PDA

View Full Version : Seth's progress

dball
05-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Seth says his recovery is going better than expected.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/May-2013/Duke-graduate-Seth-Curry-ahead-of-schedule-with-po

roywhite
05-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Seth says his recovery is going better than expected.

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/May-2013/Duke-graduate-Seth-Curry-ahead-of-schedule-with-po

Good for Seth.

Almost hate to say this, but maybe the better choice would have been to have the surgery initially?

He's talking about playing again 2 to 2.5 months after surgery?
Say mid-September, 2012 + 2.5 months = healthy and starting to play be early December.

What say we second-guessers?

Bluedog
05-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Good for Seth.

Almost hate to say this, but maybe the better choice would have been to have the surgery initially?

He's talking about playing again 2 to 2.5 months after surgery?
Say mid-September, 2012 + 2.5 months = healthy and starting to play be early December.

What say we second-guessers?

I would say that from a "wanting to make the NBA-perspective," Seth having surgery at the beginning of last season not being able to play at all through potentially early January (as the initial timeline was an expected three months) would have hurt his chances. I think he successfully displayed throughout his senior season what kind of scorer he is, which should at least get NBA GMs to give him a look. As stated in the article, they're just concerned with his PG skills. But sitting out that long at the beginning of the season would have been a detriment to his ability to contribute later and illustrate his scoring prowess to NBA teams as he didn't demonstrate enough on that front his junior year. So, I'd say holding off on the surgery was a smart business decision as long as the injury wasn't further adversely affected by waiting - sounded like he just had to learn to deal with pain while playing, but there wasn't really any major additional inherent risk.

Now, it's possible he won't be at peak condition in summer league games/training camp, so that could hurt him in that regard, but I don't think he was really much on the radar before his great senior season, so he probably wouldn't have even been given the chance to show what he's capable of. I don't think Seth will be drafted, but I'm sure a few teams will reach out to gauge his interest level and then he will be able to choose where he wants to try out (as Coach K says, it's almost better to not be drafted at all than in the second round because you then get to pick your situation).

Glad to hear he's ahead of schedule on the recovery front.