters, hippies, and young professionals mixed together. There is an open social scene that includes outdoor seating and meanderings. There are bookstores, record stores, live music, athletic shops, restaurants, food co-ops, and people of all persuasions. Low-cost housing is plentiful. Living approximate to the Weaver Street Market to Cat's Cradle area puts everything close by on foot. Plenty of people (emo to sundresses) bike between the Carrboro and Chapel Hill areas (the two areas are a continuum of the same street) as their daily commute, but there is also a free, very clean and reliable, bus system. Note: the CH/Carrboro and Durham transit systems do not mix.

Durham has a reinvigorated life with LOTS of new developments in the social scene. But, it is simply not worth the commute if he's working every day in CH.

As you alluded, he has outgrown most of Franklin St. as a residence. And, the hospital is on the other side of campus from Franklin St., so he'd likely be biking, driving, or bussing anyway. There are plenty of quiet places to rent in Chapel Hill, though - including places walking distance to the hospital. It's actually full of hilly, meandering areas with a mix of social demographics despite how it first appears. Thus, all around campus (approximate borders: along the CH part of 15-501, in outstretches of Carrboro to Hwy-54, down Airport Rd., along Estes) are plenty of relaxing places to rent/buy if he wants to live away from the social scene while still being close by.

Friends of ours put their first year law school daughter with a roommate near the Friday Center on Hwy 54
This was most likely Meadowmont (but could be Finley Forest). Meadowmont is a planned community with more "upscale" clientele than carrboro - hence the law student. It's like a fresh, brick village with shops, houses, apartments, conference areas. Safe, clean place to live, with a pretty easy commute to UNC (and has bus service). I wouldn't venture much past Meadowmont on 54, though, because the traffic gets bogged down during rush hour and athletic events.

There's a nice area 5-10 miles S. of town or less that is supposed to be nice but can't recall the name as we never looked there (Southern Village?).
Yes, Southern Village. It is another planned community. I think Southern Village (also on the bus route) has more to offer walking-wise than Meadowmont. Everything you need is right there. Like Meadowmont, it is fashionable and social without being in the hipster social scene. Like Meadowmont, residents will range from retirees, to professors, to young families, to students.

So, my choices are the same as devildeac's = Carrboro if he wants to be in the mix with the cool kids, Southern Village if he wants to be a tad more highfalutin or desires a village/suburb flair, Meadowmont as an alternative to Southern Village, Chapel Hill proper for a quieter home-life, Durham as unnecessary.

devildeac
05-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Man, I miss NC prices...

-jk

Seriously, -jk, this place was truly undesirable, but I understand your sentiment/s.

devildeac
05-29-2013, 10:40 PM
I 2nd devildeac on all accounts.
This is a no-brainer -> Carrboro. Carrboro is the appropriate age-range with hipsters, hippies, and young professionals mixed together. There is an open social scene that includes outdoor seating and meanderings. There are bookstores, record stores, live music, athletic shops, restaurants, food co-ops, and people of all persuasions. Low-cost housing is plentiful. Living approximate to the Weaver Street Market to Cat's Cradle area puts everything close by on foot. Plenty of people (emo to sundresses) bike between the Carrboro and Chapel Hill areas (the two areas are a continuum of the same street) as their daily commute, but there is also a free, very clean and reliable, bus system. Note: the CH/Carrboro and Durham transit systems do not mix.

Durham has a reinvigorated life with LOTS of new developments in the social scene. But, it is simply not worth the commute if he's working every day in CH.

As you alluded, he has outgrown most of Franklin St. as a residence. And, the hospital is on the other side of campus from Franklin St., so he'd likely be biking, driving, or bussing anyway. There are plenty of quiet places to rent in Chapel Hill, though - including places walking distance to the hospital. It's actually full of hilly, meandering areas with a mix of social demographics despite how it first appears. Thus, all around campus (approximate borders: along the CH part of 15-501, in outstretches of Carrboro to Hwy-54, down Airport Rd., along Estes) are plenty of relaxing places to rent/buy if he wants to live away from the social scene while still being close by.

This was most likely Meadowmont (but could be Finley Forest). Meadowmont is a planned community with more "upscale" clientele than carrboro - hence the law student. It's like a fresh, brick village with shops, houses, apartments, conference areas. Safe, clean place to live, with a pretty easy commute to UNC (and has bus service). I wouldn't venture much past Meadowmont on 54, though, because the traffic gets bogged down during rush hour and athletic events.

Yes, Southern Village. It is another planned community. I think Southern Village (also on the bus route) has more to offer walking-wise than Meadowmont. Everything you need is right there. Like Meadowmont, it is fashionable and social without being in the hipster social scene. Like Meadowmont, residents will range from retirees, to professors, to young families, to students.

So, my choices are the same as devildeac's = Carrboro if he wants to be in the mix with the cool kids, Southern Village if he wants to be a tad more highfalutin or desires a village/suburb flair, Meadowmont as an alternative to Southern Village, Chapel Hill proper for a quieter home-life, Durham as unnecessary.

This is even a better summary than mine. Plus, bedeviled's memory is better but I didn't perform too badly:o.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
There are plenty of quiet places to rent in Chapel Hill

...especially if he gets something near the Dean Dome! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/21.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow, thanks for the replies, Carrboro is a great suggestion. I think he's into that bar/live music scene, so it could be a good fit without being too young.

Thanks again

HaveFunExpectToWin
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies, Carrboro is a great suggestion. I think he's into that bar/live music scene, so it could be a good fit without being too young.

Thanks again

I emailed the thread to my friend and he wanted to express his thanks to everyone for being so insanely nice.

Cheers

DevilWearsPrada
05-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Thanks again

I lived in Chapel Hill for 1 year, and lived off 15/501, closer to the Carrboro side of the town. Very quiet and easy to access and get to downtown Chapel Hill, when needed.

During Spring and Summer on Friday evenings, The Carolina Inn has an event called "Fridays on the Front Porch." Families, old and young, students, locals and anyone enjoying good music, gathers on the Front Lawn of the Carolina Inn to listen to a good band, and you can buy Tailgate food and beer and wine.